Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
dobro
Human being with feelings

Default absynth in reaper

I'm having a small problem with Absynth - I can't load any of the patches that I've made. I can do it in standalone okay - I just click File>Open Sound, but when I try that in the plugin, none of the files I've created are displayed. The plugin loads Absynth presets okay, but not the stuff I've put together myself. Anybody recognize this one?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
dobro

Oh yeah...and here's another problem I haven't figured out yet. If I work the pitch bend wheel while I'm playing Absynth, Reaper doesn't record anything like what I'm hearing while I'm playing. I'm using an AxiomPro49 on this track. Is the problem something in the way I've got the keyboard configured in Reaper?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Kamil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro View Post
I'm having a small problem with Absynth - I can't load any of the patches that I've made. I can do it in standalone okay - I just click File>Open Sound, but when I try that in the plugin, none of the files I've created are displayed. The plugin loads Absynth presets okay, but not the stuff I've put together myself. Anybody recognize this one?
I have just confirmed that my custom presets for Absynth 5 work in reaper. Just click on "Sounds" on the top left of the window, and it will display the file browser along the left side. Browse to where you saved your patches and boom, make music.
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Oh yeah...and here's another problem I haven't figured out yet. If I work the pitch bend wheel while I'm playing Absynth, Reaper doesn't record anything like what I'm hearing while I'm playing. I'm using an AxiomPro49 on this track. Is the problem something in the way I've got the keyboard configured in Reaper?
All seems fine here with the Axiom49. I don't think this is it but you could try program 17 on the Axiom since most all the others have control assignments for other apps. Again that's for controller assignments, don't think that's it but worth a try.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
dobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
All seems fine here with the Axiom49. I don't think this is it but you could try program 17 on the Axiom since most all the others have control assignments for other apps. Again that's for controller assignments, don't think that's it but worth a try.
Channel 17? You mean the 'All Channels' setting? That's what I always use.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Channel 17? You mean the 'All Channels' setting? That's what I always use.
Preset 17 or possibly Preset 1 but its only for cc controller assignments IIRC so I still don't think it matters if it only happens in Absynth. The Axiom is highly configurable but if you haven't changed anything the pitch wheel should work just grand so I'm suspecting something else. You might throw JS midi logger in to see what is being sent:

1 General MIDI
2 GForce Oddity
3 GForce ImpOSCar
4 GForce Minimonsta:Melohman format
5 Way Out Ware TimewARP 2600
6 Wizoo Darbuka/Latigo
7 Propellerhead Reason Mixer
8 Propellerhead Reason Subtractor
9 Propellerhead Reason Malström
10 Propellerhead Reason Dr.Rex
11 Propellerhead Reason NN-19
12 Propellerhead Reason Effects
13 Native Instruments B4
14 Inc/dec GM set up with 2’s comp data
15 GM sequencer mixer set up
16 GS/XG NRPN set up
17 Unassigned MIDI controllers
18 Linplug/Doepfer inc/dec method
19 2’s complement inc/dec method
20 Unassigned
Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
dobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
I have just confirmed that my custom presets for Absynth 5 work in reaper. Just click on "Sounds" on the top left of the window, and it will display the file browser along the left side. Browse to where you saved your patches and boom, make music.
Yeah, I tried that, of course, but it doesn't work for me. I think I installed Komplete wrong. It was a couple of years ago, and I knew nothing about samplers and synths. Anyway, I forget how it happened now, but the whole Native Instruments library got installed to the Documents folder. When I browse to where my patches are stored, it won't open. I get to the last folder in the path Documents>Native Instruments>Shared Content>Sounds>Absynth 5, but when I try to display the contents of 'Absynth 5', it won't open. However, just as an experiment, I tried putting my patches in a folder on the C: drive and I can access them that way. So that's the workaround for that, I guess. Or, I suppose I could always reinstal Komplete. Doesn't appeal much, though.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, I tried that, of course, but it doesn't work for me. I think I installed Komplete wrong. It was a couple of years ago, and I knew nothing about samplers and synths. Anyway, I forget how it happened now, but the whole Native Instruments library got installed to the Documents folder. When I browse to where my patches are stored, it won't open. I get to the last folder in the path Documents>Native Instruments>Shared Content>Sounds>Absynth 5, but when I try to display the contents of 'Absynth 5', it won't open. However, just as an experiment, I tried putting my patches in a folder on the C: drive and I can access them that way. So that's the workaround for that, I guess. Or, I suppose I could always reinstal Komplete. Doesn't appeal much, though.
You can move those patches wherever you want FYI. If in documents you should be fine but if in program files it would have gotten redirected to AppData and/or standalone looks in one location and VST in another. Just guessing here with limited info.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Kamil

