Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
semikid
Human being with feelings

Default Transfer one toolbars actions (all of 4) to another (5)

I'm trying to import one toolbar onto another (4) to (5), but Reaper doesn't allow this. Is there a quick and easy way to transfer over the same buttons I have on one toolbar to another? Or do I have to manually do them all over again each time?
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
Philbo King

It is possible to copy them, one button at a time.

Example:
Right click on the toolbar area (but off the buttons) and select Customize Toolbar...
Use the dropdown menu to select the toolbar to copy from, select a button, then R-click->copy (or Ctrl-C).
Use the dropdown again to select the toolbar to copy to, then R-click->Paste (or Ctrl-V)

Tedious, but possible.

Another, faster way:

1) Export each toolbar you want to move, using Export->Export Current Menu Toolbar to ReaperMenu File.
While the Save window is open, copy the file path.
Open an Explorer/Finder and paste in that path so you can access the files from outside Reaper.

2) Open each toolbar you just saved in a text editor (I use Notepad++).

The first line in each file looks like this:
[Floating toolbar 13]
3) Simply change that number to match which toolbar slot you want to use, save the file (appending the new number to the file name so it's easy to tell which file to pick for each slot).

4) Go back to Customize menus/toolbars dialog, and import each changed file into it's new toolbar slot.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to import one toolbar onto another (4) to (5), but Reaper doesn't allow this. Is there a quick and easy way to transfer over the same buttons I have on one toolbar to another? Or do I have to manually do them all over again each time?
Eyhey-- well it is a case of editing it seems--but it can be done quite simply.
Find your toolbar menuset--open it with a notepad-- and just copy over the items..but give each item a new number... it's painfull and tedious,but i'm also gonna be rea-organising like this soon...actions need checking.... maybe for v.6 (if it ever appears!)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
semikid

Thank you!
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Edgemeal

If you going to do this outside of Reaper anyway (and also on Windows), you might want to try ReaBar.
ReaBar is posted in Stash/Misc.
https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Misc

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-18-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
BobF

Thanks edgemeal. I'll be making use of this for sure.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
hopi

that external app is kind of kewl... but it could be better IMHO... in that it could let you choose which tb's you want to load instead of loading them all and it would be nice to see their names while you go about editing
Old 03-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
it could let you choose which tb's you want to load instead of loading them all and it would be nice to see their names while you go about editing
Ya I want that too! May not happen anytime soon so I'm not holding my breath.

Only workaround is to make all bars smallest height size then only expand height of the bar(s) you want to work with.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
hopi

what would really work fine for me would be not an ext. app but the ability in reaper to open two diff TB's at the same time and copy and paste between them...

as it is now we can copy and paste but have to open one TB, do the copy then open the other TB and do the paste.... really a royal PITA...

It just should be easier natively...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #10
G-Sun

Would like some cut/copy/paste myself
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Tod

You can export the toolbar files, open them up in a text editor, change the number of the toolbar, then re-save the text file. Then import it back into Reaper.

I also have a spreadsheet set up with formulas so I can edit toolbars any way I see fit, although it does require some thought and care to avoid making mistakes.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
You can export the toolbar files, open them up in a text editor, change the number of the toolbar, then re-save the text file. Then import it back into Reaper.

I also have a spreadsheet set up with formulas so I can edit toolbars any way I see fit, although it does require some thought and care to avoid making mistakes.
Yes, it's quite doable
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Edgemeal

Quote:
It just should be easier natively...
Agree to all of that!

I updated ReaBar, added option to hide/show, sort by title name, couple other little things.

EDIT Updated again, Look for ReaBar in Stash/Misc.
https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/Misc

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-18-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
hopi

thank you Edge.... getting it now... hopefully it's better for me...

much better... and now a question...

could there be a way to point the included icons folder to use the Data\toolbar_icons\ folder in an existing reaper install? such as a portable install?

hmmm... now that I look more at the new version, I wonder if this could actually become a total replacement for the reaper native toolbar editor?

I guess it would need to be able to find the actions list, huh???

EDIT: then also what about being able to change whatever icon to another icon?

Last edited by hopi; 03-18-2018 at 12:22 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
Edgemeal

Quote:
could there be a way to point the included icons folder to use the Data\toolbar_icons\ folder in an existing reaper install? such as a portable install?
The ini backup routines are based on where the exe is run from and I'd rather not mess with that part, for now anyway. Currently if you want to work with a portable install of Reaper (as noted in the readme) you have to copy "ReaBar.exe" and included sub-folder "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" to the root folder of the portable install, then run ReaBar.exe from there.

Quote:
I wonder if this could actually become a total replacement for the reaper native toolbar editor?
Don't think so, adding/editing actions would require a copy of your current action list, have no clue how to get that outside of Reaper.

Quote:
also what about being able to change whatever icon to another icon?
Changing the button icon images should be do-able, AFACT Reaper only allows the user to select images from "\Data\toolbar_icons" folder which we're already reading from. Its on my TODO list!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #16
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
The ini backup routines are based on where the exe is run from and I'd rather not mess with that part, for now anyway. Currently if you want to work with a portable install of Reaper (as noted in the readme) you have to copy "ReaBar.exe" and included sub-folder "v5_Default_ToolBar_Icons" to the root folder of the portable install, then run ReaBar.exe from there.

Don't think so, adding/editing actions would require a copy of your current action list, have no clue how to get that outside of Reaper.

Changing the button icon images should be do-able, AFACT Reaper only allows the user to select images from "\Data\toolbar_icons" folder which we're already reading from. Its on my TODO list!

thanks for the replies... well actually reaper will also allow icons for TB's if they are in the Theme itself... I have quite a few done that way and they do work for me...
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #17
Edgemeal

Quote:
thanks for the replies... well actually reaper will also allow icons for TB's if they are in the Theme itself... I have quite a few done that way and they do work for me...
Oh ya, and why I included that sub folder with the exe, it has all toolbar images from the Reaper v5 theme. ReaBar doesn't extract any images from users theme.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:06 PM   #18
djabthrash

For those interested, here is a feature request :

FEEL FREE TO UP IT to UPVOTE IT

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=279235

" Default Custom Toolbars: Copy/Paste Multiple Actions :

I've been creating multiple specialized toolbars. One thing I'm finding extremely tedious is that I often create a toolbar with multiple actions and assigned icons, where I would like to re-use quite a few of those already defined toolbar buttons/actions and copy them to another specialized toolbar. In doing so I find I'm not able to select multiple button/actions and copy/paste them to another toolbar. I have to do a one at a time copy/paste from one toolbar to the other. I guess I'm expecting to be able to perform standard Window's Shift+Select and/or Ctrl+Select of multiple items and be able to perform a single copy/paste of those multiple items to my new toolbar.

Is there something I'm overlooking which is available which would make this process less tedious?

As a sort of work around I've been opening the "reaper-menu.ini" file and doing manual editing of it in a text editor since I can do multiple selection copying/pasting in the text editor, but then I have to go back and manually modify the item and icon number assignments which is also tedious. "
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #19
babag

reaper toolbars need a huge overhaul. for that reason i use a script from user dafarkias for some toolbars. i think it's available in reapack. should be searchable in the forum if not. no longer supported but seems to continue to work fine for me.

babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote