Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
parametric
Human being with feelings

Default Trying to record the Midi output of the "Animator" in Session Strings Pro

I'm on Windows10 x64 Pro/Reaper 5.965 x64

Basically, the Animator in SSP works by reading the BLOCK CHORDS drawn or played in the Midi Item on the track - These are the "triggers" for the Animator, and the Animator "Arpeggiates" them as the output of the track . .

I am wanting to record these generated Arppegios, so I can edit/arrange them in more detail in the Piano Roll.

I've tried various solutions to this both from these Forums and elsewhere, but they don't seem to work absolutely.

The track in question has four midi items along it's length . . . .

When I start the recording, all seems to be well. Data is recorded - but when the end of the item is reached (i.e. the "triggers" STOP) - Data is still recorded and being written . . . . .

I click STOP and save the file.

Examining the Piano Roll of the result shows a mess of many notes joined together - rather than the Arpeggio I would expect . . . .

Someone in another forum suggested that SSP is NOT issuing a Note-Off when the trigger events finish . . . . ?

recorded Animator output2.jpg

This shows the Animator output triggered by track 7 recorded in track 11

The Cursor shows where the triggering has STOPPED - but further output is recorded in track 11

Piano Roll of recorded output2.jpg

This is the Piano-Roll of the Arpeggiated output in Track 11 . . . . .

Surely, this is do-able?

(BTW - This is my first attempt to use SSP - so I'm a beginner)

ANY suggestions gratefully received . . . .

parametric

Last edited by parametric; 01-22-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added WIn/Reaper vesions and removed whitespace
parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
parametric

Default Trying to record the Midi output of the "Animator" in Session Strings Pro

Looking further at this problem, I'm beginning to feel that this is NOT solvable.

The LENGTH of the midi notes required to trigger the arpeggiator need to be LONG enough to PLAY the whole PATTERN.

If you shorten the notes, the arpeggiator shortens the pattern pro-rata . . .

SO, the midi I'm trying to record OUT of the track is actually still the midi input . .

(which explains what I am seeing in the recorded result in the Piano Roll)

. . . long notes.

From this I conclude it is in fact NOT possible to record the arpeggios in

detail . . . because they are not present as midi in SSP . . . ?

What you hear are samples of the complete arpeggio being played . . .

The midi input that triggers it merely selects which pitch to choose, and

select THAT sample of THAT Arpeggio - to play back . . . ?

So, the only way I can do what I want, is to listen to the arps and type

them in note by note in the Piano Roll . . . VERY laborious . . .

OR, Try and Play them in - LIVE . . . .

Oh Well . . .

parametric

Last edited by parametric; 02-10-2019 at 07:24 PM.
parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:17 AM   #3
sinepuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by parametric View Post
Looking further at this problem, I'm beginning to feel that this is NOT solvable.
It actually is solvable. In Kontakt's options menu (cogwheel) you have to enable "Script generated notes" in the "Send MIDI to outside world" item under the Engine tab. Then you need to set Reaper's track recording mode to "Record: output"->"Record: output (MIDI)" and just record when ready. Your keyboard notes won't get recorded, but will be passed to Kontakt to trigger the arpeggiator, which MIDI output will be recorded on the track as notes. In the case of Session Strings though it won't make a lot of sense because script-generated notes are messy, lack note-offs, and get stuck all the time, but you might use this trick for something else. Sorry for bumping the old thread, but I feel like it could be useful.
sinepuller is offline   Reply With Quote