Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #41
ksor
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Not all VST plugins are instruments; you get VST modulation effects, too (and someone created a decent game of chess as a VST, just to prove that he could).Typically Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins - some plugins need to be installed, and will go there by default, but usually you just drop the downloaded dll file in there.

You can actually have your plugins folder anywhere you want, but must configure Reaper to scan that folder (under Options>Preferences>Plugins/VST). You can configure Reaper to scan several folders.
I still see no "Bass" under the FX - VST or VSTi ... I exspected a name with "Bass" in it - but none to find !
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #42
ivansc

KSor.
The way it works is that you have to actually go get a VSTi (I-the i stands for instrument rather than a plain VST which is usually an effect plug in rather than an instrument)

You are at the start of a long, but enjoyable journey.

One good place to start is at www.kvr.com, which has literally thousands of VST and VSTi files available, a good percentage of which are free to download and use.

There is no reason why you cannot still use your Sound Canvas but it is likely to be easier and you will end up with MUCH better sounds if you learn how to use VST and VSTi within reaper.

User Johnny Ginese on this forum has made some excellent free tutorials you can watch for free which will guide you in the use of VST and VSTi in reaper, but this is information that will help you in any DAW.

If you read your SC manual, there is a section in the back alled MIDI implementation which tells you what all the various codes can do but it is not that easy to understand.
Come back to us if you get stuck.

Ivan
P.S. I have a great little booklet put out by Roland years ago which explains midi and the various standard controllers really well. I will try and scna it in and send it to you if you think it will help.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
ksor

OK - I not sure I'm willing to go on that trip ... at least yet !

I feel as though I sink deeper and deeper into mod or quicksand - it's developing into more and more problems I think !

I'll first try another peace of software than Reaper - more advanced than my WELL FUNCTIONING EVA (bad it has no more than 1 audio track !)

So ... let's stop here for now !

Thx to all of you !
Old 12-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #44
ksor

I couldn't let Reaper down, so I searched in my settings and I got it !

In the menu

Options/Preferences/MIDI Devices

I can dobble-click on my OUTPUT MIDI device (a cable) and REMOVE a checkmark for "Send clock/SPP to this device" and this removes my unwanted "Jingle bells" (... and it still gonna be Xmas, I think !)

So my "Jingle bells" was this "clock/SPP" - whatever it is or means !

Try setting it on in your Reaper and you'll hear what I have talked about all the time !

So, now we are rolling again !
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #45
ivansc

Hooray!

Well done you.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #46
ksor

>> ivensc

Did you manage this scanning of the booklet from Roland - I would like to read a little about the principels in the MIDI-standard, so I would be very thankfull if you would do the job - I'll teach Santa Claas to ring his 'Jingle bells' for you !
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #47
gofer
-blänk-

Ah, that's great, thumbs up for sticking through.

I find you left us cooking long enough, ksor . I'd really like to hear the jingle bells, please upload a snippet, would you?

Ivan, could you check if you get some noise with your Sound canvases when you switch clock/SPP on?
Sending clock/SPP to my Yamaha doesn't alter the sound at all and it shouldn't do that for ksor.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #48
ivansc

*sigh* studio in pieces after a recent large (forme) live gig, so it will take a day or so but I had already decided to try this.

more later... prolly after Xmas though as family are coming this weekend Yikes! Tomorrow night!!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #49
ksor

>> gofer
Cooking ... it was I who was cooking - everyone tells me to stick with Reaper and I can't figure out why it so difficult to get so simple things to work ... it is a peace of cake in my simple EVA program, but never mind now ... I found some articles in SoS on the Reaper and I will read them carefully, but ...

I think it gets more and more spooky - why should my Roland SC react differently from your Yamaha on these Clock/SPP pulses ?

But here it's very clear - when the checkmark is on - Santa Claas is ringing his Jingle Bells and when it's off he's not !

Here is my cables between my Keyboard, the Roland SC and my pc:

Keyboard to MIDI IN (back) on the Roland SC
PC MIDI OUT to MIDI IN (front) on the Roland SC
PC MIDI IN to MIDI THROUGH on the Roland SC

Did I do something wrong in the cabling of my units ?

Should the cabling have been done differently ?

Last edited by ksor; 12-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.
ksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #50
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksor View Post
everyone tells me to stick with Reaper and I can't figure out why it so difficult to get so simple things to work ...
I found it incredibly easy, which is why I converted. When evaluating a DAW, or any complex piece of new kit, I think it's a good idea to build a new project from scratch, to become familiar with its functions, before you start porting old projects in.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote