Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #161
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Default Solo-Dim love

Been using Solo dim alot more recently - by that i mean the dim 'level' is mapped to a knob on my controller. thats the key bit!

the action of interest: adjust solo in front dim (midi cc/mousewheel)

fully clockwise, = same as not solo'd
full anticlockwise = traditional 100% solo'd
imbetween = the solo'd tracks with the rest blending in to taste.

great for editing/reviewing certain tracks, reducing the rest but allowing 'context' decisions.
also for recording new parts without messing with 'official' mix levels, as can net-effectively bump the volume up on the track(s) of interest and allow to you get a good balance for tracking without resorting to headphone mixes etc.

so - Dim Lovio

(welsh gag)
Old 10-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #162
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Been using Solo dim alot more recently - by that i mean the dim 'level' is mapped to a knob on my controller. thats the key bit!

the action of interest: adjust solo in front dim (midi cc/mousewheel)

fully clockwise, = same as not solo'd
full anticlockwise = traditional 100% solo'd
imbetween = the solo'd tracks with the rest blending in to taste.

great for editing/reviewing certain tracks, reducing the rest but allowing 'context' decisions.
also for recording new parts without messing with 'official' mix levels, as can net-effectively bump the volume up on the track(s) of interest and allow to you get a good balance for tracking without resorting to headphone mixes etc.

so - Dim Lovio

(welsh gag)
great one
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #163
shakesmyteeth

Default CPU saving trick

I haven't come across this Tip in the forum in relation to CPU problems so forgive me if everyone knows this. I am using very basic equipment and this solved a MAJOR headache for me..

I have a project that is running 2 tracks (guitar & piano) through the same VST reverb
Typically this uses 70% of my CPU and my little netbook hates this and will crash.

I've got around this by duplicating the whole project, then using the new version of the project, deleting every track except for the guitar & master, then rendering this to an mp3.

Next I have opened the original project, deleted the guitar track and replaced it with the mp3. I repeated this with the piano track.
They both sound the same as the originals, with the reverb and the mastering FX intact but now use about 20% of the CPU.

I don't have a problem with CPU usually, it only seems to be with this reverb, but until I get some more CPU, it does the trick nicely !
shakesmyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #164
Fex

^ You're half right.... yet quite wrong....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesmyteeth View Post
I've got around this by duplicating the whole project, then using the new version of the project, deleting every track except for the guitar & master, then rendering this to an mp3.
So far, so good....
Quote:
Next I have opened the original project, deleted the guitar track and replaced it with the mp3. I repeated this with the piano track.
They both sound the same as the originals
Um... no, they don't. They really don't.

REAPER's mp3 rendering with LAME is superb, but mp3 is not a lossless format, and it is not a good format to use where audio quality is important.

The tip works if the parts with the troublesome plugins are rendered to wav. This can be done within a project by right clicking on the track and choosing Render/freeze tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals).

You can delete the originals if you want to, but there's really no need to. The plugins won't use any CPU once they're disabled.

Mp3 is a good format to use in side projects where audio quality doesn't matter. For example, you might render an entire project to mp3 so as to save resources while you record a solo for it... and the thing to do then would be to throw the mp3 away, and move the solo to the original project, but in wav format, not mp3.
Quote:
I have a project that is running 2 tracks (guitar & piano) through the same VST reverb
Typically this uses 70% of my CPU and my little netbook hates this and will crash.
A better solution might be to use a more efficient reverb....
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #165
Mordi

I found a neat trick I haven't seen anywhere yesterday.

- If you want to arm several tracks at once, you can click and hold the arm-button and then drag over the tracks you'd like to arm.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #166
spaceanimals

Default limiting tip

There is a wonderful plugin--js schwa audio_statistics.

Do your mixdown. Make sure the volume is-3 or less. Add whatever eq you use. Add audio_statistic. Look at where it displays peak RMS. Add 16 to the peak RMS. For example, if your peak RMS is -20, -20 + 16=-4. Set your limiter threshold to -4. Nice limiting. Not too squashed. Limiting can range from mellow, -16 rms, to modern (to my ears harsh) -12 rms. I usually keep things at around -15 rms.

Jimmy
spaceanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #167
filtersweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotio View Post
A little tip more for peoples new to mixing and recording in general.

If you're not quiet sure how loud your song is, click on the little speaker and have a look at where the little sound bar is and how it's behaving.:P
what little speaker?
filtersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #168
attila_r

A small but useful thing - just discovered now that ctrl+dragging inside a track's lane automatically creates a new MIDI item of the desired length...
Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 AM   #169
trevlyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila_r View Post
A small but useful thing - just discovered now that ctrl+dragging inside a track's lane automatically creates a new MIDI item of the desired length...
I use this for audio takes too.

Create a time selection with a count in and include the drawn item. Turn on looping, then select the item and set record mode to 'autopunch selected item'. It'll loop record takes to the selected item with a count in each time.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #170
pathworker

Default pipeline audio vids

Anyone who has recently stepped into the forum be advised that at time of this post the pipelineaudio vodeos are offline. and have been for quite some time. the video series by kenny Gioia(sorry if I Misspelt that kenny) ae a good and comprehensive alternative. go watch em( and download them for offline vieweing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I think someone should sticky this and then people can reply with all of the tricks and tips they have with reaper. Threads like this are usually VERY useful to beginners and intermediates alike!

I know you people out there have some, so post it up!

Make the post Title the tip, as it will appear above your post and be in bold automatically, it will appear more organized that way.

An [/IMG ] or a text list of a shortcut list would be fab

any videos, flash presentations, screenshots, whatever - - would be VERY nice, as visualisation is important for these type of things....

for one basic idea, i would suggest everyone visit

http://www.reaper.fm/features.php

to see just WHAT reaper can do... i know it has inspired me to try new things!

one place to start would be pipeline audios simply wonderful video tutorials you can find here

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPERVideos/basics/

pathworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #171
dupres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
please recommend an efficient reverb or three. thanks.
dupres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #172
Reno.thestraws

Default Link parameter of plug-ins through different tracks

Need reaper 5.11

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gh%20track.gif
Old 02-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #173
aeb2016

Default distortion

I'm finding it most difficult to search these fora. Probably I'm using the wrong keywords. I'm not a professional recording engineer. A lot of this stuff is baffling to me.

I was previously recording my voice with Garage Band and Audacity. I was having a lot of problems with clipping. These problems were of two sorts. The first was dynamic range. The second was high frequency clipping, which is particularly important to me as a soprano.

So I got what I think is a fairly decent mic (Audio-technica at2020) and recently downloaded Reaper on an evaluation basis.

I found that the recording is very nice when I am speaking, but when I sing there is still a lot of clipping/distortion. I thought the whole purpose of professional quality recording software was that I wouldn't have these limitations, that I could sing as loud or as high as I wanted, right into the mic, and I wouldn't get distortion.

I suppose there must be something I should adjust to fix this problem, but I don't know what. I tried searching both the documentation and this forum and did not find anything I could understand. I found something about bit depth, but no clue as to how to adjust it.

Last edited by aeb2016; 02-16-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: grammar
aeb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #174
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeb2016 View Post
I thought the whole purpose of professional quality recording software was that I wouldn't have these limitations, that I could sing as loud or as high as I wanted, right into the mic, and I wouldn't get distortion..
Here is where your thinking has overshadowed reality.

Back off the mic.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #175
alanofoz

Quote:
...I thought the whole purpose of professional quality recording software was that I wouldn't have these limitations, that I could sing as loud or as high as I wanted, right into the mic, and I wouldn't get distortion...
Not that simple. You need to set levels before the signal reaches the computer. If not the signal will already have clipped before it reaches Reaper/Garage Band/Audacity.

