Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #1
andy79
Human being with feelings

Default (How to) Time selection quick set and adjust

Hi community,

Being in the phase of trying to streamline my Reaper workflow a bit when working with midi items, I realized I have a problem defining and moving around fast with my time selection.

The main point is that I don't want it to be item dependent, but rather the items to be defined by the time selection(like the insert new midi item).

So, how would it be possible to set its length to grid snap points and/or to move it back and forth easily, with actions and shortcut keys?

Thanks in advance,
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy79 View Post
So, how would it be possible to set its length to grid snap points and/or to move it back and forth easily, with actions and shortcut keys?
Most of the time selection actions are for the mouse usage. So with snapping enabled, it's pretty easy to set it to the grid and move it around with mouse. But setting and moving the time selection with actions and shortcuts gets harder at least to set up.

You'd probably need to use some actions to move the play/edit cursor around and then some custom actions which will eg. set the loop start and end points and then the time selection between them. Not time selection moves per se, but rather creating a new time selection of predefined length to the position you want it. Then you could fine tune it with actions like Time selection: Move cursor left/right, creating time selection etc.

Couple of examples here to give you an idea;
Action / Script to shift timeline selection ?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199777
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
andy79

Thank you xpander, indeed it's a very similar request to what you linked.

I already found that action "Time selection: Shift right (by time selection length)" before creating the thread.
My problem is that for me at least, it shifts only by pixel (continuous) not by grid, although snap to grid is activated.

Andy
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
xpander

There are also actions like SWS: Move cursor and time selection left to grid, same for right to grid, and these will work depending on which end of the time selection your cursor is at.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
andy79

Many thanks, missed the SWS one.

Getting a bit better with these now..