Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
iharpyou
Human being with feelings

Default What default plugins are mostly used for

I wonder what plugins do people use with vocals?
And what plugins with Acoustic guitar?

I also need to use harmonica but probably not many people here play harmonica
iharpyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
domzy

generally speaking, most mixers probably use EQ, compression & reverb on those (and pretty much every instrument) if they need it, but it all really depends on the source material, style, etc. etc.

There aren't really any rules - do what sounds good
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
mixer9

ReaDelay around 30 ms for a doubling effect to thicken vocals.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #4
DVDdoug

You can start with the (usually unrealistic) idea that a good recording doesn't need any effects...

But if you're recording in a sound absorbing studio, vocals & acoustic guitar can "dead" and you probably want some reverb to re-create the sound of a "live" room.

EQ can be used to correct for an "imperfect" microphone.

Compression is generally used to make things "louder" or "more intense". It can be useful to make a vocal stand-out clearly in the mix, without overly reducing everything else.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #5
serr

The basic controls on the mixing board as mentioned are volume, eq, and compression. Then ambience generation (reverb & delay).

Channel volume should be obvious. Balance your source elements together.
EQ - balance the frequency content of a source. Anything from general bass vs treble to a specific frequency.
Compression - set an auto-pilot on the volume level of a source. Have it turn down above a set level. Make something that has too much dynamic range smaller with this.

EQ and compression have many different plugins to choose from. There's no magic in some boutique plugin that's make or break. ReaEQ and ReaComp are great places to start!

One thing to note. When you hear someone say a compressor is to make something louder or fatter, understand that it's the workflow being described. First you set the compressor to turn down peaks. Then you can turn the whole level up without those peaks hitting red.

Get to know these basic tools. There aren't specific plugins for specific instruments per say. There ARE favorites perhaps that work well for certain things. Start with the basics and you'll go far. Searching for the perfect plugin that will magically save your mix or somesuch would probably be frustrating.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #6
Philbo King

On harmonica it depends on the style and sound. For jazz harmonica a clean signal recorded a few feet from a ribbon or dynamic mic can work well. If done in a shower or bathroom you can get very realistic room ambience on it.

For amplified overdriven blues harp, I find using an EQ to trim down the painful shrillness is helpful.
On occasion I have also fed it through ReaPitch, set to generate a subtone one octave down. Gives that 'Junior Wells' vibe. Here you should play with the format control to get the tone you want, then dial it back with the 'Mix' knob so it just adds a bit of thickening to the original sound of the harp. For this style of harp playing, I use a really cheap dynamic mic fed into an small guitar amp input, and DI or mic the amp to get into the DAW.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:51 PM   #7
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
On harmonica it depends on the style and sound. For jazz harmonica a clean signal recorded a few feet from a ribbon or dynamic mic can work well. If done in a shower or bathroom you can get very realistic room ambience on it.

For amplified overdriven blues harp, I find using an EQ to trim down the painful shrillness is helpful.
On occasion I have also fed it through ReaPitch, set to generate a subtone one octave down. Gives that 'Junior Wells' vibe. Here you should play with the format control to get the tone you want, then dial it back with the 'Mix' knob so it just adds a bit of thickening to the original sound of the harp. For this style of harp playing, I use a really cheap dynamic mic fed into an small guitar amp input, and DI or mic the amp to get into the DAW.

OK thanks it seems you know about harmonica problem.

Let me explain I use a rack to play harmonica while I play guitar
Now the problem is that when harmonica is in rack I can't hold the harmonica around my hands so I loose that fat , round sound . So I need to come up with some plugins to get rid of thin sound.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:56 AM   #8
mixer9

Or lay down separate tracks.
mixer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:53 AM   #9
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer9 View Post
ReaDelay around 30 ms for a doubling effect to thicken vocals.
If I have a mono vocal track, I like to do that for one channel, and detune it by a few cents. It give a more natural "fake stereo" sound.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:15 PM   #10
iharpyou

Great tips thank you .
Old 01-20-2022, 11:58 PM   #11
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharpyou View Post
OK thanks it seems you know about harmonica problem.

Let me explain I use a rack to play harmonica while I play guitar
Now the problem is that when harmonica is in rack I can't hold the harmonica around my hands so I loose that fat , round sound . So I need to come up with some plugins to get rid of thin sound.
As far as using a rack, do that for live shows, and multitrack (dub in) when recording. A rack is a bitch, but many have mastered it in the past... practice, practice.

The coolest harp rack I've seen was one made and used by Deak Harp, who runs a harp shop in Clarksdale MS. I've considered trying to make one, but harp isn't a big part of my live work.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #12
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
As far as using a rack, do that for live shows, and multitrack (dub in) when recording. A rack is a bitch, but many have mastered it in the past... practice, practice.

The coolest harp rack I've seen was one made and used by Deak Harp, who runs a harp shop in Clarksdale MS. I've considered trying to make one, but harp isn't a big part of my live work.
Thanks Yes I tried expensive racks too however I settled down with K&M guitar rack not expensive but for me it was best. The problem is that harmonica sound becomes so thin so I am playing with EQ to compensate for that and it seems I am successful
Old 01-21-2022, 08:48 PM   #13
Bazzbass

why go into a DAW yet record harmonica, guitar and vox onto one track live?

it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Point your sm57 at the guitar,sing into the Rode mic. Add harmonica later on a separate track.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #14
iharpyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
why go into a DAW yet record harmonica, guitar and vox onto one track live?

it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Point your sm57 at the guitar,sing into the Rode mic. Add harmonica later on a separate track.
I am taking video too , I hate to add harmonica to track later . So I take video of me signing , playing harmonica and guitar.