Old 11-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
WernerF
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie question

Hi, I have a Digidesign HD 6 system running on a Mac and a Magma chassis. I have two 192 IO's and am trying to use Reaper as a DAW with one of them. After setting the Hardware device in Reaper to HD hardware I can see audio registering on the input track but no sound comes out of Reaper through the 192. Hopefully it is because I am doing something wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic.
WernerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
DottorPepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Hi, I have a Digidesign HD 6 system running on a Mac and a Magma chassis. I have two 192 IO's and am trying to use Reaper as a DAW with one of them. After setting the Hardware device in Reaper to HD hardware I can see audio registering on the input track but no sound comes out of Reaper through the 192. Hopefully it is because I am doing something wrong. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic.
If you mean no listening while recording you must enable audio monitoring by clicking on the little loudspeaker on the track controls
DottorPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
WernerF

Thanks for the reply. I have input monitoring on. Unfortunately I'm not getting any audio output at all. I also can't seem to get the track to send it's audio to the master track. I could be wrong about the input monitoring being on though. I'll check to see whether or not the speaker icon is engaged when I get back to the studio. Once again, thanks for the reply and suggestion.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
DarkStar

Hello WernerF and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

Ah, when we mention "Input Monitoring" here we generally mean the button on the Reaper Track Control Panel (TCP) - it is the speaker button you can see on track #7 here (you can probably ignore the second annotation, that was for selecting the input device):

Sending from a track to the Master is enabled by default, so you should see the track meter and the Master track meter move when Reaper receives the audio. Is that the case?

Have a look at section 3.5 in the User Guide.

Also, can you please post screenshots of the Audio device config is Reaper's Preferences?
How to describe your hardware set-up (in Post #3)
Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
WernerF

Thanks for the welcome and the info DarkStar. I'll try what you suggested as soon as I get back to the studio and report back about the results. I'll also check the user guide like you suggested and post a screen shot if still nothing works.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
WernerF

Just wanted to let you guys know that your suggestion about the input icon worked full on. That basic knowledge opened the possibilities of Reaper completely. I know that I should have known this and I just want to say thanks for the help.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 AM   #7
DarkStar

You're welcome

And don't worry -we all started somewhere and went through the learning curve. And, based on posts in this forum, Input Monitoring seems to trip up many people starting out with Reaper. I've never got to the bottom of why that is.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
WernerF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You're welcome

And don't worry -we all started somewhere and went through the learning curve. And, based on posts in this forum, Input Monitoring seems to trip up many people starting out with Reaper. I've never got to the bottom of why that is.
The input confusion probably comes from the fact that the method of getting input monitoring is different from DAW to DAW. In Pro Tools it's set up to give you input monitoring as soon as you record arm a track. That is patterned after a tape machine which works the same way if you choose auto input as your default record arm method. You can also just choose to monitor input without record arming a track which is the same way that Pro Tools works. As for the other DAW's I don't actually know.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
The input confusion probably comes from the fact that the method of getting input monitoring is different from DAW to DAW. In Pro Tools it's set up to give you input monitoring as soon as you record arm a track. That is patterned after a tape machine which works the same way if you choose auto input as your default record arm method. You can also just choose to monitor input without record arming a track which is the same way that Pro Tools works. As for the other DAW's I don't actually know.
You can set up Reaper to behave like this (preferences)
but for now I expect you just to be happy to find the right button
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
WernerF

Cool. Thanks for the info. The confusing thing is that it's not the default setting. Just part of the learning curve I guess.

Last edited by WernerF; 11-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.