Old 05-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default .950 yay

I suppose it should just be ".95" but oh well.

REAPER '95.

or something.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
petramar
Human being with feelings

???

And when did you say 949 was released?

I'm speechless.

Midi preview is again a great step forwards. I started previewing a drum track, but when hitting the piano roll keys I indeed get the piano, not the loaded VSTi, also after selecting channel 10. Is that right or am I wrong?*

And I hadn't even worked my way through 949 yet.
You're a monster, Justin.

* The problem only seems to exist for Hypercanvas, that I sometimes use as a GM module. It works fine for other VSTi's.

Last edited by petramar; 05-06-2006 at 08:01 PM.
petramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Jed

Excellent as usual Justin

The improved multiple item copy works a treat! The midi is coming along great - looking forward to this getting better and better. ....SPP.....SPP...SPP.... (did I think that or say it?)

Thanks heaps
Jed
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
chip mcdonald

the llama's ass is being thoroughly kicked...
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
petramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald
Ass?
Chip, you better carefully study this:

http://www.rockymtllamas.com/images/KnowYourLlama.gif
petramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Revised ctr/drag to copy works very sweet - heh, it's all so smooth - just dragged a file from the Media Explorer into a new session - track is auto created - split at an a random spot - drag the right hand part down - new track created - repeat several times to make several tracks each with an item - ctrl/click several, ctrl/drag across making copies on the same track crossfaded with the originals, then the same down to make more tracks to hold them - all just so slick!

Unfortunately midi playback seems to be broken here - reinstalling previous versions, .946 is ok but .947 onwards I get horrible distorted buzzes - anyone got an idea why that should have happened? When I record enable the track and twiddle on the keyboard it's fine - just playback of midi files is haywire.

Apart from the deeply unpleasant sound, the midi editor improvements really seem to make it genuinely usable!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Hmm strange, midi playback is fine for me.. have you tried lots of VSTis etc?

-Justin
Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

Trying right now...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Actually, install .950, then unzip this to your plugins\ directory, and see if it helps:

http://cockos.com/reaper/files/reaper0950_midiupd.zip

-Justin
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

All seems broken. And all fine in that earlier version. Weird. I'll try deleting prefs or whatever it is, maybe even a reboot, stuff like that - anything else worth trying?

The distortion is a loud buzz which can be heard twice at the commencement of each note.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
Art Evans
Mortal

OK - I'll try that - hang on.....
Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Art Evans
Mortal

Slightly misread you but anyway, I actually uninstalled .950-1, reinstalled .950, put that .dll into the Reaper program directory "plugins" folder replacing the one there - and still the same problem. Hmm.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

Putting the reaper_midi.dll from .946 into .950-1 works, but then there's no editor improvements from the current version.

It's hard to conclude other than that the problem lies in that dll, but why is it only me having the problem?

XP-Pro SP2, P4 3gig, 1Mb memory, FWIW. Echo Mia Midi using its native asio driver.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
Jed

FWIW I tracked all day yesterday using various VSTi's and DXi's with no issues of this ilk.

Cheers
Jed

In fact Reaper was as smooth as a babies bum.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
All seems broken. And all fine in that earlier version. Weird. I'll try deleting prefs or whatever it is, maybe even a reboot, stuff like that - anything else worth trying?

The distortion is a loud buzz which can be heard twice at the commencement of each note.
The commencement of each note eh?

If you bypass FX on the track, does it still buzz?

-Justin
Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Art Evans
Mortal

no - the only fx being the vsti, then I get silence.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
skillprevails

Art Evans please, pardon this interruption in what is otherwise serious subject matter but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth
Remember,it still whips the llama's ass
Quote:
chip mcdonald began posting on 5-03-06 and since that time i haven't seen any posts by synth. now i "aint" no genius but...untill we see chip and synth post in the same thread i guess were gonna have to assume that they are the same person. maybe justin can check the ip address(es)

merely a humble truth seeker
skillprevails
skillprevails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Art Evans
Mortal

I "know" Chip from the Audition forums and I think he's distinctly different from Synth!

Meanwhile.... I've fixed my problem by deleting the .ini file (and anything else which looked good to delete) and reinstalling. Curiously the midi file I was working with earlier plays at about x100 speed now. A newly recorded on is ok.

I know the trick of deleting the .ini file has been mentioned any number of times, but... it does seem to work when all else fails. Heh, you wonder whether there could even be some option in the interface to do it for you without having to rummage to get to it, at least while the beta testing continues.

Now to put everything back the way it was...
Old 05-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
skillprevails

Art im kidding,
anyways.. can i make a suggestion? i use this
freeware called total uninstall 2.35. i use it
everytime i install or remover Reaper. it gives
me no trouble

there is commercial version of this program
(version three i think)but heres a link to
the freeware version
http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/util/uninst.html

Last edited by skillprevails; 05-07-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #20
Jed

LOL Art - If you have wierd problems with Sonar, the first thing that anyone will tell you is 'Delete the Aud.ini file and reboot'!

Cheers
Jed
Old 05-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #21
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillprevails

now i "aint" no genius but...untill we see chip and synth post in the same thread i guess were gonna have to assume that they are the same person. maybe justin can check the ip address(es)
Yes, you are not a genius because I don't know who you're talking about. On the other hand, it doesn't take really a genius to make the connection between Justin>programmer of audio app>pictures of a llama / Winamp (audio app)>llamas.

Whoever is the admin of this board can check the IP address and I request this now, since someone is apparently infering something negative.

Also note, I am posting as MYSELF, which is confirmable by looking at my own message board - as well as many other music-oriented sites across the net. I found this place in Craig Anderton's Harmony Central site:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1235522

Your skill is not prevailing.
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #22
d. gauss

trust me, chip is chip. has been for years. there ain't no one else like him.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
skillprevails

Quote:
Your skill is not prevailing.
my skill is not at issue.

lets look at this together chip.'aint' is not standard english, this is why i put it in parenthesis. i was actually gonna spell genius with a "z" but i didnt think i needed to make it that obvious that i was joking

you MAY of also caught on when i said "pardon the interruption in the serious subject matter".

taking it further i said "until we see chip and synth post in the same thread" now honestly, think about it, what would it prove to have 2 people post in the same thread?

the person named synth is somewhat playful and someone whose posts i enjoy. i thought these remarks would get a humorous response out of him. however ,if it didnt come accross that way then i assure you there is nothing mean in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss
trust me, chip is chip. has been for years. there ain't no one else like him.
understood

Last edited by skillprevails; 05-07-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #24
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default some midi editing questions

Midi editing improvements (playback...) is really fine in that new version, quite basic, but fine... but i have some questions :

_ Do you Justin plan to add basic tools in midi editing (like a pen, an eraser... an icon "Q" to quantize...) Or do you think that doing that with keyboard shortcuts is enough ?

_ Do you plan to have something (like in Fruity Lops, or tracktion, or Live), with Notes in a row with piano roll, and the midi automation or velocity/cutoff/pan data in a row below or above the second one ? This would be great !

_ how to record automation, live knobs tweaking, if we can't record midi in loop mode ? I mean, i used to record first the notes, and then the automation in the second take, so we would need these loop recording feature ! Is it planned in a near future ?

_ in most of my projects, when i play a loop using midi patterns and vsti, when the loop set back to the beginning, 8 times on 10 i do not hear the first note (the kick in the case of a drumpart with a very basic beat)... The weirdest is that 2 times on 10, i hear it !

_ I noticed that the grids, in tempo mode ("measure" and not "time"), do not match the beats : Everything works fine to the ear, but not to the eye (I don't know i what i say here in my bad english is understandable)... Did anybody noticed that ?

Ok, that should be enough for today
(i post my FR and bug reports on the forum now, as i gcan get people's replies).

EDIT : not, is not really "all" for today : i have a small gadget request : a graphic cpu charge indicator, always visible, in a corner of the main screen...
Very useful when working with vsti ! (I know you can view the cpu hit in a plugin window, but a graphic indicator always visible could quickly tell if you can add a plugin, or should remove one, and it is quite needed in Live situations...)

Last edited by sinkmusic; 05-07-2006 at 03:03 PM.
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #25
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
_ in most of my projects, when i play a loop using midi patterns and vsti, when the loop set back to the beginning, 8 times on 10 i do not hear the first note (the kick in the case of a drumpart with a very basic beat)... The weirdest is that 2 times on 10, i hear it !
Ok you're the silver surfer : fixed in less than 24H in version 0,951.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #26
sinkmusic

Default midi request : cloning, and then "save as"

Ok
I have had another idea regarding Midi editor :

One nice thing I'd like to see in Reaper is the ability not only to "save" a pattern after modifications, but to "save as".

Let's take an example :
- i have a project, i'm making a midi bass with a vsti.
I want to have nearly the same bass to play, but add or delete a few notes on the second bass played by another vsti.
- So i clone the first pattern (midi loop) in the new track with the second vsti, and then, in editing the first pattern, the changes are saved, but only for the new track : the first bassline is intact, and i made a secondbassline from a clone of the first...

I'm always proceeding that way in Live, and this is very nice, quick & efficient.

PS : 2 questions :
- would it be a need to create a new thread dedicated to midi improvements ? (because nearly every threads talk about midi, but it looks like a mess, maybe we could have a dedicated thread ? )
- Is it ok in comparing frequently features available on other hosts, or is it better not to do so ?