Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #41
pattonfreak1
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
they do not as windows vst's come in .dll format which is not compatible with mac. I think RTS or AU were cross compatible but i may be wrong there.
You're not wrong... But IIRC I think that Onqel may be having someone port it for him. I'm not 100% sure about that though.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #42
shemp

Quote:
they do not as windows vst's come in .dll format which is not compatible with mac. I think RTS or AU were cross compatible but i may be wrong there.
ah, thanks. Learn something every day
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #43
zoso2

unfortunately VST is pretty much the standard plugin format so if you ever change your OS then you have to buy them all over again, that is if they exist for the other OS
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #44
Diogenes

VST plugins are "standard" but compiled differently for Windows and Mac OSX. I believe RTAS is a Digi construct and only work in Pro Tools and maybe Logic. Not sure about that one though...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #45
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
VST plugins are "standard" but compiled differently for Windows and Mac OSX. I believe RTAS is a Digi construct and only work in Pro Tools and maybe Logic. Not sure about that one though...

D
VST = Everything BUT Mac based DAW's.
AU = Mac based DAW's
RTAS & TDM = Protools proprietary format - only work with Protools.

I think there may be a wrapper plugin though - so you can use VST with a Mac based system - I've seen others talk about it, but unfortunately, I am clueless when it comes to teh macz.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #46
zoso2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P_Critter View Post
VST = Everything BUT Mac based DAW's.
AU = Mac based DAW's
RTAS & TDM = Protools proprietary format - only work with Protools.

I think there may be a wrapper plugin though - so you can use VST with a Mac based system - I've seen others talk about it, but unfortunately, I am clueless when it comes to teh macz.
There are mac VST plugins. most of my plugins are in VST format. BTW I checked out the other FTA songs and they are fucking killer as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #47
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
i use VST on my Mac, they have to be Mac specific though not just any vst will work
SEE..... no one should EVER listen to me... LOL!!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #48
zoso2

what exactly does the Catharsis Impulses plugin do?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #49
minerman

Thanks for the heads up on the drums Crispy C, I have SSD EX, but not Superior. I do have big plans for my "studio" this summer though, finally got out of debt (for the most part), & should have a lot more extra $$$ from now on. Again, killer song man, pro playing/production. I know I said this before, but you guys need to be on the road playing your songs, making money at it, you are really that good....Killer!!!
minerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #50
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
what exactly does the Catharsis Impulses plugin do?
Hey man - not a plugin - these are cabinet IR files that you use in conjunction with an IR loader like KeFIR, Boogex or SIR.

Check here - http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/a...-impulses.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerman View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the drums Crispy C, I have SSD EX, but not Superior. I do have big plans for my "studio" this summer though, finally got out of debt (for the most part), & should have a lot more extra $$$ from now on. Again, killer song man, pro playing/production. I know I said this before, but you guys need to be on the road playing your songs, making money at it, you are really that good....Killer!!!
HAHA! Thanks man!! And... congrats on the debt thing - it's so tough to dig out - glad you did!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #51
kindafishy

Default Some constructive thoughts...

I am unnaturally familiar with this tune now (like all the other FTA songs). You guys need to get yourselves into the position where you can actually get it together and play shows. I guess you need a dozen songs or so first, so git yer asses in gear! Make sure you come to Toronto or Hamilton when the time comes. It would be cool to meet you guys in person and have a beer or two. Make sure kindafishy is on the guest list...

I like the drums sounds here as they sound great, but I prefer the drum sounds on Disgusted. I think those are perfect for FTA. In comparing the two, I think that ultimately the cybals/hats may sound better in this tune, but the kick/snare/toms sound better in Disgusted.

Scott, the last solo is so very Gilmour influenced. It's a thing of beauty. I've heard a bit of Floyd influence in some of your non-FTA stuff as well. I am floored by this solo though, really. It's fine work. The tone you and Chris achieved together is awesome throughout the song too. It's mostly in the fingers, but Chris was able to tease some great heavy, full tones out of all the guitar.

I can hear the bass somewhat clearly in a few places, but I wish it was featured a little more. This isn't so much a comment directed towards FTA, but rather it kind of applies across the board to heavy tunes in this general style. I'm thinking Cliff and his flubbery/punchy clear yet dirty style. He played heavy and followed the guitar lines much of the time but you can always pick out what he was doing because he had such punch and he would walk around a bit from time to time. For specific examples of what I am talking about, if you listen to anything of Kill Em' All, you can really hear the bass and it doesn't take anything away from the heavieness of the music, rather it adds a lot.

PF, you're the man. You seem to know exactly when to get gnarly and dirty or clean and melodic. The phrasing you come up with always fits perfectly. In this song, you repeat the same verse segment so many times, but you put so much variation into it that it stays interesting throughout the whole song.

All your material is killer when it comes down to it, so any little things that I struggle to critique here and there amount to nothing in the end, really. It's very pro all around.

You guys are all such great talents and FTA is definitely one of the highlights of the forums. You guys are becoming one my favourite bands, bar none. What's on my playlist today? A little Sabbath, some Zeppelin, a bit of Zappa, maybe a touch of Buckley, some Clutch and a big heaping serving of FTA.

Hey Chris, I went searching and realized that you didn't post anything before FTA (not that I could find, anyway). I've heard the others' non-FTA stuff. How about you? Linky?

PS - Jinko, can't wait for the video!
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #52
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I am unnaturally familiar with this tune now (like all the other FTA songs). You guys need to get yourselves into the position where you can actually get it together and play shows. I guess you need a dozen songs or so first, so git yer asses in gear! Make sure you come to Toronto or Hamilton when the time comes. It would be cool to meet you guys in person and have a beer or two. Make sure kindafishy is on the guest list...

I like the drums sounds here as they sound great, but I prefer the drum sounds on Disgusted. I think those are perfect for FTA. In comparing the two, I think that ultimately the cybals/hats may sound better in this tune, but the kick/snare/toms sound better in Disgusted.

Scott, the last solo is so very Gilmour influenced. It's a thing of beauty. I've heard a bit of Floyd influence in some of your non-FTA stuff as well. I am floored by this solo though, really. It's fine work. The tone you and Chris achieved together is awesome throughout the song too. It's mostly in the fingers, but Chris was able to tease some great heavy, full tones out of all the guitar.

I can hear the bass somewhat clearly in a few places, but I wish it was featured a little more. This isn't so much a comment directed towards FTA, but rather it kind of applies across the board to heavy tunes in this general style. I'm thinking Cliff and his flubbery/punchy clear yet dirty style. He played heavy and followed the guitar lines much of the time but you can always pick out what he was doing because he had such punch and he would walk around a bit from time to time. For specific examples of what I am talking about, if you listen to anything of Kill Em' All, you can really hear the bass and it doesn't take anything away from the heavieness of the music, rather it adds a lot.

PF, you're the man. You seem to know exactly when to get gnarly and dirty or clean and melodic. The phrasing you come up with always fits perfectly. In this song, you repeat the same verse segment so many times, but you put so much variation into it that it stays interesting throughout the whole song.

All your material is killer when it comes down to it, so any little things that I struggle to critique here and there amount to nothing in the end, really. It's very pro all around.

You guys are all such great talents and FTA is definitely one of the highlights of the forums. You guys are becoming one my favourite bands, bar none. What's on my playlist today? A little Sabbath, some Zeppelin, a bit of Zappa, maybe a touch of Buckley, some Clutch and a big heaping serving of FTA.

Hey Chris, I went searching and realized that you didn't post anything before FTA (not that I could find, anyway). I've heard the others' non-FTA stuff. How about you? Linky?

PS - Jinko, can't wait for the video!
Wow man! Thank you so much for the compliments! The bass is a strugle for me, mainly because my bass is not a very good instrument - it's a cheapo Ibanez that has been used and abused for years now. I am going to be doing some bass experiments though - one thing I can't stop is reading - I love hearing about new techniques, and I have a few in mind for the next song!

I didn't really put anything out for public consumption prior to FTA really - I have some tuneage, but it's mostly instrumental, and VERY badly produced!! LOL!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #53
pattonfreak1

Wow, fishy... Just... Wow.
I think I can speak for all 3 of us when I say that we are very humbled by this review. You are lumping us in with the likes of Zeppelin, Zappa, and Sabbath?
Those guys are LEGENDS and I hardly think we can compare.
We are all thankful for such a glowing review. I would love nothing more than to be crammed into a van driving across the country with these guys. But with over 1500 miles between us, no drummer or keyboard player its just not likely... I didn't say never though!
Who knows? Maybe someday.
And the kindred we have with each other blows me away with every tune we do. You'd think we were long lost brothers or something. And what Chris and Scott bring to the table really makes me feel that my contributions are negligible or just filler to get to the next awesome part of the song. They (and others) will say otherwise but I honestly don't feel that my vocals are grand enough to do these songs justice... Just sufficient. But that's prolly me just being modest...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #54
kindafishy

I listen to tunes all day, every day, non-stop. I listen to FTA pretty much every day or two now, and have been pretty much since the start.

So for me... yeah, I reach for FTA before I reach for most of what is in my collection of music, including those that I mentioned and many others. I loves it. As I am listening to your tunes, they don't just feel like random pretty cool sounding tunes that someone posted in a forum, they feel like a wicked album I just picked up by a band that I love, that I want to keep spinning until the needle wears out (or the laser dies for you kids out there).

