Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default One serious "create measure from time selection" bug and one possible [ALMOST fixed]

Video:
http://adamwathan.com/reaper/tempomapbugs.mov

Possible bug:
If you use "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)" to tempo map a section that goes exactly from one pre-existing tempo marker to another pre-existing tempo marker, it changes the tempo of BOTH marker, not just the one at the beginning of the time selection. IMO, it should not change the tempo marker OUTSIDE of the time selection because I didn't ask it to. That part is already mapped to the correct tempo and Reaper seems to arbitrarily change it to be the same as the section inside the time selection, see first half of video.

Definite bug:
If you use the same function (Create Measure from Time Selection (new time signature)) to map out a section that starts anywhere, but ends exactly on another tempo marker, it DOESN'T add a new tempo marker at the beginning of the time selection. Instead, it ONLY adds one at the end ON TOP OF ANOTHER marker, you have to click and drag it back to line up with your time selection :/ See second half of vid.

Last edited by juliansader; 03-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

I can reproduce both on XP 32 bit. I am not very experienced with tempo mapping, so I won't judge about #1 (possible bug). I feel the same way that it seems wrong to change the marker at the end of the time selection.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
jayendra

I always thought there was something fishy going on with my edit cursor placement but this sound as if its a common logical/illogical thing.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
juliansader

This horrible bug is still alive in v5.40!

"Create measure from time selection" (both versions) alters existing tempo markers at the *end* of the time selection. The new tempos are sometimes even weird out-of-range values such as 8 bpm!

Before creating measure:

After creating measure:

Last edited by juliansader; 07-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
This horrible bug is still alive in v5.40!

"Create measure from time selection" (both versions) alters existing tempo markers at the *end* of the time selection. The new tempos are sometimes even weird out-of-range values such as 8 bpm!
Yep, that's really not a useful 'feature' to have your 120 BPM converted to 8 BPM.

Reproducible bug here in the latest pre release 5.50rc4
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
juliansader

In v5.70, "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)" is now working better when there is a tempo marker at the end of the time selection:

Before running "Create measure":

After:

But "Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)" still messes up the tempo marker:

Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In v5.70, "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)" is now working better when there is a tempo marker at the end of the time selection:
This improvement didn't last long. In the subsequent versions, "Create measure from time selection (new time signature)" stopped working again.

P.S. EIGHT and a half years since this bug was first reported!
Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
juliansader

Happy NINTH birthday to this bug report!

Wow, nowadays we can export intricate tempo maps from Melodyne via ARA2 -- but we still can't use REAPER's own very simple "Create measure" actions.

(I wonder if this is the oldest bug still alive and wriggling.)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
juliansader

IMPROVED in v5.972!

The actions now seem to work perfectly, except under one condition:

If timebase is beats for everything, and if this action changes the number of beats in the time selection, tempo/timesigs respond differently than items/markers/regions, causing misalignment:

Before:

After changing the first measure to 2/4, timebase = beats for everything, showing misalignment:

When timebase = time, everything stays aligned:

Last edited by juliansader; 03-10-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 AM   #10
juliansader

I found another problem, unfortunately: If the preceding tempo marker gradually transitions to the time selection into which new measures are inserted, tempo/timesigs get misaligned with beats, whether or not their timebase is beats or time:

Before:

After:

I suggest that in this situation, the gradual transition should be interpolated and kept fixed, by inserting a second tempo marker, similar to what happens when Regions are moved or copied:

Suggestion: