Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Miul
Human being with feelings

Default Make it a DAW (and not a programming course)

It would be nice if Reaper could be a software also for musician that know nothing about programming, script and so on.

Some random thought:

Is it possible in 2018 I had to make a custom action for “all midi off when playing stop”??? Notator invented this in 1990! Luckily I didn’t have to make a custom action “1- when pressing play start the song 2- play the song at tempo speed”

Is it possible that the midi piano roll opens with 400 bars? (Who knows what sort of script you need to have to behave normally)

Is it possible that track window doesn’t have the chance to memorize track visualization

Is it possible that you cannot edit audio of frozen tracks?

Is it possible that ARA is still a dream?

Are you sure the cursor need to be the view starting point all the time and you have take 2days off in order to find a way to be free from it?

Are you sure users don’t need a zoom lens for midi? Are you sure that nobody wants the navigation keys being exactly the same in the piano roll and in the arrange window.

Are you aware this is the only daw, I could say software where you don’t have the “show in finder” option?

Are you aware the comping is such a disaster that I will probably not use it?

Are you aware that inserting multiple mics recording on top of lanes is not possible?

Have you ever heard that stretch marker for multiple mics recordings need to have a reference track...and for drums more than one?

Now I go back to work and I know I will find so many others “are you sure?” and “do you know?” But at the end all of this can be said in just few words: make V6 a daw. For musician, not for informatic musicians.
You have a great starting point which I fully acknowledge, but in such condition I would not suggest Reaper to my worst enemy.
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
Is it possible that the midi piano roll opens with 400 bars? (Who knows what sort of script you need to have to behave normally)
Doesn't happen over here. Use one MIDI editor per project, and the option to load all project MIDI in it. Works just fine.

Quote:
Is it possible that you cannot edit audio of frozen tracks?
You can, frozen items are locked by default. Unlock them.

Quote:
Is it possible that ARA is still a dream?
ARA2 is in prereleases, not yet officially released, because there's no officially released ARA2 software yet.

Quote:
Are you aware this is the only daw, I could say software where you don’t have the “show in finder” option?
Wrong. It's right there in Media Explorer. Right-click whatever entry there.

It is pretty obvious for what kind of people Reaper is - those who need flexibility above everything. This won't ever change. If you want a DAW that reads your mind and works according to some expectations you have from your prior DAW or DAWs, you're probably best of using those other DAWs.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
dasombre

Quote:
... make V6 a daw. For musician, not for informatic musicians.
You have a great starting point which I fully acknowledge, but in such condition I would not suggest Reaper to my worst enemy.
Reaper is clearly not for you. Reaper is about building your dream-daw yourself. If you dont want to do that, you should switch the program you use right now. Simple as that.
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Paul99

I don't agree at all with you. Reaper is out of the box available to do all regular DAW activities: record, play, overdub, mix etc. If and only if you want more, you can add SWS and scripts, but only if you want. You don't need it.
Furthermore: does a musician learn playing his/her instrument without effort? No, they have to study and practice hard to get to know how to play well. Reaper is nothing but a musician's tool you have to get to know to get used to it. That takes time.

On the other hand: can some things be done in Reaper in a more intuitive way? Yes, obviously that's why Reaper meanwhile has come to v5.95. At the same time intuitive unfortunately is rather subjective: what is intuitive to one person maybe completely impossible to understand for an other person.
So, stop complaining, buckle up and give your self time to get to know Reaper as you already did to learn music.
And really, it doesn't hurt reading the manual from time to time and watching some video's (there's a lot of them!).
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Doesn't happen over here. Use one MIDI editor per project, and the option to load all project MIDI in it. Works just fine.
One midi editor per project?!? I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
You can, frozen items are locked by default. Unlock them.
Great! A good news.

Quote:
ARA2 is in prereleases, not yet officially released, because there's no officially released ARA2 software yet.
ARA, I said ARA...who talked about ARA2?

Quote:
Wrong. It's right there in Media Explorer. Right-click whatever entry there.
Tell me the truth....you made a script! Can I have it?

Quote:
It is pretty obvious for what kind of people Reaper is - those who need flexibility above everything.
And where I ever said I would like Reaper to get rid of flexibility. If you want to zoom in the arrange windows with Command Shift T and in midi piano roll with altP you have any right to do so! Then you are for less flexibility, I would like them just to add an option to use the same keys on all windows for "selected functions". Much more flexible!