So:-

1. What dea-man said

and/or

2. Your sound interface should have a gain/level control - turn it down, probably quite a lot.

Having done that then you should be able to sing as loud & high as you like.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #176
lachrimae

Quote:
when I sing there is still a lot of clipping/distortion
Looks like alanofoz beat me to it since I'm too wordy, but here ya go anyway:

Welcome to Reaperland!

Two things to look out for:

1) When the track you're recording to in Reaper is Record Armed (record button on the track is red), the level meter displays the signal from your microphone.
Make sure that the level from your microphone is not clipping. In fact, it would be best to set your microphone input level to where your microphone track in Reaper peaks at -12dB or less.
Note that you don't adjust your incoming microphone level using the fader in Reaper. You have to adjust it on your audio interface (there should be a knob where your microphone plugs in. Lower that knob down until the absolute maximum level on your microphone track in Reaper peaks at -12dB (this is to play it safe to make sure you don't accidentally clip which causes distortion).

2) Make sure that the maximum volume level on Reaper's Master Track fader isn't coming anywhere near 0dB. If it looks too hot, lower the level on the fader of your microphone track.

Distortion comes from clipping on the way into your computer, or on the way out...

Input signal flow:
Microphone -> Interface -> Computer -> Reaper Microphone Track with record button enabled (signal clipping? Lower the level on the interface)
Once you've recorded something, the rest of the signal flow is:
Audio Item on your microphone track -> Fader on microphone track -> Master Track (signal clipping? Lower the level on your microphone track) -> Computer -> Interface -> Monitor Speakers.
This is a very simplified view but will hopefully help you to narrow down on the most likely cause.

I also forgot to mention that once you disable the record button on your microphone track the level meter shows the level from the recorded Audio Item that's on the track and no longer shows the input level from your microphone.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by lachrimae; 02-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #177
JOE SA SA

Default Templates Batteries in new proyects

2da parte:

https://youtu.be/28GoglQne0o

3ra parte:

https://youtu.be/SLf8oll5O4M

4ta parte:

https://youtu.be/G_KmIb3_Qx0

5ta parte:

https://youtu.be/ULKrbrzERRg

6ta y última parte:

https://youtu.be/r4JXetE77GA

SALUDOS AL MUNDO.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #178
JOE SA SA

Default Templates Batteries in new proyects

First part and...untill part 6

Para aquellos que gustan de iniciar con la sección de percusiones en sus nuevos proyectos y desean tener las percusiones que mas suelen usar en sus temas listos en cada nuevo proyecto, aquí veremos como tener eso listo para empezar a crear la sección de batería en el inicio. Consta de 6 partes el tutorial. Como siempre, el trabajo es al inicio y una sola vez.

https://youtu.be/ZykFp_2qA3g
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #179
filipe1983

Default Guitar Tip With Amplitube 3

Wow! I just discovered this in Amplitube. I've seen a video tutorial about this once, but never had tested. Now i did, and it is amazing! Thought i'd share with you guys.

1) Set mic blend to 0.50. 2) Select two different mics, one dynamic, one condenser. 3) Position the first in the center of the speaker cone and play around with the second until the sound sounds horrible. 4) Invert the phase of the second mic and voilá! You got a HUGE GOOD sound!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guitar Tip Amplitube 3.jpg (62.8 KB, 725 views)
filipe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #180
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default quick (win) shortcuts + 'conventions' q - alt's vs ctrl's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwmusic View Post
Lean things like
"Ctrl+P" - for prefrences
"Ctrl+N" - for new project
"Ctrl+O" - to open an existing project
(and especially)
"Ctrl+Z" - to undo

Type F1 To check out the rest of the shortcuts, or go here:
http://www.documentwrite.com/reaper/index.html
and on the left, in the contents section click keyboard shortcuts on the bottom!

