Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 AM   #41
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

evil dragon, on the monitor subject, your massive screenshot on the previous page caused the thread to get all widened and difficult to read for everyone using smaller screens ;/ you must be working for Dell's 24 inch monitor division. this is a good opportunity for a forum FR to automatically resize pictures to prevent this issue, i've seen it elsewhere. clicking on the pic would fullsize it.

musicbynumbers, see my earlier post on the same subject. use MPL's script to create an AI for now. it'll create it in the media lane. it's not seeming to work for volume faders, etc though, only FX params.

Quote:
Maybe if you have the time selection set as well then using "last touched parameter" option could auto create an automation item within the time selection on the media lane. That would be a nice mid ground option for me.
agreed, i don't see myself using dedicated envelope lanes much after playing with AIs in media lanes a lot last night. it's just too good. a basic example is an inconspicuous fade in AI at the end of the track and a small fade out AI at the end of the track. no more accidentally clicking on dead, unused envelope space in the middle when editing items, and no more having to disable envelope visibility to avoid said problem
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:36 AM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
it's weird that inbetween the AIs there's no set value. Any number of weird things can cause different results every time you hit play.
We can add support for chasing the last automation item when moving the edit cursor, but if there is no automation item at the start of the project, there is no defined parameter value there, so things are non-deterministic again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I tried to tweak a parameter in a plugin and use the "show last parameter" option to get the envelope to show but because my default preference is the new envelopes get place with the media items and not on a new lane, I couldn't see the envelope at all with this new option..

Maybe we could always ensure there is a small automation item at timeline position zero? That would address both of these issues.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #43
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
We can add support for chasing the last automation item when moving the edit cursor, but if there is no automation item at the start of the project, there is no defined parameter value there, so things are non-deterministic again.
edited wording for clarification

chase last point in last AI when moving edit cursor after/in between AIs is good.
chase next point in next AI if there is no automation item before edit cursor is my recommendation for the 2nd issue.

Quote:
Maybe we could always ensure there is a small automation item at timeline position zero? That would address both of these issues.
it would, but surely making a "create AI for last touched param at edit cursor/time selection" action (that obeys TCP vol/pan controls etc unlike MPL's script would result in less mousing to the beginning of the project to ctrl-drag an AI elsewhere in the project.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:48 AM   #44
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
this is a good opportunity for a forum FR to automatically resize pictures to prevent this issue, i've seen it elsewhere. clicking on the pic would fullsize it.
I agree with this motion!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 AM   #45
mccrabney

^ hahaha

here's a nitpick. actions like "remove item" and "select item under mouse cursor" don't work on AIs. continuity would suggest that these items would be treated the same as normal items by these actions.

maybe there's a good reason for this, but it surprised me when the custom action i've used for years "select and delete item under mouse cursor" didn't apply to AIs.

edit: combinations of existing actions don't seem to allow a workaround. the "Remove items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus)" would do the trick but fails me since there is no "select items/tracks/envelope points under mouse cursor" action.

edit 2: same with "Split item" etc. is there a reason why these types of actions don't behave the same way with AIs as they do with items? especially when stuff like ctrl drag, alt-edge drag, alt-contents drag, and many other things work the same way with regular items as they do with AIs.

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-22-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #46
Jack Winter

Quote:
this is a good opportunity for a forum FR to automatically resize pictures to prevent this issue, i've seen it elsewhere. clicking on the pic would fullsize it.
I use a plugin called nosquint plus, as this issue has annoyed me for many years It can also zoom the text automatically making it easier to read for old eyes without glasses.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #47
BlackScreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v5.60pre3a - September 21 2017
# Web Interface: allow using /fancier rather than /fancier.html etc
# Web Interface: more_me bugfix/typofix
Thank you. This build fixes the problems I had!
Also nice one with the shortened URLs. Thanks!
BlackScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #48
Stroudy

Envelope: Disable envelope outside of automation items

This is a toggle state action, but there's no on/off in the action list and perhaps the action name should reflect its toggle capability ie. Enable/Disable envelope outside of automation items?

Errr... that said... this function alongside the automation items are an absolute game changer.

Last edited by Stroudy; 09-22-2017 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to say how awesome this update is
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #49
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
Envelope: Disable envelope outside of automation items

This is a toggle state action, but there's no on/off in the action list and perhaps the action name should reflect its toggle capability ie. Enable/Disable envelope outside of automation items?
This is because that action is per-envelope, not global.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #50
mccrabney

when operating in the media lane, if you add an AI for one parameter, and then add an AI for another parameter, and then delete one of those two AIs, there still exists an invisible lane in the media lane for the deleted AI. the first AI remains shrunk to half of the available media lane.

in my opinion, the desired behavior would be that -- if outside envelope is disabled -- the "in-media-lane envelope lane" would be removed if the last AI was deleted from that track, and the remaining AI lane would expand to fill the media lane.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #51
EvilDragon

Yes, agreed with above (despite me not using media lanes, I tried that out this morning and was also weirded out by the lane spaces remaining even after removing all AIs from the lane...)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #52
Edgemeal

Awesome stuff schwa!

When sizing or moving media items, you know how you get those light blue vertical indicator lines on both ends to help guide you, IOW if AIs should have those guide lines too? What you guys think?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #53
Ozman

ReaTune's update is definitely a welcomed change. It would be a dream come true if ReaTune at some point finds its home in the media editor itself. It would be a beautiful synergy of midi and monophonic audio.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #54
mehmethan

"More_me"

When I move a fader fast on "more_me" fader is jumping back and forth them comes to the place where it has to be. Is this normal behaviour ?

(When I move slowly everthing is ok)
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #55
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

AI Chase! Yeah Schwa I think this is the way to do it. I'm the one that was pushing for an expandable "AI Only" lane for envelopes, but I think this is a great compromise, maybe even better.

I was really against combining Envelopes and AI on the same lane because you then have to deal with edgepoints surrounding the AI which gets complex and messy way too easily, especially once you start copy/pasting items with Edgepoints Follow Items option. Multiple points clobbering each other, affecting curves attached to previous points, it's insanity.

AI Only mode With Chase achieves what I was pushing for very elegantly...easy to look at automation and no edgepoint madness. AI + Proper area selection will be the final nail in the coffin of every other DAW.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #56
Luster

Quote:
v5.60pre3 - September 21 2017
+ Peaks: option in peaks display settings to sqrt-scale peaks
Any chance we get a rectified waveform display also? That would be awesome!

It was discussed here before: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=165260

With best regards.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #57
Bri1
Banned

Grumbles++ excuse the posting.
I see little point in keep +adding+ to what does not work.
When 1 thing works in 99% situations,only then add another feature/function-baby steps can + will make record breaking runners.
Spectral phailz v5.6p3a >

I can olny add-to have appeared on this forum many times recently probably to the point of annoyance to some,so there will be little more to be shown-i have a lot of free time to surf online here because programmes like reaper {when they work well} helps me to get a lot of jobs done in 1 day.This is great.
I really want this programme and all it's users,to be breaking records,not just making them,that includes the developers of course as at least 1 makes music (which i find pleasing in it's own way) =)

Now i know for sure there are many wise users @ this forum,who also wish programme great 'success',but in all honesty, think where a lot of beta/alpha testings goes pearshaped-- is there is no actual new feature documentations!
How can people be 'expected' to be able to find faults if they do not even know what they have to work with to begin.. make sense? i hope so.

Take care.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #58
Ivannn Bennnettt

+ Envelopes: Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items
+ Automation items: support muting individual automation items
+ Envelopes: Add option to always create new automation item when writing automation

Finally!

Thank you very much!

Now it looks almost like proper AI
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #59
mpl

Re: envelope/AI

This is almost perfect for me! Thanks!
Few things:
1) hide any horizontal lines (so keep project visually cleaner, especially at low vertical zoom levels) or leave it only at high vertical zoom level
2) Disable envelope outside of automation items mode: latch actual_playing envelope value as last visible value at right edge of last AI before play/edit cursor
2a) Disable envelope outside of automation items mode: determine value from start of project to first AI as value coming at left edge of first AI if any, otherwise keep it non-deterministic
3) Disable envelope outside of automation items version that turns this on for every envelope in the project, also keep this behaviour global (for newly created projects)
4) (PLEASE!) ability to remove AI (and hopefully also regular media items) via right drag with suppressing context menu

Last edited by mpl; 09-23-2017 at 05:35 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #60
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal;1888676
[B
+ Automation items:[/B] support muting individual automation items
+ Envelopes: Add option to always create new automation item when writing automation
+ Envelopes: Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items
Fantastic !

With a few shortcuts and mouse modifiers, it is already almost perfect for me :-)

Requests :
- is there a way to group automation items like regular items ?
- is there already, or could there be an option to make the names of the items based on their relative parameter instead of a number ?

Bug : I have assigned a shortcut to open the rename dialog box.
If I choose a name that is already used by another item it is ignored and remains the default number (a new name is validated).
If I set it via the full properties box it is well validated.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #61
heda

Quote:
Interesting. It also helps to see visually if signal is clean in very silent parts, or if there is noise there yet.