You guys have the talent and that is obvious to all. You also have that elusive ingredient that changes the game. I would be surprised if anyone says otherwise and I would challenge them to create something of the caliber that you three have done. I get the sense that you guys recognize this too, modesty aside. So the question is "where can you take it"? As far as you are willing to go, as far as I am concerned. Did you guys end up at the REAPER forums by accident?

Keep it up, please! A couple years from now, I want to be able to say "I listened to those guys back when they posted their very first song on an internet forum".

I think that as musicians, we all want to be able to reach people in some way with our music. Even if it is only one person. You guys did that for me, so I'm not shy about saying so.

I don't think I am alone in thinking along these lines to one degree or another. If there are others out there that don't agree, that's cool - but they're wrong.

Rock the fuck on.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #55
Lastrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P_Critter View Post
Wow man! Thank you so much for the compliments! The bass is a strugle for me, mainly because my bass is not a very good instrument - it's a cheapo Ibanez that has been used and abused for years now. I am going to be doing some bass experiments though - one thing I can't stop is reading - I love hearing about new techniques, and I have a few in mind for the next song!

I didn't really put anything out for public consumption prior to FTA really - I have some tuneage, but it's mostly instrumental, and VERY badly produced!! LOL!
I recorded a cheapo Ibanez bass last week. I couldn't get it to work for me and I'm not a big fan of Ibanez basses in general. I just happened to have downloaded the Shred 2.0 demo that day and one of the bass-presets worked brilliantly for me after some tweaking. It dirtied up the sound just enough to punch through the mix better.

I thought that may be useful info for you.
Lastrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #56
shemp

Quote:
well thank you sir. Gilmour, eh? I'll take it but it's funny to me because I don't listen to Floyd that much.

I like the guitar tone in this one also but I personally, prefer my dirtier wet tone (see Death of a Scapegoat, and the solos in the other songs). This tine matches this tune nicely though.

Quote:
I can hear the bass somewhat clearly in a few places, but I wish it was featured a little more.
Hmm, well in a band with 3 guitar players, this is what happens . But IMO, I prefer a less active bass for this type of music.
Quote:
PF, you're the man. You seem to know exactly when to get gnarly and dirty or clean and melodic. The phrasing you come up with always fits perfectly.
True dat! HUGE GIGAWATT fan here and it is an privilege to work with Steve.
I wrote and recorded the tune that became Death of a Scapegoat almost 2 years ago. What Steve added to it really made it what it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy
I don't think I am alone in thinking along these lines to one degree or another. If there are others out there that don't agree, that's cool - but they're wrong.
LOL! The singer in my Priest band hates our stuff!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #57
shemp

Quote:
Did you guys end up at the REAPER forums by accident?
Yup. Still have never met or spoke to each other other than forum threads or email
Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #58
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yup. Still have never met or spoke to each other other than forum threads or email
I'm telling you guys... My normal speaking voice sounds like Mort Goldman.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #59
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonfreak1 View Post
Wow, fishy... Just... Wow.
I think I can speak for all 3 of us when I say that we are very humbled by this review. You are lumping us in with the likes of Zeppelin, Zappa, and Sabbath?
Those guys are LEGENDS and I hardly think we can compare.
We are all thankful for such a glowing review. I would love nothing more than to be crammed into a van driving across the country with these guys. But with over 1500 miles between us, no drummer or keyboard player its just not likely... I didn't say never though!
And the kindred we have with each other blows me away with every tune we do. You'd think we were long lost brothers or something. And what Chris and Scott bring to the table really makes me feel that my contributions are negligible or just filler to get to the next awesome part of the song. They (and others) will say otherwise but I honestly don't feel that my vocals are grand enough to do these songs justice... Just sufficient. But that's prolly me just being modest...
+1 to everything here, and I will also chime in and say without your voice, this wouldn't sound anywhere near as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
I recorded a cheapo Ibanez bass last week. I couldn't get it to work for me and I'm not a big fan of Ibanez basses in general. I just happened to have downloaded the Shred 2.0 demo that day and one of the bass-presets worked brilliantly for me after some tweaking. It dirtied up the sound just enough to punch through the mix better.

I thought that may be useful info for you.
Thanks man! I think for the next experiment I will take 3 DI traks per take, and treat them all differently - one for 50-150hs, another for the 150-2khz range and another for the high end grit. GOOD tip though man! Will have to give that a shot - Ken always puts out awesome plugs!

Quote:
I like the guitar tone in this one also but I personally, prefer my dirtier wet tone (see Death of a Scapegoat, and the solos in the other songs). This tine matches this tune nicely though.
No you don't... you just think you do! LOL!

Quote:
True dat! HUGE GIGAWATT fan here and it is an privilege to work with Steve.
I wrote and recorded the tune that became Death of a Scapegoat almost 2 years ago. What Steve added to it really made it what it is!
+100000000000

Yeah - it's kinda funny - I have the same comments about Steve and Scott... they rule!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #60
zoso2

i must agree with everything kindafishy has said. I fucking suck at song writing compared to you guys, it makes me want to give up but also practice all day everyday to get as good as you guys. i visit your reverbnation page several times a day to get my fix of FTA
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #61
jinko17

Quote:
I would love nothing more than to be crammed into a van driving across the country with these guys. But with over 1500 miles between us, no drummer or keyboard player its just not likely... I didn't say never though!
If that day ever comes, just remember, I know all your songs on drums and I'm down for anything.
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #62
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinko17 View Post
If that day ever comes, just remember, I know all your songs on drums and I'm down for anything.
Abso-fuckin-lutely
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #63
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Abso-fuckin-lutely
Hell yeah!! +100000000
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #64
flynsk

Great performances all around. Its rare to "hear the performance" now a days - even comes across in the programming. great work guys.
flynsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #65
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynsk View Post
Great performances all around. Its rare to "hear the performance" now a days - even comes across in the programming. great work guys.
Thank you very much for listening!!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #66
rfoxperko

You guys must ride a natural high every time you release something new for us to hear. I don't think there's any ass kissing necessary here. You know how good your shit is. keep it up. Everyone's listening.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #67
Lastrite

I'm in a two-man heavy rock project with a good friend of mine. He came over this weekend to write some vocals with me, but we're both not great singers so we struggled quite a bit.

After finishing today I played FTA - AHA for him. After the first verse and scream he said:

'Goddamn, that's awesome... Can't we have that dude do our vocals?!'

Another friend who had come by for coffee and is a HUGE Patton fan said:

'Yeah, this is great, it reminds me of Tomahawk!'

He wasn't surprised when I told him the singer's forum-alias after that comment...

---

I thought I'd share that with you
Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #68
pattonfreak1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrite View Post
I'm in a two-man heavy rock project with a good friend of mine. He came over this weekend to write some vocals with me, but we're both not great singers so we struggled quite a bit.

After finishing today I played FTA - AHA for him. After the first verse and scream he said:

'Goddamn, that's awesome... Can't we have that dude do our vocals?!'

Another friend who had come by for coffee and is a HUGE Patton fan said:

'Yeah, this is great, it reminds me of Tomahawk!'

He wasn't surprised when I told him the singer's forum-alias after that comment...

---

I thought I'd share that with you
ANY mention of Mike Patton with my name in the same sentence is literally the most flattering thing anyone could ever say of me.
To be compared to his likes is also very humbling.
If you like, I could give vocals a shot for your track (as Scott is headed to Germany and will be unavailable for a couple of weeks).
So I'd have time to lay some down.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #69
GermanFafian

And I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it, love it.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #70
ugh

I like that song a lot, production is superb as well.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #71
Chris_P_Critter

Thank you for listening everyone!

Glad so many people dig this!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #72
Tedwood

I need a new word for Awesome!

Sounds 'kin Great!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #73
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
I need a new word for Awesome!

Sounds 'kin Great!
Thanks Ted!

Same word, spelled differently = OssIm.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #74
Chris_P_Critter

Gonna bump this, if y'all don't mind.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #75
zoso2

what drum sampler do you use?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #76
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
what drum sampler do you use?
It's a combo of Steven Slate samples for the kit pieces, and Superior Drummer 2.0 for the overheads (I love Steven, and I would probably do him, but his cymbals are not the best).

Really glad you like this man!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #77
zoso2

those are kind of expensive are they not? is there a native REAPER plug in for loading samples into to trigger with midi?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #78
Wolffman

You guys are SERIOUSLY GOOD!!! at what you do

RE: the drums, do you send the drums to SSD on a different midi channel or split the drums into two seperate midi tracks/items for drums and OH's ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #79
Lastrite

Quote:
ANY mention of Mike Patton with my name in the same sentence is literally the most flattering thing anyone could ever say of me.
To be compared to his likes is also very humbling.
If you like, I could give vocals a shot for your track (as Scott is headed to Germany and will be unavailable for a couple of weeks).
So I'd have time to lay some down.
An unexpected, but very intriguing and welcome offer... You have a pm!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #80
Chris_P_Critter

Quote:
those are kind of expensive are they not? is there a native REAPER plug in for loading samples into to trigger with midi?
I think there are some user developed JS utilities for this, but I am not 100% certain as I've not used them. I think there is one called "Reasampleomatic" and "ReaDrums".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
You guys are SERIOUSLY GOOD!!! at what you do

RE: the drums, do you send the drums to SSD on a different midi channel or split the drums into two seperate midi tracks/items for drums and OH's ?

Cheers
I use multi track setups for both SD and SSD, and then write the MIDI on a seperate track, and send the MIDI to both samplers.