Quote:
Yeah, I don't keep any of my patches anywhere near NI's standard library files. All my stuff is neatly organized and backed-up in another location. I would recommend doing something similar if it works!

ps, I don't think you installed Komplete wrong - Just don't say your own patches in the standard library locations.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
dobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
Yeah, I don't keep any of my patches anywhere near NI's standard library files. All my stuff is neatly organized and backed-up in another location. I would recommend doing something similar if it works!

ps, I don't think you installed Komplete wrong - Just don't say your own patches in the standard library locations.
That's what I'll do, then. Thanks.

This would be a whole lot easier if I could just load what I want from the Program List in Absynth. That won't work, either, though.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
dobro

Quote:
Preset 17 or possibly Preset 1 but its only for cc controller assignments IIRC so I still don't think it matters if it only happens in Absynth. The Axiom is highly configurable but if you haven't changed anything the pitch wheel should work just grand so I'm suspecting something else. You might throw JS midi logger in to see what is being sent:

1 General MIDI
2 GForce Oddity
3 GForce ImpOSCar
4 GForce Minimonsta:Melohman format
5 Way Out Ware TimewARP 2600
6 Wizoo Darbuka/Latigo
7 Propellerhead Reason Mixer
8 Propellerhead Reason Subtractor
9 Propellerhead Reason Malström
10 Propellerhead Reason Dr.Rex
11 Propellerhead Reason NN-19
12 Propellerhead Reason Effects
13 Native Instruments B4
14 Inc/dec GM set up with 2’s comp data
15 GM sequencer mixer set up
16 GS/XG NRPN set up
17 Unassigned MIDI controllers
18 Linplug/Doepfer inc/dec method
19 2’s complement inc/dec method
20 Unassigned
Okay, that list you've posted is completely new to me. What is it? Where can I learn about it?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Okay, that list you've posted is completely new to me. What is it? Where can I learn about it?
It's from the manual. On the Axiom press Recall then press 17 on the button pads. However, I don't think this is it. As luck would have it though, I just went back through the entire Axiom manual yesterday, that puppy has a boat load of settings but again, I can't find a reason this is the issue IF you only see the problem in Absynth.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
Kamil

Quote:
That's what I'll do, then. Thanks.

This would be a whole lot easier if I could just load what I want from the Program List in Absynth. That won't work, either, though.
Absynth is one of my favourite synths, the mutate feature alone is so powerful! Best of luck getting everything working
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
dobro

Quote:
It's from the manual. On the Axiom press Recall then press 17 on the button pads. However, I don't think this is it. As luck would have it though, I just went back through the entire Axiom manual yesterday, that puppy has a boat load of settings but again, I can't find a reason this is the issue IF you only see the problem in Absynth.
When I first got the Axiom a couple years ago, I loaded a preset from something other than Absynth and did a track with pitch bending on it, and it worked wonderfully. Might be an Absynth thing. I'll experiment with other synths and see.

As for RTFM: I've only been through the quickstart guide. So, I'll add the Axiom manual to my list of things to study. Let's see...Kenny's two Reaper tutorial videos, the tutorials on Absynth and Reaktor, the tutorial on Garritan Orchestra. Yeah, life's good.

Last edited by dobro; 11-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.
dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
dobro

Hey, thanks for helping me with Absynth, you two. After living inside it for the last couple of days, a song came up last night. I used a preset.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Hey, thanks for helping me with Absynth, you two. After living inside it for the last couple of days, a song came up last night. I used a preset.
Nice! Absynth is pretty darn cool I must say.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
Kamil

Yeah I spent a couple days just iterating over mutations of presets and came up with 100+ unique and useable sounds. Great synth for ambiences and such!