Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default Any " Hit Songs" Recorded/Mixed In Reaper..?

Hello..As I learn to use Reaper, I couldn't help but wonder if any national/charted songs has been produced in Reaper..?..( recorded and mixed)..If so, can someone post one..? Thanks..
snatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Kenny Gioia

This question is asked a lot and it just makes no sense to me.

It's just a piece of software. It has no ability or inability to make hit records.

People who make hit records find what is comfortable for them and use it.

And it can be anything.

It's just numbers. Ones and Zeros.

Does it make sense to use the same brand of calculator that the richest people in the world use?

I use Photoshop all the time. My graphics stink.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Mich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's just a piece of software. It has no ability or inability to make hit records.
OT: I always wonder when the first #1 song will come out that is entirely composed, played, recorded and produced by a computer (artificial intelligence). I mean the technology is there (synthesizer both for instruments and vocals) and algorithms for composition and analysis of previous hit songs are also been worked on ... so it's only a matter of time.

As for the OP:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=61485

Also I have to agree with Kenny that the software doesn't matter and probably the only reason why there is not hit song done with REAPER (yet, or at least non that I know of) is because most studios either use hardware or Pro Tools or other more established DAWs out there, though with time and more acceptance for REAPER this will surely change.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
run, megalodon

Quote:
This question is asked a lot and it just makes no sense to me.

People who make hit records find what is comfortable for them and use it.

And it can be anything.

It's just numbers. Ones and Zeros.

Does it make sense to use the same brand of calculator that the richest people in the world use?

I use Photoshop all the time. My graphics stink.
Maybe he is not wondering about it in the Gearslutz sense that it seems like your are reacting to (Is this pro? Should I use this if I want to be pro?). I agree that the requirements software has to meet for you to be able to make good music in it are very low, and surpassed by pretty much any music software out there, but I still don't think that the OP's question is without merit. Reaper is not so old, just breaking onto the scene, and it would just be nice to know if anything we are listening to on the radio was creating using our "thing".
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Maybe he is not wondering about it in the Gearslutz sense that it seems like your are reacting to (Is this pro? Should I use this if I want to be pro?). I agree that the requirements software has to meet for you to be able to make good music in it are very low, and surpassed by pretty much any music software out there, but I still don't think that the OP's question is without merit. Reaper is not so old, just breaking onto the scene, and it would just be nice to know if anything we are listening to on the radio was creating using our "thing".
I agree. It would be "nice to know" but I don't see any reason why everything we hear on the radio couldn't have been recorded using Reaper.

And a hit song IMHO has little to do with a great recording using great equipment.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Exactly....!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
snatchman

Quote:
I agree. It would be "nice to know" but I don't see any reason why everything we hear on the radio couldn't have been recorded using Reaper.

And a hit song IMHO has little to do with a great recording using great equipment.
I agree that it's all about the " song/talent, etc.) but still knowing that the software is capable is a plus..Plenty of ' hit songs" were supposely recorded on Adats but it still didn't stop people from wondering if they were capable.( especially after hearing the na' crowd)
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
tspring

Fellas, this is like asking how the home team is doing. To me, its not about how Reaper is doing, its about how Reaperites are doing.

Maybe I glanced at the title of this thread - and read it subliminally. Anyway I started a nearly identical thread a couple of hours after this one was started:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=61485

Here is what Kihoalu had to say in that thread:

------------
Not recorded, but finalized with Reaper and a previous version of Izotope Ozone that does not have their new (and unacceptable) obnoxious DRM:

Kani Wai, was released through Daniel Ho productions and Nominated for two Na Hoku Hanahano Awards (The Hawaiian equivalent of the Grammies) this year, and is selling fairly well (but it is not likely to make anyone rich by any stretch of the imagination).

Last edited by tspring; 07-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
I agree that it's all about the " song/talent, etc.) but still knowing that the software is capable is a plus..
I'm confused. How is this different than what I "reacted" to?

Quote:
Plenty of ' hit songs" were supposely recorded on Adats but it still didn't stop people from wondering if they were capable.( especially after hearing the na' crowd)
I'm confused even more. If a hit song doesn't prove that it's capable in your eyes, what are you looking for here?

Just looking for a bit o' clarity.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
snatchman

Quote:
I'm confused. How is this different than what I "reacted" to?

I'm confused even more. If a hit song doesn't prove that it's capable in your eyes, what are you looking for here?

