Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #41
Susan G
Human being with feelings

Hi-

Exactly. The BCR input works and the BCR output works, but they don't work at the same time. (BCR2000 for both).

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Drumbum

Default To Susan

Did you go through the process I gave for Zenguru to try in an earlier post?

When I said that I think I know what might have happened, I should have said that the issue happened when I tried to reorganize my presets (I moved the preset and got the issue straight away) like you Susan.

I used BC manager (not MIDIOX which I had used originally with no issues on preset 15) to delete presets 2-15 and loaded Ajay's preset to #2. Subsequently, when I used MIDIOX to overwrite the behavior, I got no changes--the behavior was set and I chased my tail for hours.

Using the steps in my above post helped both Zenguru and me.

If you've already tried and got no joy, I am sorry.

It is weird that there is nothing really wrong in that Reason or Record just write back what was already there in the first place.

So (if you don't have Reason or Record) you should be able to go from scratch on another preset possibly (Using MIDIOX)--unless it is something that is getting messed up globally with the BRC2000.

Hope you get it sorted...
Drumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #43
Liquidmantis

Another small thing I just noticed is that if you delete a track it doesn't get removed from the BCR2000.

@Drumbum:
I downloaded one of Behringer's presets and loaded that over the Reaper preset, then reloaded the Reaper one but that didn't help. I'll try again with more power cycling for extra voodoo.
Liquidmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #44
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!

simply put, the free-time-given programmer can certainly sort out the feedback behaviour, its just a matter of getting time (or pay?)

if i could only figure out how to just assign my own controller table IE to get a bunch of sends and a coupla faders, on a page only, id be ready to use this thing, and would chip in $20-30 or so...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Liquidmantis

I'm fixed up! I win the stupid award for today. I guess it didn't take when I tried to put it in U-1 mode at first and it was in U-3. In U-1 you don't have the same MIDI port options, just BCR2000. Now it's working great as far as I can tell.

Few things I've noticed:
* The aforementioned lack of update when a track is deleted.
* The Send indicator on the MCP (when you have the tracks stretched so the dial and bar is shown) doesn't refresh until you mouse over it. Admittedly this is likely a Reaper issue. The Send pop-up window itself will update in real-time.
* It'd be great if you could set the panel to always have the 8th column as the Master track and just cycle the other seven. Chasing a moving Master is annoying. This'll probably be less of an issue when I standardize on a template though given the few number of tracks I work with currently.

Last edited by Liquidmantis; 01-26-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #46
Susan G

Hi Drumbum-

Quote:
So (if you don't have Reason or Record) you should be able to go from scratch on another preset possibly (Using MIDIOX)--unless it is something that is getting messed up globally with the BRC2000.
I'm definitely "chasing my tail" at this point! , so I'll try your suggestion to start from scratch using a different preset. I have all my presets saved, so I don't really have anything to lose going that route -- I can always restore them.

What seems weird is that aj's console (with the same preset) continues to work fine in SONAR, but in REAPER I get this "stuttering" under both XP and Win 7, with both the old (XP) and new (W7) drivers. I thought it might be something in my REAPER settings, but I went back to the defaults in XP and still had the same issues.

Thanks!

-Susan
Old 01-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #47
Susan G

I started with an empty preset, loaded aj's into it and saved it, but still no joy.

The BCR2000 works fine otherwise, but this is very frustrating!

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #48
Liquidmantis

Donation sent!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #49
Susan G

I still wonder what's going on with my setup...

-Susan
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #50
ajaym

Liquidmantis:

Many many thanks for your kind donation. It is much appreciated. With regard to the track delete issue, presumably if you shut down the console UI and then press SHIFT twice to bring it back up, the console correctly synchronises with the deleted track now removed. I sure hope so, anyway!.

I am not sure if Reaper gives me an event to hook into for track deletion, although since we are scanning many times a second, it's probably possible to pick this up. I'll have a look into it.

Also channel strip locking. I'm thinking about this. There's still one spare control sequence i.e shift + record arm (top rotary switch) which could be used for something.

I don't want to fall into the trap of the Mackie emulation mode for the BCF2000 where, in my opinion, we're trying to get the control surface to do too much and the key sequences get bewildering. One possibility is to make the shifted keys all programmable i.e

shift + mute
shift + solo
shift + rec arm
shift + play
shift + rec
shift + rewind
shift + ff

the other shifted sequences, I think, should remain as they are to avoid real confusion. If the above seven shifted keys could be assigned to a range of functions this would probably meet the various requirements, so that the present hard-coded assignments become programmable, and then we add

lock channel
show meter bridge (Sonar only, I don't think Reaper can do metering)
... other new assignable functions TBD ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Susan:

As someone else has already suggested, it appears that Reaper is echoing back 'out of sync' with the BCR. Now, this may be some kind of Windows 7 specific issue, I'm not sure if the other people who reported this problem were running Win 7 or XP (as I am).

