Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
IPYF_
Human being with feelings

Default About to have an adult tantrum about mac midi mapping

This is going to sound so petulant but I'm about ready to give up on Reaper for Mac and just buy a cheap PC laptop so I can use Reaper in a way that makes basic sense to me.

I'm going to break this down as simply as I can because I can't believe there isn't an obvious and idiotproof way to fix my problem in a way that a small child could understand.

I have a novation launchkey mk2. It's a simple controller with little drum pads. I would like to use reaper and my macbook for live keyboard performances. I would therefore like to assign different note values to my drum pads to the ones that are automatically assigned. This is to help whoever is using the controller simply perform the parts for the track, without having to play the small keyboard.

In the first instance, I couldn't understand why this isn't just a feature of the DAW. And, I couldn't find a simple solution on PC either until I found CodeFN42's Notemapper VST. While it was still a whopping amount of manual faff to apply a bespoke map on each song's infofx, it worked. But, this VST doesn't exist on Mac...and I can't find one that will.

JS Map to Key v2 seems to ask me to write a text file for each track in my 30 song set. But I just tried that and it didn't work anyway. Realearn can assign pads to Actions...but won't assign pads to keyboard notes. Why the absolute eff is this apparently such an unreasonable thing to want?

I apologise for the most pissy message I've ever written...but I just cannot fathom why something so obviously necessary as remapping your notes to different values, is such an enormous pain in the damn neck.
IPYF_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:40 AM   #2
Judders

I believe you need to use the Novation software to change mapping. That's how my Launch Control works. Maybe check your Novation user area for downloads.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #3
IPYF_

The V2 has no software.
IPYF_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
DarkStar

It is not an unreasonable thing to ask. But any MIDI Note Remapper would take a bit of work to set up, as you have found with CodeFN42's MIDI Mapper.

The best thing to do is ask if anyone could put together a JS FX that handles all 128 MIDI notes (or, say, those notes from 16 or 32 drum pads).
Old 07-12-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Not to fan your fire, but that's not exactly a bread and butter thing to do in a DAW.

But I have a couple Novation controllers and the note values can all be reconfigured in the Components software: https://novationmusic.com/en/components and saved as presets. Would that not accomplish your goal more directly?

If you're not using the notes for notes, you could change them to CC.