Look, this is my 6th daw I use in my life, I must have sort of mental flexibility, shouldn't I? But once again, force me to write a custom action to stop all midi off......

Just to end it the last observation (I could have written just this one to show how right I am):
Quote:
Right-click whatever entry there.
what other Daw user in the world would ever use the word "entry" in place of select audio file?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
I don't agree at all with you. Reaper is out of the box available to do all regular DAW activities: record, play, overdub, mix etc. If and only if you want more, you can add SWS and scripts, but only if you want. You don't need it.
Furthermore: does a musician learn playing his/her instrument without effort? No, they have to study and practice hard to get to know how to play well. Reaper is nothing but a musician's tool you have to get to know to get used to it. That takes time.

On the other hand: can some things be done in Reaper in a more intuitive way? Yes, obviously that's why Reaper meanwhile has come to v5.95. At the same time intuitive unfortunately is rather subjective: what is intuitive to one person maybe completely impossible to understand for an other person.
So, stop complaining, buckle up and give your self time to get to know Reaper as you already did to learn music.
And really, it doesn't hurt reading the manual from time to time and watching some video's (there's a lot of them!).
Dear Paul99, as far as you know about me, how can you pretend to teach me something? I'm teaching nothing to no one here, I'm making my observation in a sort of a ironic-sarcastic way. You can agree or disagree that Reaper's comping is like a prototype, but don't give me life's lessons, because you know about me as much as I know about you: nothing!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
One midi editor per project?!? I don't know what you're talking about.
Preferences->Editing Behavior->MIDI editor. Reaper has options. Explore them. Or don't, then bitch on forums. There's the user guide. There's videos by Kenny Gioia. You can't reasonably expect to know a program without consulting documentation.

Quote:
ARA won't happen because it's structurally too different from Reaper's internal frameworks. However ARA2 was done with Cockos collaborating with Celemony so it works fine.

Quote:
If you want to zoom in the arrange windows with Command Shift T and in midi piano roll with altP you have any right to do so!
Well, no. Because you're free to modify keyboard shortcuts however you want, so I've done that to suit myself and my workflow. Reaper already gives you the possibility. So change it, then! You don't have to write any scripts to do that.

For the record, I use vertical and horizontal mousewheels for zooming and scrolling. It's much better than key presses.

Quote:
Tell me the truth....you made a script! Can I have it?
Nope, no script, it's built in. Open Reaper's Media Explorer and right-click on a file, it does have Show in explorer/finder option. Proof:

Quote:
what other Daw user in the world would ever use the word "entry" in place of select audio file?
Because it doesn't have to be an audio file, you can also do it on a folder, or any other file type that is shown there (doesn't have to be an audio file at all). So yeah... "entry" from the list is a valid word here.

Quote:
(I could have written just this one to show how right I am)
Ah, so this is all about YOU being RIGHT? Well that's pretty arrogant of you.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Miul

Quote:
You can't reasonably expect to know a program without consulting documentation.
ARA won't happen because it's structurally too different from Reaper's internal frameworks.
And who told you that? I've seen them many times but basically he suggests how to make Reaper a daw! Sometimes he doesn't go really into detailed problems, in terms of uses of the daw the videos are pretty basic.
Anyway, nobody can be happier than me when I'm wrong here, you cannot pretend that after only a couple of months of study I know everything of this mess (it's a mess the way they deliver it...and Kenny Gioia puts in order...some of it).

ARA. Still.

Flexibility. I never saw that other media explorer (of course it must be somewhere in the 2000 page manual or in some of Gioa's video, but I'm only an "Human being with feelings" and not a computer)...I thought it was the bay. How nice if "show in finder" could be also there or am I wrong? Flexibility

When I said "how right I am" I was referring to the fact that people here uses programming terminology and I never said it was the wrong word to use...all the other way around, I said it was super technical!

But at the end guys, if you like everything, if you think they have already reached the top of flexibility, if you think you can make the daw of your dream with what you've got today with reaper, even without the SWS (thank you so much SWS-SPK-Crtstr- guys!), that is good for you. Congratulation!
I will still exercise my right to say my point of view about things.

P.S. What about if my favourite tool for zooming has been the lens for 30 years and all of a sudden I can use it only in the arrange window (flexibility)? Is that limiting or not? I'm hoping so badly that you show me now where they have hidden it

Cheers
Old 09-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
pcartwright

Quote:
And who told you that?
One of the Reaper developers. See link below:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=180
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
make V6 a daw. For musician, not for informatic musicians.
Why? In the market there is room for both - and more - varieties. Who needs a DAW that is less demanding intellectually, will be able to find it. But there are enough users that need the (complex) features. Reaper offers.

E.g. I use it for live playing, as a remote controlled embedded tool, Midi message converter, Audio research tool, ... And sometimes even to mix some recorded multi track audio.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-15-2018 at 11:11 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasombre View Post
Reaper is clearly not for you. Reaper is about building your dream-daw yourself. If you dont want to do that, you should switch the program you use right now. Simple as that.
I agree with this. I get it when a user generally likes Reaper's workflow but gets irritated with a specific quirk. However, I don't understand when a user finds the whole Reaper paradigm problematic and somehow expects the design of the entire program to change. There are a myriad of DAWs that are built for the musician, and several others that already support ARA.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
ARA(1) obviously is outdated. There will be no new software supporting ARA(1) but not ARA2.

-Michael
Old 09-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
mpl

please make v6 for talented EDM childrens without stupid scripts without docs and this ugly design from 90s
who read dat stupid docs and manuals? why can i just push turn and move fancy colored switches buttonsand knobs whatever so I can just create my fcking stuff from scratch without programmer shit and ugly geek menus I see now! MAKE REAPA DAW AGAIN!!!11!!!!1!!
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
mschnell

Unfortunately the case of this OP is too sad for sarcasm
Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Unfortunately the case of this OP is too sad for sarcasm
Yeah, it's amazing how Ed takes so much time to explain things to him. But nothing comes through to him. That's because he's always right and so the rest is always wrong. But then, what can you expect from somebody who uses Reaper as his 6th DAW. 6 DAW's! I guess he had this very same discussion also with the users of the other 5 DAW's about those DAW's.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
Miul

Default Studio one versus Reaper = same

What makes Studio one and Reaper the same? The two daws has got nothing in common, where the first has got its strength the other one show incredible weakness and vice versa. So, what is it? The users behavior. S1 users are sure, with no doubt arising, is the best daw ever. I can see, unfortunately, here the same attitude, which is the worst enemy of the improvements.

Many of you have helped me in these days, and I thank you so much, but some comments are a bit over the place honestly. I invite you not to forget that we are discussing about a software.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
Miul

Quote:
Yeah, it's amazing how Ed takes so much time to explain things to him. But nothing comes through to him. That's because he's always right and so the rest is always wrong. But then, what can you expect from somebody who uses Reaper as his 6th DAW. 6 DAW's! I guess he had this very same discussion also with the users of the other 5 DAW's about those DAW's.
And what about you. How many daw have you utilized in your life?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
please make v6 for talented EDM childrens without stupid scripts without docs and this ugly design from 90s
who read dat stupid docs and manuals? why can i just push turn and move fancy colored switches buttonsand knobs whatever so I can just create my fcking stuff from scratch without programmer shit and ugly geek menus I see now! MAKE REAPA DAW AGAIN!!!11!!!!1!!
All the other way around...but I’m getting used to it
Old 09-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #19
pcartwright

Sure, it's software, and obviously it can be improved. Let's not forget what the objective of the software is. From the Reaper main website:

https://www.reaper.fm/

Quote:
Do Anything
REAPER's full, flexible feature set and renowned stability have found a home wherever digital audio is used...
A keyword here is flexibility. Scripting and customization lend to the flexibility that Reaper is known for with the result that it is not as beginner user friendly as other DAWs. Or, to paraphrase your original post, it is not as non-technical musician friendly as other DAWs. And that's ok. There are other DAWs that fill this market need.

So by all means, suggest ideas for improvement; after all, the other side of the Reaper site says this:

Quote:
Constant Evolution
A new REAPER 5 license includes unlimited free updates through REAPER version 6.99. Frequency varies, but updates are typically released every few weeks.

These updates include bug fixes, feature improvements, and significant new features, all of which are free.
Just be realistic about changes to the software that are in line with the objectives of the Cockos (i.e. flexible feature set, stability, constant evolution).
Old 09-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #20
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Sure, it's software, and obviously it can be improved. Let's not forget what the objective of the software is. From the Reaper main website:

https://www.reaper.fm/

A keyword here is flexibility. Scripting and customization lend to the flexibility that Reaper is known for with the result that it is not as beginner user friendly as other DAWs. Or, to paraphrase your original post, it is not as non-technical musician friendly as other DAWs. And that's ok. There are other DAWs that fill this market need.

So by all means, suggest ideas for improvement; after all, the other side of the Reaper site says this:

Just be realistic about changes to the software that are in line with the objectives of the Cockos (i.e. flexible feature set, stability, constant evolution).

I think you hit a good point here with stability. About flexibility my proposals and critics, being unresrictive by any means, go towards that direction, on the opposite side is who oppose them.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
Calaban

So find a different DAW. Simple solution to your “problem”

Reaper is the first recording software I ever used, and I managed just fine. I see no reason to try anything else, really. I keep learning and that’s a good thing.

It’s not hard.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #22
pcartwright

Quote:
About flexibility my proposals and critics, being unresrictive by any means, go towards that direction, on the opposite side is who oppose them.
Not sure what you mean here.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
So find a different DAW. Simple solution to your “problem”

Reaper is the first recording software I ever used, and I managed just fine. I see no reason to try anything else, really. I keep learning and that’s a good thing.

It’s not hard.
Calaban, comparison is the only weapon human being have to judge. You probably can say a lot about reaper but for sure cannot say that is better then logic, as you don’t know it.
Besides, who has never changed a daw must be pretty young, therefore unexperienced. It's not a criticism or a bad thing. Just a fact. I would like so much to be very unexperienced!

Anyway, I’m trying hard to stay with reaper for many reason, one of them, is that as far as I’ve seen, there is not such a thing like a perfect daw and you just have to choose the ones that fits you the most, knowing that you will gain something and loose some others. Unfortunately this is also true for Reaper.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
Miul

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here.
Having one more option adds flexibility, doesn’t take it away. On the opposite side is who contrast it.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #25
pcartwright

Quote:
Having one more option adds flexibility, doesn’t take it away. On the opposite side is who contrast it.
Are you suggesting adding options to make Reaper more user / non-technical / musician friendly?

If so, please consider these questions:
  • Do you think you can list a series of options that would make Reaper more musician friendly? (I assume that you probably can, but don't be surprised if these options already exist [as were the majority of the options you listed in your original post])
  • Do you think that a significant number of users would find the same options beneficial? (This could be done with a poll; my hypothesis is that no one would agree on what a "user friendly" option would actually look like, though)
  • Can you support your suggested options with facts and not assumptions or personal preferences? (i.e., Option ABC would save users x time or improve y quality. This is the hard part)

If you (or others) can't objectively identify user experience improvements, then any suggestion would be based on opinion. If that's the case then:

your opinion = your opinion (no more, no less)
my opinion = my opinion (no more, no less)
UserA's opinion = UserA's opinion (no more, no less)
etc.

No one should expect Cockos to change direction based on singular opinions.

EDIT:
There are some features that Cockos has added that were probably based on opinion of a lot of people (i.e. the notation editor, the upcoming ARA2 support, etc.). In these cases, users point to a singular interface solution. There are so many poorly defined "user friendly" considerations that it would be very difficult to objectively favor one over the others; thus Reaper's tendency towards flexibility.

Last edited by pcartwright; 09-15-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #26
mschnell

In a pre, they even provided a prototype of a "Wire Routing interface", as a bunch of users requested that, even though, IMHO, there is no really decent way to do this so that it is easy to use fo small projects and still works for big ones - and includes FX routing in tracks .

-Michael
Old 09-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
Masi

Quote:
I've browsed through this thread but didn't quite get why you bother?

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #28
Paul99

Quote:
And what about you. How many daw have you utilized in your life?
Glad you asked. I started with Cubase 5 and couldn't get the grip on it. By that time there were not so many video's yet available. I then tried Trackstion was was very nice, but terrible buggy.
Then I discovered Reaper. I liked it immediately and learned very much by just watching Kenny's video's. Also there are a lot other video's on Youtube.
And let's not forget one big advantage of Reaper: this forum! It's great for people who ask for help. You should try this at any other DAW forum, no way you get this kind and thorough help! And then also consider the price of Reaper: $60 for about 5 years of updates. And those are real updates, not minor bug fixes. I guess I am a Reaper fan. Which makes me probably prejudiced....
Old 09-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #29
AugerJ

Quote:
Look, this is my 6th daw I use in my life...
Which DAW have you found the most comfortable to work in?
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
Miul

Quote:
Are you suggesting adding options to make Reaper more user / non-technical / musician friendly?
[*]Do you think that a significant number of users would find the same options beneficial?
[*]Can you support your suggested options with facts and not assumptions or personal preferences? (i.e., Option ABC would save users x time or improve y quality. This is the hard part)[/list]
If you (or others) can't objectively identify user experience improvements, then any suggestion would be based on opinion. If that's the case then:

your opinion = your opinion (no more, no less)
my opinion = my opinion (no more, no less)
Being all daws capable of making tasks in multiple ways, everybody find its way around it, and they are all different! Having said that, some common features within all daws can be definitely found. So yes, it think that beginner users, like I am, would find some of them very user friendly.

But you guys like to talk abstract and nobody, but evil dragon have replied on some issues based on facts.

So, I want to ask you, do you find user friendly that you have to write a custom action for ”all midi notes off on stop” or the opposite would be more user friendly (having the option not to stop them)? Have you also created an action for it or do you find useful to listen to midi hanging notes?
Do you set up reaper to navigate in the piano roll differently than the arrange window, to zoom with different keys?
Do you use the lens? If yes, you don’t miss it in the piano roll
Do you record with multiple mics? Do you record inserts? Have you done those 2 actions with a different modern daw?
These are common sense, yet opinions, but opinions corroborated by years of history, where I feel like saying that all the people starting out with reaper would benefit (but of course if you already have spent hours and hours setting it up could not be more careless about navigation).

Other issue are very subjective. For instance, S1 user, don't find useful to have more keywords. Coming from reaper if you look at them you will laugh on how poor they are. Yet, one of the team told me “I cannot think of any other keyword to implement”. At that time I didn t know reaper, otherwise I would have suggested him to have a look at it 10 minutes.
Just as you might say that you don't need a more advanced comping. But it is different to say that you don’t need it from saying that it is advanced, because the first is a legimitate opinion, while the second one is a lie I can show you with history fact. The comping in reaper is just a bit more developed then the first comping ever released by a daw about 11 years ago by logic...I guess it was 8.
The fact that you can not select more than 1 stretch marker takes you even more back in time. Facts.

Others thing I suggested, are definitely personal taste. As I wrote, my post was made of some random thought and it was not meant to be a definite list which I could never be able to make after 2 months usage, but enough to have a general opinion on some issues.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #31
Miul

Quote:
Glad you asked. I started with Cubase 5 and couldn't get the grip on it. By that time there were not so many video's yet available. I then tried Trackstion was was very nice, but terrible buggy.
Then I discovered Reaper. I liked it immediately and learned very much by just watching Kenny's video's. Also there are a lot other video's on Youtube.
And let's not forget one big advantage of Reaper: this forum! It's great for people who ask for help. You should try this at any other DAW forum, no way you get this kind and thorough help! And then also consider the price of Reaper: $60 for about 5 years of updates. And those are real updates, not minor bug fixes. I guess I am a Reaper fan. Which makes me probably prejudiced....
Price is great. Personally I don’t care about it with my main working tool, so I switched to reaper because I had the feel was the best compromise between production and mixing. I guess by now I can say I was right for mixing and wrong for production.

And yes, I do this with every daw. I have a critic approach to things. Sorry I don’t like the fan approach, I prefer to stay with my user approach,pushing to develop better and look ahead, as I've done all my life having the courage to switch daw when I realized things had gone towards a direction that was not the one I wanted.
And about your previous post, considering you started out with cubase 6 and made already 2 changes, you switched more then I did....what should I say now: what can you expect from a guy who used 3 daws in just few years? I find it pretty meaningless and a bit insulting in the tone, I don’t subscribe it.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #32
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
I've browsed through this thread but didn't quite get why you bother?

Masi
Why do you?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #33
pcartwright

Quote:
So, I want to ask you, do you find user friendly that you have to write a custom action for ”all midi notes off on stop” or the opposite would be more user friendly (having the option not to stop them)?
Reaper can send MIDI note-off on stop, so why would I need a script for this? Check preferences -> playback. There is an option to send note-off on stop. Would you like this to be checked by default? Ok, I guess. You certainly don't need a script or custom action for it though.

Quote:
Have you also created an action for it or do you find useful to listen to midi hanging notes?
F3 will send an emergency note-off if you have hanging notes... no script needed.

