Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #521
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

what the heck ...
Old 03-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #522
Bri1
Banned

lolz...welllll....

= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille_music ?

+

!Visualize the zigzagzee in this configuration^

kinda=

while considering the:
Curse of dimensionality!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_dimensionality

Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #523
Eliseat

I often call Sai'ke crazy because of his coding pace and overwhelming ideas.

But for you, Bri1, this word fits even more. Reading your posts creates this strange feeling in my belly that you live in a very special world. I can't follow your words or your thoughts. Yeah, "strange" describes it pretty well.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 AM   #524
Bri1
Banned

<sommin like>

^filtherz^
Old 03-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #525
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
creates this strange feeling in my belly that you live in a very special world.

^lolz=correct...just remember we are all special-infinite soul having a human 'experience'.
not seperated,but of the whole,the all.the love.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #526
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Okay, I'm pretty tired but I found out what happened. Those presets lose their ENV1 envelope after a few milliseconds. You can see it in the video when the ENV1 or ENV2 buttons just flash for a short moment. I guess I leave these presets untouched until you find time to take a look at it, Sai'ke. If you think its alright, everything can easily get fixed by enabling the ENV1 or ENV2 again and make some adjustments.

Greetings from tired Eli (~˘▾˘)~
Presets that were made between the introduction of envelopes and the introduction of turning envelopes off when they are from a date before envelopes were a thing have to be resaved. Just a resave in-place should do the trick.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #527
mawi

Can you logarithmically increase the resolution of the Cutoff slider? The cutoff slider range for the bass is very small with some filters.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #528
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
Can you logarithmically increase the resolution of the Cutoff slider? The cutoff slider range for the bass is very small with some filters.
This has been a pet peeve for myself too. The problem is that it would induce breakage in older presets.

It is slated for some release in the future; with a legacy button that will force the old slider behaviour.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #529
mawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
This has been a pet peeve for myself too. The problem is that it would induce breakage in older presets.

It is slated for some release in the future; with a legacy button that will force the old slider behaviour.
I'm glad you can consider something like that for the future. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #530
Eliseat

Hello Sai'ke,

hope you got some rest. Here is something that happened after 2.47 I guess.

https://mega.nz/#!rmwl0A6R!7FJ9ztxJi...vV0KqzKf9815gg

Beside that saving the ENV1 and ENV2 presets in place does not work. I just turned the buttons on as supposed and everything is fine again after saving.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:15 AM   #531
sai'ke

Quote:
Beside that saving the ENV1 and ENV2 presets in place does not work. I just turned the buttons on as supposed and everything is fine again after saving.
Yeah, I meant turning them on and then saving in place.

Did that work? Do they recall when you reload them.

And haha, 'relaxing'. I was out of town on job interviews. Fun, but anything but relaxing

Heh! What the ... do you know where that line is coming from? Do you suspect it's from the filter display? Is it still there if you switch to spartan graphics mode?

I have a suspicion what it could be though... it might be the frequency indicator.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-27-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Checked the video
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #532
Eliseat

Quote:
Yeah, I meant turning them on and then saving in place.

Did that work? Do they recall when you reload them.

And haha, 'relaxing'. I was out of town on job interviews. Fun, but anything but relaxing

Heh! What the ... do you know where that line is coming from? Do you suspect it's from the filter display? Is it still there if you switch to spartan graphics mode?

I have a suspicion what it could be though... it might be the frequency indicator.
Yes of course do they recall. It was a misunderstanding because I thought you meant just saving them without anything. Everything is fine now.

The line shows up on several specific presets. If you need an example preset I could upload it. But don't hurry, this also doesn't hurt.

I have another preset where the Vodoo filter creates a deep bass or sine tone out of nothing. Have no idea why and if it already was so when I created it.

So, and you will tell me a guy like you has to search for a new job? Isn't your online portfolio enough to get every job you want?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #533
sai'ke

Quote:
The line shows up on several specific presets. If you need an example preset I could upload it. But don't hurry, this also doesn't hurt.
Do you remember which filter it is associated with? If it was the sine one, it should be fixed in 2.50.

Quote:
I have another preset where the Vodoo filter creates a deep bass or sine tone out of nothing. Have no idea why and if it already was so when I created it.
Hmm, high resonance? Could go back a few versions with reapack to see if it is really something that cropped up later, or was always there.

Quote:
So, and you will tell me a guy like you has to search for a new job? Isn't your online portfolio enough to get every job you want?
Dunno. Haven't shopped around _that_ much really. This company seemed interesting and the team quite nice. Hopefully it'll be a good fit! We will find out!

Quote:
I'm glad you can consider something like that for the future. Thank you!
It should be available in 2.50 (it's the new default, but for legacy presets, disable the little L to switch to logarithmic sliders).

===

So, 2.50 is a big update. As per request, I revisited the slider scaling and made the sliders (hopefully) a lot more nice to work with. If you set the slider mode to "modern" (disable the little L), the sliders become logarithmic. Also note that this is the new default now (when resetting the plug). I did test whether I modified both pitch and key tracking correctly, and they seem to work for me, but please let me know if there are issues with this release.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-27-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #534
mawi

Quote:
Do you remember which filter it is associated with? If it was the sine one, it should be fixed in 2.50.

Hmm, high resonance? Could go back a few versions with reapack to see if it is really something that cropped up later, or was always there.

Dunno. Haven't shopped around _that_ much really. This company seemed interesting and the team quite nice. Hopefully it'll be a good fit! We will find out!

It should be available in 2.50 (it's the new default, but for legacy presets, disable the little L to switch to logarithmic sliders).

===

So, 2.50 is a big update. As per request, I revisited the slider scaling and made the sliders (hopefully) a lot more nice to work with. If you set the slider mode to "modern" (disable the little L), the sliders become logarithmic. Also note that this is the new default now (when resetting the plug). I did test whether I modified both pitch and key tracking correctly, and they seem to work for me, but please let me know if there are issues with this release.
Wow, that was quick. Very cool, thanks!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:57 AM   #535
sai'ke

Quote:
Wow, that was quick. Very cool, thanks!
I had a long train ride home

Oh yeah, forgot to add to the changelog, @FoxAsteria, I also added right drag on dynamics window = threshold manipulation in the last version.

The extra (coupled) colors are up next time I have some time to work on it.

Anything else I promised but am forgetting?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #536
Sju

Thanks for the updates! Will test once I've got some free time again to play with it.

A couple of FRs that came to mind:

1. Function to copy filter settings A<>B. Sometimes you get a cool sound going, but then want to insert for example a wavefolder before it, or a second filter after it, but you started with the wrong filter order and now you'd need to try and replicate the settings on the other filter. Possibly with a way to avoid accidentally activating it

2. MIDI CC control of the Dyn parameter. I had this patch programmed for a slow decaying sound that had Dynamics affecting all sorts of stuff like cutoffs, reso, LFO speed and range, etc. Kind of acting as a macro parameter. Then I wanted to apply that to a long sustaining sound as a slow random walk type of modulation, but couldn't find a good way to do that.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #537
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Thanks for the updates! Will test once I've got some free time again to play with it.
np

Quote:
1. Function to copy filter settings A<>B. Sometimes you get a cool sound going, but then want to insert for example a wavefolder before it, or a second filter after it, but you started with the wrong filter order and now you'd need to try and replicate the settings on the other filter. Possibly with a way to avoid accidentally activating it
Shift + S swaps them

Quote:
2. MIDI CC control of the Dyn parameter. I had this patch programmed for a slow decaying sound that had Dynamics affecting all sorts of stuff like cutoffs, reso, LFO speed and range, etc. Kind of acting as a macro parameter. Then I wanted to apply that to a long sustaining sound as a slow random walk type of modulation, but couldn't find a good way to do that.
Hmm, so you mean just as a separate input mode? Like a listen to CC for dynamics mode? Or just CC's that reset the dynamics? What CC's do you think make sense?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #538
Eliseat

2.50 runs very smoothly here while the 2.48 was kind of weird. Also significant lower CPU now here. (1%, sometimes more) Like it very much! (But also could be my witched laptop )

Many thanks Sai'ke

And "ich drücke dir die Daumen" for the new job!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #539
Sju

Quote:
Shift + S swaps them
Ok, good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Hmm, so you mean just as a separate input mode? Like a listen to CC for dynamics mode? Or just CC's that reset the dynamics? What CC's do you think make sense?
Yeah, an input mode where you can control the Dyn parameter with a CC. Well, I think Mod Wheel would be a good candidate for this at least.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #540
sai'ke

Quote:
Ok, good to know, thanks!
F1 for a list of the shortcuts, if you're ever lost

Quote:
Yeah, an input mode where you can control the Dyn parameter with a CC. Well, I think Mod Wheel would be a good candidate for this at least.
I will dink around with it a little bit. I'll post here when I have something testable. I mean, one tricky thing I foresee is that it would likely need some sort of (optional) smoothing, since those CC commands generally have pretty low resolution. I can do something similar as what I did with inertia I suppose.

Also, unrelated, I'm a bit forgetful with all the projects I'm running lately, but in case I didn't mention, you can also change envelope curve types now with doubleclick
Old 03-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #541
todd_r

I think this is now my favourite software phaser
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #542
Sju

Thanks for looking into it! Yeah it would definitely need smoothing. Synthmaster for example offers an user-selectable MIDI CC filter lag from 10ms to 100ms in 10ms increments. Maybe the DYNAMICS module could house those parameters for that mode. Maybe a slider to select the CC that would be used? Hmm.. I'll try to think what else would be useful there.

