Old 08-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

Default Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition

As with any new release for any piece of software, the Reaper community has all sorts of minor complaints about the new theme that will most likely never be addressed. So I figured - why not have a user-driven theme to fix it, similar to the Unofficial Patches you can download for games like Skyrim?

Ladies and gentlemen, noobs of all ages, I invite you to feast your eyes on the wonder and magnific... alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The easier customization and mildly enhanced useability of Default 5.0 - Nitpicky Edition:

Installation

Via ReaPack:

Copy and paste this URL in Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository: https://github.com/ReaTeam/Themes/raw/master/index.xml. "Default 5.0 Nitpicky Edition" should show up as a search result, or if you filter the category by Themes.

Manually:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqkb6kv8qo...rThemeZip?dl=1
Note: Due to file size limits I can't use stash.reaper.fm anymore. The above link is to my Dropbox - please let me know if it goes dead.

Changes

v15 - 06/23/18:

- Added dots to indicate the depth of tracks in folders

- Theme is now available on ReaPack, which will allow for auto-updating if and when there's another release.

v14 - 04/29/17:

- Fixed some image resizing issues with the new untinted layouts. Whoopsie.

v13 - 04/28/17:

- Added untinted versions of the Large and Small TCP/MCP layouts

v12 - 04/17/17:

- Gave the transport elements from v11 a smooth gradient rather than matching the toolbars' harder two-color appearance.

- Fixed an issue from v11; the dark grey line at the top and bottom of the transport bar are gone, pending a better solution.

v11 - 04/16/17:

- Restyled the transport status, time signature, bpm, playrate, and selection boxes to match the toolbar buttons' appearance, rather than the flat, undefined grey they had before.

v10 - 10/31/16:

- Added a Strip Minimal layout in the mixer for chrisdodge.

v9 - 10/27/16:

- Added images for Latch Preview mode on envelopes.

- Now includes the additional Master Mixer Panel layouts that were added to the default theme a few months back.

v8 - 03/27/16:

- Monitoring buttons in the Session Mixer layout now light up blue just like the other layouts. Cheers to some guy named Brad who emailed me the new image.

- On the track panel, the FX and FX On buttons now look like two separate buttons instead of a strange flat mishmash. I'd like to tweak them more, but it seems like a lot of work.

- Changed my mind on the centered text thing from the previous version.

v7 - 01/16/16:

- Fixed the position of folder icons in the TCP Separator layout.

- Folder tracks using the Minimal layout in the TCP now have their label text centered because I think it looks nice, goddamn it.

v6 - 10/17/15:

- Added proper images for the monitoring buttons in Small and Standard-sized layouts, so we don't have to rely on Reaper's ugly automatic resizing for them. Cheers to timothys_monster for the images.

v5 - 10/03/15:

- Changed the colors for dual pan sliders to match the RCA color standard (left = white, right = red) because I guess some people get REALLY cranky about that sort of thing. *shrug*

v4 - 09/10/15:

- Added Minimal layouts for the track panel and master track panel. These remove everything except the track names and the track number ribbon, so people like me who don't use anything on the TCP can make it extra small.

- Added a wider Separator layout to the mixer.

- Tried to make the MIDI editor match the rest of the theme a little more. It ended up looking a bit like Ableton Live, but it's closer than it was before.

v3 - 08/23/15:

- Meter backgrounds are now invisible, and don't inherit your custom coloring. (Tracks with a lot of channels will break this if they get too small, due to how Reaper handles their meters)

- Added blank separator layouts to both the TCP and MCP. They do show a small strip when selected for ease of working with them. For bonus points, you can use the Track Manager to decide if you want each separator visible in the TCP, MCP, or both.
Be aware that these separators are still normal, fully-functional tracks. I'd recommend making yourself a track template with Recording disabled (right-click the record arm button), Master/Parent Send turned off (track I/O window), and controls Locked.

- Added an example untinted Standard layout. Could do this easily for all of them, but the menu would get insanely cluttered.

- Added a Session Mixer Sidebar layout, courtesy of xpander.

v2:

- Replaced the odd-looking glossy volume knob on the track panel with the same image as the pan knob, for now. I'm open to better ideas.

- Replaced the somewhat-invisible track monitoring button on the track panel with a nicer version, courtesy of Sexan. Also adjusted all of the layouts so the monitoring button attaches to the track input, giving it the same appearance as the envelope button next to it.

v1 highlights include (okay, this is literally all I did):

- Restored the color tinting options in the Preferences menu. You still have to set colors for your tracks or they'll remain that sad, lifeless, concrete gray, just sitting there, sapping the life and energy from your mix.
Apparently v5 themes override your choices for tinting on media items and just use the images included in the theme. If item tinting is really important for you, you'll have to unpack the theme and delete "item_bg.png" and "item_bg_sel.png" from the image folder.[/i]

- Removed the solid green meter images, so the meters can be colored in Reaper's theme editor. The meters are also set to my own personal color preference, so if you don't like them... well, that's why there's a theme editor. Duh.

- Empty effect, parameter, and send slots in the mixer are a little darker so they stand out better from the background.

On the to-do list:

- Matching monitoring buttons for some of the different layouts. This would be a bit time-consuming, so don't get your hopes up.
- Better contrast on the various scroll bars and things like that.

---

Feel free to make requests if there's something about the Default 5.0 theme bothering you. Do be aware that this theme is NOT meant to be a complete overhaul, since the 5.0 theme is honestly pretty sexy as is - all I want to do is tidy things up, sand down the rough edges, and try to deal with the complaints that seem to be the most common. You know, like when someone puts out a new guitar amp without a master volume and all the power-tube-saturation guys are screaming "WHYYYYYYYYYYYY???!"

Last edited by Lokasenna; 06-24-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
timothys_monster

Woohoo! Thanks for trying to get your hands dirty

Nice ideas so far! I already have a request, actually. You may have heard about this ridiculous volume knob in the TCP.

The user sergy172 had a good idea by just making it black:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1576/De...ReaperThemeZip

But unfortunately you can't just copy the png's, because the image won't fit to the 5.0 theme. It's not glued to the label and a bit too small...

So that would be a nice advantage
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Lokasenna

I've been fiddling with it for half an hour and I just can't make a dark knob look good while still being attached to the label - and personally, I think having it attached to the label is the only thing that even suggests it might be a volume knob.

Cut/pasting from the pan knob image is really easy though, so I can do that and at least we'd be rid of the stupid shiny part:

Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
EpicSounds

I'd like to use the session mixer black fader layout for the mixer but need a fixed height (520 pixels?) on the fader section. I only want the top part to expand.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
EpicSounds

also, the monitor enable button needs to be "not invisible" too.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
Sexan

The black vol knob was in early stages of V5 theme you can extract it from first alphas.
Regarding monitoring button I've done this

I used Master Track Mono/Stereo button and modified it a little

Last edited by Sexan; 08-16-2015 at 02:36 AM.
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote