Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Wonkey Wabbit
Human being with feelings

Default Old demo program causing VST set-up error message loop

Hi there. Done a quick search through and couldn't find anything similar - so please forgive me if it's been covered before.

Just installed and registered 1.804 on XP but when I set the program to scan my VST folders, it came across an old demo version of 'Jamsticks' for which I'd previously deleted all the audio files but had left the .dll.

The error message pop-up kept asking me for the folder location for the missing audio files and the 'Cancel' button just brought up the same pop-up whilst the 'OK' option did the same (as there was obviously no correct folder). I had to CTRL-ALT-Delete to bring up task manager to shut Reaper down, then delete the old demo .dll and then re-start Reaper.

Not the end of the world I know, but there may be some people who have deleted some audio files (for whatever reason) attached to a VSTi and want to leave it that way. Is it therefore possible to have an 'ignore' or 'skip' button on this error pop-up so that scanning can continue and the VSTi in question is ignored or somehow flagged as 'faulty' in the VSTi list? Or just some simple mechanism that cancels the VST population so that you don't have to force Reaper to close in this situation?
Wonkey Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Jae.Thomas

First off, welcome to the forums!!!

glad to see you here, and to hear your views.

i think the only way to do this is to forcably close reaper, and i would say its the fault of two things:

1. the vsti developer

2. the user (in your case, no offense intended, for deleting the audio files and not uninstalling the program or changing the directory properly).

I dont think this is a fault of REAPER or something that could be fixed. But then again im not the developer so i dont know
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Wonkey Wabbit

Hi Jason and thanks!

To be honest I'm not sure in this instance whether I deleted the audio myself or whether I ran the un-install program and it left enough behind to confuse Reaper. But I haven't got a problem with me being the main problem here!

But if it happened to me then it will happen to others, and just some way of escaping from the loop/cancelling the scan without shutting down Reaper would be nice at some point in time.
Wonkey Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote