Old 05-09-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
jono
Human being with feelings

Default Automation with Dolby Music Panner

I've had a few good days mixing with Reaper into the DAR, generated ADM's etc. It's reallllly nice using Reaper again. Some weird behavior sometimes - sudden, big nasty glitches and static-y noise...but if I go to DAR prefs and just hit 'accept' - all works well again. I have to do it several times per day, but it works.

The one thing I haven't figured out is how to automate objects with the Dolby Music Panner. It's easy to create the automation, but upon playback the automation just doesn't execute. Has anyone figured this out? I can't find much on the Dolby Support Forum. Some references to back-grading to DAMP 1.2 (which I've done), but nothing else.

Thanks! jon
Old 05-20-2023, 06:19 PM   #2
sguyader

Hi, there are 2 ways to automate with the Dolby Atmos Music Panner (DAMP).

1) Use the Reaper automation: switch the automation mode from trim/read to write, check the parmaters you want to be automated in the envelopes dialog (Pan X, Pan Y for example) and then while playing back audio move the object around, you should see the automation be recorded. Switch back to trim/read, and you'll see the parameters automated.

2) Use the automation sequencer within the DAMP: turn the sequencer on, click "Edit", draw the automation you want, click "Done". Then when you play back you'll see the object automated, even though you won't see any automation recorded in the Reaper automation envelopes.

I've tried, and both solutions work.
sguyader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:30 AM   #3
sguyader

I noticed something regarding the Dolby Atmos Music Panner: the VST3 plugin doesn't seem to send the automation to the Atmos Renderer, but the AU version does work correctly.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
audiotect

HI there
I come from the feature request forum. Stumbled into a thread (I see some of the same folks in this thread&#128077 - but was adviced to go to spatial forum.

I checking out Dolby Atmos - mainly for use in headphones but also a format to be resizable for different speaker set ups.

But I have a few issues.
- I need having my sound/music running i seamless loops. I´m doing music and sound design for museums and everything runs in sync, in a loop.
And I would like to stay in reaper - Reaper is excellent natively for making seamless loops - even in conjunction with Spat revolution on low buffer setting.

I used a 40 sek long loopable sound

I´m on mac

The results so far:
The Reaper/Dolby Atmos composer solution cannot make seamless loops - or I cannot make them seamless. There is a little "jump" when looping.

Logic Pro when rendering using Dolby Renderer it adds a "jump" in the file around 10 - 20 ms in. Could be a bug or me doing something wrong. Don´t know - it happens with every render.I plays back in logic seamless.
When rendering using Apple Renderer it adds a click when looping.sounds like it is in the end of the file. Not sure. I´ve tried both Bed and object setting. same.

Nuendo works seamless and the panner is very good but...no Reaper.

Now I have the trail version of Dolby atmos renderer (DAR) and used "Immersive audio mixer"´s (Matnoir) video for set up. and it works like in the video.
fine playback no glitches etc.

BUT
I can't figure out how to make a master file with an exact length. I can understand that you should also do pre roll and in Protools it seems to work, but I don't have access to Pro tools.

It is probably a set up in Reaper like "Play only time selection" but maybe also how fast Reaper communicates with the Dolby Atmos renderer

Cannot find any info
And I would like to do the test.
Best
Søren/Audiotect
audiotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:04 AM   #5
sguyader

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotect View Post
HI there
I come from the feature request forum. Stumbled into a thread (I see some of the same folks in this thread&#128077 - but was adviced to go to spatial forum.

I checking out Dolby Atmos - mainly for use in headphones but also a format to be resizable for different speaker set ups.

But I have a few issues.
- I need having my sound/music running i seamless loops. I´m doing music and sound design for museums and everything runs in sync, in a loop.
And I would like to stay in reaper - Reaper is excellent natively for making seamless loops - even in conjunction with Spat revolution on low buffer setting.

I used a 40 sek long loopable sound

I´m on mac

The results so far:
The Reaper/Dolby Atmos composer solution cannot make seamless loops - or I cannot make them seamless. There is a little "jump" when looping.

