Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Going to sell my M1 and return to Intel Mac

Reaper is unfortunately not there yet for M1 use. I am getting stutters all the time with any task switching like switching desktops, changing apps with apple+tab, and getting onscreen notifications. I have flashing yellow transport enabled to warn of dropouts and I get them all the time, when adding plugins, using synths to a mere fraction of their full capability in voices, etc.

The only thing I'll miss is these blazing fast render speeds, but it's not worth it to me anymore, since I primarily use Reaper for live jamming and looping.

Other DAWs are working more smoothly but... they're other DAWs. I can't do nearly half the stuff my live looper setup in Reaper has with MIDI routing, CC Mapper X, MIDI performer, etc.

It was fun for a while but too many performance hiccups, I just don't trust this machine anymore. Also, it's not all that much faster at basic computing stuff like Safari, and many apps even though they say they're M1 optimised simply run slower than the equivalent on my 11 year old Dell Intel laptop and 8 year old intel MacBook Pro.

Just reporting my 2 cents, hope others have had a better experience.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
many apps even though they say they're M1 optimised simply run slower than the equivalent on my 11 year old Dell Intel laptop and 8 year old intel MacBook Pro.
Which ones?
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #3
hulkss

Not my experience at all. REAPER runs fantastic on my M1 Mac mini. I do open REAPER using Rosetta for compatibility with VST3 plugins that are not for Apple Silicon. I get better performance than with any other VST host that I have tried.

I'm using "Loopback" from Rogue Amoeba to route core audio.
hulkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
scottwaltonvo

I'm a voice actor and relatively unschooled when it comes to Mac and Reaper but have had an M1 Mini with 16g memory for a year now. It has worked really well with just a few issues or glitches here and there. It has even run Waves and Izotope plugins with hardly any problem.

I installed 6.46 today and now I have all kinds of pops and stutters in my recordings. How do you open Reaper in Rosetta? Will that help my problem? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a VO project due and need to fix this problem.
scottwaltonvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwaltonvo View Post
I'm a voice actor and relatively unschooled when it comes to Mac and Reaper but have had an M1 Mini with 16g memory for a year now. It has worked really well with just a few issues or glitches here and there. It has even run Waves and Izotope plugins with hardly any problem.

I installed 6.46 today and now I have all kinds of pops and stutters in my recordings. How do you open Reaper in Rosetta? Will that help my problem? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a VO project due and need to fix this problem.
Did you make sure to install the one for M1? it's the 2nd on the download list.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwaltonvo View Post

Find REAPER.app in Finder, select it and hit Cmd+i then click "Open in Rosetta"
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
scottwaltonvo

Default Got it thank you!

Thanks so much! I got it and now everything works great! Even my Waves VST plugins. I appreciate the help.
scottwaltonvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
nepenthe

Reaper is super solid for me on an M1 Pro (not running in Rosetta). It sucks that you're having these issues. What sort of troubleshooting have you tried?
nepenthe is online now   Reply With Quote