Spectrogram + peaks: please add also Spectrogram + Spectral peaks if possible. Thanks!!!!

one question with spectrogram mode: fade in and fade outs are mixed-colored with item's color. Wouldn't it be better if the fades are represented by changing the spectrogram itself, without item's color, like when changing item's gain that affects spectrogram display or when you add a spectral edit and change edit's gain?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #62
Robert Johnson III

Really hard to fathom that all this energy is being “wasted” on nerdy nitty gritty stuff and new features while core functions are still broken like forever. I call not functioning tempo map editing a broken core function (among other things). Every mention of this (a nice list here [A Bestiary of MIDI Bugs for v5.50 - Cockos Incorporated Forums](https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181729)) falls on deaf ears… Reaper is a DAW where they “forgot” to implement insert beats for christ sake (you can only do time) I moved on and I’m waiting this out, so no problems here… Just bewildered at the direction the dev’s are taking this potentially great program.

Have a nice day.

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 09-23-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #63
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
all this energy is being “wasted” on nerdy nitty gritty stuff
Ah. I gather you're not interested in automation items . On my part, thank you heaps and bounds to the developers for making these items happen and being so dedicated in polishing them. It's a thing of beauty now, they are starting to be extremely useful and robust.

Quote:
I moved on and I’m waiting this out, so no problems here…
Everything's all right, then . You made a nice decision for yourself imo.

I did the same with Studio One: realized that its development isn't focused on the stuff I personally find important, and decided to wait it out. Came to Reaper and it's been a blast. Working faster, more effortlessly and more reliably for me.

If you find your main application can't really be aligned with your own workflow and needs, that it doesn't let you do what you know you often need to do, after a while the most sensible thing is to find one that does. If anyone drags it out for years and years and moans about the software being a pain for them, acts rude and entitled and repeatedly implies their needs are the objective measure of a product, it's just not sensible. As in, it's a waste of time, and negatively effects the whole mindset of such a person, every day.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 AM   #64
EvilDragon

Quote:
Really hard to phantom
You meant fathom.

I'm bewildered that S1 doesn't have sysex recording and editing and 14-bit CC support in MIDI editor (AFAIK), so WTF are their devs doing? Priorities, priorities. Every table can be turned.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #65
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You meant fathom.

I'm bewildered that S1 doesn't have sysex recording and editing and 14-bit CC support in MIDI editor (AFAIK), so WTF are their devs doing? Priorities, priorities. Every table can be turned.
Yep! fathom

Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #66
juliansader

Quote:
evil dragon, on the monitor subject, your massive screenshot on the previous page caused the thread to get all widened and difficult to read for everyone using smaller screens ;/ you must be working for Dell's 24 inch monitor division. this is a good opportunity for a forum FR to automatically resize pictures to prevent this issue, i've seen it elsewhere. clicking on the pic would fullsize it.
If you set the forum's theme to REAPER 5, large pictures should be automatically resized.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #67
Bri1
Banned

Non 5.6p3a -(5.4 issue) >but this may still exist @ some zoom levels..?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #68
Robert Johnson III

@Lunar Ladder No idea why you are jumping on the personal prefs. and workflow bandwagon... My post is not about that. It is about bugs and missing features that prevent a DAW from functioning as it should. Not minor bugs but major bugs at the core of REAPER, not subjective to workarounds or workflow. You can not edit a tempo map or insert beats in RAEPER, that is just plain silly. (I'm on Logic X btw)

Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #69
EpicSounds

Quote:
Really hard to fathom that all this energy is being “wasted” on nerdy nitty gritty stuff and new features while core functions are still broken like forever.
You could help test the new features so devs could move more quickly to other tasks. Just sayin'
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #70
Robert Johnson III

Tempo map has been broken like forever (at least 4 years and counting) Insert beats was never there. Just saying....

Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #71
juliansader

Quote:
Tempo map has been broken like forever (at least 4 years and counting) Insert beats was never there. Just saying....
REAPER devs when they think of old piano roll / tempo stuff vs shiny new features:

Last edited by juliansader; 09-23-2017 at 12:39 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #72
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
@Lunar Ladder No idea why you are jumping on the personal prefs. and workflow bandwagon... My post is not about that.
At its core, it's exactly about that.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #73
Bri1
Banned

Ey up-Ok last delivery-nothing heartbreaking-but still mind warp..

When hunting for gremlins,suggest try looking under the heavier rocks and along the edges-this is where they sometimes lurk.
Look at the bigger picture of things-then zoom to details that make the picture whole.
Done with all this now,getting back to music for a few months.
GLHF!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:22 AM   #74
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
v5.60pre3a - September 21 2017

OK, so I might be a little slow on testing these Pre's but THIS is BRILLIANT! Makes editing quiet audio SO much easier.