Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #1
LCipher
Human being with feelings

Default best guitar amp sim for use in REAPER

Title says it all. Heard there are issues with some in REAPER with positive grid?

Not *just* looking for the "most super realistic etc" - want ease of use, good tone, etc too. But it does have to sound good. Don't want to cobble together a bunch of plugins to make a sound either. Just one to use for pretty much everything.

Looking at:
* Amplitude 4 Max (I have Fender so I can get the max for about $125)
* Guitar Rig 5 (seems a little old, I have the player)
* Positive Grid / Bias ?? (seems confusing what to buy)
* Waves GTR? Old?
* Overloud THD (meh?)

I play jazz, some classic type rock, indie/country, would like decent acoustic simulator, etc. NO METAL - I know metal players have super (legit) specific requirements etc. Does not apply to me.

NO S-GEAR! That's what I was using. Yes, it's good but others are pretty darn good too these days. Scuffham can go f**k themselves with their CR scheme. I want "reasonable" CR not something I have to beg for a license if I change/add a harddrive and forget to deactivate or whatever.

Opinions? Leaning toward Amplitude...
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I'm not a guitar player, but it might help if you say what amp you'd like to simulate. And, someone's probably going to ask what guitar(s) you play. Is your avatar a clue?

...I didn't know that acoustic sims existed. I'd be surprised if they sound realistic, although maybe you could get away with it in a mix.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
NO S-GEAR! That's what I was using. Yes, it's good but others are pretty darn good too these days. Scuffham can go f**k themselves with their CR scheme....
OT: What is their CR scheme, I've had SG for a few years now and would like to know what the problem is that has caused you pain in the event I have a problem/rebuild etc. in the future. If amplitube is IK, I generally just stay away from IK as I don't like their avoidance of proper OS guidlines historically which causes it's own set of usability issues from time to time.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
OT: What is their CR scheme, I've had SG for a few years now and would like to know what the problem is that has caused you pain in the event I have a problem/rebuild etc. in the future. If amplitube is IK, I generally just stay away from IK as I don't like their avoidance of proper OS guidlines historically which causes it's own set of usability issues from time to time.
Scuffman is the only sim I use if I need a sim. Their copy protection is one of the few I actully prefer. No isses ever for me.
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/support...t-deactivation
Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Scuffman is the only sim I use if I need a sim. Their copy protection is one of the few I actully prefer. No isses ever for me.
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/support...t-deactivation
Just wanted to make sure if I had a failure I could still use the same CR and not get sucked into the iLok scheme, if they do that to me, they lose a customer instantly which means I then have to go back and freeze stems of who knows what projects used it. I can get by fine with POD Farm or other stuff I have if I have to (since I still mic amps most of the time anyway), it's really historical projects I care about.

Sounds like the OP is saying sometihng like "My machine crashed, I didn't have a chance to deactivate" and they gave him grief.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure if I had a failure I could still use the same CR and not get sucked into the iLok scheme, if they do that to me, they lose a customer instantly which means I then have to go back and freeze stems of who knows what projects used it. I can get by fine with POD Farm or other stuff I have if I have to (since I still mic amps most of the time anyway), it's really historical projects I care about.

Sounds like the OP is saying sometihng like "My machine crashed, I didn't have a chance to deactivate" and they gave him grief.
I hear ya....Maybe the support has changed, but almost 2 years ago I had a hard drive issue and had zero problems getting them to sort it out for me. Unusually friendly and helpful for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I hear ya....Maybe the support has changed, but almost 2 years ago I had a hard drive issue and had zero problems getting them to sort it out for me. Unusually friendly and helpful for me.
OK, that's encouraging, thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
ivansc

Kuassa Vermilion, S-Gear2 and (believe it or not) Peavey revalver4 are doing it for me.

I also have and use Waves GTR3 a lot for rhythm work.

Amplitube I have plus a bunch of extras I got but IKMM's business practises affect me in the same way Scuffham do you, so it gathers dust right now.

With you on Overloud and similarly Bias. Lot of fuss about not much.

Guitar rig 5 player I am surprised how often it gets used when I look at my project folders.

But really, Vermilion is just er real.

Last edited by ivansc; 11-08-2017 at 11:36 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
hwhalen

If we're really only talking amp sims...LePou cost $0
Spend any money on a tube amp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1B...hTaVBFNzQ/view
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Not a chance.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
Judders

It's so personal, you have to demo them.

One to consider is Brainworx at Plugin Alliance. They might well have deals on their Bassdude around this time of year.

Whether you'll think it's good or not... who knows? Demo it!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
LCipher

Quote:
I sorta over-reacted. But they go by machine *configuration* not machine ID. What I got into was going from OS to OS - I keep two HD installs until all is well. That (on same motherboard) is TWO S-Gear activations. Forget to "de-activeate" and you lose it. Swap a HD etc. Lose a HD, etc

So you have to contact support - which they did re-activate my licensees, and they DO have an i-lok option (which I don't have etc).

But aside from that - it's good sounding, I (opinion) don't care for the UI though.

So -yeah, it's "ok".
Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
If we're really only talking amp sims...LePou cost $0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1B...hTaVBFNzQ/view
Have point-to-point wired Deluxe Reverb and 5E3 for that
Old 11-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
I sorta over-reacted. But they go by machine *configuration* not machine ID.
Cool, good to know. FWIW they do better than XLN does, any major OS update deauthorizes Addictive Keys and Drums. However, their credit you have 5 authorizations (IIRC) and I can just log in and remove an old one and add a new one even if the same machine. S-Gear though doesn't seem to be affected by major updates for whatever reason. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
LCipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Kuassa Vermilion
had never heard of it - will give it a try
Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
stratman

Well I would have said S-Gear 2, if I had to choose one. But I see that's ruled out.

After that, the one I use the most is the Amplitube 4 Fender Collection 2, which is great if you're into the classic Fender amp sounds. I've got the full set of Amplitube 4, but the Fender Collection 2 is my favourite.

For higher gain sounds I like Kazrog.
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #17
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Kazrog wins for me in terms of sounding like an amp. I don't use it for high gain either, you can get great breakup and crunch out of his vintage amp sims.

But, the OP said they want an easy, all-in-one solution, so that pretty much rules out Kazrog.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
LCipher

Quote:
Well I would have said S-Gear 2, if I had to choose one. But I see that's ruled out.

After that, the one I use the most is the Amplitube 4 Fender Collection 2, which is great if you're into the classic Fender amp sounds. I've got the full set of Amplitube 4, but the Fender Collection 2 is my favourite.

I do *have* S-Gear, and for whatever reason I'm just not into it. Hence my recent quest.
Also have the Amplitude Fender (don't have the 2 collection) is the #2 in the full collection of extra? Looking like I'll expand what I have with Amplitude.

Has anyone messed with Helix Native? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HelixNat
Too rich for my $$ - but interesting.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
TheMaartian

Quote:
had never heard of it - will give it a try
Kuassa Vermilion is terrific. Too bad it's not on 75% sale anymore. And it's worth it's list price! I also have bx_bassdude. While good, I like the Vermilion sim quite a bit more.

I also have TH3, Guitar Rig 5 and Waves GTR3. I'd pass on GTR3, unless Waves starts giving it away for free. TH3 and GR5 are both quite usable, but much more expensive.

I have some of the BIAS pedal pieces parts, but never really liked the sound or the way it's packaged (I don't think I'm THAT easy to confuse; come on, marketing!).

BONUS: for those of you with NI's Guitar Rig 5 and who like Hank Marvin's guitar sound on Apache, here's the patch, based on the following video. Each component in the rack is set to the defaults mentioned in the video. You'll need to tweak for your personal playing style and guitar.

Here's where the patch goes on my DAW.

C:\Users\Primary\Documents\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 5\Sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17pRIIYGGj8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/orvu8exz39...ache.ngrr?dl=0
TheMaartian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
stratman

Quote:
I do *have* S-Gear, and for whatever reason I'm just not into it. Hence my recent quest.
Also have the Amplitude Fender (don't have the 2 collection) is the #2 in the full collection of extra? Looking like I'll expand what I have with Amplitude.

Has anyone messed with Helix Native? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HelixNat
Too rich for my $$ - but interesting.
The Fender 2 Collection was extra when I purchased it.

I've got a Helix LT (i.e. the hardware) and I assume that Helix Native will sound the same. I'd say S-Gear 2 (sorry to keep going on about it ) and Amplitube Fender Collection 2 have the edge in terms of sound for me for the specific sounds they cover for my style. But the Helix is great and covers a very diverse range of sounds. The Litigator is probably my favourite amp in the Helix, which gives an indication of the type of sound I generally go for if you check out some Youtube clips.

