Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
synth
Human being with feelings

Default 0.948 and just a couple more minor requests

Great release,most of the annoyances are gone,but there's just a few more "baddies" left to get rid of.

So,here's some more minor requests to get rid of all major annoyances left in REAPER:

- A close command in the right-click context menu of the docked explorer window.Why is it missing? The docked mixer has one,OTOH.

- One major annoyance is still in REAPER: There is no ability to play or do anything in REAPER while the options window (and/or ASIO4ALL control panel) is open. This is really needed for quickly testing and determining the lowest usable latency for working on a project with REAPER.
I need to alternately change buffer size in ASIO4ALL and play the project after the change without closing the options and ASIO4ALL panel a hundred times.Very annoying.
In FLStudio,for example,you are allowed to freely do anything while both the options and ASIO4ALL windows are open.

- Option to open an inserted empty event in the REAPER MIDI editor.Not possible now,or "Insert empty MIDI event" option.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth

- Option to open an inserted empty event in the REAPER MIDI editor.Not possible now,or "Insert empty MIDI event" option.
You can already do this with "Insert/New Midi File".

Or did I misunderstand You?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
You can already do this with "Insert/New Midi File".

Or did I misunderstand You?
This option is for opening already existing MIDI files,not for creating a new empty MIDI file that you can record over.
(this opens the Windows "Open Files" dialog,instead of simply creating a short piece of an empty MIDI file)
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth
This option is for opening already existing MIDI files,not for creating a new empty MIDI file that you can record over.
(this opens the Windows "Open Files" dialog,instead of simply creating a short piece of an empty MIDI file)
It creates an empty midi event. In the browse dialog, You select the name of the new file, then open it in the midi editor. Works like a champ.

EDIT: To open an existing midi file, use the "Insert/Media File".
Old 04-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Yeah, even Mr "I'm not interested in Midi" here has done that!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
fluffy

I've been fooling with it lately, too. A little more than usual, anyway.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
It creates an empty midi event. In the browse dialog, You select the name of the new file, then open it in the midi editor. Works like a champ.

EDIT: To open an existing midi file, use the "Insert/Media File".
OK,if this works,what about an option to create and auto-rename an empty midi file with just a single click,like creating NewMIDIFile01.mid,NewMIDIFile02.mid...etc.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
scum

i got some questions too, will write here, no meaning to make 100 threads, but first:
im impressed ot midi editor, well, it needs some more tweaks, all we know this, but i feel good when working with it and writing midi(after all midi i wrote, i never thought i will tell something like this)

so: what about "backup Reaper settings", im sure that mr.Justin can do this, and it will be a 1k small txt file
and 2nd thing - why do we need 2 volume controls for each channel - one in left panel, and one in mixer - i know, it is a reaper conception and interface, but for me the left are useless, i never touched them, i use the mixer, and this is a lot of space
scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

Almost all such apps have that dual interface. But I guess hiding the panel beside the tracks would be technically possible and might suit some.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 AM   #10
bensommerfeld

Default ...

Some points I've noticed while mixing:

Loss of audio object selection:

- Mark some audio objects you want to move
- Move them a little bit to left or right
- Click the rider to the position before these audio objects so that you can listen to the part where these objects come up
- Push play to see wether the audio objects are now positioned properly in the song

----> You lose the selection of these audio objects

That happens to me all the time and can get a little stressing if you need to move them a lot to position them correctly into the arrangement

Also, when you move some audio objects while the arrangement is playing, the behaviour of the audio playback is "not fluent". So when you move the audio objects while they're playing, the playback of these objects sounds "distorted" - just not "fluent" anymore

And one last point: As you (might) know, one can turn the volume of an object up or down with the mouse. Just by clicking on top of the audio object and then pulling the volume line of this audio object down.
When you do that while this audio object is played back, you don't hear the volume change. You have to push stop and play again to hear the change of volume in this audio object.

I hope you know, what I mean

Also: Is there any way to mark audio / midi objects by holding the left mouse button and making a selection of the objects you want to select?

Last edited by bensommerfeld; 04-27-2006 at 01:30 AM.
bensommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scum
and 2nd thing - why do we need 2 volume controls for each channel - one in left panel, and one in mixer -
Because if, say, you're tracking, you don't really need the mixer and browser so you can close them and reserve all your screen real estate for keeping an eye on your tracks while still having access to a fader for a quick tweak if needs be.

When you're mixing, the needs are reversed so you get the mixer in there and give it all the estate you can and concentrate on the mix. Best of both world if you ask me.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
And one last point: As you (might) know, one can turn the volume of an object up or down with the mouse. Just by clicking on top of the audio object and then pulling the volume line of this audio object down.
When you do that while this audio object is played back, you don't hear the volume change. You have to push stop and play again to hear the change of volume in this audio object.
Heh, I'd forgotten that trick! It does a rather cool fade rather than responding instantly so if it item is very short I guess you'd not hear the change.

The graphical item volume line you've mentioned seems to be different from the item volume you see in the item properties. Confusing perhaps.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 AM   #13
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
----> You lose the selection of these audio objects
If you temporarily group the objects that should solve the problem in practice.

Quote:
Also, when you move some audio objects while the arrangement is playing, the behaviour of the audio playback is "not fluent".
I wouldn't expect it to be under the circumstances.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
Art Evans
Mortal

Meanwhile, I see elsewhere that Justin is putting his feet up for a few more days - well, his foot up, anyway. I can't believe that anyone here would begrudge him some rest!