Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
IXix
Human being with feelings

Default Automation for track FX bypass (solved)

EDIT: This request has been rendered redundant by the new "Force auto-bypass on silence" options.

If a track has CPU heavy FX but is silent for most of a song, it makes sense to bypass those FX while the track is not contributing to the mix, especially when the cumulative CPU usage of a project is getting near the system breaking point.

Although it is possible to set up master/slave parameter modulation to bypass multiple FX from a single bypass switch (which can then be automated), this is fiddly to set up and awkward to maintain (if you add new FX you have to remember slave them too).

An automation envelope to toggle the track FX bypass button would be much better, providing an easy way to enable/disable track FX en-masse during a mix as well as an obvious visual cue as to the state of the track FX at any given time. This would be extremely useful for users (like me ) struggling with underpowered computers.

Please?

FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4906

Last edited by IXix; 04-29-2023 at 03:43 AM. Reason: No longer needed
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
drakeblood

Wouldnt it create issues/cracking with the PDC kicking in/out? (assuming worst scenario: a plugin with latency)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeblood View Post
Wouldnt it create issues/cracking with the PDC kicking in/out? (assuming worst scenario: a plugin with latency)
You get that anyway if you automate the bypass for a single plugin. I'm proposing a shortcut to allow the same thing for all track FX at once. As with bypassing single FX, the transition points would just have to be placed where there's no audio. If you want smooth transitions, you automate the wet/dry params, not the bypass.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
James HE

not elegant, but doable...

You could write a little "Action trigger" JS just for this, and put MIDItoReaControlPath after the effect (or use a MIDI hardware (or virtual Loopback) to fire a custom action.

The Js would have to know the track id, somehow. This could simply be a slider that you'd adjust manually, there might be some scripting magic that could make it automatic - not sure.

then, you'd just make the JS send a program change (or cc) and the macro would be assigned to that PC or CC message.

basically tie "Toggle bypass for track (x)" to MIDI channel(whatever), PC(x), and have the JS send that value.

(or just select track (X), and have toggle bypass for selected track on a different message.)

*you might have to turn this off when rendering - it might be automatically ignored - which is fine is this case. (as long as the FX isn't stuck OFF)

Last edited by James HE; 08-25-2013 at 05:42 PM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
not elegant, but doable...
My point exactly. I want elegant.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
nofish

^^^

This request is for bypassing all effects on a track together with a single envelope, and this we don't have yet in Reaper afaik.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
plamuk

cool. nice low hanging fruit FR. i was only just made aware that you could bypass FX instances with an envelope (thanks Darkstar!) and it's going to free up some resources. this would be a step further.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote