Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
CraigG58
Human being with feelings

Default Waves Abbey Road Studios J37 Tape Plug-in

Any experience with the subject plugin? Was thinking of grabbing it from Sweetwater while it’s on-sale. It sounds very cool in the demo videos on the Waves web site, but my concern is one of CPU load.

My PC specs:
Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @3.60GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

Never had a problem with latency and the like before, with any of the myriad of plugins I routinely use. However, I’ve been reading various reviews reporting significantly high usage, although I can’t find any with complete PC specs.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/j37-tape

Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by CraigG58; 01-20-2022 at 10:31 PM.
CraigG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Judders

I've used it a lot on a Mac with much lower specs than your Windows machine, never had any problems or noticed particularly high CPU load.

Never used it for tracking though, only mixing with a high buffer.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
norbury brook

apart form the Abbey road plates and reverbs all my waves plugins including the J37 seem very light on resources. Then again I'm used to AA so anything is light on resources in comparison

M
Old 01-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
CraigG58

Really didn't want to have to open yet another account for access to demos at various sites (just call me lazy), but I went ahead anyway as this looked really interesting. More importantly, actual user opinions here are invaluable to me.

Wow, with a few tweaks this thing adds a lot of warmth to my Master track. As far as performance goes, the good news is thereís just a tiny load increase while mixing, so that concern was totally unfounded. The 22-track project Iím working with is still averaging only around 3% total and 8% RT with no xruns, and thatís with 17 other plugins active. 😁

Haven't done much experimentation on individual tracks yet, but I can see the potential. For 35 bucks, what the hell, looks like itís well-worth that small dive.

Thanks for sharing you guys, much appreciated!
Old 01-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
Judders

You can see Eric Valentine compare the plugin with a real J37 here:

Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
CraigG58

Great stuff, thanks for the link!

Naturally, a digital plugin is never going to match the sound of outboard analog gear, but IMHO this one comes damned close. In the end, more than good enough for my humble purposes. 👍
Old 01-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG58 View Post
Naturally, a digital plugin is never going to match the sound of outboard analog gear, but IMHO this one comes damned close.
It's getting closer all the time. I've been pretty disappointed with the performance of Waves plugins as well as the major aliasing you get from any non-linear ones like this. It sounds decent but uses too much CPU for more than a handful of instances. Smaller developers are quickly making Waves obsolete.

Also, Waves as a company just plain sucks. You'll think you're getting a deal until you realize that you'll keep having to pay for the plugins again and again to get updates with their greedy af licensing scam.

TAIP looks and sounds quite interesting and is also on sale: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/202...e-copy-inside/

But if you still want to go with Waves, just buy from them directly. They're constantly running sales.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
CraigG58

Yep, Iím aware of their update policy and definitely agree with you. While Iím certainly not defending it, someoneís got to pay for ongoing development and bug fixes. Stability over OS and DAW upgrades is naturally key, and time will tell since this is my first Wave plugin.

Look at REAPER itself. Although updates are supplied up to a given version, you still need to pay for renewal eventually. Of course, thatís one hell of a lot longer than a year, and as a whole youíre obviously getting orders of magnitude more bang for the buck since itís a complete DAW.

So, please donít get me wrong. Thereís no comparison there to the cost of Waves updates given their much shorter license durations. What Iím trying to say is, thereís no non-open source software I can think of thatís going to be updated for free until the end of time.

BTW, the reason I bought this plugin from Sweetwater (same price as direct from Waves) is I had almost exactly that much leftover on a gift card that I received for Christmas. 😉
Old 01-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #9
Judders

You don't have to pay for the update plan.

Some of their plugins I've bought twice instead of paying the WUP cost, because it's cheaper if you get them at their lowest sale price. I did that when I got a second machine that I started using Reaper on. I knew it would be much cheaper to pay $30 for a new license than pay WUP every year so I could use 1 license on 2 machines.

You can still use them forever without paying WUP fees.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #10
CraigG58

@Judders: BTW, really enjoyed that "Assignment Outer Space" track of yours. Big Dick Dale fan here, seems he may have been just a bit of an influence there. 🖖
Old 01-20-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
CraigG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
You don't have to pay for the update plan.

Some of their plugins I've bought twice instead of paying the WUP cost, because it's cheaper if you get them at their lowest sale price. I did that when I got a second machine that I started using Reaper on. I knew it would be much cheaper to pay $30 for a new license than pay WUP every year so I could use 1 license on 2 machines.

You can still use them forever without paying WUP fees.
A good point.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:23 PM   #12
maxdembo

I use J37 a lot on a ten year old i5 with no multithreading or hyperthreading, whatever its called. No issues, but I am using a slightly older version, havent updated for a while.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 PM   #13
Judders

Quote:
@Judders: BTW, really enjoyed that "Assignment Outer Space" track of yours. Big Dick Dale fan here, seems he may have been just a bit of an influence there. 🖖
I can't take credit for that!

It's not my track, it is a track by Space 1999 that I liked. If you follow that track to their profile page you will find a whole ton of cool retro tunes.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #14
CraigG58

Quote:
I can't take credit for that!

It's not my track, it is a track by Space 1999 that I liked. If you follow that track to their profile page you will find a whole ton of cool retro tunes.
Will do, thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
someoneís got to pay for ongoing development and bug fixes. Stability over OS and DAW upgrades is naturally key, and time will tell since this is my first Wave plugin.
Sure, but Waves does the absolute minimal updating in order to continue selling old plugins (for compatibility with hi-res monitors, they provided some blurry, scaled up GUI options. No one else charges old customers for basic support when they're continuing to collect new ones.

Anyways, not trying to convince you still. I've just had such a bad experience with them, I regret having so many of their products in my projects. Bit of a corner case maybe but due to multiple hardware failures, for half this year I was locked out of my legitimately owned plugins and Waves left me no recourse but to look for "other methods."

Admittedly, they do have some good -sounding plugins. But so does everyone else these days and most of the rest don't inflict this dinosaur DRM shit on their customers. If I could rewind, I would have steered clear. That is all.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:01 PM   #16
CraigG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Bit of a corner case maybe but due to multiple hardware failures, for half this year I was locked out of my legitimately owned plugins and Waves left me no recourse but to look for "other methods."
Strange, since their plugins should be authorised for use forever as long as you hold a license, at least until updates are required. As I mentioned, OS and/or DAW patches could certainly "break" them unless you update, but that's really the case with any plugin.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:07 PM   #17
maxdembo

Quote:
Strange, since their plugins should be authorised for use forever as long as you hold a license
Yeah, but should doesnt matter much to a computer code thats somehow lost your details or wont recognise your license key etc.

Waves get loads of complaints in this regard. Legit users switching to a cracked release because its less hassle and functions better
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:41 AM   #18
zeekat

Quote:
Strange, since their plugins should be authorised for use forever as long as you hold a license, at least until updates are required. As I mentioned, OS and/or DAW patches could certainly "break" them unless you update, but that's really the case with any plugin.
Your hold on this license is kinda tenuous, it's a precious and volatile entity which exist in one place a time. If your system where it's activated dies before license can be evacuated to Waves cloud or an USB stick it's gone. They provide once-a-year recovery option in such cases, but if you have another catastrophe soon you're locked out of your bought product until once-a-year option resets.

You don't even need a hardware failure to lose the license - I had to use my recovery twice (luckily a couple years between them), pretty sure first one was some unrelated software change on my system that made the licenser freak out (I think it was a removal of long unused VPN client, that was never used as main internet access).

Last edited by zeekat; 01-22-2022 at 04:03 AM. Reason: grammar
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:54 AM   #19
Judders

Certainly worth knowing the risks going in, but I've never had problems in many years of using them.

I got 3 new licenses for $29 in their Christmas sale for my new laptop instead of getting trapped in WUP for second machine use. If those licenses go poof for some reason, I'm not going to be too bummed about it.

Very different to smaller devs who I've had no problems shooting an email to sort out license problems.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #20
CraigG58

Quote:
Certainly worth knowing the risks going in
Sure is, good information all. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #21
foxAsteria

Quote:
Strange, since their plugins should be authorised for use forever as long as you hold a license, at least until updates are required.
Yes well it's rather the computer system that "holds" the license and if you wipe, lose or destroy it, the license is also gone forever. That's what happened to me...twice...except their policy is to only bail customers out of hardware failures once per year...

Alternatively you can store it on a flash drive or in the "cloud," which is more foolproof I guess, but it wasn't the way I was used to doing things.

I just can't forgive them for telling me I would either have to buy a new license or wait til the end of the year to finish the projects I was working on. Hence I now shit on Waves every chance I get.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:47 PM   #22
CraigG58

Totally understandable, I feel ya.