Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default OT: Vertical Mouse

I bought an ultra cheep Anker vertical mouse to see if it would have any positive effect on some carpal tunnel symptoms I occasionally have.

What a difference keeping your hand in a hand shaking position makes. Instant relief for only twenty bucks on Amazon.

Makes me now consider the much more expensive Logitech vertical mouse that can connect to as many as three PCs or devices. I'd use it on my DAW, Raspberry Pi, and surveillance DVR.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
brainwreck

Never used one. Two things that have helped me are making sure that my chair is at the right height so that my forearm is a little less than parellel to my desk, so that there is no major pressure on my wrist. And finding ways to make more use of the keyboard in place of the mouse has been a big help, such as using Vimium in my browser. I don't try to make myself use it all the time, but the amount that I do use it is helpful.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Never used one. Two things that have helped me are making sure that my chair is at the right height so that my forearm is a little less than parellel to my desk, so that there is no major pressure on my wrist. And finding ways to make more use of the keyboard in place of the mouse has been a big help, such as using Vimium in my browser. I don't try to make myself use it all the time, but the amount that I do use it is helpful.
My chair was way too low because I had a midi keyboard on a slide out rack under my desk. I moved the midi keyboard and raised my chair, but even with the arms of my chair closer to level to the desk and with the mouse right at the edge, I was getting tingling and slight numbness. I had heard about vertical mice but never looked into them until a few days ago. I thought for $20 I'd take a gamble and try one out.

With both the ergonomic Logitech that I had been using for years and the new Anker vertical mouse sitting side by side, it was like night and day. The radius and ulna don't get crossed and pinch nerves is what a doc told me.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
BobF

Kensington trackball for me. No more chasing a mouse around the desk.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Kensington trackball for me. No more chasing a mouse around the desk.
I have an older Logitech trackball mouse connected to my MythTV server and for the very reason of it's small footprint.

I'm using a mico-textured mouse pad with the vertical mouse that has so many ridges for the laser to see that it made the mouse move like it was sitting in molasses until I cranked up it's resolution to the 1600 DPI max. Now with it set like that I only have to move the mouse a fraction of an inch to get large movement of my cursor. And if I need the lower resolutions, there is a thumb button to cycle through 800, 1200, and 1600 DPI settings.

Nice to see ya 'round here again Bob.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
BobF

You too. I stop in every few months to get the latest info while I'm updating.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Lokasenna

Logitech MX Ergo for me - thumb trackballs are so nice. Even better, my work had an extra Logi USB nub so I can switch between my personal and work laptops just by clicking a switch on the mouse.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
You too. I stop in every few months to get the latest info while I'm updating.
I see UMC1820 in your sig and not Tascam US16x08. Is that the one you use now or is the sig info outta date?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Logitech MX Ergo for me - thumb trackballs are so nice. Even better, my work had an extra Logi USB nub so I can switch between my personal and work laptops just by clicking a switch on the mouse.
I may upgrade to Logitech's vertical mouse for that switching capability. It can do three devices and I just happen to have three devices within an arms reach that each have their own mouse right now. I've always used Logitech for my mouse, but since their one and only vertical mouse costs $99.99 I bought the $19.99 Anker to see if it would really make any difference.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I see UMC1820 in your sig and not Tascam US16x08. Is that the one you use now or is the sig info outta date?
The TASCAM got too flakey for me, so I quit bothering with it. I already had the 1820 so I unplugged the 1608.

It *should* still work fine as a standalone set of pres, not that I need any
Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
The TASCAM got too flakey for me, so I quit bothering with it. I already had the 1820 so I unplugged the 1608.