Just looking for a bit o' clarity.
Hey Kenny..Not trying to start anything personally or anything as I respect yor creditials ( as I'm gonna get one of the Reaper DVD), it's that I was only asking if anyone had released a " hit song" on Reaper..Sure, it's 0s and 1's but I'm sure it's not overly simplified as that.The reason I stated Adats were used was that they are just 0's and 1'0s also, but it didn't stop people from asking this same type question. ( about other digital devices)..Not saying that Reaper is not capable of recording a'hit song" ( if the song itself is a hit, person recording the song, etc.) I just wanted to hear one..
Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Hey Kenny..Not trying to start anything personally or anything as I respect yor creditials ( as I'm gonna get one of the Reaper DVD), it's that I was only asking if anyone had released a " hit song" on Reaper..Sure, it's 0s and 1's but I'm sure it's not overly simplified as that.The reason I stated Adats were used was that they are just 0's and 1'0s also, but it didn't stop people from asking this same type question. ( about other digital devices)..Not saying that Reaper is not capable of recording a'hit song" ( if the song itself is a hit, person recording the song, etc.) I just wanted to hear one..
Gotcha. No dis-respect taken or meant towards you.

The problem with ADATs were the A/D and D/A convertors. I don't think anyone questioned their capability of capturing and reproducing digital data. Although if you waited long enough, those tapes stopped playing.

Reaper does not have that issue as you can easily use whatever convertor you want.

BTW - I recorded a song using nothing but an Adat and it sounded great. I was using all Neve and API mic preamps with great microphones.

The bad rap those things got IMHO was based on the things around them. Most people were using Mackie consoles, cheap microphones and didn't have much engineering skills. So, of course, they sounded bad.

Very few professionals were using them so they were always looked down upon. I thought they were fine except for the PITA of waiting for them to lock. Here come the guitars. Here come the vocals. .

Luckily I only had to use them for that one song.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
snatchman

Quote:
Gotcha. No dis-respect taken or meant towards you.

The problem with ADATs were the A/D and D/A convertors. I don't think anyone questioned their capability of capturing and reproducing digital data. Although if you waited long enough, those tapes stopped playing.

Reaper does not have that issue as you can easily use whatever convertor you want.

BTW - I recorded a song using nothing but an Adat and it sounded great. I was using all Neve and API mic preamps with great microphones.

The bad rap those things got IMHO was based on the things around them. Most people were using Mackie consoles, cheap microphones and didn't have much engineering skills. So, of course, they sounded bad.

Very few professionals were using them so they were always looked down upon. I thought they were fine except for the PITA of waiting for them to lock. Here come the guitars. Here come the vocals. .

Luckily I only had to use them for that one song.
Cool....!..Thanks again..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Sound asleep

I don't know the specifics about every hit song, who published them, who engineered them, which studio produced them or anything like that, but still i'm quite confident that i am correct if i say that no, no hit song was produced using reaper.

i'm not saying they couldn't be, but just they aren't.

the industry standard is pro tools. the big studios use pro tools, the engineers know pro tools, and they don't want to spend the time learning something else new, even if it is simpler. time is money for them, they get paid alot of cash to produce records, and spend their business time doing just that.

reaper is a real kind of fixer upper DAW, you need to spend quite a bit of time tinkering with it and configuring it to your liking.

me, i like that, because if i have an idea of how i want my DAW to be, i can make that happen almost all the time.

but hit songs are not made with reaper. it's not because reaper sucks, or because it doesn't sound good enough, or because it is limited in any way, or no, actually it is limited in programming swing for example as per my signature. you can program swing beats in reaper. it's just not doable. so if you're a lucrative business you can't use it just for that reason. if someone comes and asks you to program them a beat that has swing you're screwed and need to use something else.

it also doesn't have full features like standard notation, stuff that would help make it industry standard by spanning multiple uses in the industry.

reaper is not this. reaper is a small quick and customizable flexible DAW that requires lots of tinkering and is still rough around the edges.

it's not industry standard material. maybe if it was like linux and one day somebody made some custom reaper that was totally awesome and that became the main reaper everybody had, and it was easy to import and export to and from pro tools, or easy enough, along with the ability to have keyboard shortcuts match pro tools as closely as possible and stuff like that, then it might have a chance. but for sure not even with all that if you can't even program swing with it.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Kenny Gioia

True. Pro Tools is the standard. But that doesn't mean productions doesn't start in other DAWs.

Most big writers have to be flexible. Which means showing up to hotel rooms and creating on a laptop. Most of the guys that I know doing that are doing it in Logic. Could easily switch to Reaper. That's what I will do.

They will transfer it to Pro Tools for themselves (maybe) or just for the mixer. And that Mixer will probably be using Pro Tools as a tape machine. Using the SSL for actual mixing.

