Old 03-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #201
MartinTL
Human being with feelings

Hey FTC

Did you add a max height with the recent changes? I used to be able to make it blend in with most of my themes, but I can't shrink it as much I used to be able to, f.ex.:

A very minor detail, but I would also love to be able to offset the text within GridBox a few pixels up and down - sometimes when trying to make it blend with a theme, other text boxes have a slight text offset.

Best
Martin
MartinTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 03:20 AM   #202
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTL View Post
Hey FTC

Did you add a max height with the recent changes? I used to be able to make it blend in with most of my themes, but I can't shrink it as much I used to be able to, f.ex.:
Is this as small as you can make it? In theory the minimum size shouldn't have changed, but it might have been affected by changes to scaling. Do you use window scaling (150%,200% etc.)? What theme is this?
Quote:
A very minor detail, but I would also love to be able to offset the text within GridBox a few pixels up and down - sometimes when trying to make it blend with a theme, other text boxes have a slight text offset.
Added a font Y offset setting under "Customize > Font" in v1.7.1.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:40 AM   #203
MartinTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Is this as small as you can make it? In theory the minimum size shouldn't have changed, but it might have been affected by changes to scaling. Do you use window scaling (150%,200% etc.)? What theme is this?

Added a font Y offset setting under "Customize > Font" in v1.7.1.
24 pixels is the lowest it gets, I can't lower it manually with the mouse or write e.g. "22" in the "Size"-prompt.

Right now I'm on my Macbook Pro 16" (retina), so should be no window scaling.
Theme is CSIX 3 (Narrow Extended) but I have the same issue in other themes.

Great with added text offset, thank you!
Old 03-17-2024, 04:50 AM   #204
FeedTheCat

Quote:
24 pixels is the lowest it gets, I can't lower it manually with the mouse or write e.g. "22" in the "Size"-prompt.

Right now I'm on my Macbook Pro 16" (retina), so should be no window scaling.
Theme is CSIX 3 (Narrow Extended) but I have the same issue in other themes.
Hmmm, then the script is detecting a wrong screen scaling of 2 (minimum size is 12). Which does make sense as retina displays have a higher pixel density... but there appears to be something special about retina scaling... I'll have to test on a retina Mac when i get the chance. This also affects other stuff in Gridbox that will not look right.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:35 AM   #205
MartinTL

Very understandable. Let me know if I can be of help (testing / screenshot etc.)

A max height of e.g. 10px would probably do the trick for my specific case, but I understand the need for a proper fix / understanding how scaling works differently on various screens.

M
Old 03-17-2024, 03:14 PM   #206
FeedTheCat

@smandrap

Did the scaling changes actually work for your external monitor?

I'm a bit confused... I tried with a retina macbook and indeed the scaling is wrong. The OS apparently does the scaling itself, so no need for Gridbox to do anything. Unfortunately this is not real scaling, so it doesn't look ultra crisp. But when I moved reaper to a 1080p external monitor, the size of Gridbox was also adapted (by the OS)... Not sure what's going on... Maybe your retina screen is actually high resolution and uses real pixel scaling (and not fake scaling or whatever that retina thing is)?
Old 03-18-2024, 03:07 AM   #207
smandrap

Hmm well it didn't really work. I mean now the result is different but still out of place. Sorry for not getting back earlier, never unplugged the external monitor these 2 days.

Some tests:

Moving REAPER Window from 1080p screen to retina screen, back to 1080p again:

Gribox Size: 78W, 18H, 702X, 4Y

To retina screen

Gribox Size: 156W, 28H, 822X, 0Y

Back to 1080p

Gribox Size: 78W, 18H, 702X, 0Y

Basically, once the dimensions are set in non-retina, moving the window to retina scales and moves by a little too much. Moving back to 1080p scales again by a little too much and gridbox doesn't get drawn at the initial place. Notice that i'm not touching Gridbox, just moving the Reaper window around.

Ok now the other way around:

Moving REAPER Window from retina screen to 1080p screen, back to retina again:

Retina (notice i had to change the font and snap sizes to accomodate to the same space. HEIGHT CAN'T GO DOWN ANY FURTHER)

Gribox Size: 78W, 24H, 702X, 1Y

Move to 1080p:

Gridbox Size: 39W, 12H, 642X, 1Y

Back to retina (Almost GOOD JOB!! Watch out for that 1 pixel in Y coordinates)

Gridbox Size: 78W, 24H, 702X, 2Y

So it seems like:
  • Setting size in retina -> Move to 1080p -> BORKED
  • Setting size in retina -> Move to 1080p -> Move to retina -> ALMOST THERE
  • Setting size in 1080p -> Move to retina -> BORKED
  • Setting size in 1080p -> Move to retina -> Move to 1080pMORE BORKED

Now i don't know if all this information is useful, but fwiw... It was better when Gridbox didn't handle its own scaling on MacOS.

Let me know if i can help in some way
Old 03-18-2024, 03:37 AM   #208
FeedTheCat

Thank you for the detailed report smandrap!

I think it best to completely disable scaling on MacOS and let the OS do its thing. I've done so in v1.7.2. Let me know how that turned out when you find the time.

@MartinTL
I think this should fix your minimum height issue.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:33 AM   #209
MartinTL

Quote:
@MartinTL
I think this should fix your minimum height issue.
Unfortunately still minimum 24px height, both for manual adjustment and in the size prompt - but I am mostly using another theme were this isn't a problem, so not a big issue!
Old 03-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #210
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Unfortunately still minimum 24px height, both for manual adjustment and in the size prompt - but I am mostly using another theme were this isn't a problem, so not a big issue!
Did you restart Gridbox after updating to v1.7.2?
Old 03-18-2024, 12:11 PM   #211
MartinTL

Quote:
Did you restart Gridbox after updating to v1.7.2?
Ah, sorry - restart after synchronizing/updating did the trick!

After restart, GridBox was very small (around 5-6px high, font size was set to 5 ish), probably half ish of what it was before. But works perfectly now, thank you!
Old 03-18-2024, 12:28 PM   #212
FeedTheCat

Quote:
After restart, GridBox was very small (around 5-6px high, font size was set to 5 ish), probably half ish of what it was before. But works perfectly now, thank you!
Thanks for reporting, pushed a small fix so that others who download v1.7.2 don't run into that issue.

Quote:
But works perfectly now, thank you!
Noice
Old 03-18-2024, 07:10 PM   #213
Waves

Default Heya FTC

Hoping for some assistance. I entered a value .5 for Corner Size in the Gridbox popup menu...the script closed and I'm no longer able to run it. It throws this error:

I'm unsure how to fix what I broke (have tried deleting and re-installing this script, you're entire repo, copying and pasting over the code directly...still getting the same error) any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:10 AM   #214
smandrap

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed report smandrap!

I think it best to completely disable scaling on MacOS and let the OS do its thing. I've done so in v1.7.2. Let me know how that turned out when you find the time.
NO thank YOU for doing all this.

We're back at square one with this update, sizes do change, but at least gridbox isn't going on another planet.

I was thinking, why not let the user themselves save size configurations based on the scaling? This way it would at least recall properly and it's not an incredible burden on the user since... Cmon how many different scalings do you use???
Old 03-19-2024, 03:20 AM   #215
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves View Post
Hoping for some assistance. I entered a value .5 for Corner Size in the Gridbox popup menu...the script closed and I'm no longer able to run it.
Should be fixed now in v1.7.3. Thank you for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
NO thank YOU for doing all this.

We're back at square one with this update, sizes do change, but at least gridbox isn't going on another planet.

I was thinking, why not let the user themselves save size configurations based on the scaling? This way it would at least recall properly and it's not an incredible burden on the user since... Cmon how many different scalings do you use???
I might add a user scaling option for MacOS. But even for that I'd need to fully understand how retina scaling works, which I still don't...

Could you please run this script on both your configurations? Will hopefully help me understand what's going on...

Code:
local transport_title = reaper.JS_Localize('Transport', 'common')
transport_hwnd = reaper.JS_Window_Find(transport_title, true)

local _, new_dpi = reaper.ThemeLayout_GetLayout('trans', -3)
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(("dpi: %s\n"):format(new_dpi))

local _, w, h = reaper.JS_Window_GetClientSize(transport_hwnd)
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(("w: %s h: %s\n"):format(w, h))

local _, l, t, r, b = reaper.JS_Window_GetRect(transport_hwnd)
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(("Transport:\nl: %s t :%s r :%s b: %s\n"):format(l, t, r, b))

local s_l, s_t, s_r, s_b = reaper.my_getViewport(0, 0, 0, 0, l, t, l, t, 1)
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(("Screen:\nl: %s t: %s r: %s b: %s\n"):format(s_l, s_t, s_r, s_b))
Old 03-19-2024, 03:37 AM   #216
smandrap

Quote:
Could you please run this script on both your configurations?
1080p:
Quote:
dpi: 256
w: 1920 h: 28
Transport:
l: 0 t :1011 r :1920 b: 983
Screen:
l: 0 t: 0 r: 1920 b: 1055
Retina
Quote:
dpi: 512
w: 1280 h: 28
Transport:
l: -1280 t :731 r :0 b: 703
Screen:
l: -1280 t: 0 r: 0 b: 775
Old 03-19-2024, 04:50 AM   #217
FeedTheCat

Damn, I don't understand... As suspected, the reported height of the transport doesn't change, it's 28px on both your retina and 1080p screen. Gridbox shouldn't change its height as we are ignoring dpi changes on MacOS... There must be something I'm missing...

In this first picture you had posted, I noticed that the height seems off, but the position seems correct:

Could you please reduce gridbox to minimum height like this (centered in the transport) and send me a screenshot of how it looks on both retina/1080p?

Would also be helpful if you could report the values of "Customize > Size" for both configurations.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:10 AM   #218
smandrap

Quote:
Damn, I don't understand... As suspected, the reported height of the transport doesn't change, it's 28px on both your retina and 1080p screen. Gridbox shouldn't change its height as we are ignoring dpi changes on MacOS... There must be something I'm missing...

In this first picture you had posted, I noticed that the height seems off, but the position seems correct:

Could you please reduce gridbox to minimum height like this (centered in the transport) and send me a screenshot of how it looks on both retina/1080p?

Would also be helpful if you could report the values of "Customize > Size" for both configurations.
Will do this evening
Old 03-19-2024, 05:13 AM   #219
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Will do this evening
No rush, whenever you want and have time for it, thanks!
Old 03-20-2024, 02:33 AM   #220
smandrap

Here we go.

Set min height from 1080p

1080p: W=76, H=12, X=703, Y=3

Retina: W=76, H=12, X=703, Y=3 (GOT IT RIGHT)

It seems problem solved at the moment...
Old 03-20-2024, 05:36 AM   #221
FeedTheCat

Quote:
It seems problem solved at the moment...
Awesome!

Unfortunately scaling on MacOS won't be as crisp as on other platforms, we'd probably have to add new features to JS_ReaScriptAPI to make that happen (if possible at all). But hey, at least it is functional
Old 04-08-2024, 08:35 AM   #222
frioventus

Hi, I really love this! Its working really good.
But sometimes when I glued the two midi items, I get this error and then script stops working.

...ols\Adaptive grid\Adaptive grid (background service).lua:199: bad argument #1 to 'GetItemStateChunk' (MediaItem expected)
frioventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:21 AM   #223
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frioventus View Post
Hi, I really love this! Its working really good.
But sometimes when I glued the two midi items, I get this error and then script stops working.
What version of REAPER are you on?
Old 04-08-2024, 11:49 AM   #224
frioventus

Quote:
What version of REAPER are you on?
Version 7.14

Edit:
I created two copies of the MIDI item and double-clicked on one to edit it. Every time I give the Glue command to merge these two MIDI items after opening the MIDI Editor, I encounter this error. So, I guess having the MIDI editor open might also be triggering it.

Last edited by frioventus; 04-08-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:06 PM   #225
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frioventus View Post
Version 7.14

Edit:
I created two copies of the MIDI item and double-clicked on one to edit it. Every time I give the Glue command to merge these two MIDI items after opening the MIDI Editor, I encounter this error. So, I guess having the MIDI editor open might also be triggering it.
Thx, should be fixed in Adaptive grid 2.0.3. (Make sure to restart REAPER after updating)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:24 PM   #226
frioventus

Quote:
Thx, should be fixed in Adaptive grid 2.0.3. (Make sure to restart REAPER after updating)
Yep, fixed!!! You are amazing!
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #227
fourdogslong

Quote:
A little grid companion for your transport bar.

Features:
  • Displays the current project grid division (and swing amount)
  • Gives quick access to a variety of grid settings and features.
  • Fully customizable appearance per REAPER theme
  • Barely uses any CPU

Controls:
  • Scroll to adjust grid division
  • Alt+Scroll to adjust swing amount (+Ctrl for finetune)
  • Alt+Click to toggle grid swing

• Left click to open (adaptive) grid menu
  • Right click to open Gridbox menu

You can move Gridbox around, resize it, adjust colors, fonts & more.
Everything is saved/recalled when you switch themes.

Future plan 1: Chordbox (a big brother for Lil Chordbox)

Gridbox has 1700 lines of code, but very little is grid-related (it uses Adaptive Grid for the menu etc.). Once the whole draggable box concept is stable I'll move on to making Chordbox using the same foundation.

Future plan 2: Unleash the box! Gridbox could potentially also work on toolbars and other windows. But I'll have to do a lot of testing first...

Creating and maintaining these scripts takes time. If you want to support my efforts, buy me a spaceship

All my scripts are available for free on GitHub or ReaPack:
Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Looks cool, thanks, and what theme is that in the screenshots?
fourdogslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #228
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdogslong View Post
Looks cool, thanks, and what theme is that in the screenshots?
Default 7, Reapertips and Imperial LCS MOD Dark

Also taking this script out of beta, should be stable enough by now