Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Default Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard - MIDI Ox alternative

I just ran across this while scrambling to fix a script that needs MIDI input despite not owning any MIDI devices, and it didn't look like anyone's posted it here yet.

http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

Virtual keyboard, controller events, etc. Yay!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Glennbo

Very cool. Thanks! I used Bome's virtual midi keyboard on the Windows side of my DAW, and it came in handy now and then. Snagged it with Synaptic.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I just ran across this while scrambling to fix a script that needs MIDI input despite not owning any MIDI devices, and it didn't look like anyone's posted it here yet.

http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/

Virtual keyboard, controller events, etc. Yay!
I have just used my pc keyboard with a standalone soft synth - but thanks YA - good lookin out! Will test it... thnx
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
s wave

Have you (anyone?) tried the JACK Virtual Midi Keyboard anyone? here it is...http://jack-keyboard.sourceforge.net/ thx in advance
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Very cool. Thanks! I used Bome's virtual midi keyboard on the Windows side of my DAW, and it came in handy now and then. Snagged it with Synaptic.
FYI I found the version on Synaptic a bit buggy - if I added a pair of controller buttons for the same CC, only one of them would work. The .AppImage download from the VMPK site is a bit more up to date.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
FYI I found the version on Synaptic a bit buggy - if I added a pair of controller buttons for the same CC, only one of them would work. The .AppImage download from the VMPK site is a bit more up to date.
The version I got through Synaptic is v0.4.0 dated April 3 2018, and seems to work for what I'd use it for with REAPER. I just try to avoid downloading and installing anything from 3rd parties if I can get it directly through Synaptic. REAPER and some paid Linux VSTs are about all I've installed outside of Synaptic.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The version I got through Synaptic is v0.4.0 dated April 3 2018, and seems to work for what I'd use it for with REAPER. I just try to avoid downloading and installing anything from 3rd parties if I can get it directly through Synaptic. REAPER and some paid Linux VSTs are about all I've installed outside of Synaptic.
They're on v0.7x now - v0.4 looks like it was around 2016. The official download is through SourceForge, so it's not exactly disreputable.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
They're on v0.7x now - v0.4 looks like it was around 2016. The official download is through SourceForge, so it's not exactly disreputable.
I'm just extremely cautious with Linux, since I don't know it's inner workings like the back of my hand as I do with Windows.

With Windows I knew all the names of all the native modules that should be running, and could quickly spot unwanted rogue tasks (like program updaters I don't want constantly running) in the task manger which is not the case with Linux, so I am very reluctant to download and install anything that isn't from a reputable company that I at least know something about.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
Stringer

Is this superior to Reaper's built-in virtual keyboard? I use Reaper's keyboard on occasion and it seems to work fine.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Is this superior to Reaper's built-in virtual keyboard? I use Reaper's keyboard on occasion and it seems to work fine.
As a keyboard it gives you a few more options, but the big draw for me is that you can add buttons/switches/sliders/knobs to handle CC messages. I have a couple of scripts that are meant to be triggered by CCs via Reaper's MIDI Learn, but I don't have any MIDI hardware to test them with.