Just updated to 2.50 and noticed that the new AGC seems to work really well to reduce the distortion. Here's an example with a bassline, first with 2.47 AGC and then with 2.50:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16a9...ew?usp=sharing

By the way, there's a small clicking sound audible in the second part which is probably caused by a discontinuity in the Dyn modulation when it's reset by the next note. Is the Inertia parameter meant to help with that? It doesn't seem to be doing anything when I toggle it on. Turning on the Legato mode in Dynamics eliminated the click, but it also makes it impossible to get that sort of fast decay for the filter.

PS. Bug: right-drag adjusting Thresh doesn't update the slider in the Dynamics section.

Last edited by Sju; 03-28-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #543
Bri1
Banned

ooooooo errrrrr
filther
Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #544
foxAsteria

Thank you sai'ke! Awesome work. Much easier setting thresh with RMB.

Little niggle about the envelopes...awesome we can set the curve now! After setting a different curve, adding a point only preserves the new curve to the right and to the left reverts to default linear.

Perhaps setting a new curve shape could determine the default when adding points thereafter? Or maybe alt+drag could cycle the curve types same as it's done in Reaper?
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #545
TonE

sai'ke roks.

Last edited by TonE; 03-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #546
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
I think this is now my favourite software phaser
When used how?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #547
sai'ke

Quote:
Thanks for looking into it! Yeah it would definitely need smoothing. Synthmaster for example offers an user-selectable MIDI CC filter lag from 10ms to 100ms in 10ms increments. Maybe the DYNAMICS module could house those parameters for that mode. Maybe a slider to select the CC that would be used? Hmm.. I'll try to think what else would be useful there.
Yeah. Repurposing them as smoothing parameters for that mode would be possible I think. Mod wheel CC should be available in 2.52. Let me know if there are any issues.

Quote:
Just updated to 2.50 and noticed that the new AGC seems to work really well to reduce the distortion. Here's an example with a bassline, first with 2.47 AGC and then with 2.50:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16a9...ew?usp=sharing
Awesome. I would still recommend turning it off once you've settled in on a sound though. I mean, it does affect dynamics a little bit.

Quote:
By the way, there's a small clicking sound audible in the second part which is probably caused by a discontinuity in the Dyn modulation when it's reset by the next note. Is the Inertia parameter meant to help with that? It doesn't seem to be doing anything when I toggle it on. Turning on the Legato mode in Dynamics eliminated the click, but it also makes it impossible to get that sort of fast decay for the filter.
Inertia only affects cutoff modulation by hand. But you're right, it's too jumpy there. I already filter all incoming dynamic variable data, but it seems that the Diode Ladder is particularly sensitive to steep transitions of its coefficients. I have decreased the lowpass frequency for this filter making the transition less steep. I also did this for waveshaped LP and Notch, which seemed to have similar behaviour. Please let me know if you find examples of this behaviour for others. Alternatively, I could expose a smoothing slider for the dynamic variable, but I'm afraid that yet another control will overcomplicate things. This thing is already kind of a nightmare for someone who sees it for the first time

Quote:
PS. Bug: right-drag adjusting Thresh doesn't update the slider in the Dynamics section.
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Thank you sai'ke! Awesome work. Much easier setting thresh with RMB.
Little niggle about the envelopes...awesome we can set the curve now! After setting a different curve, adding a point only preserves the new curve to the right and to the left reverts to default linear.
It does the same in reaper, except the one before maintains the envelope and the one after is linear. I mean, I'll make it transport the curve parameter to the left one so that it's at least analogous to REAPER.

Quote:
Perhaps setting a new curve shape could determine the default when adding points thereafter? Or maybe alt+drag could cycle the curve types same as it's done in Reaper?
Alt + Drag seems to modify tension in REAPER. My curves don't have a tension parameter. Added an alt+drag tho.

I also exposed color groups now, so you can tweak along!

Changelog (v2.52):
+ Update thresh in dynamics panel when dragged in window.
+ Forced more dynamic variable smoothing for some filters to suppress clicks.
+ Some bugfixes envelopes.
+ Alt+drag for envelopes.
+ Added modwheel as an input source.
+ Hide filter buttons when in spartan graphics mode.
+ Move envelopes up when in spartan gfx mode (more compact).
+ Exposed different colors for different elements.

If I'm very honest, I'm not sure how I feel about all the different colors. Personally, I find them kind of distracting, and even a little ugly. But it may just be that I'm not used to them. What do you guys think?
Old 03-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #548
foxAsteria

Quote:
It does the same in reaper, except the one before maintains the envelope and the one after is linear. I mean, I'll make it transport the curve parameter to the left one so that it's at least analogous to REAPER.
Cool cool. Well I never noticed that cos you can also set the default shape, which is what I generally do. Thank you! I'll work on the colors. No worries if you don't want to use them,
Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #549
sai'ke

Alright, time for 2.53 (this one should interest you Eliseat ):

Here envelope 1 one modulates both cutoff and resonance, envelope2 only modulates cutoff, dyn only modulates cutoff and lfo only modulates resonance

Changelog:
- Added separate modulation of cutoff and resonance for filter 1 and filter 2. Enabling/Disabling a modulator is still done with LMB, but RMB on the EN1, EN2, DYN and LFO toggles what is affected. Left means cutoff only, right means resonance only, fully filled means both.
- Added highlight hinting where to look when hovering over toggles.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-30-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added image
Old 03-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #550
todd_r

I cant actually get the LFO to work (been using parameter modulation) , its working on the presets so I must be missing something, any ideas?
Old 03-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #551
todd_r

Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #552
Sju

Quote:
Yeah. Repurposing them as smoothing parameters for that mode would be possible I think. Mod wheel CC should be available in 2.52. Let me know if there are any issues.
Wohoo, thank you!

One thing I noticed is that if I modulate for example cutoff with both Dyn and LFO, then set LFO Modulation Range to zero, but use Dyn to turn that up: LFO modulation of the cutoff will be disabled upon playback until you touch the Modwheel again. Additionally, it disables the cutoff LFO modulation also if you adjust the range of Modulation Range modulation, until Modwheel is moved again. GIF

Quote:
Inertia only affects cutoff modulation by hand. But you're right, it's too jumpy there. I already filter all incoming dynamic variable data, but it seems that the Diode Ladder is particularly sensitive to steep transitions of its coefficients. I have decreased the lowpass frequency for this filter making the transition less steep. I also did this for waveshaped LP and Notch, which seemed to have similar behaviour. Please let me know if you find examples of this behaviour for others.
The clicking sounds seems to be gone in the bass track using the Diode Ladder, awesome I'll have to try out the other filters too, I'll let you know if I run into the issue again.

EDIT: ^^ todd_r you need to increase the modulation range by RMB dragging the cutoff slider
Old 03-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #553
todd_r

Quote:
EDIT: ^^ todd_r you need to increase the modulation range by RMB dragging the cutoff slider
Aaaaaaaah. Ooh I can do loads of stuff now Thanks Sju

Watched the youtube tutorial now

Last edited by todd_r; 03-30-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #554
Bri1
Banned

ooocooooooooo

filtherrehtlifiltherrehtlifiltherrehtlifilther
Old 03-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #555
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
When used how?
One filter Phaser FET and one OTA, both set to different LFOs, expirment with routing/stereo/mid side settings
Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #556
Bri1
Banned

hey sai'ke-smart moves going on still.
has anybody made a lbx stripper for filther yet? jus wonderin..
if people are into customizing filther further..well,there seems an opportunity doing so eh..?
thanx.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #557
sai'ke

Quote:
Wohoo, thank you!

One thing I noticed is that if I modulate for example cutoff with both Dyn and LFO, then set LFO Modulation Range to zero, but use Dyn to turn that up: LFO modulation of the cutoff will be disabled upon playback until you touch the Modwheel again. Additionally, it disables the cutoff LFO modulation also if you adjust the range of Modulation Range modulation, until Modwheel is moved again. GIF
Thanks for the bug report. Should be fixed in 2.58.

And good to hear about the diode ladder
Old 03-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #558
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the bug report.
sai'ke,are you accepting possible bug finds?

is that negative feedback iyo?
don't wanna appear to be complaining or anything..but...
Old 03-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #559
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
sai'ke,are you accepting possible bug finds?

is that negative feedback iyo?
don't wanna appear to be complaining or anything..but...
Of course. As long as it's reproducible.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #560
Eliseat

Quote:
Alright, time for 2.53 (this one should interest you Eliseat ):

Changelog:
O man! Sai'ke, you are incredible! And I'm still suspecting that you are not from earth. I just downloaded the last version and got a crazy list of all the last updates. Holy cow! When you started this project you wrote something like: "Get it and use it but don't expect any updates or further development!" And now Filther is such a deep tool ... every preset I made in the beginning just looks plain stupid.

I mean, theoretically we now can use any modulation source and use it in all combinations with the given parameters. Theoretically we also have three LFOs or four envelopes, lots of filters, phasers, ringers, waveshapers ... this is just overwhelming! And who thought some months ago that Filther would turn into such a monster? (Except Bri1 who already wrote in his first comments about how big this thing will get. )

Many, many thanks, Sai'ke. I will make further tests in the next week because I'm a bit distracted at the moment. But my quick test a few minutes ago already was amazing. I used a short envelope for cutoff and a long rising one for resonance. And of course I used the Diode Ladder which made a very colorful and fat sound out of it.

So cool! So happy about all these new possibilities!