It *should* still work fine as a standalone set of pres, not that I need any
I still want a UMC1820 and even have a 1U blank panel in my desk's racks for one. I just haven't been motivated enough on that item to make it happen yet.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
BobF

Quote:
I still want a UMC1820 and even have a 1U blank panel in my desk's racks for one. I just haven't been motivated enough on that item to make it happen yet.
Well, it *is* hard to get you tightwad, retired people to turn lose of any change
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Nostrap

The Logitech Vertical Mouse is great. I also bought the Anker to see if I liked it, and then upgraded. It's definitely worth hit. Very much improved and the extra software capabilities are really nice. Best mouse I've ever owned.
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Well, it *is* hard to get you tightwad, retired people to turn lose of any change
I've actually been blowing lots of cash for the last month, just not on music gear. Finally get the big paycheck in the sky so I've been in home repair mode initially. That will change soon and I already have my eye on a few things for the studio.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrap View Post
The Logitech Vertical Mouse is great. I also bought the Anker to see if I liked it, and then upgraded. It's definitely worth hit. Very much improved and the extra software capabilities are really nice. Best mouse I've ever owned.
Cool to know. I'll be using it in Linux mostly, so the drag from screen to screen or other magic stuff won't work, but if I can connect it to my DAW, Raspberry Pi, and security DVR and then switch between them, that would justify the big price tag for me.

I've already got two unified receivers but they are on two different mice. If I'm lucky I'll be able to bluetooth the Pi, and use unified receivers for the DAW and security DVR.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
foxAsteria

I bought the same one a few years ago and it has definitely helped somewhat and never has problems.

What helped me more with the arm pain was the Steam Controller. You can customize it for mouse, keyboard, shortcuts etc. It's not great for lots of typing, but you can operate your computer from a distance and any comfortable position.

Far better than mouse for browsing the internet.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #17
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I bought the same one a few years ago and it has definitely helped somewhat and never has problems.

What helped me more with the arm pain was the Steam Controller. You can customize it for mouse, keyboard, shortcuts etc. It's not great for lots of typing, but you can operate your computer from a distance and any comfortable position.

Those are cool! Oh, you said 'steam' not 'steampunk'

Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
foxAsteria

Quote:
Those are cool! Oh, you said 'steam' not 'steampunk'
Steampunk is the coolest trend to come along in a while imo. If I could afford stuff like that I'd probably have a lot...

Steam Controller is still rad tho.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #19
Lokasenna

Quote:
Cool to know. I'll be using it in Linux mostly, so the drag from screen to screen or other magic stuff won't work
Just FYI, if the mouse has extra buttons on it you'll probably have to use xmodmap to make them do anything.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

Any notable limitations with the steam controller other than typing? I have been semi-thinking of putting another monitor on a floor stand in front of my e-drums with some sort of input device for using Reaper and adjusting drum sampler settings. Bouncing back and forth between my desk and the drums definitely isn't optimal.

Do you also use the steam controller for gaming? I have read some pretty divisive opinions on that.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #21
bjohn

I use the Evoluent Vertical Mouse; I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still great. Has five buttons plus a wheel, and a couple of buttons for adjusting pointer speed...I suppose I could assign specific functions to all those buttons but I just use the two main buttons plus the wheel. Highly recommended; I have a mouse-related repetitive strain injury (thoracic outlet syndrome, much more common than carpal tunnel) and the vertical mouse is the only solution that doesn't cause me pain other than using voice commands.

Trackpads are terrible for me, although if I put a trackpad on its side and brace it so it's at a 45 degree angle that works reasonably well.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Nostrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
I use the Evoluent Vertical Mouse; I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still great. Has five buttons plus a wheel, and a couple of buttons for adjusting pointer speed...I suppose I could assign specific functions to all those buttons but I just use the two main buttons plus the wheel. Highly recommended; I have a mouse-related repetitive strain injury (thoracic outlet syndrome, much more common than carpal tunnel) and the vertical mouse is the only solution that doesn't cause me pain other than using voice commands.

Trackpads are terrible for me, although if I put a trackpad on its side and brace it so it's at a 45 degree angle that works reasonably well.
Please give the Logitech Vertical a try! The Evoluent is a bit too heavy and can actually cause more strain than necessary. Also the angle on the Logitech is more natural, not completely vertical like the Evoluent.
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Do you also use the steam controller for gaming? I have read some pretty divisive opinions on that.
It was buggy when it came out, but it's great now. Also, people don't like change.

ea I play games with it. Maybe takes some getting used to if you prefer analog sticks, but I find it to be the most comfortable controller I've ever used.