Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #441
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I sort of expected as much. Well mate, your time is better spent on other things anyway. No problem. But one more question. What do you think about converting to VST? Ever considered it? Just thinking that Filther deserves a wider audience..
I'll try and get some feel for how heavy it is. But as I said, there is still some potential for performance gains with less frequent updating of all the coefficients. There's probably a happy medium where you don't hear any loss of quality, but see a pretty significant perf increase. But these things take time. I will let you know when I have something you can try on that front.

And yeah, I know that thread. I looked at Geep Jeez some time ago. It looked abandoned and I doubt that JSFX with all the latest features would work off the bat. I do still want to try one day. But if it requires more than some small fixes, picking up maintenance on a project that big isn't in my near future

Doesn't running it in ReaJS work?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #442
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Oh I have no idea. I don't need it to do anything more than it does atm. Look, it's none of my business, but you're too humble for your own good... I'm just an onlooker, but by doing these projects in JS, is fine and dandy for the few of us here who've been lucky enough to "discover" its greatness, but this is definitely a small niche. I can't help wondering how the world at large would react to your supermachines if only they were coded in a more common format.

I'm guessing this project started as a personal whim while you search for the right job. But I think your top-tier talents have more than proven themselves. You're self-driven, creative and bright like a supernova. I sincerely hope your talents won't be wasted on some soul-sucking corporate gig. I think you could make a career as an independent coder if you really wanted to. Again, none of my business...just sayin...
Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #443
ReaMike

Hi sai'ke.

Have you read any of the papers by Andrew Simper from Cytomic?

https://cytomic.com/index.php?q=technical-papers

I remember him also referring to pre calculating certain parts of his filters to reduce CPU load. I don't know what that means, but maybe it would be interesting to you.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #444
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaMike View Post
Hi sai'ke.

Have you read any of the papers by Andrew Simper from Cytomic?

https://cytomic.com/index.php?q=technical-papers

I remember him also referring to pre calculating certain parts of his filters to reduce CPU load. I don't know what that means, but maybe it would be interesting to you.
Thanks for the heads up, but they're already in Filther (they're the SVF ones) .

For all the filters, coefficients that can be precomputed are only updated when the cutoff or resonance changes actually. If you keep the cutoff and resonance fixed (which also means no dynamics and LFO), the load is lower.

The expensive parts do need recomputing when you automate them though. Now, currently, once automation takes place, I update the coefficients once every sample (per incoming sample, not per outgoing sample in the case of oversampling).

This is probably still excessive and can be reduced. Economy modes, where updates happen much more rarely (once every 10 samples or so) are on the to-do list. I did some preliminary testing for this with the crybaby, and it seemed to reduce CPU usage by about 50%.

The only issue with this is that very sudden transitions in filter coefficients can lead to instability for some filters and I have to go through them to see where the limits are for the different filters and to what extent coefficients can be kept fixed and/or interpolated.

There are two complications that make these filters different from the ones that you find in that paper.
1. The SVF filters in the paper are explicitly defined. That means a closed form equation exists that calculates the next sample. Something you can compute in a single evaluation. The heavier filters in Filther are of a different form. They're in the shape of a system of equations, that cannot be solved analytically. The heavier ones in Filther are implicit, which means that at every sample, a small system of equations must be solved. Solving these equations is iterative and typically requires more calculations than an explicit (linear) filter does. For some of them, there are cheaper approximations also present in Filther (the linearized forms), but they don't saturate in the same nice manner that the non-linear expensive ones do. For the bigger ones, I used python to do some common sub-expression elimination, to make sure that things that could be pre-evaluated at the 'cutoff/resonance change' level, actually do get evaluated at those levels. For some this was a big benefit, for others it didn't make much of a dent in the cost.
2. To make performance even worse, some of the equations contain nasty transcendental functions like tanh (which smoothly saturate), but which are also *expensive*. For those where I couldn't hear a difference, I replaced these with cheaper approximations. But in places where I could hear / measure a difference, I kept them, putting audio fidelity first for now.

Anyways, an economy mode is being considered and every version does come with small optimizations. It's just that there are a lot of trade-offs that go into this.

