Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #41
stevewisnoski
Human being with feelings

Yep, on this midi file as I was saying, I wasn't given the opportunity to "rename" the last 2 channels in the track manager. The tracks were in the TCP, but weren't listed in the track manager. Why this time was different ?, I do not know. Then remembered a workaround, I used before but forgot. So, I'm happy, I was able to use many of the various techniques I learned in here. Good luck !
stevewisnoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #42
stevewisnoski

Default Another midi track problem using more than 16 tracks in reaper

Hello folks, as the photo below shows, I was able to drop a midi file onto the tcp, and got 2 instances of the aria player to work. This piece, has 19 tracks, and I loaded the first aria player with 16 instrumnets. Then loaded the second player with 3 instruments. The problem I am having now is, when I drag a midi file to the tcp, the track manager will only show 16 instruments, unlike the 19 shown in the image. Something must have happened, because the tcp won't show more than 16 tracks, any ideas ?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #43
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewisnoski View Post
Hello folks, as the photo below shows, I was able to drop a midi file onto the tcp, and got 2 instances of the aria player to work. This piece, has 19 tracks, and I loaded the first aria player with 16 instrumnets. Then loaded the second player with 3 instruments. The problem I am having now is, when I drag a midi file to the tcp, the track manager will only show 16 instruments, unlike the 19 shown in the image. Something must have happened, because the tcp won't show more than 16 tracks, any ideas ?
Hi Steve, I don't think I've ever loaded a Midi file with that many instruments so I'm not sure.

However, I think the 16 tracks situation is probably due to the fact there are only 16 midi channels.

How did you figure out the other 3 tracks/channels?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #44
stevewisnoski

Hi Tod, I would name the tracks in the track manager, as many as I liked. Then, load up the first aria player with 16 tracks. When I dragged the midi file to the tcp after all was ready, all midi files show on the tcp, but I can't get them to show as named tracks in the track manager anymore. I can add extra channels ticking the MCP boxes in the track manager, but cannot replicate what shows in the above image. I'm Working on one that has 21 tracks, and can't get it to work like it did. I tick them to show on the mcp, then add an aria player to each of the tracks past 16.
I have screenshots of the 2 successful 2 instance aria player projects, but now, it acts differently. I Was hoping there was a setting I could choose so the track manager would name all tracks, then I could use 2 aria players like I managed twice.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #45
stevewisnoski

Post #31 and 36 is where I brought the problem up, why the track manager would accommodate more than 16 channels one day, and wouldn't the next is mystifying. I will look at this again.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #46
stevewisnoski

Tod, you said this in another thread

"Default
Hi tayloran9,

many if not Most VSTis will only have 16 instruments per instance, some even only one. Reaper will send as many midi channels as you need, it's not limited. Only each VSTi will be limited. For example Kontakt will allow 16 instruments for each instance as a VSTi. However, you can have 2 or 3 or more instances of Kontakt if your CPU and RAM can handle it. Two instances would equal 32 midi channels.

The only limiting factor is your computer."

Not understanding.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
Tod

Quote:
Hi Tod, I would name the tracks in the track manager, as many as I liked. Then, load up the first aria player with 16 tracks. When I dragged the midi file to the tcp after all was ready, all midi files show on the tcp, but I can't get them to show as named tracks in the track manager anymore.
Hi Steve, I'm a little confused about your procedure here. Is this what you're doing.

Step-1> I would name the tracks in the track manager, as many as I liked.

Why are you creating tracks and naming them in the track manager first?

What are these tracks to be used for, are you dragging the MIDI file to one of them?

Step-2> Then, load up the first aria player with 16 tracks.

Step-3> When I dragged the midi file to the tcp after all was ready, all midi files show on the tcp,

Step-4> but I can't get them to show as named tracks in the track manager anymore.

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what your procedure is here. If a midi file was saved with track names or item names, then the names should all show up. If a midi file isn't saved with titles, then there will be no names. At least that's how I understand it.

I just did a test with 24 MIDI tracks and they all loaded perfectly, names and all.

Quote:
I can add extra channels ticking the MCP boxes in the track manager, but cannot replicate what shows in the above image. I'm Working on one that has 21 tracks, and can't get it to work like it did. I tick them to show on the mcp, then add an aria player to each of the tracks past 16.
I have screenshots of the 2 successful 2 instance aria player projects, but now, it acts differently. I Was hoping there was a setting I could choose so the track manager would name all tracks, then I could use 2 aria players like I managed twice.
The way I do this is load the midi file, then add the VSTi(s) I'll need, then assign the midi tracks to the VSTi(s).

If the midi file does not have names, I'll just name them myself depending on what they are.

Incidentally, after looking over the picture of your matrix, something doesn't look right. Normally midi tracks will just show a number which is the midi channel it is assigned to. If it's assigned to "All" then it will show up as a "M" instead of a number. So it looks like your routing may not be quite right.

If you want, post your midi file and I'll check it out.