Last edited by stratman; 11-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
Eddy

I use Guitar Rig - because of Komplete and not hearing anything so much better that it is worth using something else. I also have Amplitude Years ago there was a free amp that was great for clean crisp and jazzy sounds, cannot remember the name (unless it was Free Amp . I think you can agonise for far too long over this stuff as a way of avoiding playing - get something you like straight away for your main sound and learn to use it within the context of your playing

I also got Amplitude at some stage (must have been a great sale) and sometimes used that - but it is not even installed anymore although it is just as good as Guitar Rig
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #22
zeekat

Quote:
I want "reasonable" CR not something I have to beg for a license if I change/add a harddrive and forget to deactivate or whatever.
Rules out Waves GTR then. I like how it sounds but stupid sensitive licenser made me stop using it, had enough worrying when installing or removing completely unrelated stuff on the computer will deauthorize all my waves stuff.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #23
LCipher

Quote:
The Fender 2 Collection was extra when I purchased it.

I can't figure out what the Max (full collection) gives aside from the following are there "other" fx etc?
* MESA/Boogie
* AmpliTube Orange
* Ampeg® SVX
* AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix™ Anniversary Edition
* AmpliTube Slash
* AmpliTube Metal

I think with my needs - Amplitude with Fender2 (have Fender1) would be enough. Vs Amplitude MAX + Fender2
Old 11-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #24
cassembler

EDIT: Re-read OP, and I also gave Amplitube MAX a shot, really good first impressions. Endless. My Mercuriall suggestion would be more if you were going for some wicked rock/metal

Guitar Rig is also a good candidate, but with your styles, between GR and AT, I'd go AT.

Last edited by cassembler; 11-08-2017 at 08:32 PM.
cassembler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #25
stratman

Quote:
I can't figure out what the Max (full collection) gives aside from the following are there "other" fx etc?
* MESA/Boogie
* AmpliTube Orange
* Ampeg® SVX
* AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix™ Anniversary Edition
* AmpliTube Slash
* AmpliTube Metal

I think with my needs - Amplitude with Fender2 (have Fender1) would be enough. Vs Amplitude MAX + Fender2
I got Amplitube Max some time back. When I got it I think Amplitube Max covered everything that was available at the time.

Then they brought out Fender Collection 2 and SVX 2 which I subsequently purchased. I think that covers virtually everything except for a few effects that were brought out after (I think that might be the Fulltone collection).

My Amplitube favourites are Fender Collection 2 and SVX 2 (bass).

I think there are free demos to try to make sure you like them because we all have different tastes.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #26
LCipher

Quote:
I think there are free demos to try to make sure you like them because we all have different tastes.
Absolutely - will have to give them a try
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #27
Delucci

It's a very particular question, but I like Amplitube4 (Mesa boogie) and Overloud TH3. I play rock/metal.

Also, sometimes I use impulse response from Ownhammer
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #28
BobF

I also like AT4 Mesa particularly well.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #29
g4greg

+1 for the kuassa stuff.

Vermillion is absolutely wonderful for low gain crunch and clean sounds...

But as weird as it sounds, I really like their high gain "creme" for low gain as well.

I just like the "no frills" approach of the creme.. and the tube setting really sounds nice when it's on the verge of breaking up.

No the kuassa stuff doesn't try to emulate anything, but that's probably why I like them. They just sound good, and are soooo easy to tweak. Like a real amp
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #30
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Ignite....grab all their stuff

Even if you buy some of the other good ones, the free stuff from Ignite is something I use every single day

TSE

Both of these run extremely well, TSE may also be WDL if I remember right

BIAS sounds great, but as you see, it can be hard to tell just what to get from them and documentation is scary poor. Also BIAS is very "sticky" in REAPER, seemingly for the same reasons that it writes a bunch of hash to the RPP the way Slate and Revalver did before the fixes
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
RDBOIS
Banned

Hello.

I use, all are free btw,:

Free Amp 3

Many clean tones w/wout some grit, loads of effects to boot as you please (dial them in or set them to the BPM of your project and choose the lenght) - if you check out my soundcloud and listen to my The Cure cover song you'll hear this vst AMP (all guitars were DI into FA3)

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=580

The Emissary by Ignite Amps

This amp has no frills, but it will dial in a very nice sound to your acoustic guitar. I like it very much; brings instant richness; turns a cheap microphone recording into something better...

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/emissary-by-ignite-amps

The Shred Suite

This free plugin has many presets, but you can modify everything (cabinet, room, delay, reverb, eq, etc.) Hours of fun testing out the various presets; will dial in for you some very cool blues tones, soft to hard rock, and well heavy metal (not your things, but it is there if you need). Clean? Meh... Not so good; The Emissary has an unbeatable sweetness to it, go with that!

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2409

That it. I only use free VST plugins, and these are my favorites for clean, clean-ish, and some colored tones (e.g. blues, rock, alternative, etc.)
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #32
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Hello.

I use, all are free btw,:

Free Amp 3

that is the one I used to use - it is great for glassy clean tones. It used to have that synthedit problem of not allowing multiple instances - is that still the case?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #33
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
that is the one I used to use - it is great for glassy clean tones. It used to have that synthedit problem of not allowing multiple instances - is that still the case?
Haaa yes, but you can trick Reaper!

Do it like this:

Go to the Reaper plugin folder and locate the vst: FA36_Full.dll

Copy and paste the dll and rename it like this, for example (note the 2): FA36_Full2.dll

Do it again: FA36_Full3.dll

FA36_Full4.dll
FA36_Full5.dll

etc...

Name it whatever you want, the point is that Reaper will think it is a different VST and the conflict will disappear. I run three instances without a problem! In the example above you would have 5.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #34
foxAsteria

Whatever amp you use, the key element it getting a realistic sim tone is quality speaker/cab impulse response files. I use AmpliTube amps most often but their speaker sims aren't great so I'm almost always adding Pulse. There are tons of free IR files on the web, but it takes time to sort through and find the really good ones. SimulAnalog Fender Twin is a great freebie too.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #35
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Haaa yes, but you can trick Reaper!

Do it like this:

Go to the Reaper plugin folder and locate the vst: FA36_Full.dll

Copy and paste the dll and rename it like this, for example (note the 2): FA36_Full2.dll

Do it again: FA36_Full3.dll

FA36_Full4.dll
FA36_Full5.dll

etc...

Name it whatever you want, the point is that Reaper will think it is a different VST and the conflict will disappear. I run three instances without a problem! In the example above you would have 5.
excellent! +1
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #36
ivansc

Quote:
5E3
Wise man! I built a clone a few years back and LOVE it.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #37
Magicbuss

Kuassa Vermilion IS good for vintage-y clean and crunch but I bought S-gear after A/Bing them.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #38
ivansc

MB: I have both & to be honest I still find Vermilion better than SG2 for clean stuff.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #39
Goldreap

Voxengo Boogex (free) rarely gets a mention in these sort of threads...give it a whirl, great for jazz, clean, crunch, whatever.
Not complicated, has a good selection of cab/mic IRs (so don't have to go through all that option-anxiety of dealing with the 1000's of free ones scattered around the web...although that's fun on a rainy day, and Boogex will load your own IRs if you want).
Has a really handy 'emphasis EQ', where you can draw a graph which shapes which frequencies are being fed to the gain section..nice for overdriven things...E.G. keep the low strings clean and tight but have some hair just where you want it. I've got a lot of amp sims but I come back to Boogex a lot. The new 64 bit version is excellent.

Last edited by Goldreap; 11-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #40
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Voxengo Boogex (free) rarely gets a mention in these sort of threads...give it a whirl, great for jazz, clean, crunch, whatever.
Not complicated, has a good selection of cab/mic IRs (so don't have to go through all that option-anxiety of dealing with the 1000's of free ones scattered around the web...although that's fun on a rainy day).
Has a really handy 'emphasis EQ', where you can draw a graph which shapes which frequencies are being fed to the gain section..nice for overdriven things...E.G. keep the low strings clean and tight but have some hair just where you want it. I've got a lot of amp sims but I come back to Boogex a lot. The new 64 bit version is excellent.
I used several Voxengo plugins, but have never paid Boogex any attention. I just doesn't LOOK like an amp sim. Kept right on going.

Time to give it a go. Thanks for the heads-up!
TheMaartian is online now   Reply With Quote