My apologies for the wall of text. I get carried away sometimes.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-12-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added a bit about the heavier filters
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #445
ReaMike

That answered a lot of questions sai’ke. Thanks for the detailed response!

Out of interest, have you played with anti-aliasing filters post saturation stages?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #446
sai'ke

Quote:
That answered a lot of questions sai’ke. Thanks for the detailed response!

Out of interest, have you played with anti-aliasing filters post saturation stages?
Yeah, there are anti-aliasing filters present when you use oversampling. All distortion and filtering is done on the upsampling signal. Anti-aliasing filters are applied post-upsampling (after zero filling) and before downsampling.

There's two flavors.
IIR - Which cuts a little bit more aggressively and can cause some phase distortion, but which is relatively cheap. For most intents and purposes (basses, guitars and the like) this is fine.
FIR - Uses a windowed sinc filter. Up/Downsampling is done via a polyphase setup combining upsampling and filtering in one step. It has linear phase. But if you're going to use it with one of the IIR filters which distort the phase anyway, I would probably go with the IIR, since it's cheaper.
Anyways, it's probably always best to try both and select with your ears

The anti-aliasing that I still want to add is based on this paper: http://ant-s4.unibw-hamburg.de/dafx/...aper_41-PN.pdf

We had some little discussion on it in this forum actually and I have written a standalone implementation of it in the context of a saturator, which was then improved in collaboration with Tale and Erbird: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ght=saturation

It can really make a fairly big difference and could be used _on top_ of the oversampling (not requiring as much oversampling anymore).

I also want to look into adapting this technique to the spline based waveshaper. This should be possible, since it's trivial to compute an integral of a spline function, but this will take some more time since it has to be done carefully and right now, I'm working on adding optional automation envelopes. It's very easy to make a mistake somewhere in numerical code.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-13-2019 at 03:55 AM. Reason: minor sentence glitches
Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #447
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post

Only for Windows (and perhaps Linux, using LinVST). But not if you're using a Mac, sadly.

Not to take the thread far off topic, but I would think a ReaPlugs for macOS would be beneficial to the JS community, allowing us Mac users to use the many amazing JS plugins in other DAWs (link to FR in my signature).
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #448
ReaMike

Thanks again sai'ke!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 AM   #449
sai'ke

So, I've been hard at work at a pretty big feature addition. Now we'll really have cockpit-itis.

Those lines are loop points. The envelope will loop between those vertical lines until the MIDI note is released.

But now I've reached a conundrum. I see a few directions to go and would like to do a mini opinion poll

1. I allow only one envelope-like modulator per thing (thing being filter, or routing, or modulator). Either dynamics, envelope1 or envelope2. Clicking dyn will disable env1 and env2. Clicking env1 will disable dyn and env2 etc.
Pros: Easy to understand.
Cons: Limits flexibility.

2. I allow multiple to be activated. The sum is used to modulate.
Pros: Flexible.
Pros: Makes comparing with and without modulation easier.
Cons: Might not be what is naturally expected since now the added values of DYN, ENV1 and ENV2 can exceed the mod range three fold (for this consider what happens if all three are at 1).

3. I allow multiple to be activated, the average is used to modulate.
Pros: All modulations are still guarenteed to be within the mod range. When all three are 1, we are at the maximum of the mod range.
Cons: When turning on an envelope, the value instantaneously changes, making comparing things harder. Consider for example that Envelope 1 is at 1 for some point, and then we activate envelope 2, which starts at 0. Then suddenly the mod value is 0.5. This will make things a litlte harder to compare.

4. I allow multiple to be activated. They are just summed and clamped.
Pros: Turning envelopes on and off is a bit more intuitive than option 3.
Cons: Clamping can be very counterintuitive, since in some cases, changing the envelope won't change the sound.

Please don't ask for separate sliders for cutoff and resonance or for multiple mod ranges per slider. While I agree that it would be cool. The way the plug is set up now, it's just not going to happen. At least not on the short term.

To me, option 1 or 3 have the preference, since I think they will be easiest to understand, but I would like everyone who uses Filther to weigh in on this.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-14-2019 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #450
foxAsteria

Oooo, ultimate feature! Hmmkay, I see no reason to limit flexibility, so not 1. It's hard to pick between 2-4 without hearing it, but yea I guess 3 sounds reasonable.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 AM   #451
TonE

Clearly, no 3.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #452
justcosmic1

Default Emulating ensoniq Mirage/Curtis filters

Hi,
I am currently trying to see how close I can get to the original sound of my Ensoniq Mirage - in particular the sound of the CURTIS CEM 3328 with a 4-poles resonant filter.

I am wondering if Filther already has the capability of doing this and just needs preset programming or if this would need to be another "filter type" - in which case please consider this a feature request !

First things first - to download and check this out properly.
The whole Reaper ecosystem is just amazing - hats off for even attempting this!
justcosmic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #453
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcosmic1 View Post
Hi,
I am currently trying to see how close I can get to the original sound of my Ensoniq Mirage - in particular the sound of the CURTIS CEM 3328 with a 4-poles resonant filter.

I am wondering if Filther already has the capability of doing this and just needs preset programming or if this would need to be another "filter type" - in which case please consider this a feature request !

First things first - to download and check this out properly.
The whole Reaper ecosystem is just amazing - hats off for even attempting this!
You own one? Is it possible to somehow get controlled sweeps with known inputs out of that thing? Or notes with and without filter at specific known pitches and gain levels. I mean, I think I could do a much better job at modelling it if I had a controlled data-set like that.

I've tried modelling the CEM 3389, but I never had any real data, and I think my model for that one isn't very good tbh. I think with the MS-20 I got much closer to what it is supposed to sound like. But I would love to have a real crack at the 3328 at some point.

It might take some time though, because I have some other things to round up first.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #454
Sju

Looped envelopes, nice! Really hard to say about the different modulation combinations without trying it out first. What would be a real world use case for having both DYN and ENV active at the same time (that DYN+LFO doesn't already cover)? Can't think of any offhand.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #455
sai'ke

Yeah, it's tricky. This is why I considered option 1 (mutual exclusivity) as that would lead to the least confusion. The sudden drop in "envelope level" when enabling a second one may gather me a lot of bug reports that aren't bugs

DYN and ENV? You could consider (ab)using the envelope as some sort of dynamic LFO. While the DYN part sort of does the more following aspect.

Also, DYN (when not used in monophonic mode) doesn't necessarily reset. So it can 'gather' energy across multiple nodes. Whereas the envelopes will typically reset. I realize this is advanced usage, but it's tricky making these judgment calls sometimes

Although, since option 1 is simply a subset of option 3, there is no reason other than "easier to understand" to prefer option 1.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #456
Sju

Hmm yeah I guess I could see myself using the ENV to create LFO shapes that aren't included in the LFO presets. Does DYN and LFO currently just add together? Maybe that mode would àlso be good for ENV for consistency, so that would be number 4 I think?
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #457
Bri1

Quote:
But now I've reached a conundrum. I see a few directions to go and would like to do a mini opinion poll

aha !..a riddle huh?
it's all your call-as your the ruler of this roost-you make the shots towards your own goals right..just make sure you score,each time eh!
i think in terms of simplicity,usabilties+ also complexities--so all the above applies >here<!
choices are indeed a very personal thing imo...especially while creating a new 'invention'.
sky would be a fantastic limit,but think you may have already been into space with this1..
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #458
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Hmm yeah I guess I could see myself using the ENV to create LFO shapes that aren't included in the LFO presets. Does DYN and LFO currently just add together? Maybe that mode would àlso be good for ENV for consistency, so that would be number 4 I think?
For synths, one use is to have an envelope dedicated to the gain. Shaping the gain can have pretty dramatic effects on the more non-linear filters. I don't really know where you'd stack multiple envelopes, but who knows...

One benefit of number four would also be slightly lower CPU usage (no division by the count needed).

And yeah, that's a good point too. Somehow, the LFO felt different tho, since there you can modify this additional range parameter too.

I currently have it set to number four, but I'm not sure. It's just strange to see that notch constantly exceeding the range (goes up to a multiple of the number of modulating channels active), and somehow, you don't have the safety of being guaranteed to stay in the range when for example you know you might hit some nasty resonatey bits outside of it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #459
ReaMike

Option 3, probably. But just go with what you think feels right.

The envelopes look like fun. Would it be possible to have a grid back drop with adjustable sub divisions?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #460
sai'ke

Quote:
The envelopes look like fun. Would it be possible to have a grid back drop with adjustable sub divisions?
Yeah, this is planned. Also optional X snapping.

I was thinking of allowing an overall time to be set with a slider. As in, .5 measure, 1 measure, 2 measure, 4 measures etc. And then subdivision modifiers that can be selected (3 buttons for /4 and 2 buttons for /3 and then when you select two /4's for instance, you get 16th lines).

I first wanted to get it up and running, to see how the performance penalty would be when they're not engaged. Even functionality that isn't active costs at least a little performance.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #461
sai'ke

Getting there. Last thing to implement is some optional snapping.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #462
Eliseat

Holy ...! ༼ つ ◕o◕ ༽つ -`ღ´-
Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #463
sai'ke

There´s still some further testing that I want to do, but in case anyone wants to take it for a spin already.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Filther_v2_36.zip (103.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #464
Bri1

Quote:

nice spoiler!! - this looks even better than a 2nd lfo actually--liking the slip operation there..is it slip a envelope then?

will they both be tempo synced,or free running also?

this again would make a nice simple,single module...but please do not lose focus with filther! - great shot,good goal. =)
very smart.
please take lots of time testing yourself sai'ke and not hurry this out the 'door'-because only you actually knows the full operations of all aspects you created..cheers.

*edit-afterthought-- it may seem bizarre request,but there may be a potential to listen+learn some audio input right? -> and translate that info direct to envelopes? - how many bars/measures are you looking at in total just now sai'ke?

Last edited by Bri1; 03-16-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 03-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #465
ReaMike

Polyrhythm time!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #466
sai'ke

Just pushed the last version.

Other than the obvious (envelopes!), should also notice a bit of a performance boost with the crybaby filters.

And for you Bri1, another multiplier for the feedback delay. Another x4 makes it considerably longer. Even longer, I sadly don't have memory for anymore.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #467
Bri1

hey-ok: impressions: nice update-but issues appeared..
1: noticing the lfo glitchez again see gif?

was just triggering from reaper virtual kb and it's there..
2: noticing the delay feedback was cutting off output if exceeding certain ranges with all multipliers enabled--and with only 2 enabled as well-- seems to just go out of range for the effect to happen..not even pushing the full modulation ranges ok...?
3: noticing the very 1st envelope point not doing any update action after tweaking nodes--- found it very fiddly to work with tbh-- nice being able to zoom etc+scroll-- but try editing some extra points then try grabbing the loop markers is...exhausting... very very fiddly/tricky to manipulate -but still great!
maybe lock to a certain amount of nodes for the env like the spline?..perhaps 8 > 10 points ?
oh,and if no midi is in timeline-obviously rec+monitoring needed be ..enabled for envelopes to work as with midi.

also,could you please reconsider some reset toggles-- 1 for the whole device...and if you could spare it-- resets for logical modules?
it's very difficult to go back to some default settings without either recompile,or loading defaulting preset..

^prettier please with plenty of cherries?
n1 thanx_a_lot.

that extra delay multiplier seems to be fabo-imo..gj.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:58 AM   #468
ReaMike

I haven’t tried midi triggers yet, but when using Filther on an audio loop: EN1>Cutoff = no modulation until after reaching the first break point. Also, dragging this break point to the far left will cause it to get stuck when nearing the lower left corner.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #469
Eliseat

Sai'ke, this is such an intuitive addition. And its again just stunning how you play out such things!

FYI: I tested the unofficial version for a few minutes and had a lot of fun but then I ran into a complete Filther/audio crash when I was moving the left loop range boundary. It was no auto mute. Filther just stopped delivering audio.

Another thing was, that the points in snap mode flip their intended position if they get into vertical overlap. This also happens often with Reapers regular envelope points. To describe it more precisely: If you move a point from the right above another point leftwards to shape a rectangle or vertical line, the shape gets broken because the moved point jumps over in the point order. But I have no idea of how to solve this. Maybe a barrier would make sense so that a point which gets moved from left or right over another point only flips over after a tiny safety range.

Beside that it worked like a charm. And again I can't find words which could describe how crazy it is, to see you develop such things on the fly. Who needs two LFOs if one gets such nice envelopes? The implementation reminds me a bit on the free TAL Filter 2 (?) plugin which I really like. LOVELY!

Many thanks, Sai'ke. You really make dreams come true. And I'm asking myself if its still useful to create presets because after this update they look a bit embarrassing in the context of all the new possibilities.

Last edited by Eliseat; 03-17-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Eliseat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 AM   #470
Eliseat

Danger! Danger!(ʘᗩʘ’)

I just realized that enabling the envelopes in one preset enables them in ALL presets. BUT - to take a deep breath - after a restart everything looks normal gain.

This is weird: The woman in this video looks nearly like my mother (without the lewd behavior).

Last edited by Eliseat; 03-17-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #471
Bri1

lolz-naughty naughty--kids have no chance v stuff like that^
rushed out the gate m8....
the invert stereo mode seems broken...also some of the other stereo modes are boosting the left channel a lot more than the right channel..?
the envelopes would seem much better to grapple with,if they were much larger--say,the full width under the fft scope..? (moving filter font ttips in that place?)
(( will maybe crockup a different layout--to see if elements 'fit' any smarter..just to see))

+ the sai'ke waveshaped filters are feedback resonating a lot--early on..
sure sai'ke does not want to read this,but there it is...not complaining-just reporting..for all to see/test 4 themselves...
made a recording though-it was fun playing.. =)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #472
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
lolz-naughty naughty--kids have no chance v stuff like that^
I find this video just funny - even as a German female. (You know we Germans have no humor by definition.) So in my case the cliche doesn't apply. But in your case ...? - I mean there is a conflict I can see: The great British humor vs. the all known British puritanism. Feel free to choose which stereotype fits the best.

Just to get an idea: I grew up in a very open minded environment. FKK and free talking about sexual things was just normal. Imagine that I was 12 years old when I went on a school trip. We were hiking thru the nature when we came on a lake. It was a hot summer day. Everybody wanted a refreshment. Nobody had swimwear. So all girls and boys - including the teachers - jumped nude into the water and just had the biggest fun. And guess what. This felt very naturally without any sexual hidden agenda. Something you probably will never find out from your viewpoint.

Anyway. Filther is the best!! And Sai'ke a coding god!

Thanks for your understanding, Bri1
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #473
Bri1

Quote:
there is a conflict I can see

. Something you probably will never find out from your viewpoint.
lolz-there is no conflict m8-but maybe 1 is not noticing the obvious luciferianism elements to a lot of branded+commercialized marketing+product wholesaling--(present company non inclusive) >hollywood is rife with this 'filth'-- look into the words and pictures m8-not @ them
of course,sex is a natural thing-but not to an undeveloped mind imo..there's a truly darkside to music+ the business of it,just be aware the light will prevail,before the.end.
that is all...
heh- don't see how that video was related to filther,or reaper in anyway..but that's fine by me= trying to be a opening+learning mind..
we learn from the 'differences'--so why would 1 hide from any? through fear? maybe..
happy filthering- while waiting for 5d?

yep-an expanded mind senses a 'time' draws closer to this ....reality... =)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #474
sai'ke

Quote:
hey-ok: impressions: nice update-but issues appeared..
1: noticing the lfo glitchez again see gif?
That's intended behaviour. It's to visualize what is being randomized (e.g. those DC's / time constants etc get randomized).

Quote:
2: noticing the delay feedback was cutting off output if exceeding certain ranges with all multipliers enabled--and with only 2 enabled as well-- seems to just go out of range for the effect to happen..not even pushing the full modulation ranges ok...?
Exceeding what ranges? What happens exactly? When you make the time longer, and there is no data that far back in time yet, it may sound like it's cutting out, but it just hasn't accumulated enough history yet. Anyways, without a reproducible example of what's happening, it's impossible to fix it.

