Old 10-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Video Cover (Leon Russell)

Since we are both off this week for our anniversary, I made my wife sit on the couch about three feet away from my stool; just to up the pressure a little bit which made me nervous. So the short interaction is real - performance is still 100% live... except for the improvised solos in the middle and end of the song - I thought it was just to empty with nothing in those spots.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-11-2018 at 06:29 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Paul99

You keep getting better and better!
Nice video, nice T-shirt.
BTW, you get the sun-glasses cheaper by the dozen?
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
karbomusic

Thanks Paul!

The sunglasses story is I had ran out sometime last year and in August I tired of not having any so I ordered like 5 pairs, two pairs were the ones in the vid.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

Love it! Love that song as well and you did a great job converting it to acoustic. Even got the wife a pair of specs. Good for you! My only nit is the guitar sounds a bit louder than the voice, maybe because it is more full sounding? Could just be my ears, too.

Good job all around!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Love it! Love that song as well and you did a great job converting it to acoustic. Even got the wife a pair of specs. Good for you! My only nit is the guitar sounds a bit louder than the voice, maybe because it is more full sounding? Could just be my ears, too.

Good job all around!
Thanks Jeff. I mentally eased off the vocal a tad while singing because I thought it was a little loud in the last video, but much of it is just how it comes out in the wash since the vocal/guitar mix occurs while I'm playing - both are being picked up by the same mics at the same time.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
Tod

Another good one Karbo. I also liked the video FX for the lack of better words for it. And yeah, the shades are cool, you just need a little more of the wife.

I'm kind of with Jeff on the vocal not being loud enough, but I don't think that's exactly what it is.

This is just a thought on what it could be. The guitar is truly out there and in your face. I still hear a lot of compression, although the compression don't really bother me that much. What might be happening is that as the broad full sound of the guitar is getting compressed, the vocal which is not near as full and present, is sort of getting lost because it don't have the broad fullness to get compressed.

I'm not sure what the answer is, because the vocal will naturally be much narrower then the guitar.

Are you using a compressor or a limiter, or maybe both?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Another good one Karbo. I also liked the video FX for the lack of better words for it. And yeah, the shades are cool, you just need a little more of the wife.

I'm kind of with Jeff on the vocal not being loud enough, but I don't think that's exactly what it is.

This is just a thought on what it could be. The guitar is truly out there and in your face. I still hear a lot of compression, although the compression don't really bother me that much. What might be happening is that as the broad full sound of the guitar is getting compressed, the vocal which is not near as full and present, is sort of getting lost because it don't have as the broad fullness to get compressed.

I'm not sure what the answer is, because the vocal will naturally be much narrower then the guitar.

Are you using a compressor or a limiter, or maybe both?
Hi Tod,

It's compressed but should be far less than the previous one and is more parallel compression which it wasn't before. I just listened again and the vocal doesn't sound lost to me per se.

Many thanks for alerting me to what you guys are hearing, just not sure I know what it is yet. I did put on new strings which I didn't care for that much, the other strings were a few years old and these new ones have harmonics that are more and louder almost to the point of sounding mushy compared to the older strings.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-10-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Thanks, Tod. You explained it MUCH better than I could have.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
karbomusic

I made a couple small changes and uploaded again, not sure if noticeable or not but being live there isn't much to change.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-11-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I made a couple small changes and uploaded again, not sure if noticeable or not but being live there isn't much to change.
I'm not sure, maybe it sounds a little less compressed. Hard to tell without hearing them back to back.

The guitar don't sound bad with the compression, probably because it just sounds good anyway. Your strumming
is quite robust and when I hear the pumping I'm wondering if it's maybe bringing it out even more, maybe
pushing your vocal back some.

Of course these are just some off the wall observations Karbo, I'm not there and I'm being a little critical
here. It sounds great regardless, and you know my ears. I'm only nitpicking because it's you and your doing
some serious experimenting here with the mics and all. I love the sound your getting.

Waiting for the next one.

Ha ha, our posts are exactly 12 hours apart.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
SmajjL

By memory much better and more eum eum stereo 3D'ish interesting and the only thing I would change at my side is turn up the bas to taste straight up on in TotalMix at 128 Hz, so nothing fancy, just that and yes, I like "EDM"...
So a little more bas pressure as I can never stand turning the bas up that much normally that far, is my "logic"
Listened on Sennheizer HD595 and some cheap earbuds I happen to like.

Ps, I know there is no basman there

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-11-2018 at 04:18 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Ha ha, our posts are exactly 12 hours apart.
Ha they are. It's perfectly fine and welcomed to mention what catches your ear and suggestions etc. Chances are if I lean back in and keep the vocal louder when I record like the previous ones (the next time I record), it will fix it - I was just it was too loud before but maybe not.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
SmajjL

Does this mean you have not done anything yet at all and I am placeboing or something?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Does this mean you have not done anything yet at all and I am placeboing or something?
I remembered I had a third mic (ribbon) that I was using to add a little meat to the guitar, so I pulled it down about 4 dB, then I increased the center channel of the M/S track by 1 dB. If there were anything noticeable, the guitar would be a tiny bit wider, a tiny bit thinner and the vocal possibly a tiny bit louder.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
SmajjL

Ok, good.. thank you.. *puh* I don't have the first one to compare so I would be little sad if a SmajjL remembered so.. off, wrong and critiquing makes me nervous, and it is one Karbo I am "critiquing..
Anyway, I am Good with this one and you know the rest.
Bra jobbat! (Swe)

Old 10-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
poplomop

poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Since we are both off this week for our anniversary, I made my wife sit on the couch about three feet away from my stool; just to up the pressure a little bit which made me nervous. So the short interaction is real - performance is still 100% live... except for the improvised solos in the middle and end of the song - I thought it was just to empty with nothing in those spots.
Great job man! That's my favorite Leon Russell song. I had some friends who were hanging out at Shelter Records around the time when all the cool stuff was happening there. I'm an Okie, but not from Muskogee.

When Shelter closed down the local music store had all his stuff on consignment. I could have bought his harpsichord, but I couldn't have afforded it as a broke musician back then.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Great job man! That's my favorite Leon Russell song. I had some friends who were hanging out at Shelter Records around the time when all the cool stuff was happening there. I'm an Okie, but not from Muskogee.

When Shelter closed down the local music store had all his stuff on consignment. I could have bought his harpsichord, but I couldn't have afforded it as a broke musician back then.
That's super cool, I've always dug the mood and attitude of that tune and Leon's the man too.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
That's super cool, I've always dug the mood and attitude of that tune and Leon's the man too.
I had no idea who "The Wrecking Crew" was at the time (I was still in high school), or how many of the songs I had heard that had him playing on them. My second favorite song of his was "Back to the Island". Thanks for keeping his music alive!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
karbomusic

Just circling back real quick since no one ever noticed the carefully placed Easter egg LOL.

Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #21
Sambo Rouge

Nice one Karbo.

Took me back to some happy days --- or should I spell it -- daze?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Nice one Karbo.

Took me back to some happy days --- or should I spell it -- daze?
LOL, I've noticed I can post covers and discover the rough age/generation of a lot of members.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #23
Paul99

Quote:
LOL, I've noticed I can post covers and discover the rough age/generation of a lot of members.
No you're not. I am still very young......

Here's a fun fact: in my country there is a guy who is actually 69 and is now in court because he wants his birth-date being put 20 years later so he will be 49. He claims that he is being discriminated by age and therefor it is legit......
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
No you're not. I am still very young......
It was in jest because from time to time someone will reply about one of these tunes making it obvious they were around at that time, sometimes they state it directly, however...

I didn't say anything about "young/old".

Quote:
Here's a fun fact: in my country there is a guy who is actually 69 and is now in court because he wants his birth-date being put 20 years later so he will be 49. He claims that he is being discriminated by age and therefor it is legit......
I saw that and he said "If you can change your name why can't I change my age" to which I say, because your age is how long it's been since you were born dummy.