Old 10-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Belinir
Human being with feelings

Default Using Reaper for Live-Streaming

Hey,

I'm trying to use Reaper for streaming using the ASIO driver of my interface.
All I'm trying to achieve is that Audio from my XLR mic is treated by FX in Reaper and then routed to an audio device that I can use in Streamlabs OBS for instance.

My interface is a Steinberg UR22MKII. Input 1(L) is a mic, Input 2(R) is a guitar.
Using headphone monitoring and setting the mix knob to DAW I obviously hear the master audio which is routed to the L/R outputs in the device tab inside Reapers settings.

I assume that those L/R outputs are supposed to be the Line outputs on the back of the interface, as well as the virtual Line Recording device I can find in my Sound settings inside Windows.

Every time I want to use the Line recording device I only ever get the clean signal straight from the Input of my interface, bypassing Reaper completely.

So the actual question is probably: Can I make my interface output Reapers audio to my Windows, or do I have to resort to Asio4All and Virtual Audio Cables to create a new recording device?
Belinir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Belinir

I think I should mention that I tried simply connecting the line out of my interface to my PC. I had incredible problems with that, only getting static and noise basically unaffected by what I did to the microphone.

I have been messing with it in the meantime after writing my post and I don't know what I did, but under all the noise I get my Mic signal now and it's the Reaper audio I want. I assume using a higher quality cable and adding a humbox like the Behringer HD400 should fix it.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
serr

You need to connect the streaming app to Reaper.

This is done using an app that acts like a virtual audio interface and lets you route audio between apps.

Soundflower, Virtual Audio Cable, and Jack are examples of virtual audio interface apps.

Then you need to combine the hardware audio interface you use + the virtual audio interface into one virtual device called an aggregate device. This is done with your OS audio utility app.

You select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one of the individule interfaces. This gives you access to all the I/O from all devices in the aggregate.

Set the system output to the virtual device. (Or if the streaming app lets you select an output device, select the virtual device there.)

Assign the input channels from that virtual device to a track in Reaper.
Assign your mixer output to your hardware device as usual.
This is the first choice SOP.

Workarounds for when the virtual audio device or your OS is incompatible:

Some audio interfaces have return channels. This lets you connect to that single interface. Also select it as system audio out. Assign the main output to the return channels. (This gives you the streaming app audio on those channels.) Now assign a different pair of outputs (not the main) for an output from Reaper.

Reaper has a legacy feature to use a separate audio interface for output from the main selected interface. Select <default system device> for the interface to get at the streaming audio. Set the output to your hardware interface using the legacy feature. This is the least recommended option.

Some streaming apps are starting to incorporate virtual audio device functionality in their apps. You might be able to work around the OS this way if your OS (cough Windows cough sniff) doesn't play nice.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Belinir

Thanks, Serr, that's already really helpful.

I never thought to route the whole audio of my PC through Virtual Audio Cable into Reaper. Guess I'm horrible at routing!

So, I told my Windows to use the Virtual Audio Cable Input as playback device and now one of the 8 Input channels from VAC should give me the signal of all my Windows applications, right? I don't seem to get anything on any channel as of yet.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinir View Post
Thanks, Serr, that's already really helpful.

I never thought to route the whole audio of my PC through Virtual Audio Cable into Reaper. Guess I'm horrible at routing!

So, I told my Windows to use the Virtual Audio Cable Input as playback device and now one of the 8 Input channels from VAC should give me the signal of all my Windows applications, right? I don't seem to get anything on any channel as of yet.
Well, this isn't exactly intuitive!
But the modular thing and aggregate device creation with your OS utility are one of those things they expect you to just know is there now.

I don't use the VAC app... I use Soundflower in OSX. So I can't give exact instruction. That's the right idea though. You play the system audio into the VAC "interface" instead of your hardware interface.

There still could be sample rate settings to mind. I'll throw that out there. The virtual audio interface needs to be treated just like a hardware AI with respect to selecting one device for clock master. Not getting sample rate clock or the sample rate being set differently on the virtual device would silence everything just like with hardware.

Try setting the VAC as sample rate clock master and clicking 'resample' (or whatever your OS utility calls it) on the hardware interface when you make the aggregate device. (If you are trying this method.) That's a little counter-intuitive. You'd maybe guess to make the hardware master. The hardware chasing the software in this case can be more stable. Try it both ways.

Any of that help?

And again, there's still the return channel method if your hardware interface has that or the legacy option in Reaper. Take a look at the streaming app too - there may be a feature set there that helps.

Last edited by serr; 10-24-2019 at 08:10 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Belinir

I got the humbox today and managed to find a way to route it perfectly, no VAC or Asio4All required.

The routing chain looks like this: Mic -> Interface XLR In 1(L) -> Reaper(DAW) -> Interface Line Out 1L/2R -> Humbox In 1/2 -> Humbox Out 1/2 -> Mic In PC

I used a Y cable between the outputs of the humbox to combine it to one 3.5mm audio jack.

I tried the Line In first and got a very weak signal. I thought the preamps should have amplified it enough, but there seems to be an issue, so I took the Mic In instead.

Using the Mic In, the signal got boosted, probably because most mics you would connect to this input have very weak signals. I fixed this by going to the device settings enhancements tab and checking "Disable all sound effects" which disabled the extra gain.

Now I got a perfect signal from both input channels and FX is added on by my DAW. I also retain the ability of monitoring through the Realtek Driver using the Playback slider.

Finally I don't have to switch between Drivers anymore to either make music or talk to somebody. Only downside is, that I limit myself to the outputs of my interface and lose the possibility of routing all audio through a mixer. But as of yet I don't have any need for that.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
BrentHarmon

Is there a video that shows how to set this up?
BrentHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
james0tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHarmon View Post
Is there a video that shows how to set this up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGMxJSjW7Bg
james0tucson is offline   Reply With Quote