So who gets the credit?

Pro Tools may remain the standard just as 2" tape or Sony 3348s did, but that doesn't mean they are being used to create the song or the production. I've created many songs in Reason.

And I can't imagine any Mixer refusing a song sent to them as WAV files. I actually prefer it.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
folkrav

Pro Tools is actually a standard, right, mostly because of Pro Tools HD systems with which they took over the entire business back then, when computers were not enough powerful to handle respectable sessions. But, it is an "artificial standard" these last years, as computers get so powerful that TDM and outboard dedicated systems for plugin management becomes... I'll not use the word useless, but more like less necessary : a lot of great songs that had good success have been made ITB with minimum budget. If you look in the "underground" music (well... I have some trouble calling some metalcore bands I want to give as examples "underground" because of the hype they create in this market), I believe Joey Sturgis, who recorded and mixed The Devil Wears Prada, Oceano, Miss May I, and I miss some... Uses Reaper, Pod Farm and some other Native VSTs you wouldn't think of. Not 100% sure, but still.

Pro Tools is the mainstream standard, what's asked for radiophonic successes, as if you can't use Pro Tools, some "big shot" ingineers will look at you like as you were an alien.

But a lot of people will

PS : (A guy who told me a lot I know now told me "there's two DAWs you should absolutely know if you want to be effective in music industry : 1- Pro Tools 2- Absolutely any other DAW you want to use and prefer. In my case, I owned an M-Powered system for over a year and made the switch to Reaper when I started to build my mini home-studio for local band recordings. I had luck to work with a Pro Tools HD rig, too. Overall, except two or three things, I prefer Reaper to PT (TDM / NATIVE).)

Call to Arms Studios
folkrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #16
EricM

I believe there was one called Cheeky Bum Bum or something...
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Seems to be "pro" enough for the BBC:

http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/we...r-tv-and-radio

Quote:
All radio and main TV audio is in stereo. Surround sound stems are being recorded on to hard disk - either SADiE or REAPER - for 5.1 on the BBC HD channel and any later DVD releases or subsequent broadcasts.
(Just found this by accident)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork View Post
Seems to be "pro" enough for the BBC:

http://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/we...r-tv-and-radio

(Just found this by accident)
This actually makes more sense to me. This is a test of stability and durability.

No reputable company would use a specific DAW if it was buggy and crash prone.

So who uses what in these cases, does matter.

But if you're trying to figure out which one "sounds" the best or is capable of producing a "hit record", the answer IMHO is all of them.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Yay, it's great to see "BBC", "REAPER", and "5.1" all in the same sentence.

[edit] a sentence that is not about a fatal cragging incident that is.

Last edited by schwa; 07-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Beastmode Beats

Great convo, because I’m coming
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
Gass n Klang

I mixed the "zwischen meinen Zeilen" live EP of german singer LEA, if 4,2 million clicks for highest rated song on youtube is "hit" enough for you.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:05 AM   #22
superblonde.org

Quote:
Hello..As I learn to use Reaper, I couldn't help but wonder if any national/charted songs has been produced in Reaper..?..( recorded and mixed)..If so, can someone post one..? Thanks..
its a good question.

Garageband for example has been 'validated' multiple times over the years by having hits released 'using it' (although it seems a bit nebulous regarding exactly how much of its feature set was actually used for recording, since it is so limited)
Old 10-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #23
superblonde.org

Quote:
True. Pro Tools is the standard. But that doesn't mean productions doesn't start in other DAWs.

Most big writers have to be flexible. Which means showing up to hotel rooms and creating on a laptop. Most of the guys that I know doing that are doing it in Logic. Could easily switch to Reaper. That's what I will do.

They will transfer it to Pro Tools for themselves (maybe) or just for the mixer. And that Mixer will probably be using Pro Tools as a tape machine. Using the SSL for actual mixing.
Obsolescence and archivability are important in industry use. In 30 years or 50 years, where will those ProTools systems be in terms of archived condition, and will they still be runnable; I bet, no. Whereas, since Reaper does not have a required license key dongle, and has numerous versions with backwards compatibility and easy installation, I would assume archiving and working restoration is very easy and possible.

If I were a big studio, I would be looking hard at the financial figures regarding reliable archived storage of property ($$$) and likely the winner would be Reaper by a long shot.

When Universal Studios was hit with lawsuits due to fires in their master tape vaults, the claims ran into tens of millions of $$$ in property damage. As well as property which was not recoverable. That was a fire, but technological obsolescence is a fire burning down a library's property in its own way as the calendar clicks by.