Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #41
richie43
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not that I know of. I threw in a fresh SSD, booted to USB, installed. /done.

You 'may' need to be on a licensed machine when you run the tool to create the media; but not when you go to the machine you are installing that media to.
I am downloading to a USB as I type. So when I install on a different machine, won't I need to produce some license? I have never seen a Windows installation that didn't ask for serial number or license.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #42
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
That's a decent rig. No need to upgrade IMO. Plenty of RAM and speed. And since your OS has been acting up maybe a clean install is worth the work.

And glad to hear you have multiple backups! You are among the minority here probably! Are you using a universal backup and restore program? Just curious. It can really save your ass when you go to migrate to a new upgraded machine.
I use to make my money doing this crazy audio, so it only took one catestrophic event (truly lost some work, thus money) to cause me to rethink backups seriously.
I have multiple backups of images, audio work, vsts, samples, even renders. And for images, I use Macrium Reflect (paid version) and Windows native image save/restore. I have to add here that I have had great luck restoring images from the Windows built in system, but it's nice having alternatives. And I make new rescue discks every 3 or 4 months.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I am downloading to a USB as I type. So when I install on a different machine, won't I need to produce some license? I have never seen a Windows installation that didn't ask for serial number or license.
It will ask, you can enter then.... or skip and deal with post install but at some point you need your win10 key to activate.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #44
richie43

Quote:
It will ask, then you can enter then.... or skip and deal with post install but at some point you need your win10 key.
Aha...that's what I was afraid of....
As I said, I have never done an an installation on that computer. I bought it with 8.1 installed, so I was never in possession of DVD and key. And every upgrade has been the free upgrades as the OS developed into 10. Maybe I can log into my MS account and find record of one?
Old 08-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #45
Steviebone

Quote:
I use to make my money doing this crazy audio, so it only took one catestrophic event (truly lost some work, thus money) to cause me to rethink backups seriously.
I have multiple backups of images, audio work, vsts, samples, even renders. And for images, I use Macrium Reflect (paid version) and Windows native image save/restore. I have to add here that I have had great luck restoring images from the Windows built in system, but it's nice having alternatives. And I make new rescue discks every 3 or 4 months.
I'm not positive but I think Macrium has a version that does universal restore. For me, anyway, this has been a lifesaver. I have so many things installed on my DAW that making a reinstall from scratch is almost impossible. The last time I did that it took literally weeks to get everything reinstalled. 100 hours or so a very tedious labor at least... Never doing that again!

Yeah, and don't forget to keep your images off-line, at least some of them.

I'm a redundancy freak. Mirrored drives, disk copies for covering accidental deletions, clones for immediate reboot in case of some sort of OS corruption or catastrophic failure, as well as multiple images stored in many places. I know, I know, it sounds OCD - because it is...

But, a few years ago I had a drive fail in a raid array. It was a six drive array. The software said to replace drive 3. So I counted down 3 slots and pulled drive three and stuck a new drive in thinking problem solved!

Wrong. Apparently this particular enclosure counted from the bottom up (who knew?). Anyway end of story by the time I figured out what had happened bye-bye array. Drives have gotten so big now that I have abandoned Raid 5 arrays and just stick to mirrors now. This way any drive can be pulled and immediately stuck in another machine.

So I AM OCD about backup. But I sleep good at night.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #46
Coachz

I did the Windows 10 upgrade and when I run a utility to get my windows product key it says: Windows Version: Windows 8 Professional x64 6.2.9200

If I installed to a new computer would I be able to do the free 10 upgrade again ?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #47
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I did the Windows 10 upgrade and when I run a utility to get my windows product key it says: Windows Version: Windows 8 Professional x64 6.2.9200

If I installed to a new computer would I be able to do the free 10 upgrade again ?
I am not a Windows 10 user but I just read an article the other day that said they were still offering free upgrades from windows 7 and 8 to 10. Not sure what the process is though. Maybe this will help:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #48
karbomusic

Quote:
Aha...that's what I was afraid of....
As I said, I have never done an an installation on that computer. I bought it with 8.1 installed, so I was never in possession of DVD and key. And every upgrade has been the free upgrades as the OS developed into 10. Maybe I can log into my MS account and find record of one?
The install should work and but not activate and you'll have at least some grace period to figure out the key part. That said, if the other machine was running you could pull the key with a utility but it isn't.

Did Jim by chance stick the sticker on the computer case that contains the key? I'm guessing not since I have one of his machines and no sticker so.... - I'd imagine the key was in the paperwork when you got the machine but probably not around any longer?
Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #49
richie43

Quote:
The install should work and but not activate and you'll have at least some grace period to figure out the key part. That said, if the other machine was running you could pull the key with a utility but it isn't.

Did Jim by chance stick the sticker on the computer case that contains the key? I'm guessing not since I have one of his machines and no sticker so.... - I'd imagine the key was in the paperwork when you got the machine but probably not around any longer?
Because I did so many digital upgrades, the last time I checked, there was no key, but instead there is a digital installation file somewhere. The OS is not running, but I will have access to the entire C drive, it's just not bootable (The HD still works, but readable as plain files like any other hard drive). I looked on my Microsoft account and it said that there is no key file to that computer. If the digital file is hard coded to the hard drive, then I am hosed. It it's coded tot he motherboard, it should just authorize anyway. We will see...
But no sticker...and believe it or not, I DO have my paperwork...no key file there, either!

I know that I "should" just build a new system, but Jim's computers are so awesome, everything is still working so well.... I am likely going to add the ssd and go with fresh installation.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #50
karbomusic

Quote:

I know that I "should" just build a new system, but Jim's computers are so awesome, everything is still working so well.... I am likely going to add the ssd and go with fresh installation.
They are awesome for sure but I'm mildly disappointed if he didn't supply a key. Maybe email him, say howdy, long time no see and WTF with the key.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #51
richie43

I will if needed. I will install first and go from there.