Quote:
Tod, you said this in another thread

"Default
Hi tayloran9,

many if not Most VSTis will only have 16 instruments per instance, some even only one. Reaper will send as many midi channels as you need, it's not limited. Only each VSTi will be limited. For example Kontakt will allow 16 instruments for each instance as a VSTi. However, you can have 2 or 3 or more instances of Kontakt if your CPU and RAM can handle it. Two instances would equal 32 midi channels.

The only limiting factor is your computer."

Not understanding.
All I'm suggesting here is that you can add/create as many midi sends as you need. If you have 4 VSTi(s) fully loaded with 16 instruments then you can send 4 sets of 16 midi channels, 64 in all. If you had a computer powerful enough to handle it you could have 32 VSTis for a total of 512 channels.

Does that help?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #48
stevewisnoski

Thank you for your response, Tod. You'll notice in the matrix posted above, there are 19 tracks on the master parent. I was able to use 2 instances of the aria player, 16 on one, 3 on the second. I am using the method given here. I need to think this over, as I am lost again. Here's a .gif, the difference is he's using 1 aria player, where I'm using 2.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23573/Aria%20Tut%20Working.gif
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #49
stevewisnoski

As my mind has been on other issues today, I can't even explain what happened. I will need to repost when I can get my mind centered on this again. Using that method, I can load 1 instance, then I have to use a single instance for each instrument after 16. I will repost later, thank you. Here is the latest one, that uses 21 midi tracks. I am able to work around and render a file, it has been difficult to nail the right set of moves to just load the 2 players. I worked all day yesterday trying to make this file with 2 players
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski/sunday-morning
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #50
Tod

Quote:
Thank you for your response, Tod. You'll notice in the matrix posted above, there are 19 tracks on the master parent. I was able to use 2 instances of the aria player, 16 on one, 3 on the second. I am using the method given here. I need to think this over, as I am lost again. Here's a .gif, the difference is he's using 1 aria player, where I'm using 2.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23573/Aria%20Tut%20Working.gif
Hi again Steve, I watched a good part of that gif, however, I do things a lot different.

My setup to do what he's doing is a whole lot simpler.

First of all, all my audio tracks that have audio on them, along with all my midi tracks go in the TCP. All my VSTis along with their audio output tracks go in the MCP.

Think about it:

> Audio tracks and Midi tracks have items that go along the time line.
>VSTis and their outputs don't have items, at least not for me they don't unless I render it down. If I render it down then it goes in the TCP.

The main thing about your picture of your matrix above, it all looks right, however, it don't look like you have the midi tracks assigned to the VSTis as midi tracks.

Have you assigned your midi tracks using the "I/O" button/window to do so on each midi track? The matrix won't help you in this regard, you have to assign each midi track separately. Actually you can double click on the the corresponding squares in the matrix and also assign it but I'm trying to take it one step at a time.

I might add there are ways to speed this up but but I think it helps if you can get a grasp of the basics first.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #51
stevewisnoski

Hi, What would happen if I just threw the midi file in th tcp first ? Is that what you're speaking of, Tod ? Then assign the tracks to 2 separate aria players ? Thanks for the info, I'm going to re read your posts, and think about it. You had mentioned audio, and I have all midi tracks that need to route to a player. I'll be back.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #52
Tod

Quote:
Hi, What would happen if I just threw the midi file in th tcp first ? Is that what you're speaking of, Tod ? Then assign the tracks to 2 separate aria players ? Thanks for the info, I'm going to re read your posts, and think about it. You had mentioned audio, and I have all midi tracks that need to route to a player. I'll be back.
Yeah, that should do it. Once you get all the midi tracks situated you'll have a better idea what you have.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #53
stevewisnoski

Hello: last night on a hunch, I dragged the midi file with 21 tracks to the TCP and created this image. I added a track with the aria player, but cannot seem to get the routing correct. What am I doing wrong ? I have re read all comments on this multiple times. I loaded the first 6 tracks in the player with the correct instruments, but only track 1 plays. The outputs on the 6 instruments are set 1/2, 3/4, ect. Thanks in advance

https://stash.reaper.fm/23583/midi%20...p%20result.png
Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #54
stevewisnoski

Here's the routing matrix, the 1st channel plays (flute) you can see I made an attempt to get the 2nd channel (bass flute) to play.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23584/routing...20mar%2010.png
Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #55
Tod

Quote:
Here's the routing matrix, the 1st channel plays (flute) you can see I made an attempt to get the 2nd channel (bass flute) to play.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23584/routing...20mar%2010.png
Hi Steve, you've got the Master/parent box checked, that should be unchecked for your midi tracks.

I'm assuming tracks 1 through 21 are your midi tracks, right?

Also it looks like your routing for the flute and bass flute aren't right yet.

I'll put some pictures together as soon as I can to give you an idea how it should look.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #56
stevewisnoski

Thanks so much , Tod, yes, there are 21 midi tracks, I simply dragged the midi file in the tcp, and bam, it created everything you see in the image. Routing to the aria player track I created is another can of worms, and I have tried pretty hard. Thanks for hangin.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #57
Tod

Quote:
Thanks so much , Tod, yes, there are 21 midi tracks, I simply dragged the midi file in the tcp, and bam, it created everything you see in the image. Routing to the aria player track I created is another can of worms, and I have tried pretty hard. Thanks for hangin.
Okay, here is a little mockup that should show you what you can do.

This is a picture of my Reaper Project showing the tracks and the I/O routing for Midi track 1.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23585/Reaper%...I-O%29%201.png

This is what the Matrix looks like. Notice all the midi tracks have the midi channel number showing under the Aria player.

After you've imported (dragged in) your midi file, you should then load the Aria player. Then go through the I/O for each midi track and manually Uncheck the Master/parent check box, select the Aria player as a send, and set it up like I show in the first picture. Of course each track will probably go to a different midi channel.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #58
stevewisnoski

Thank you, sir. I need to ponder this in a more lucid state than at present. Your help is invaluable.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #59
stevewisnoski

Hi Tod: After re reading your info, and looking at your matrix. Thinking about sends/receives, ect. I managed to get it working perfectly with 2 instances using this
https://stash.reaper.fm/23600/success...g%203%2011.png
The reason I couldn't get more than 16 channels in the track manager is because there were not 2 aria players present. Step 2 in the .giff file is drag aria multi 32 to the tcp, so I drug 2 aria players there. And that let me name the 21 channels, so when I drug the midi file onto the tcp, everything was there. Could you comment please on the routing matrix ? I did use your suggestion of using the I/O button on each track to send/receive. Anyway, it works.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #60
Tod

Quote:
Hi Tod: After re reading your info, and looking at your matrix. Thinking about sends/receives, ect. I managed to get it working perfectly with 2 instances using this
https://stash.reaper.fm/23600/success...g%203%2011.png
The reason I couldn't get more than 16 channels in the track manager is because there were not 2 aria players present. Step 2 in the .giff file is drag aria multi 32 to the tcp, so I drug 2 aria players there. And that let me name the 21 channels, so when I drug the midi file onto the tcp, everything was there. Could you comment please on the routing matrix ? I did use your suggestion of using the I/O button on each track to send/receive. Anyway, it works.
Hi Steve, it's better, and might be all you need.

However, it still looks like you haven't assigned sends from your midi tracks? What version of Reaper are you using? That might have something to do with it.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #61
stevewisnoski

Tod, the latest version v 4.77/64
16 tracks to aria player, and 5 tracks to aria 2. everything works as it should.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #62
Tod

Quote:
Tod, the latest version v 4.77/64
16 tracks to aria player, and 5 tracks to aria 2. everything works as it should.
Hi Steve, if you've got your midi tracks assigned to the Aria player with specific midi channels then they should show up on your matrix as numbers.

Like they are in this picture that I posted above.

Obviously if your program is working properly then there must be a way I'm unaware of for getting your midi tracks to your VSTis. Unless there's a setting somewhere that turns midi sends to numbers?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #63
hopi

basically proves my long standing contention, that one should FIRST learn to do all manually... and then let reaper do some of automated track creation if you want to...

the reason is that by doing it manually, you really do learn how to set up the sends of midi to the vsti, set the midi in channels on the vsti, and also set the receive audio tracks to get each instrument sound out as a wav file from the vsti....

One certainly does not need to do more than 3-5 tracks manually to get the drift....
Old 03-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #64
stevewisnoski

Hi Guys: Here's a screenshot showing what I could fit on the screen, regarding send and receive. The 1st aria player holds 16, the 2nd player holds 5. Does this look good to you ? Thank you.
https://stash.reaper.fm/23611/routing...e%203%2012.png
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #65
Tod

Quote:
Hi Guys: Here's a screenshot showing what I could fit on the screen, regarding send and receive. The 1st aria player holds 16, the 2nd player holds 5. Does this look good to you ? Thank you.
https://stash.reaper.fm/23611/routing...e%203%2012.png
Aah okay Steve, I see what's going on. On your midi track sends you've still got the audio assigned on your midi sends. Also you haven't assigned them to a channel number but instead have them assigned to "All". So you're depending on the midi channels in the Midi Editor to play the right midi data.

I guess that will work but I think it would be better if you assigned your midi track sends differently.

Take another look at how I assigned the send in this picture. Notice that I have Audio: None and MIDI: All->1. In this case that midi track is sending midi channel 1 to the Aria player.

Doing it this way, you know exactly where that midi track is going and you don't have to worry so much about which midi channel the midi data is on in your Midi Editor.

https://stash.reaper.fm/23585/Reaper%...I-O%29%201.png
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #66
stevewisnoski

Thanks< Tod. later, I will have time to set up another experiment and will look hard at your screenshot.