Quote:
3: noticing the very 1st envelope point not doing any update action after tweaking nodes--- found it very fiddly to work with tbh-- nice being able to zoom etc+scroll-- but try editing some extra points then try grabbing the loop markers is...exhausting... very very fiddly/tricky to manipulate -but still great!
Noted. Would having a different control for add node / delete node help?

Quote:
maybe lock to a certain amount of nodes for the env like the spline?..perhaps 8 > 10 points ?
I don't think this would solve anything. All it would do is limit the number of points.

Quote:
oh,and if no midi is in timeline-obviously rec+monitoring needed be ..enabled for envelopes to work as with midi.
Well, yeah? :P

Quote:
also,could you please reconsider some reset toggles-- 1 for the whole device...and if you could spare it-- resets for logical modules?
it's very difficult to go back to some default settings without either recompile,or loading defaulting preset..
A reset button for the envelopes is on the to-do list. Not for the total thing, since then you might as well reset to factory, which is two clicks. I would hardly call that very difficult.

Quote:
I haven’t tried midi triggers yet, but when using Filther on an audio loop: EN1>Cutoff = no modulation until after reaching the first break point. Also, dragging this break point to the far left will cause it to get stuck when nearing the lower left corner.
Good catch. There was some erroneous handling of points near the start. Both should be fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
FYI: I tested the unofficial version for a few minutes and had a lot of fun but then I ran into a complete Filther/audio crash when I was moving the left loop range boundary. It was no auto mute. Filther just stopped delivering audio.
That is really weird.... do you know of any way to reproduce this?

Quote:
Another thing was, that the points in snap mode flip their intended position if they get into vertical overlap. This also happens often with Reapers regular envelope points. To describe it more precisely: If you move a point from the right above another point leftwards to shape a rectangle or vertical line, the shape gets broken because the moved point jumps over in the point order. But I have no idea of how to solve this. Maybe a barrier would make sense so that a point which gets moved from left or right over another point only flips over after a tiny safety range.
The order is determined by whether you're left or right from the point it is snapping to. As long as you stay right of the grid line you're targeting, no flips should occur.

Quote:
Danger! Danger!(ʘᗩʘ’)
I just realized that enabling the envelopes in one preset enables them in ALL presets. BUT - to take a deep breath - after a restart everything looks normal gain.
Hahaha, great emoticon. Yeah... actually, that's a good point. It's because the older presets have no saved setting for the envelopes, so it doesn't overwrite anything. In the new version it should detect when a preset is old, and disable all the envelopes. Note that you'll have to re-enable and resave the ones where you've used envelopes now.

Quote:
Many thanks, Sai'ke. You really make dreams come true. And I'm asking myself if its still useful to create presets because after this update they look a bit embarrassing in the context of all the new possibilities.
Why wouldn't they be? I quite like what I've heard so far of your presets. They also inspire to push forward on new features/filters.

Quote:
You know, I'm getting a bit tired of your negativity. Comments like that are very demotivating to the whole process and it's not the first time either. I think that for someone who gets something for free, you sure act entitled. I really suggest that at some point you should start coding to find out that it is more difficult than you think. With limited time, there are limits to what I can do on my own. This is why it's a public beta. If this bothers you, you could either not use it or just stick with a fixed previous version if you're afraid of new bugs that might be introduced (reapack allows you to install any older version and keep it at the old version forever). Nobody is forcing you to use the latest version.

Quote:
the invert stereo mode seems broken...
There is no invert stereo mode. Read the tooltip before complaining. Invert returns 1 - filtered sound. Can produce strange results (or silence if the filter does nothing), but works as intended.

Quote:
also some of the other stereo modes are boosting the left channel a lot more than the right channel..?
Depends on the input source.

Quote:
also some of the other stereo modes are boosting the left channel a lot more than the right channel.
Nothing changed in that regard from the last version. And nothing will to maintain backward compatibility.