BUT

There are two things worth trying

1 - this may be tricky for you, I appreciate. Can you connect the BCR via MIDI cables to a MIDI interface of some sort, configure the BCR into mode U-3 and unplug its USB cable and see if the problem persists with raw MIDI. I appreciate you may not have the cables or hardware to do this, of course.

2. With the existing setup and an empty Reaper project i.e just the master fader. Move the master fader in Reaper down to zero. Now I expect the BCR is also showing zero. Now, with MIDI-OX in the loop, so you can watch the MIDI events (i.e BCR-> MIDI-OX -> Reaper (connected via MIDI-OX virtual port), move the BCR encoder VERRRY slowly until a MIDI event occurs. What was transmitted to Reaper, and what did Reaper echo back?.

I'm wondering if what happens is this

We turn the encoder very slowly and it transmits CC nn 01 i.e first non-zero value

Reaper doesn't echo anything (or echos CC nn 00)

We turn the encoder again and it transmits CC nn 02

Reaper echoes CC nn 01 (i.e, out by one). This would be some kind of internal buffering issue inside Reaper. But why I am not seeing it is a mystery UNLESS it's Win 7 specific.

At present I am deeply suspicious that we have some kind of quirk in Reaper that I am not seeing here. The Reaper and Sonar versions of the plugin are pretty much the same identical code but with Reaper APIs instead of Sonar ones, so I can't immediately think of a likely defect in the code at this stage.

However, we'll find it. If you wouldn't mind doing a bit more detective work for me and posting back your findings, that would be much appreciated....

EDIT: Susan you clearly stated the problem occurs on XP.. sorry, I just re-ready your post. That's even weirder. Let's try the above, anyway, and see what happens....

Last edited by ajaym; 01-28-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: didn't read Susan's post properly
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #51
ajaym

Hi evanrabby

What would you like exactly?. I *think* you're asking for a page o'sends, is that right i.e, as I would see it, the bottom 24 rotaries would be 8 sends for the current track, with send gain, send pan and, what, aux return for the bottom 8, that would be kinda mixer-ish in concept. Is this what you had in mind?. I'm impressed you need so many sends, I rarely even use one, just out of curiosity, what do you use 'em all for?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #52
Liquidmantis

I meant to post my system info since it's working great for me. As far as I can tell the only problem I had was user error.

Win7 Ult x64
Reaper 3.21 x86
BCR2000 firmware 1.10
BCR2000 driver 1.0.10 x64
Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #53
Susan G

Hi aj-

The behavior is the same with standard MIDI cables.

When I start at 0 and rotate the volume encoder very slowly I see what you suspected I would: several 01s, then when the BCR finally moves to 02 I get 01 echoed back. If the BCR is at, say, 05, I'll see:

so I'm obviously fighting it all the time.

I don't know if that helps, but there it is!

BTW, yes, I get the same behavior in XP SP3 and Windows 7 Home (both 32-bit). The firmware version is 1.10.

Thanks again-

-Susan
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #54
ajaym

Hi Susan

Hmm. Well, that confirms the observations made by others. Now, this IS weird.

Ok, the next thing I would try is this

1. On the BCR2000 switch to a preset that has not been set up. The display should read 'init'

2. Program JUST the top left corner rotary encoder on channel 16 as specified in the setup instructions and save the preset. So now all we can control is the master fader and nothing else.

Manually programmed, I would expect it to look like this, as we query the settings using the BCR front panel (left to right)

encoder 1: CC
encoder 2: Ch16
encoder 3: 8
encoder 4: 0
encoder 5: 127
encoder 6: abs
encoder 7: bar -
encoder 8: on

Now using this preset, what happens?.

3. In an empty Reaper project, repeat your test using the master fader. Is the problem still evident?. This at least should help us converge on what's going on. I am deeply suspicious at this point that Reaper is doing something rather weird,
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #55
Susan G

Hi aj-

Same thing with just one encoder programmed.

If I rotate the knob fast enough it appears to work, of course, but that's only because the small fluctuations on the Master fader are hard to see. When I rotate it slowly I can watch the value flipping around on the BCR display.