Quote:
Do you set up reaper to navigate in the piano roll differently than the arrange window, to zoom with different keys?
No. I use the default behavior for zooming and navigation.

Quote:
Do you use the lens? If yes, you don’t miss it in the piano roll
Are you talking about the system magnifier? No, I don't use that.

Quote:
Do you record with multiple mics?
Sometimes. I've never had a problem.

Quote:
Do you record inserts?
If you are talking about send/receives, then no. I only use plugin effects; no inserts needed. If you are talking about recording digital insert effects, then also no. I apply effects post recording, not during the recording (personal workflow taste).

Quote:
Have you done those 2 actions with a different modern daw?
I've used ProTools and Sonar extensively in the past (ProTools in a post audio studio and Sonar for personal MIDI mock ups). I have used Studio One in a limited capacity. I prefer Reaper (obviously, or I wouldn't be here), but that's my preference.

Quote:
These are common sense, yet opinions, but opinions corroborated by years of history, where I feel like saying that all the people starting out with reaper would benefit (but of course if you already have spent hours and hours setting it up could not be more careless about navigation).
I generally spend a little time here or there if there is a tweak that would make my current project work more efficient. Maybe it's added up to hours and hours over time, but I certainly didn't sit down for hours at a time to tweak.

I'll admit that Reaper does things different than other DAWs in many respects. I would argue that different isn't bad. There are some things that Reaper can do as a result that DAWs like ProTools and Sonar would struggle with. I particularly hated trying to sidechain effects in Sonar. It was usually impossible. Reaper's parameter modulation allows you to sidechain effects for just about anything you can think of. That's not to say there's not room for improvement, but I'm able to apply compression and eq in ways I could only dream of in Sonar.

Quote:
Just as you might say that you don't need a more advanced comping. But it is different to say that you don’t need it from saying that it is advanced, because the first is a legimitate opinion, while the second one is a lie I can show you with history fact. The comping in reaper is just a bit more developed then the first comping ever released by a daw about 11 years ago by logic...I guess it was 8.
The fact that you can not select more than 1 stretch marker takes you even more back in time. Facts.
I know comping and the take system is frustrating for some users and it comes up on the forum every now and then. By all means, post feedback there with examples of how other DAWs do it more efficiently.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #34
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
Which DAW have you found the most comfortable to work in?
There is not a perfect fitting one, otherwise I would have stayed there obviously.

I loved Notator...although it was not yet a daw...and had its problems.

I never liked much cubase, which I learned to use because it was the daw in my production at that time...I guess it was 2. Before deciding to go with Reaper I was undecided between the two of them. I thought Reaper might have had a more modern approach...not sure anymore.

Then I went for Logic. I switched as 4.6 was the first daw to have a sampler integrated into it. I loved it for many years...than apple bought it and started becoming a big garage band...not for me, so with the release of 10, I quit.

So I switched to Studio one V2.4 or 5, cannot remember. I loved it, it was the direction of my perfect daw, just didn't like a few things, but it was fast and super innovative. The daw making the daw and integrating other optional tools into it (ARA). But then 3 was released, the innovative approach was missing on the mix side and all the effort had been put to developed native production plugin (which I cannot be careless). Furthermore it was buggy, and so one more time, after version 4 was released and the change of direction confirmed, I decided to switch again....

...and here I am in reaper. I guess is the most irregular daw I've ever used: so clever in certain aspect and so under developed in others. I hope V6 is not going to be too far. If they will improve takes, stretch markers, ara should be coming indeed earlier (although it seems like the fabled Phoenix of old) I will stay with it. Otherwise I will go looking for something that fits me better elsewhere.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #35
Miul

Quote:
Reaper can send MIDI note-off on stop, so why would I need a script for this? Check preferences -> playback.
Same! Do you run it abilitate it? Why is this option not on by default? They had to make a choice: default on or off....and they chose off?!? I have a friend who started using it before me, I gave him this action and he was so happy. What does that mean? Simply that I'm not the only one who gets lost in the millions of options you have with reaper. And this is one of the main point, to make life easier to users not more difficult!

Quote:
No. I use the default behavior for zooming and navigation.
Is there a default working setup? Well, I followed Kenny's Gioia system for the most of it. He changed everything so I assumed that it was good to do so. Just as many here advised me, implying an attitude of assuming things rather than knowing them, as I can be pretty sure you guys don't know whether I looked those videos.

