Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Greg Savage
Human being with feelings

Default BackUp Files

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a way to set the backup files to go into a subfolder within the project folder like you can with peak and audio files?
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Greg Savage

up ski
Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Tone Ranger

Try this in Reaper's preferences!

Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Try this in Reaper's preferences!

Is that working for you? I have tried that in the past with no success.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
Try it. Im sure it works
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
strachupl

When you save project:

Result:

You name project 1 so project and media will be in folder 1.

or...

Result: you import or save project name 2, project will be in folder named 2 and media will be in media folder. Experiment.

Secondary path is I think exclusively for per track recording. Right click Record arm button on track panel and go to track recording settings. Down there you can set primary or secondary path for this track recordings.

I always thought this should be more clear.

edit:
I am sorry. You meant a projects. These settings guys already show should work.

Last edited by strachupl; 06-13-2019 at 06:09 PM.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #7
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Try it. Im sure it works
Hmm ok. So this was some misunderstanding on my part. Something needs to change in the project for it to save that way. I sat there looking at it for 10 minutes lol. The way I have it set up is like this. So everytime i hit save there was a back up made.

Is there a way to do that and have it still go into its own directory?
Attached Images
File Type: png back.png (60.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
When you save project:

Result:

You name project 1 so project and media will be in folder 1.

or...

Result: you import or save project name 2, project will be in folder named 2 and media will be in media folder. Experiment.

Secondary path is I think exclusively for per track recording. Right click Record arm button on track panel and go to track recording settings. Down there you can set primary or secondary path for this track recordings.

I always thought this should be more clear.
Gotcha. I understand this part with the audio files but the backup file thats where im running into issues
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
strachupl

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm ok. So this was some misunderstanding on my part. Something needs to change in the project for it to save that way. I sat there looking at it for 10 minutes lol. The way I have it set up is like this. So everytime i hit save there was a back up made.

Is there a way to do that and have it still go into its own directory?
I think yes but files will be saved into your documents user folder into Reaper Media folder. You can always gove there a path that is no relative so C:/blablabla
then ALL backups will go to blablbla.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Greg Savage

Quote:
I think yes but files will be saved into your documents user folder into Reaper Media folder. You can always gove there a path that is no relative so C:/blablabla
then ALL backups will go to blablbla.
Darn, was hoping there was a way to keep it in the project directory
Old 06-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
strachupl

Quote:
Darn, was hoping there was a way to keep it in the project directory
Wait, what I wrote is about project which is not saved manually by you.

Try like this:

You must experiment, this surely works.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
Greg Savage

Quote:
Wait, what I wrote is about project which is not saved manually by you.

Try like this:

You must experiment, this surely works.
What im trying to do is make that highlighted option save into a specific folder within the project directory when i hit save.

Right now the only way to do it is the way that i have it now where all the backups go into 1 file.. The problem with that is you have basically write a script or open the back file in a note pad to delete older back ups
Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
Greg Savage

Thanks to every for your help. I'll keep experimenting
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Yes, it works for me! This is what I get in my Project Folder when it's set up like that, is this what you're after??

Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Yes, it works for me! This is what I get in my Project Folder when it's set up like that, is this what you're after??

Yes, I'm after that manually. Meaning once I hit save, the time stamp file goes into the subfolder (like you have) instead of the directory
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 AM   #16
Coachz

Did you try it ?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
Greg Savage

Quote:
Did you try it ?
Yes, but it's not working. Manual saves still go into the main directory instead of the sub-directory
Old 06-14-2019, 06:02 AM   #18
Coachz

Quote:
Yes, but it's not working. Manual saves still go into the main directory instead of the sub-directory
post some screenshots of your prefs and dirs
Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #19
Greg Savage

Quote:
post some screenshots of your prefs and dirs
I put it back the way I had it originally after trying every configuration that was laid out in this thread. How are your's setup? I can post a video
Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #20
Coachz

I just let my backup projects stay in the same folder as the project file. Then I run my delete backups utility every few weeks to keep the recent ones and prune the old ones.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219038

Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #21
Greg Savage

Quote:
I just let my backup projects stay in the same folder as the project file. Then I run my delete backups utility every few weeks to keep the recent ones and prune the old ones.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219038

Yea, what im trying to do is make those go into a subfolder within the directory every time i hit save.

My only workaround is overwriting the project file so it forces a backup and that just grows in size with every save. Then I have a script now that allows me to open that and clear out the backups i don't need. A little more work but it is what it is.

I was hoping that could just save right to the subfolder when i save manually.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Coachz

Why not just save naturally when done or reaching milestones like I'll do every 30 mins or so and let the automatic backups do their thing every x mins. I do 15 mins but you could do whatever makes you comfortable. What is missed using my method?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
Greg Savage

Quote:
Why not just save naturally when done or reaching milestones like I'll do every 30 mins or so and let the automatic backups do their thing every x mins. I do 15 mins but you could do whatever makes you comfortable. What is missed using my method?
Reason being is because when I manually save, its instant. And each one of those can be later revisited. With the auto backup, it doesn't save until the allocated time after an action. I suppose I could set the auto back up to 1-2 minutes or something but the instant save and recall of the backups loading into 1 duplicate Bak file is perfect minus needing to enter code to edit it.

Plus its 1 file cluster which can get huge over time

The way you're doing it is great to i just don't want those backups in the project folder. Im kind of anal with file organization.

Could also be a little stubborn too I guess.

Last edited by Greg Savage; 06-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #24
Coachz

Quote:
Reason being is because when I manually save, its instant. And each one of those can be later revisited. With the auto backup, it doesn't save until the allocated time after an action. I suppose I could set the auto back up to 1-2 minutes or something but the instant save and recall of the backups loading into 1 duplicate Bak file is perfect minus needing to enter code to edit it.

Plus its 1 file cluster which can get huge over time

The way you're doing it is great to i just don't want those backups in the project folder. Im kind of anal with file organization.

Could also be a little stubborn too I guess.
Don't forget using my delete backup utility you could have a Windows scheduler running to delete them as often as you want and to just keep the last X number of backups.

For me it works really well because I have it saving every 15 minutes plus I can hit Ctrl s anytime I want to save if I just completed a bunch of edits that I want to commit and even though I'm accumulating a lot of backups I have a scheduled job that runs, for me every week, that deletes all but the last 15 backups from every one of my projects.

I think this gives me the best of both worlds where I can have backups as often as I want and throw out all the old ones. I hope you find a workflow that works for you. I'm just throwing out ideas of what works for me and of course everybody is different.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #25
Greg Savage

Quote:
Don't forget using my delete backup utility you could have a Windows scheduler running to delete them as often as you want and to just keep the last X number of backups.

For me it works really well because I have it saving every 15 minutes plus I can hit Ctrl s anytime I want to save if I just completed a bunch of edits that I want to commit and even though I'm accumulating a lot of backups I have a scheduled job that runs, for me every week, that deletes all but the last 15 backups from every one of my projects.

I think this gives me the best of both worlds where I can have backups as often as I want and throw out all the old ones. I hope you find a workflow that works for you. I'm just throwing out ideas of what works for me and of course everybody is different.
Unfortunately im a mac user, but i do have a tool similar that works. I wonder how hard it would be to put what we have as a script inside of Reaper hmmm
Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
Yea, what im trying to do is make those go into a subfolder within the directory every time i hit save.
Clicking save isn't related to the backup setting you are working with, that is for timed automatic backups. Save is just saving the file. If you set it up correctly, you should see timestamped .bak files being saved at the interval chosen in the settings. Actually save might trigger a backup, let me test.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #27
karbomusic

OK, it works but it seems very finicky - It took me the last 20 minutes to get it to create a backup folder and put them there FWIW. Here's the settings I'm using to get timestamped backups in a separate folder below.

Notice I have my timed backups set to every minute, that was just for testing and I think it might be possible the time span of what the interval is... has to expire before it starts working (even when using save). If that's the case, and I think it might be one could tweak settings forever and not know why it isn't working because they could sit there going in circles for hours changing settings and clicking save in futility because the timer isn't expiring.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #28
Coachz

Quote:
Unfortunately im a mac user, but i do have a tool similar that works. I wonder how hard it would be to put what we have as a script inside of Reaper hmmm
It would be easy peasy for the devs. It could go under
File
... Clean Current Project Directory
... Remove Old Project Backups
Prefs could have a box "# backups to keep" (# of recent project backups to keep when Remove Old Project Backups is run).
Old 06-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Clicking save isn't related to the backup setting you are working with, that is for timed automatic backups. Save is just saving the file. If you set it up correctly, you should see timestamped .bak files being saved at the interval chosen in the settings. Actually save might trigger a backup, let me test.

Yea save can trigger a backup in 2 ways from what I see

1. going into the main directory which I hate. Would like it to go to a subfolder within the directory

2. Being compiled into one cluster file that holds all the backups (which i use) only issue is i have to use an outside script to clean it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
OK, it works but it seems very finicky - It took me the last 20 minutes to get it to create a backup folder and put them there FWIW. Here's the settings I'm using to get timestamped backups in a separate folder below.

Notice I have my timed backups set to every minute, that was just for testing and I think it might be possible the time span of what the interval is... has to expire before it starts working (even when using save). If that's the case, and I think it might be one could tweak settings forever and not know why it isn't working because they could sit there going in circles for hours changing settings and clicking save in futility because the timer isn't expiring.

hmmm. that is one setting i have not tried, let experiment with that.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #30
Greg Savage

Thanks again for everyone's help