Old 01-18-2022, 02:19 AM   #1
sound warrior
Human being with feelings

Default region playlist Manager workflow?

Hi everyone happy New Year :-) thank you to everyone that helped with my last post :-)
Basically my situation is this, I want to use region playlist manager to structure a track. I make electronic music and I have recorded several loops they are all 4 bars in length, they are all positioned at the beginning of the timeline. My question is this, in all the examples of using region playlist manager I have experienced people have several variations of there track already lined up in regions. Because all the loops I want to use for my track are in the same place on the timeline, is there any way of turning each loop into its own separate region for use in the playlist manager? Your help with the situation would be much appreciated everybody thank you for your help and have a brilliant New Year :-)
Old 01-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #2
Dave 2099

Greetings Trey,

I have a cycle action that may help. You will need to install the SWS extension if you haven't already (http://www.sws-extension.org/) though my action doesn't contain any conditional statements so I guess I could have made it just as a native custom action.

For a situation like you describe where you have a bunch of items on different tracks all lined up at time zero, you would mute all tracks and unmute the ones you want to bring together in a new region.

When you run the action, it selects the unmuted tracks, copies the items in the time selection, moves the cursor to the end of the project, pastes the items, and creates a region.

Since it requires a time selection, you might want to create a region that contains all your samples, so you can easily double-click the region bar and select the time.

Hope this works for ya. Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: ini Copy_items_from_unmuted_tracks_create_region.INI (203 Bytes, 32 views)
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
sound warrior

hi thanks for this, I do have SWS installed. Firstly how do I load this custom action to Reaper? Secondly can you explain exactly how this helps with my situation I don't think I understand, when would I use this action? Thanks for your help mate :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 2099 View Post
Greetings Trey,

I have a cycle action that may help. You will need to install the SWS extension if you haven't already (http://www.sws-extension.org/) though my action doesn't contain any conditional statements so I guess I could have made it just as a native custom action.

For a situation like you describe where you have a bunch of items on different tracks all lined up at time zero, you would mute all tracks and unmute the ones you want to bring together in a new region.

When you run the action, it selects the unmuted tracks, copies the items in the time selection, moves the cursor to the end of the project, pastes the items, and creates a region.

Since it requires a time selection, you might want to create a region that contains all your samples, so you can easily double-click the region bar and select the time.

Hope this works for ya. Cheers.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
Dave 2099

Sure. Open up the cycle actions editor window (there should be a command in the regular actions window - search on "cycle actions"). Once you have downloaded the file, you can import it into the cycle actions editor.

If I understand your original post correctly, your project will have a number of media items on multiple tracks all at time zero, right? So mute all tracks and then un-mute the ones you want to bring together in a new region. Create a time selection wide enough for all the items (I think you said they're all 4 bars, right?), and run the action. The items from the un-muted tracks should appear at the end of the project and in a region.

Since the cycle action requires a time selection, I like to create a region at time zero long enough to contain all the items, that way I only have to double-click the region to make the time selecction.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote