Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
simplecarnival
Human being with feelings

Default Keyboard Shortcut MIDI CC not working? (SOLVED)

I'd like to set up a keyboard shortcut with a MIDI continuous controller message and am following the directions here: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...3&postcount=11

However, when I click on the "Special Key" button to assign the MIDI cc, it doesn't appear to recognize my controller (a Lexicon MRC). I know the controller is sending messages, as if I change the control surface to BabyHUI, I can control Reaper's pan controls with the MRC's faders. It appears that the "Special Key" mode isn't recognizing the MIDI cc.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using Reaper 1.804.
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
simplecarnival

Could anyone out there confirm if this is actually a bug? This behavior was still present on my setup in v1.808.

What I'm wondering is if the MIDI cc only works for MIDI controllers which output separate least/most significant bit values (two different values as two separate, simultaneous cc messages). My controller only outputs values 0-127 as a single cc message.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecarnival View Post
Could anyone out there confirm if this is actually a bug? This behavior was still present on my setup in v1.808.

What I'm wondering is if the MIDI cc only works for MIDI controllers which output separate least/most significant bit values (two different values as two separate, simultaneous cc messages). My controller only outputs values 0-127 as a single cc message.

Thanks in advance!
the single CC is what it has to output..

be sure that the input is enabled and set to +Control in the prefs/audio/MIDI section.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
simplecarnival

Thanks, Justin...

I gave it another shot and got it to work with 1.809. It could've been a coincidence, but the keyboard control preferences screen started registering cc values once I'd set one of the faders to cc #7 (volume). Then I was able to set my controller to whatever cc I wanted and the keyboard control preferences screen would recognize it. Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
simplecarnival

Hmmm... I was having audio configuration issues after installing 1.810, so I had to clear out my preferences. Now I can't get the keyboard shortcut screen to recognize cc, even if I set one of the faders to cc #7... It does seem like this is a bug, in the sense that this screen doesn't consistently recognize if cc messages are being sent... Unless there is some trick I need to do to get it to recognize cc on that screen...?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
simplecarnival

If nobody else has problems with this, I'm starting to suspect it's Digidesign's Wave Driver... I wouldn't be surprised if the driver were so picky that it only allows one instance of the MIDI inputs active at a time. The main Reaper window can recognize MIDI events, but -- with the exception of one time ever -- the keyboard command window doesn't pick up on it at all.

It might be time to switch to a non-Digi interface and see if I have better luck there...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
simplecarnival

Well, I tried using a Creative SoundBlaster (Don't know the exact model #, but Windows comes up with MPU-401) and a joystick port to MIDI cable. The keyboard shortcut screen still doesn't work. So perhaps it is not the Digi drivers after all.

What makes this confusing is that I got it to work once -- and only once! -- before. That was when I was using the Digi 001 as the MIDI interface.

From the link above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBeat View Post
Continue for all CC you want to assign and then save the whole thing as keyboard map.

It then stores these settings in two places:

c:\program files\reaper\keymaps

and also saves in

documents and settings/application data\reaper\reaper-kb.ini

These are just text files. If the format could be figured out you could set up all the mappings in a text editor.
Can someone post keymapping files with the custom action "Set Volume For Selected Track(s)" set to cc 7? Maybe if had that as a starting point, I could get my controller working with Reaper again.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
simplecarnival

Never mind -- I got it working with the 001. It's a long, convoluted set of steps I have to take, but it works.