Logic Pro when rendering using Dolby Renderer it adds a "jump" in the file around 10 - 20 ms in. Could be a bug or me doing something wrong. Don´t know - it happens with every render.I plays back in logic seamless.
When rendering using Apple Renderer it adds a click when looping.sounds like it is in the end of the file. Not sure. I´ve tried both Bed and object setting. same.

Nuendo works seamless and the panner is very good but...no Reaper.

Now I have the trail version of Dolby atmos renderer (DAR) and used "Immersive audio mixer"´s (Matnoir) video for set up. and it works like in the video.
fine playback no glitches etc.

BUT
I can't figure out how to make a master file with an exact length. I can understand that you should also do pre roll and in Protools it seems to work, but I don't have access to Pro tools.

It is probably a set up in Reaper like "Play only time selection" but maybe also how fast Reaper communicates with the Dolby Atmos renderer

Cannot find any info
And I would like to do the test.
Best
Søren/Audiotect
Hi Søren.
You can do the pre-roll thing in Reaper:
1) leave a couple seconds between the beginning of the timeline and the start of your loop item
2) place the Reaper play head at the start of the loop item and note the time (in time, for example 0:03.00)
3) place the play head at the end of the loop item and note the time (out time, for example 0:43.00)
4) in the Dolby Atmos Renderer, toggle the Record in/out switch, and enter manually the in (00:00:03:00) an out (00:00:43:00) times that you noted from steps 2) and 3)
5) hit the Record button in the DAR, it should blink (of course, don't forget to create a new master file from the DAR)
6) in Reaper, place the play head at the beginning of the timeline (00:00:00) and hit Play

The DAR should start chasing and recording the audio from Reaper, and it will know what the in and out times are, and when you stop rendering it should have the correct audio start and end points.

Last edited by sguyader; 05-26-2023 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:44 AM   #6
audiotect

thanks👍 - it worked - after fixing some frame rate mismatch.
I was testing different frame rates - but changing the frame rate in reaper, has to be done both in the project settings and in the time code generator file.

I then exported the master as an ADM BWF file - then imported in reaper via EAR - and it is not looping seamless. a small "hump" when looping.hmmm

I then imported it in Nuendo 12 - a small "hump"

I then exported the file from Reaper/DAR in binarual, 5.1. and ambix - all with a small "hump" in the loop (checked in reaper)

Then I imported the actual loop in Nuendo (nice seamless looping from the file itself) and did a dolby set up - exported it as ADM - imported it again just to check - nice seamless looping.

Now I have to figure out how to export from Nuendo in different formats....just to check. And figure out how to make a dolby atmos binaural - I have no idea yet - i seems like the call it Dolby Atmos music.

I will not do any conclusions yet - I could have made some mistakes
and I could use acces to a Dolby atmos player to hear what happens.

I very close to hijacking this thread..right...?
Sorry. I will make a thread about this looping issue/experience when I´m done.

Best
Søren/Audiotect
audiotect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:45 AM   #7
jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguyader View Post
Hi, there are 2 ways to automate with the Dolby Atmos Music Panner (DAMP).

1) Use the Reaper automation: switch the automation mode from trim/read to write, check the parmaters you want to be automated in the envelopes dialog (Pan X, Pan Y for example) and then while playing back audio move the object around, you should see the automation be recorded. Switch back to trim/read, and you'll see the parameters automated.

2) Use the automation sequencer within the DAMP: turn the sequencer on, click "Edit", draw the automation you want, click "Done". Then when you play back you'll see the object automated, even though you won't see any automation recorded in the Reaper automation envelopes.

I've tried, and both solutions work.
Yes - thank you. My problem was solved (with the help of Dolby support) by using the AU version of the DAMP, and turning off anticipative FX processing in Reaper. Reaper into the DAR is now working perfectly.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
sguyader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Yes - thank you. My problem was solved (with the help of Dolby support) by using the AU version of the DAMP, and turning off anticipative FX processing in Reaper. Reaper into the DAR is now working perfectly.
Anticipative FX processing is ON on my system and it seems fine.