Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
spreadercraig
Human being with feelings

Default 2 Channel Pre Amp with s/pdif?

What am I looking at price-wise (uk) for a 2 channel mic pre-amp with s/pdif output?

Is this good or garbage? : http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...Pre-Preamp/I1C

What's any good?

Cheers
Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
camerondye

What's your setup at the moment? How many inputs do you already have...how many do you need...are you looking for more channels or a different tone...is Spdif all you have left on your converter?
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Narcoleptigon

The ART stuff I've owned is very good for the money. Technology has moved ahead at this point. Tube pres like the ART actually have a SS front end. The tubes are for coloration, which can also be done very well with various VST FX -- even better in ways. It also has a 48kHz SR limit, which isn't an issue for me, but it is likely USB 1.1/16 bit, since it's not mentioned, which is an issue. You will get better S/N and low level resolution with a good 24bit interface. I'd spend a little more for this: http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...-Interface/FWH
Narcoleptigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
beingmf

A real sleeper pre which goes for very little money and is amazing overall is the Roland MMP-2. Don't prejudge the unit because of its brand, its design and its obviously lacking popularity.
Ah, and don't focus on the mic modelling gimmick – all the other digital modules sound way better
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
spreadercraig

Cheers guys.

Yeah I've a focusrite saffire le currently, so have 4 analogue inputs just need another two so my only option apart from upgrading the interface (next year sometime I'm looking at a pro 40 or a pro 24 coupled with a behringer ada8000) is to get a pre amp with s/pdif out.

The le has no ADAT.

In the meantime I'll check out those recommendations...

Last edited by spreadercraig; 12-17-2012 at 02:44 AM.
spreadercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
camerondye

I think that is about the only thing in that price range that has spdif. The next thing I'm seeing is the ART Digital MPAII which I know some people really like but if you really just need the inputs I think you've got the idea. I looked online and it said the spdif output is 24bit 44.1/48k but if you use it through USB it's 16bit so I think you are good to go on ART Dual Tube. Sweetwater has relatively decent reviews for it also so it's probably a nice safe inexpensive bet that it will work fine for what you are wanting it for.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
ivansc

might be worth trying to find the adat card for your ff?

If I recall they were around £200 new and there are very likely to be some looking for a new home at a lower price than that.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
spreadercraig

Good stuff thanks all!
Old 10-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
wildschwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
A real sleeper pre which goes for very little money and is amazing overall is the Roland MMP-2. Don't prejudge the unit because of its brand, its design and its obviously lacking popularity.
Ah, and don't focus on the mic modelling gimmick – all the other digital modules sound way better
Thanks -- I know you said this a few years back but I had been looking for an affordable mic pre with spdif out to expand on my Mbox 2 and this one fits the bill. Just put a bid on one.

regards,

Canaan
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #10
cyrano

If used is an option, look for a Mindprint DI port.

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/ja.../mindprint.asp

Mindprint has ceased operations recently and these boxes are being dumped by everyone. Don't be misled by the "DI" part in the name. There's no DI. Just a 2 channel mic preamp and a 2 channel output with a hefty headphone amp. I like the headphone amp better than the one in my RME FF400. The mic preamps are almost on par with the RME, just a tad noisier when cranked completely open. And that's better the ART, that tends to be noisy over 90% gain.

I paid 30€ for mine...