Quote:
the envelopes would seem much better to grapple with,if they were much larger--say,the full width under the fft scope..? (moving filter font ttips in that place?)
(( will maybe crockup a different layout--to see if elements 'fit' any smarter..just to see))
I'll consider it in a future update. Filter descriptions will not move to tooltips because there are warnings in there for some filters that are important to see.

Quote:
+ the sai'ke waveshaped filters are feedback resonating a lot--early on..
sure sai'ke does not want to read this,but there it is...not complaining-just reporting..for all to see/test 4 themselves...
It sure is starting to sound like complaining. We've been over this a few times already. And I've explained it to you before (both in PM and here). Where that filter resonates depends on what you set for the waveshaper. There are even two warnings in the filter description, I don't know what more you want.

As I've said before, it is *not* possible to predict when the resonance gets mean given the flexibility the user has in manipulating the waveshaper. Having a waveshaper in the feedback path *inside* the filter just incurs risk, since you can get signal gain over the feedback loop. If you're not OK with the risks, don't use it.

Changelog:
- Hotfix 1 to the envelope system. Caused an issue with the envelope not correctly loading the initial point when starting out.
- Hotfix 2 to the envelope system. One potentially caused issues selecting nodes (also potentially causing the creation of new ones when there was already one within the click range).
Old 03-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #475
Bri1

hmmm.k..
sigh....there will be no more supposed 'negatives'..that's a promise i wish to keep--it's the only true route to happiness <-find 'it' >in allthings< +staying that way!
thanx for checking.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #476
sai'ke

That said, I did swap the envelope and filter descriptions.

Because you are right in that the interactive envelope takes precedence in importance over a static textbox. Hopefully a bit less finicky now.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #477
Eliseat

Quote:
lolz-there is no conflict m8-but maybe 1 is not noticing the obvious luciferianism elements to a lot of branded+commercialized marketing+product wholesaling--(present company non inclusive) >hollywood is rife with this 'filth'-- look into the words and pictures m8-not @ them
of course,sex is a natural thing-but not to an undeveloped mind imo..there's a truly darkside to music+ the business of it,just be aware the light will prevail,before the.end.
that is all...
heh- don't see how that video was related to filther,or reaper in anyway..but that's fine by me= trying to be a opening+learning mind..
we learn from the 'differences'--so why would 1 hide from any? through fear? maybe..
happy filthering- while waiting for 5d?

yep-an expanded mind senses a 'time' draws closer to this ....reality... =)
The video was just a funny allusion to my emergency post: Danger! Danger! (I just recognized that ALL my presets had ENV1 and ENV2 enabled even if they were made when this addition wasn't in Filther yet!) Its okay, if you don't find it funny. So I will try to post in a more reserved way in the future. Sorry.

And again ... riddles! What do you mean with waiting for 5d?

Last edited by Eliseat; 03-17-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #478
Bri1

@sai'ke=wow! now that is great!

look-all we ever wanted was the best,from the best,to give their best for all,as all are the bests.all is infinite and glorious in it's essence.

there is no right/wrong imo- only what 'works' at any given moment,for any given thing,or purposes...danke dir?
@Eliseat- hmm well think in terms of 3d,now add another of time,then another==which equals what? -maybe a knowing all is 1,and 1 is all..?
i believe there to be many more d's,but that's for another topic,discussion far out of the scope to 'filther' here. - but as a facet,a quantum aspect-filther is just another definition,or expression of all that is.. heh no?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #479
sai'ke

For some more filth in your tunes, I added two wavefolders. They mix well with relatively simple waveforms. Just be warned, they are very sensitive to gain, maybe even moreso than the others. They won't blow up until you really push them hard, but they'll sound very different depending on the levels you're using.

For those of you who don't know what a wave folder is, it basically folds back waves back into themselves 'semi-smoothly' whenever they exceed some level. This creates very rich harmonics.

The wavefolder is just one, the multi-wavefolder is four in series.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #480
TonE

Is it like reflecting at max values, like billard balls? If yes, I did something like this for midi control values, reflecting at min and max values, this way I could use any mathematical function, e.g. also exponential function, and it would just reflect and continue! And your description above sounds a little like this, only for audio. Let me check it. Thanks a lot!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote