Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
einfachfelix
Human being with feelings

Default what would I have to do to send a command to reaper from my hardware controller?

So I did some research, and found that you can make those OSC scripts that can send stuff to reaper. and you can somehow connect midi to the osc stuff with oscii-bot right ?
what I dont get is: how do I set this stuff up ?
can someone give me a simple example for the following specifications:

press CC Button on controller -> reaper goes into record mode f.e. -> sends midi message back to controller so that the CC Button lights up.

How would I have to set this up ?
is it possible to do the following:
press button on controller -> reaper runs a script -> script sends midi data to controller ?
einfachfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by einfachfelix View Post
So I did some research, and found that you can make those OSC scripts that can send stuff to reaper. and you can somehow connect midi to the osc stuff with oscii-bot right ?
what I dont get is: how do I set this stuff up ?
can someone give me a simple example for the following specifications:

press CC Button on controller -> reaper goes into record mode f.e. -> sends midi message back to controller so that the CC Button lights up.

How would I have to set this up ?
is it possible to do the following:
press button on controller -> reaper runs a script -> script sends midi data to controller ?
There's an oscii-bot specific section of this forum. You can find answers there.
Anyway, when you download oscii-bot, there are couple of demo scripts with it.
You should put your script (*.txt) in the same folder with oscii-bot.exe. Create empty oscii-bot.ini file in the same folder, so that oscii-bot would know that it should search for scripts in this folder.
Then, I'll quote a part of my instruction for SL MkII and a part of my script here:

Code:
    In Reaper: "Options/Preferences?Control/OSC/Web/" press "Add".
        Control surface mode - OSC (Open Sound Control). Device name - SL MkII. Pattern config - NovationSL. Mode - IP + local.
        Device port: 9000. Device IP: your local IP. Should be the same as in @input string.
        Local listen port: 8000. Local IP: your local IP. Should be the same as in @output string.

In "Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices" - MIDI inputs, set "SL MkII" to "Enabled+Control". "MIDIIN2 (SL MkII)" 
        and "MIDIIN3 (SL MkII)" should be disabled.
        In "Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices" - MIDI outputs, set "SL MkII" to "Enabled+Clock". "MIDIIN2 (SL MkII)" 
        and "MIDIIN3 (SL MkII)" should be disabled.
Code:
@input midi_in MIDI "MIDIIN3 (SL MkII)"     // From SL MkII to the script
@output midi_out MIDI "MIDIOUT3 (SL MkII)"    // From the script to SL MkII 

@input osc_in OSC "192.168.1.2:9000"        // From Reaper to the script
@output osc_out OSC "192.168.1.2:8000"        // From the script to Reaper
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote