Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
explodingPSYCH
Human being with feelings

Default Retune artifacts on Esses (when not tuning)

I've noticed that Retune creates some strange "harshness" with Ess (and Vee) sounds on vocal tracks. This is even when no correction is occurring. All it takes is for the effect to be on.

The weird thing is that it changes randomly. Sometimes the Ess will sound normal, then it will sound strange again.

Anyone else experience this?? I've been having to automate down the wet mix of retune on EVERY "ess" sound just to ensure no strange behavior, but it makes me concerned about what else could be happening with the effect running when not tuning.

Last edited by explodingPSYCH; 06-17-2019 at 02:19 PM.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
explodingPSYCH

Nobody else is noticing issues with Retune causing issues on Esses, T's and Vees?

It randomly makes them sound like there's a bad octave down effect only on those sounds and without any tuning being applied.

I always assumed if there was no tuning that it was passing the signal unaffected.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #3
jrk

When you say "no correction is occurring" what do you mean?

Are you manually correcting - but not at that point?

Otherwise, if neither manual nor automatic correction is selected, the signal with and without ReaTune nulls completely (for me, anyhow).

Of course, ReaTune introduces some latency / delay - if this isn't getting compensated for (but it should be?), and if there's some untuned signal involved as well (pre-fx send?) then that might muck up the sound.

Maybe record some tuned and untuned examples and post them here?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
explodingPSYCH

I'm using manual mode, but not drawing in a note.

My only current work around is to either A.) Not use retune or B.) manually automate Reatune's Wet value on each point I want to tune (or off on each Ess, Tee, Vee, etc) which is what I'm doing now. When you added up backing vocals it gets pretty tedious!

I will attempt to render the issue, but as I mentioned, it doesn't happen every time. It's somewhat random.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingPSYCH View Post
I'm using manual mode, but not drawing in a note.
Even if you're in the tab for manual mode, are you sure automatic tuning isn't turned on in the other tab?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
explodingPSYCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
Even if you're in the tab for manual mode, are you sure automatic tuning isn't turned on in the other tab?
No, it's not on. I never turn it on and I always check "manual". Though it's interesting that they can apparently both be checked at the same time. That seems weird. Seems like one should deactivate the other.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Xasman

I tried playing the same item through 2 tracks with no FX on the first track and ReaTune (with the Manual correction tab open and the Manual Correction checkbox ticked - but no drawing in the window) on the second. The output of both tracks sound exactly the same here.

I verified this by inverting the polarity on track 2, which produced a perfect null at the output (i.e. no audio whatsoever). If ReaTune were altering the audio content in even the slightest way it wouldn't null completely.

So unless I'm missing something, I can't reproduce the issue here.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingPSYCH View Post
That seems weird. Seems like one should deactivate the other.
I haven't checked but my off the cuff assumption is that you can tell it to auto-correct with the ability to manually correct those notes that the auto didn't handle well or similar.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
jrk

Yep, you can do both auto and manual - I wonder if (like JayJSE2 said) the OP needs to check auto is off.

No tuning, nulls for me also.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
explodingPSYCH

So it looks as though Retune may actually be active when I'm hearing the Essing artifacts, but it's really hard to tell because the artifacts I'm noticing don't happen every time.

It seems like I have to be really careful about where I draw in the correction. If correction overlaps an Ess/T/V/etc sound then the random artifacts will start happening, but the visual interface makes it somewhat deceiving.

I think I may just use take pitch envelopes and something like G Snap to check pitch instead of Reatune. This issue (and drawn notes not moving with changes to the master grid) are enough to have me back off this utility.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
enroe

Well, that's the situation about Reatune: The underlying algorithm
is quite good, but its ergonomy is cumbersome.

If you're still curious you may look here.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
magicchord

This has happened to me too.
ReaTune defaults to Elastique 3.3.0 Soloist so I tried other algorithms to see if they made a difference.
I seem to remember I settled on Elastique 3.3.0 Efficient in which the sibilants were good and the vocal sound was acceptable.
I don't know if this is a recent occurrence or not.
magicchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29 AM   #13
bFooz

Try to change the parameter to "Speech" instead of the default "Monophonic". Seems to work here so far. I've changed it as a default in the project preferences too.

EDIT: It does not have the same sonic quality as a "Monophonic" mode though.

Last edited by bFooz; 05-14-2021 at 08:17 AM.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote