Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-05-2024, 06:06 AM   #81
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Is it possible that in the old days the reason you we're not allowed to move the master fader is because you had outboard effects after it that would have changed sound quality if you moved it? On my Reaper Master fader all the effects are pre-fader so any change in the master does not change the sound quality at all.
Reason is that there are dedicated ways to handle the monitoring level. This is just not what a master fader is supposed to do, neither on a console nor in a daw. I'm aware that many people abuse their master faders. It's still unprofessional and it's far from old school to keep the master fader untouched.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:52 AM   #82
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Reason is that there are dedicated ways to handle the monitoring level. This is just not what a master fader is supposed to do, neither on a console nor in a daw. I'm aware that many people abuse their master faders. It's still unprofessional and it's far from old school to keep the master fader untouched.

It's just a fader SonicAxiom and can be used for controlling volumes very nicely. I have a USB volume control TotalMix so I don't see what the big deal is ? I'm currently matching volume levels for the 10 songs of our new album and use 13.5 lufs for their base level with -1db true peak and I also compare them to reference tracks. What is it you think I'm missing? Btw, the tracks sound fantastic.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:03 AM   #83
nofish

Quote:
It's still unprofessional and it's far from old school to keep the master fader untouched.
Then why is it there in the first place?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:11 AM   #84
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Then why is it there in the first place?
To alter the volume of your master mix, maybe?

Old 03-05-2024, 07:37 AM   #85
SonicAxiom

Quote:
It's just a fader SonicAxiom and can be used for controlling volumes very nicely. I have a USB volume control TotalMix so I don't see what the big deal is ?...
No, it's not "just a fader". Why do you think professional recording and broadcast consoles have a dedicated monitoring section incl. dedicated monitor outputs and a dedicated monitor knob? Reaper can (and should) be configured to work in the same way. Mine is. The master fader's duty (console or DAW) is solely to adjust the volume of a running master mix and this fader is not supposed to be (ab)used to adjust monitoring levels. Is this not tought where you live? I'm aware that amateurs do it all the time. If you have no other means to adjust your monitoring level than using the master fader, you have no decent monitoring environment configured yet.

Just use the DAW return fader in TotalMix to adjust the monitor level and let Reaper master fader follow the master level automation.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:01 AM   #86
Coachz

You have a way that works for you based on old studios and I have a way that works for me. How is my mix specifically suffering from my way ?

Coachz Repo
Old 03-05-2024, 08:13 AM   #87
SonicAxiom

Quote:
You have a way that works for you based on old studios and I have a way that works for me. How is my mix specifically suffering from my way ?
It's not "my way", I'm simply using the features the way they have been designed to operate for various reasons. BTW, you have not answered my question, however, we should not hijack this thread to discuss the monitoring topic. You can PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #88
Coachz

Quote:
It's not "my way", I'm simply using the features the way they have been designed to operate for various reasons. BTW, you have not answered my question, however, we should not hijack this thread to discuss the monitoring topic. You can PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Regarding why they have always done it that way I suspect it's because they had outboard gear after the master bus that would change the sound quality if they change the master volume. Things are different in the DAW world just like the unlimited headroom that tracks have that they never used to have.

So at the moment I don't see any downside to using the master volume as a volume control since all the effects are pre-fader. If I'm missing something please enlighten me.

I made a new thread here for us
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....14#post2764714

Coachz Repo
Old 03-15-2024, 11:48 AM   #89
Coachz

J Reverb,

Do you think it's going to be possible to get the Big Ass Fader to work for normal Vol/Pan/Mute envs and also the fx parameter envelopes ?

Coachz Repo