< Just somthing that speeded me up ounce i finally learned some of them. >
Struggling with all these options! So many quick-commands, I could re-wallpaper my room with sticky notes

With the awesome ReaMenus (I had to install it, for sanity) I don't know if (m)any of the default shortcuts have been re-assigned, to adhere to a pattern.

I don't know if there's been much talk of 'memorable alternative combo's, ie community consensus/suggestions...'

But I see awesome contributions on lua (I think?) coding etiquette (I bookmarked ffr, when I'm 'there')...

It depends so much, of course, on the user - many are migrating from years in other DAW's, and use mimic-mode, to use 'them PRO /FL/ACID familiar-combos...

My memory is impaired.

Has this been discussed/done?

(ie ALT vs CTRL for toggle/show|hide windows... )
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #181
Ahmonster

Default noob question

To change the theme what file do you put the theme's in? some show up and others do not..

Thanks so much
Ahmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #182
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmonster View Post
To change the theme what file do you put the theme's in? some show up and others do not..

Thanks so much
simply download and drag the themezip file into reaper to install and activate.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:55 AM   #183
SmajjL

You can just tap your pad first, and then double-click note start on ReaSamplomatic and so on.
---
In pref/plug-ins you can check, allow only one FX chain window open at a time.
And check the other two, open track FX window on track selection change and only if any FX window is open.
Then add actions Track: select track 01..etc and add pads.
Then open an FX with the FX (mcp_fx_norm.png) and when pushing pads now, you get your 'ableton' thing.

Don't forget folders and that you can click even on the mcp's folder markers if the themer have been nice.
Right mouse on Mixer, tick clickable icon for folder to show/hide children.
---
Anyone left that don't know about the ripple move stretch markers, go get it, you'll need it.

Scripts: You can convert stretch markers to midi and back, so, and with midi note selector w every 1.note 2.note 3.note etc so you can erase and thereby convert back so you get less stretch markers after using Reapers dynamic split with high detect on purpose.

You can duplicate your item and group, and add eq or compressor or what ever on the top one just to get the peaks move obvious for Reaper or your eyes.
Apply track/take FX as a new take.

Reagate or route to midi drum trigger with a synth to get auto tap is another story.
---
You can add chocolate in your chilli.
Ps, was only gonna type the fist tip, now look... :P

Oh, and Shift + < > moves the loop selection in a practical way if you tweak stretch markers on-the-fly while playing.
(Loop points linked to time selection must be on)

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-23-2016 at 04:59 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #184
Reaperto

On Mixer:

Alt + click and drag on a Send: "Move Track Send" (cut original Send and paste to new Track)

Shift + click on Send's rotary knob: adjust Send Pan (optionally Mousewheel)

Last edited by Reaperto; 06-21-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: video link
Reaperto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #185
bilsner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
^ You're half right.... yet quite wrong....
So far, so good....
Um... no, they don't. They really don't.

REAPER's mp3 rendering with LAME is superb, but mp3 is not a lossless format, and it is not a good format to use where audio quality is important.

The tip works if the parts with the troublesome plugins are rendered to wav. This can be done within a project by right clicking on the track and choosing Render/freeze tracks > Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals).

You can delete the originals if you want to, but there's really no need to. The plugins won't use any CPU once they're disabled.

Mp3 is a good format to use in side projects where audio quality doesn't matter. For example, you might render an entire project to mp3 so as to save resources while you record a solo for it... and the thing to do then would be to throw the mp3 away, and move the solo to the original project, but in wav format, not mp3.
They still use ram unless you delete them IIRC. I duplicate said track, and freeze both. Stick one in a folder called DUMP and use the other cut up / reprocess or whatever and I can still go back and get the original if I need it... frozen tracks use no cpu or ram.
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:05 AM   #186
SmajjL

Ah-hahah!! I did not know I could click the IO in the ME and get he option to play through selected tracks... mua-hehehe, fantastic! sorry i'm late.
Continues into the sunset..: Ah-haheheh