It seems to work a little more smoothly when I'm decrementing the value, but instead of echoing back higher values it seems to skip some. So eg. if I try to go from 34 to 33 it goes from 34 to 31 instead. I can't do the MIDI-OX test on that right now since I'm just about out the door, but I can give you more detailed feedback on that later if you think it would help.

I still wonder why it's working fine for you and others, though. There's nothing to indicate that my BCR is defective, and it's not like I have some exotic setup over here! If you suspect it's something in REAPER, why doesn't everyone see the same behavior?

Anyway, I really do appreciate your continued help and patience!

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #56
Drumbum

Your BCR is not defective. Mine has messed up twice (once on purpose), and is working perfectly right now. And since my presets are all organized I don't think I'll have any more problems.

By the way, are you using BC Manager to do your preset management?

My problems arose after using it (BC Manager) to move the preset. Your problem seems global--the entire device is affected. BC Manager has global control of the device when it is being used (including the temporary preset) which is how Propellerhead software approches the BCR...

Propellerhead software (Reason or Record) takes over the entire device (Subbing out the AJ preset for a temporary one) and gives it back when its done. In my case and Zenguru's it gave it back in working order for aj's preset in reaper (not once but twice--exact same issue you describe).

Maybe you should download the Reason demo; install it; I believe the first time it runs it will ask about control surfaces and even auto detect them.

Load up a couple of devices and watch the BCR reprogram itself as you switch from device to device. Exit reason and try Reaper. It should work!!!

Anyway, I have to get back to work...I will check later if you got a result or if you even understood this post. I can be pretty incoherent most of the time.

Sorry ' bout that...Good Luck!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #57
ajaym

Thanks Susan

I'm not clear how this can be a problem with the BCR itself, it appears to be correctly sending the encoder settings. It seems to be Reaper that is echoing these back incorrectly. I am going to post this urgently on the dev. forum and see if anyone can suggest a possible cause, such as perhaps a MIDI buffering setting or something that might have a bearing.

I'm sure you haven't touched any of the myriad configuration settings for buffering and MIDI - I did change a few to see if I could provoke the problem, but without success.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #58
Susan G

Default SUCCESS!?

Hi aj-

Hold off on posting to the dev forum -- I think this might be resolved.

I'm doing more testing as we speak, but it's looking good. I'll post back as soon as I know for sure.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #59
Susan G

Hi aj-

I just went back to XP and tested the CS with both it and Win 7, and it's working smoothly in REAPER now -- yay!

Somewhere along the way something got changed, but I have no idea what nor how. I didn't change any of the global settings, nor your preset's settings. I save all my presets in .syx files and I've always just left yours alone.

What I did just before you posted was to send the .syx you provided to the preset I use for your CS again via MIDI-OX, and then it "magically" started working again.

I don't think that explains why the empty preset I used with just the single encoder I programmed as you suggested didn't work, nor why your preset continued to work just fine in SONAR throughout all this, nor why others have had similar issues.

At any rate, it's working now, I re-saved all my presets, and if I run into this again I'll know what to do.

I don't know if this helps or not, since I don't know what caused the problem in the first place. Clearly something got changed in the BCR, but I doubt (based on my experience, at least) that it was user-initiated.

Thanks again-

-Susan
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #60
ajaym

Hi Susan

I'm really pleased to hear that you have it working, though it sure is weird. Reading your earlier posts again, you mentioned that when you rotated the encoder slowly you got 'several 1s' . I just connected the BCR through MIDI-OX and turned the MIDI monitor on to confirm my expectations. What I see is that when I rotate the encoder very slowly, I get one event per MIDI CC change, as I would expect. This is what I got back (just right click on the monitor view, clear all events, then when you have them on the screen, you can use 'copy all' to get them to the clipboard. MIDI-OX is a very well-designed piece of software, I have to say.

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
0001CC8F 1 -- BF 08 01 16 --- CC: Balance
0001D718 1 -- BF 08 02 16 --- CC: Balance
0001DB34 1 -- BF 08 03 16 --- CC: Balance
0001DF9C 1 -- BF 08 04 16 --- CC: Balance
0001E2B0 1 -- BF 08 05 16 --- CC: Balance
0001E70B 1 -- BF 08 06 16 --- CC: Balance

If things go weird for you again, check EXACTLY what you get back when you rotate the encoder extremely slowly. If multiple events are being reported but without DATA2 - the CC value - changing smoothly as above, then the fault lies inside the BCR somewhere.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #61
XITE-1/4LIVE

Wow, this is great.
I have been using Scopes Modular and using a BCR.
I have no use for the BCF in a Modular Synth shell but was wondering if I could map my faders to your app somehow to control Reaper.?

Last edited by XITE-1/4LIVE; 10-07-2010 at 12:29 AM.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #62
Susan G

Hi aj-

Quote:
What I see is that when I rotate the encoder very slowly, I get one event per MIDI CC change, as I would expect.
Yes, that's exactly what I see now, too, and what I saw before without REAPER in the picture.
Quote:
If things go weird for you again, check EXACTLY what you get back when you rotate the encoder extremely slowly. If multiple events are being reported but without DATA2 - the CC value - changing smoothly as above, then the fault lies inside the BCR somewhere.
Will do. The example I gave before:
Quote:
If the BCR is at, say, 05, I'll see:

shows all the DATA2 values MIDI OX displayed when I rotated to 5 with REAPER in the mix. Even the "wrong" values didn't seem to follow a pattern!

I'll keep an eye on it, but for now it's working great. I'm almost tempted to load an older .syx file to see if that mucks it up again, but not enough to actually do it!

Thanks again. I really appreciate your seeing this through with me!

-Susan
Old 01-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #63
bradleyfilms

I think I've cracked the problem. I had the same issues (controller likes to go down, but sticks on up), but don't have Reason for the fix. Then I read this "Beware: Propellerhead’s Reason (in any case versions 3.0 and 4.0) sets TransmissionInterval to 2 and
DeadTime to 400 for both the BCF and BCR, and does not restore the original values after it has run.
Totally reprehensible!"
Maybe not so reprehensible after all, I upped the deadtime to 200, and I'm now a very happy bunny indeed. Everything runs very smoothly.
DeadTime is altered by pressing Edit + Store to get into the global settings and turning push encoder 7.
Steve.
Oh, the quote is from BC Manager's BC MIDI Implementation pdf on p28
Old 01-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #64
Susan G

Hi Drumbum-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum View Post
Anyway, I have to get back to work...I will check later if you got a result or if you even understood this post. I can be pretty incoherent most of the time.
Not at all -- it was very clear, and I did download the Reason demo and followed the suggestions you posted earlier.

Well, almost!<g> It was very late for me since I'd been up all night (nothing to do with the BCR!), and I missed the part about switching away and back to aj's preset. I was going to try that but went with reloading his .syx file first, and things started working again.

I didn't want you to think your help went unnoticed -- I appreciate it very much!

Thanks-

-Susan

Last edited by Susan G; 01-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #65
Susan G

Hi bradleyfilms-
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
I think I've cracked the problem. I had the same issues (controller likes to go down, but sticks on up), but don't have Reason for the fix. Then I read this "Beware: Propellerhead’s Reason (in any case versions 3.0 and 4.0) sets TransmissionInterval to 2 and
DeadTime to 400 for both the BCF and BCR, and does not restore the original values after it has run.
Totally reprehensible!"
Maybe not so reprehensible after all, I upped the deadtime to 200, and I'm now a very happy bunny indeed. Everything runs very smoothly.

DeadTime is altered by pressing Edit + Store to get into the global settings and turning push encoder 7.
Steve.
Oh, the quote is from BC Manager's BC MIDI Implementation pdf on p28
Well, the plot sickens (er, thickens)!

I just checked my DeadTime and it is in fact 400, but aj's CS continues to work fine in REAPER since I re-sent his .syx data earlier today.

Something weird definitely happens for some at some point, and I'll keep an eye on it here, but I can't see a definite cause effect relationship yet.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 01-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #66
bradleyfilms

Hi Susan, I should have added that the default DeadTime for the BCR is 0.
I've only had mine a week or so and it still has most of its factory settings. With that particular setting I couldn't get ajaym's system to work at all with anything but trim/read. The minimum setting seems to be 30.
I'm still not getting feedback to the LEDs properly (looking at 8 bright rings of LEDs here, and knowing full well there are only 2 tracks). I can live with that. I'm really happy it's working.
Steve.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #67
Drumbum

Glad you got it sorted out Susan!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #68
Susan G

@Steve-
Quote:
I'm still not getting feedback to the LEDs properly
If I start a new project immediately after loading REAPER and add, say, 3 tracks, I'll see the 4 top left encoders light up with the default volume fader value. The fourth is for the Master in this scenario. The LEDs reflect the changes I make dragging REAPER's controls.

The BCR LEDs aren't updated when I move the REAPER controls in any other than Trim/Read automation mode, and they don't follow the automation envelopes, but I think that's to be expected. (aj?<g>)

@Drumbum: Thanks!

-Susan
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #69
d. gauss

hi,

having the same stuttering fader issues as others.

also wanted to mention that you can't use "shift" combined with the gain control to get fine resolution of volume fader as that is instead "scrub."

Last edited by d. gauss; 02-04-2010 at 08:27 PM.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #70
ajaym

EUREKA!

This morning I had a quick look at this 'dead time' issue as has been reported by others and I can now reproduce the encoder behaviour that some people have encountered with Reaper. Luckily, it's just a BCR setting and can be fixed in 30 seconds.

The problem appears to be that some software - Reason seems to be the main culprit - alters the default global 'dead time' setting, which on my BCR is still at its factory default of 90ms. Now, this, along with the MIDI update interval setting, is not terribly well documented in Behringer's manuals, and I have to admit I didn't know about them. Having read the template guide, which as far as I can see is the only place they are mentioned, Behringer don't explain anything about them. From experimentation I have figured out that the dead time setting, which can be set from 0 -> 1000ms, alters the BCR response to an incoming MIDI message so that when an encoder is rotated, any MIDI feedback that occurs within the dead time interval is ignored.

The MIDI update interval, on the other hand, controls the frequency with which the BCR will send MIDI events back to the host. Its factory default value is 2ms. Setting it to a higher value will cause control movements to become progressively 'jumpier'. There is no reason to change the interval, therefore, from its 2ms default.

Now everything falls into place. With dead time set to anything less than 30ms or so, I start seeing the reported behaviour. This will be because Reaper is feeding back the previous encoder setting and the short dead time window causes the BCR to immediately reset the encoder. This causes the 'fighting'.

The cure is therefore to set the dead time to a higher value. It can, in fact, be quite high in almost any situation without causing a problem. To see exactly how it works, try setting it to 1000ms. Now while you wiggle an encoder on the BCR, also move the corresponding track fader. See how anything you do to that fader within 1 second of moving the BCR encoder is ignored. Then the encoder will suddenly jump to the final fader setting. With shorter dead times, you will see that this period shortens progressively.

A dead time of around 100ms should therefore work just fine, but you can, as I said, set it up to quite a high value and you are unlikely to in fact see any change in surface behaviour, since only the scenario I've just mentioned makes it visible. But too short a dead time and you get the erratic encoder problem.

To alter the dead time, press the STORE and EDIT buttons. The 7th encoder from the left adjusts the dead time in ms. Press STORE and EDIT to exit. This is a global setting, not a per-preset setting.

I apologise that this has taken so long to resolve. Unfortunately - sod's law - I could not see the problem on my setup and do not run Reason, nor did I know of these settings. I will update the installation guide for the project to ensure that this is now documented.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #71
ajaym

Bradleyfilms

By design, the software does not attempt to update controls which lie outside the current track count for the project. This is primarily an efficiency issue, because then the surface isn't perpetually refreshing all those controls with zero values. However it does have the side effect that encoders not controlling any active track may retain their previous values. Since normally the user knows from Reaper and/or the surface console, which tracks are actually active, the behaviour you see is currently by design. If you save the BCR preset with all encoders set to minimum and all switches OFF, then you may prefer the behaviour, since unassigned encoders will default to zero, unless you load a large project, and then close it, and load a much smaller one (in track count), in which case of course the encoders for unassigned tracks will retain their previous values. In this case, merely switching away from the current preset on the BCR front panel to another one and back, will re-clear the unused encoders. This seemed to me a good tradeoff, since I was concerned about control surface overheads. Of course, computers have become ever more powerful since this software was first written and I could review that decision.

d.gauss

Within the usual range of fader settings, gain is controllable by around 1dB steps. This in fact is slightly better than you can achieve using the mouse to control Reaper's faders directly (unless you press CTRL for fine adjust). Therefore I felt that fine adjustments from the surface were probably not worthwhile for channel gain, whereas for things like EQ they are essential, and this is why shift+gain is scrub. At some point I plan to make these assignments programmable along with the FX assignments; however, as I have mentioned previously this is a fairly significant development effort which I have currently costed out at probably 40-60 hours development time, including testing, which can easily come to half the development budget, since I'm sure you don't want any bugs.

I've received a handful of donations towards this work from some of the kind users in this forum and, as time (and money) permits (since I have to slot this in with paying work), I will certainly review some of this functionality.

Susan

Automation in Reaper doesn't seem to work quite as it does in Sonar and, experimenting with it, I am not quite sure how you get automation to actually replay the fader movements; every setting I've tried leaves the faders as they are. This means of course that the surface encoders do not move to reflect the automation envelopes. In Sonar, they do, by default, because the actual track faders reflect any applied automation.

You can certainly record automation envelopes from the surface OK but I can't seem to set Reaper up to replay the fader movements, even though the dialogue settings suggest that you can i.e that there is a read mode as well as trim read, but it doesn't seem to work. This may just be my relative inexperience with Reaper, of course.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #72
GigaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
The plugin allows the BCR to still be used with other applications; it does not require any Mackie emulation software.
Your work is highly appreciated. I'm wondering if statement above includes C*base 5 also? I have some projects that I need to finish in C5 (kind of client requirement). So I'm wondering if I can use this solution?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GigaMan; 02-07-2010 at 04:50 AM.
GigaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #73
ivansc

Default ajaym you are a star.... I hope!

I use reaper AND sonar & would LOVE to find an easy way to use my very recently acquired BCF2000. Been checking out the behringer editor and varisou other bits but so far unable to make this puppy do a thing.
OSP attack (old stupid person) I guess
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #74
norbury brook

just set the BCF up in MCU mode in reaper and then add it as a control surface,easy as pie. For sonar you can set the BCF up in sonar mode and add it as a control surface there

just hold down the first button under the 1st rotary controller(top right) when you switch it on and you'l see the different modes.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #75
ivansc

Default maybe I should....

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
just set the BCF up in MCU mode in reaper and then add it as a control surface,easy as pie. For sonar you can set the BCF up in sonar mode and add it as a control surface there

just hold down the first button under the 1st rotary controller(top right) when you switch it on and you'l see the different modes.

MC
downoad the manual from behringer?? (embarrassed grin)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #76
jbone1313

This is really awesome. It works in Win 7 x64.

It seems Behringer finally released 64bit drivers for Win 7. Kudos to them for supporting that.
jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #77
Susan G

Hi aj-

bradleyfilms mentioned the DeadTime in post #63, but I'd already re-sent your .syx file and when I checked it mine was at 400. I set it to 350 just for the heck of it, and everything continues to work fine.

Something must have reset it from the default, but I can't think what. I don't use Reason either, and only installed the demo on Drumbum's suggestion, but that was after the problem had already started here.

I don't have anything installed that I know of that writes to the BCR unless I tell it to, and I never overwrote your preset, as I said. Weird.

Anyway-
Quote:
Susan

Automation in Reaper doesn't seem to work quite as it does in Sonar and, experimenting with it, I am not quite sure how you get automation to actually replay the fader movements; every setting I've tried leaves the faders as they are. This means of course that the surface encoders do not move to reflect the automation envelopes. In Sonar, they do, by default, because the actual track faders reflect any applied automation.

You can certainly record automation envelopes from the surface OK but I can't seem to set Reaper up to replay the fader movements, even though the dialogue settings suggest that you can i.e that there is a read mode as well as trim read, but it doesn't seem to work. This may just be my relative inexperience with Reaper, of course.
I'm seeing the same thing, of course -- could well be my relative inexperience with REAPER as well! It really would be nice to have the encoders update, though.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Susan
Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #78
jbone1313

I've noticed sometimes when Reaper's not in focus, the plugin does not work. Once I click in Reaper's window, it comes alive again. This happens when I'm working with a ReWire slave.

Is that by design?

Last edited by jbone1313; 02-07-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #79
jbone1313

I've also noticed a weird "bug" or "feature" depending on how you look at it. Pressing the shift key multiple times sometimes causes the console window to open and close immediately. Then, the track select buttons seem, "locked"; i.e., you can move about the tracks using the mute buttons WITHOUT holding down shift.

But it seems a bit unreliable. After that, there's not really a way to get the console window to stay open until it randomly decides to.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #80
Susan G

Default Donations?

Hi-

For those of you who've made donations to aj for his excellent work, how did you do it?

I PM'd him a while ago and haven't heard back, but when I go here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/proje...roup_id=186470
I get the following: "BCR2000 control surface interface (bcr2000control) has not opted in to receive donations".

BTW, I'm following the "Donate Money" link from this page: http://bcr2000control.sourceforge.net/
but there's gotta be a better way!

Thanks!

-Susan