Old 04-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
ayskura
Human being with feelings

Default Pro Tools projects import

Hi and all my respect to Reaper developer(s) - this piece of software feels future ahead of all other DAWs.

I would like to add a feature request which would be killer for many people:

direct Pro Tools project import.

Ardour has this feature built-in and works pretty well
I'm sure it's possible to check ardour source code as it's open source.

This could make lot of people do the switch from Pro Tools to Reaper.

Love <3
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper Forums !

There are well supported tools that are crafted exactly for that purpose (E.g. AATranslator). Hence there is no motivation for the Reaper devs to include this in Reaper itself.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
airon

AATranslator works very well. The Protools session file format is not documented and also encrypted. It took a long time and a lot of work to support conversions. For that reason Reaper will probably never support direct Protools import.

AAT costs $59 without Protools/OMF/AAF support and $199 with. Inexpensive for professional users.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
AATranslator works very well. The Protools session file format is not documented and also encrypted. It took a long time and a lot of work to support conversions. For that reason Reaper will probably never support direct Protools import.

AAT costs $59 without Protools/OMF/AAF support and $199 with. Inexpensive for professional users.
Well Reaper full cost for a commercial studio is about that... pro tools import is available in Ardour and works very well I believe this would be a killer feature of Reaper for many reasons including batch processing. Instantly Reaper would get a huge number of users
Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 AM   #5
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forums !

There are well supported tools that are crafted exactly for that purpose (E.g. AATranslator). Hence there is no motivation for the Reaper devs to include this in Reaper itself.
-Michael
Hi Michael and thank you

I believe there is a huge incentive to see people more confident to do the switch. It would also be a nice comparison tool as you can import the same session, load the same plugins and see directly how efficient Reaper is. Many people would love this feature
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 AM   #6
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
Well Reaper full cost for a commercial studio is about that
Sure, but remember that if you purchased AATranslator 10 years ago you made one payment and you would be still getting updates but if you purchased Reaper 10 years ago then you would have paid several times over to continue getting updates.
We don't charge for updates - not many DAWs, including Reaper, can say the same.
It is always best to compare apples with apples ;-)

Quote:
pro tools import is available in Ardour and works very well
From my experience that's not quite accurate. Sure, it can work on some sessions and you can get some basic detail converted but it really doesn't take too much to make it crash and burn and as far as depth of detail converted, IMO it is a very long way off.
That is in no way a slight on the developers (who I know and respect) but it takes an enormous amount of resources to work with that format (which Avid quite happily change from version to version).

Quote:
I believe this would be a killer feature of Reaper for many reasons including batch processing. Instantly Reaper would get a huge number of users
Very true but the same could be said for OMF, AAF and many other formats.

As far as feature requests go, IMO, it never hurts to ask.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Sure, but remember that if you purchased AATranslator 10 years ago you made one payment and you would be still getting updates but if you purchased Reaper 10 years ago then you would have paid several times over to continue getting updates.
We don't charge for updates - not many DAWs, including Reaper, can say the same.
It is always best to compare apples with apples ;-)

From my experience that's not quite accurate. Sure, it can work on some sessions and you can get some basic detail converted but it really doesn't take too much to make it crash and burn and as far as depth of detail converted, IMO it is a very long way off.
That is in no way a slight on the developers (who I know and respect) but it takes an enormous amount of resources to work with that format (which Avid quite happily change from version to version).

Very true but the same could be said for OMF, AAF and many other formats.

As far as feature requests go, IMO, it never hurts to ask.
So you are publicising your own product diverging my feature request, would have been kind of your to make it clear from the beginning. I find ardour to work way better for simple tasks than AA translator and I would gladly see the same implementation of ardour (which is open source) in Reaper.

I appreciate your offer of having unlimited updates etc but Reaper is very fairly priced while for a translator program it’s a way steep price as I am sure the number of hours in development and research aren’t even close to what Reaper programmer had to go through. Still your utility is very useful and I am sure there are lot of Hollywood billionaires who are happy to pay this amount to have their huge cinema project translated to whatever. But for the rest of us who need to work with few dozens audio tracks Ardour works marvellous and it would be amazing to have this feature integrated into Reaper
Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
Runaway

Quote:
So you are publicising your own product diverging my feature request, would have been kind of your to make it clear from the beginning.
Actually, I wasn't advertising nor do I need to and in fact it was not me but at least two others who mentioned AATranslator previously in this thread.

Quote:
I find ardour to work way better for simple tasks than AA translator
Clearly your experience with it is better than mine and that is great

Quote:
I would gladly see the same implementation of ardour (which is open source) in Reaper.
As I said before so would many others

Quote:
Still your utility is very useful and I am sure there are lot of Hollywood billionaires who are happy to pay this amount to have their huge cinema project translated to whatever.
If that is the only criteria for purchasing then I didn't realise that there were so many Hollywood billionaires or huge cinema projects - handy to know

Quote:
But for the rest of us who need to work with few dozens audio tracks Ardour works marvellous and it would be amazing to have this feature integrated into Reaper
To which I agreed that like all feature requests it doesn't hurt to ask
Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #9
andyp24

Seriously, if you NEED PT import in Reaper, buy AAT. (It also reads and writes dozens of other formats). It is not expensive at all compared to most professional software, and the support is good.

Reaper's commercial licence is already cheap for a professional tool, and diverting a lot of resources into adding support for a feature that's already well catered for is not a good use of the dev's time imo.

If you're most concerned about using the cheapest option, then probably best to stick to Ardour.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 AM   #10
ayskura

No I don’t like AAT thank you

I am successfully doing it with Ardour and then move the project to Reaper and I think it could be a good implementation to have in Reaper. It my
Feature request and please respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
Seriously, if you NEED PT import in Reaper, buy AAT. (It also reads and writes dozens of other formats). It is not expensive at all compared to most professional software, and the support is good.

Reaper's commercial licence is already cheap for a professional tool, and diverting a lot of resources into adding support for a feature that's already well catered for is not a good use of the dev's time imo.

If you're most concerned about using the cheapest option, then probably best to stick to Ardour.