Last edited by SmajjL; 01-23-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #187
eveninghost

Hi to everyone! Maybe somebody can help me? How can i do something like "events to part" (Cubase function) with items in arrange area in Reaper? http://www.muzoborudovanie.ru/equip/...x2/pict/41.jpg
eveninghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #188
3mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila_r View Post
And if you select a MIDI-item, the ctrl+dragging will create a copy of the selected item!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #189
Mr. PC

Good tip for sample composers,

Set Reaper to start up with the "prompt" and when starting a new song from a template, tick "startup effects offline".

Your template will load instantly and you can choose which tracks to put online as you go.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 AM   #190
urednik

Any tricks on how to force the video processor to take effect on the parent video track only?

If I resize video in one track it resizes the track below as well. But I want to keep the one below original.
There seems not to be an option to switch order, because I have to use the Chroma key as well.

Jon, anyone?
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #191
EpicSounds

put the effect on the item instead of track

You can also mess with the code, look for gfx_blit(0); and change the number. most of my presets use 0.

In project settings/Video there is an option for the order of video layers

I do "items in lower numbered tracks replace higher", meaning a video in track 1 will be seen instead of a video in track 2
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #192
SmajjL

Leftmouse drag on/from FX to another MCP copies, +Alt moves the FX.
All of 'em btw.

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-15-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #193
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Just a quick tip...

Préférences -> mouse modifiers -> arrange view -> middle click -> defalut action -> set the action: Options : toggle snapping

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #194
JakeGlutch

Default Midi Triggering a VSTi with a Kick/other track

Midi Triggering a VSTi with a Kick/other track

Sample replacement made extra-easy, especially when using something like Superior Drummer 2.0 in tandem with a real drum recording.

https://jakeduffieaudio.com/articles...r-miditrigger/
JakeGlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #195
I'm hearing things

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlyns View Post
I use this for audio takes too.

Create a time selection with a count in and include the drawn item. Turn on looping, then select the item and set record mode to 'autopunch selected item'. It'll loop record takes to the selected item with a count in each time.
This is exactly what I needed. I did not know about this functionality
I'm hearing things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #196
strachupl

Auto take switch for checking takes. Could be usefull when we record many oneshot percs to check what we got.

• build custom action to switch to next take and toggle transport play.
  • assign custom action to marker.
  • place marker near the end of item but IMPORTANT to left some portion of item after marker like on gif
  • place edit cursor at start of item or quite before
  • select item and play
  • you can experiment with marker and cursor position
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #197
Spurk

Not really a 100% Reaper tips but could be usefull for those using VCV Rack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhZqhvAGdg8
Spurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 PM   #198
plack44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathworker View Post
Anyone who has recently stepped into the forum be advised that at time of this post the pipelineaudio vodeos are offline. and have been for quite some time. the video series by kenny Gioia(sorry if I Misspelt that kenny) ae a good and comprehensive alternative. go watch em( and download them for offline vieweing).
I saw that 11 of the the Pipeline audio videos are online on You Tube as of today!

https://youtu.be/4lF_H6xHjRY?list=PLA9A8AEBE53EA52EE
plack44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #199
vanhaze

Hi !

- Open Reaper Preferences
- Fill in "wheel" in the Find field, lower left bottom of Preferences Window
- You see a setting "ignore mousewheel on all faders"

I assume this setting is unticked in your case, you have to tick it (enable it).

Warm Regards.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #200
plack44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hi !

- Open Reaper Preferences
- Fill in "wheel" in the Find field, lower left bottom of Preferences Window
- You see a setting "ignore mousewheel on all faders"

I assume this setting is unticked in your case, you have to tick it (enable it).

Warm Regards.
Thank you I deleted this and found the answer probably very near when you posted.
Again.

Thank You.
plack44 is offline   Reply With Quote