Quote:
Are you talking about the system magnifier? No, I don't use that.
Ok, you don't have to. But anyway, wouldn't your logic let you think, that if somebody like to use the lens in the arrange window would also like to use it in the piano roll?

Quote:
Sometimes. I've never had a problem. If you are talking about send/receives, then no.
No, I was talking about recording inserts. I had many problems with multiple mics because of the group items system, but maybe it is just because of its counter intuitiveness and in 8 months I will have found a way.

Quote:
I'll admit that Reaper does things different than other DAWs in many respects.
It doesn't bother me as well. I would say that actions and options are also counter intuitive the way they are written. To me it seems like they put effort to make it more complicated than it is. In regards of the routing it's amazing and I totally agree with you. Who couldn't?

About the comps just 2 words: getting rid of the splitting system would be the first step to start calling it a comping system. I can keep going, but if they don't change this first, the discussion cannot even start.

Cheers
Old 09-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #36
AugerJ

I think I can relate, in a way...

Admittedly, the parts of the systems as complex as DAWs easily may be (and often are) evolved unevenly.
S1, Cubase and Logic have only got the Mixer Undo option recently, which has been in Pro Tools and REAPER for ages. But it seems unlikely that REAPER can outbest all the other DAWs in every aspect (by the end of the next week).
And I don't think that developers must be forced to tie up all the loose ends in v.6 of REAPER (and more precisely, tomorrow by noon).

In my opinion, what REAPER does better than the other DAWs is this:
REAPER offers more space for customization.
And REAPER already can do a lot of what other DAWs can (and some things they can't) and is a fast learner )

Do I want to customize anything? I guess not.
But I kinda have to, since no DAW seems to offer by default what I'd like it to.
So I come here and ask one question (or make one request/suggestion) at a time... And usually REAPER gets more comfortable to work in. Thanks to kind users ) And to the developers.
I guess REAPER spoiled me because even Logic (which I used to like... and maybe still do) doesn't seem good/fast enough anymore...

What I'm trying to say is probably this:
in my opinion, REAPER is worth the time and the effort,
and kind users here, I believe, are better spoken to in not an unfriendly manner.
One thread to solve one thing — worked for me (mostly)...
Cheers.

P. S. One thread to discuss one matter, and named properly, — this way it's easier to find it using search engines.

Last edited by AugerJ; 09-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #37
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerJ View Post
I think I can relate, in a way...

Admittedly, the parts of the systems as complex as DAWs easily may be (and often are) evolved unevenly.
S1, Cubase and Logic have only got the Mixer Undo option recently, which has been in Pro Tools and REAPER for ages. But it seems unlikely that REAPER can outbest all the other DAWs in every aspect (by the end of the next week).
And I don't think that developers must be forced to tie up all the loose ends in v.6 of REAPER (and more precisely, tomorrow by noon).

In my opinion, what REAPER does better than the other DAWs is this:
REAPER offers more space for customization.
And REAPER already can do a lot of what other DAWs can (and some things they can't) and is a fast learner )

Do I want to customize anything? I guess not.
But I kinda have to, since no DAW seems to offer by default what I'd like it to.
So I come here and ask one question (or make one request/suggestion) at a time... And usually REAPER gets more comfortable to work in. Thanks to kind users ) And to the developers.
I guess REAPER spoiled me because even Logic (which I used to like... and maybe still do) doesn't seem good/fast enough anymore...

What I'm trying to say is probably this:
in my opinion, REAPER is worth the time and the effort,
and kind users here, I believe, are better spoken to in not an unfriendly manner.
One thread to solve one thing — worked for me (mostly)...
Cheers.

P. S. One thread to discuss one matter, and with the right headline, — this way it's easier to find it using search engines.
I've been kind as much as you've been, and I never attacked anyone personally, I've been under attack for my thoughts which I can't really understand.
I've also been helped a lot so far in this forum and will surely need more, this is a great resource, but I also will always say what I think, in respect of other people thought.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #38
poplomop

poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #39
mschnell

Quote:
I'm not the only one ...
Nobody will claim that you are the only one who likes the exact same preferences. But for those who like exactly these, there are lots of others who like different ones, and even more who like even completely incomparable ones.

That is why Reaper's flexibility is a good thing, even though it obviously seems demanding to manage for many. These simply will feel better with software that is more restrictive.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-15-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #40
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplomop View Post
Nice hat poplomop! I wouldn't wear it though because is not something I would ask.