Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #41
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by @non View Post
Is that in the song? Can I use it?
Uhm, not really the wording in my song, maybe the sentiment... but great output in that writing...! I'd grab it, if I were you. Btw, isn't that Einstein?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #42
zeekat

Quote:
Is that in the song? Can I use it?
This is a monologue from the video game Far Cry 3:

Video game villains: top philosophy source of 2014

(it's rather fun game btw)

Also late congrats on the work on OPs song, sounds fantastic!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #43
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Video game villains: top philosophy source of 2014

(it's rather fun game btw)

Also late congrats on the work on OPs song, sounds fantastic!
Wow, I had no idea... almost better in writing... thanks, the work has been great, take a bow, partners...! You totally rock.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #44
Jorgen

Quote:
Its very annoying at that level because then every detail has to be perfect

Peace;
Annon

(I believe those were Einstein's exact words)
Thank you for listening. Now you are right of course with the perfection thing... I usually hide behind the "Demo" sign... and the truth is the truth. It is what it is. I try to take pride in it, bleed a little...
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #45
Jorgen

Quote:
The problem is its much to good to be a demo

so people compare it to songs w $10,000 budgets

but your SO close.
and all you can do is go though every tiny detail
tiny fix, tiny fix,

they call it tweeking

I hope my English is clear for you
Thanks... yes, I understand about the demo being too good... I told a friend just that once. He had made some great sounding productions, full band, horns, strings, the works... And still it was a demo...

Thing is, everything sounds so good these days right out of the box. Daws are so powerful.

Any details in particular you think of? What needs fixing to be fully pro?

How about some more ear candy? (daggdemo) If so, how, where and what? I suppose I could be more elaborate with the instruments I have going, especially the two guitars. If so, maybe those guitars could do the "ear candy" as well... I feel it should be something the ensemble can do with what they got... no suprising outburst of Hollywood horns, or strings... or didgeridoo...!

I want a woman to sing with me... somebody like Grace Slick! Always wanted that and have done some duetting with different singers... I love to sing harmony, SO much more fun than jamming/playing with another guitarist. My favorite partner is a professor these days, has a family and everything... and I am still doing demos.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #46
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Thanks... yes, I understand about the demo being too good... I told a friend just that once. He had made some great sounding productions, full band, horns, strings, the works... And still it was a demo...

Thing is, everything sounds so good these days right out of the box. Daws are so powerful.

Any details in particular you think of? What needs fixing to be fully pro?

How about some more ear candy? (daggdemo) If so, how, where and what? I suppose I could be more elaborate with the instruments I have going, especially the two guitars. If so, maybe those guitars could do the "ear candy" as well... I feel it should be something the ensemble can do with what they got... no suprising outburst of Hollywood horns, or strings... or didgeridoo...!

I want a woman to sing with me... somebody like Grace Slick! Always wanted that and have done some duetting with different singers... I love to sing harmony, SO much more fun than jamming/playing with another guitarist. My favorite partner is a professor these days, has a family and everything... and I am still doing demos.
I agree with Jörgen, what he has is demos, not a finished product.
Jörgen is into something important here, he says what he wants "more into" the composition (duets, guitars etc...), and that makes it a demo, because his not there yet.

I could say alot about Jörgens music, why I also think it is a demo, and what is missing. Of course it would be my opinion, and no one elses (maybe...)
But I'm not going to say anything about this, not here at least, because I don't have the songwriters permission to do so.

To clearly divide the border between demo and a finished product, is first of all a prinsipal decision by the composer/songwriter to decide, BUT, most of the time, every composer/songwriter need help to decide what a finished product is, mostly from a producer.
That makes the difference, because the composer/songwriter is always biased about playing and quality of his/her personal recordings.

A difficult subject, but still...
mollvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #47
mollvik

Something important to think about is;

An artist/songwriter should normally not produce his/her own music, at least not alone.

An artist/songwriter should normally not master his/her own music either.

But what people do (including me, sometimes...) is another story...
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #48
Jorgen

Interesting things you say, guys, thank you. Mollvik, feel free to speak your mind...

The problem is at least twofolded... how do you sound "demo" these days? Everything, software to hardware, is readily available everywhere... everything sounds big and clear... yes, daws DO have a sound: big, clear megasound right out of the box...

Of course you can mangle that sound to kingdom come with all you've got, plug-wise and so... What in heavens name needs polishing today??? It's the other way around, you sometimes want/need to make things smaller... how not to totally fill your cans with smashing sounds... midi is simply too much... and doesn't fit my style, really.

Another thing: it's safe to hang around in demo land, always excused beforehand... it's more of a "look what I could do, if I really wanted...!" thing. I have serious problems with finishing things, so it's all basically demos... I should change that, I think.

I would love a producer, an old school-type, somebody who at least know the theory basics... don't know if they are still around... somebody who can make arrangements and sit in on piano or handclaps or whatever needed...
Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #49
mollvik

Quote:
Interesting things you say, guys, thank you. Mollvik, feel free to speak your mind...
Hi Jörgen, sorry the discussion is past that point already, so I wont say anything about your song(s) here...
However, if you want me to give you a personal feedback, with me trying to put on me my "old producer role", I can.
But bear in mind; I'm not famous for being "wordly" gentle, it could "hurt" you what I say, if you're faint hearted on critisism.

(I'm not so cold blooded bastard, as I seem here, just a bit.. )

Hey, but who have said the road towards the top is free of pain?! Muhahahahahahaha!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 AM   #50
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollvik View Post
Hey, but who have said the road towards the top is free of pain?! Muhahahahahahaha!!
Bring it on. Besides, the way to the bottom isn't exactly free of pain either...hoho...
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #51
mollvik

Quote:
Bring it on. Besides, the way to the bottom isn't exactly free of pain either...hoho...
Jörgen I have sent you an email... don't kill me
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #52
Jorgen

Default bass and keys anybody?

https://soundcloud.com/jorgensandber...-ha-mig-140126
(update, see following post 55)

This is a country track, sort of... I'm going to tidy up the guitars during this weekend. But the song seriously needs some real playing, not my lame programming... any takers?

Yes, it sure is a "demo"... some goofy things are going on in the arrangement, will deal with that, too...

I'm very fond of the groove, too bad I ripped the loops from Independence Free... not really creative. But I suppose they are free.

Last edited by Jorgen; 01-26-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: link updated
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #53
mollvik

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/jorgensandber...ll-ha-mig40124

This is a country track, sort of... I'm going to tidy up the guitars during this weekend. But the song seriously needs some real playing, not my lame programming... any takers?

Yes, it sure is a "demo"... some goofy things are going on in the arrangement, will deal with that, too...

I'm very fond of the groove, too bad I ripped the loops from Independence Free... not really creative. But I suppose they are free.
Jörgen, Keep going like this and you will have a great album, in the end
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #54
Jorgen

(xxxupdatexxx link/song toast, updated version see next post.)

Last edited by Jorgen; 02-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #55
Jorgen

https://soundcloud.com/jorgensandber...illhamig140202

Update, wip... (how about dip: demo in progress?)

There's something about the intro... it has always been those cords and periods, but not that particular phrasing... is it toast? a lift? totally obvious? or free market?

Yeah, the sologit to the left is me improvising, looking for hooks and all, see what I keep... early days... I wrote it when Twin Peaks was new and cool... actually, I wrote it in English, inspired by Rita Hayworth in Gilda... that song she sings, playing the guitar... master performance, iirc...
Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #56
mollvik

Quote:

There's something about the intro... it has always been those cords and periods, but not that particular phrasing... is it toast? a lift? totally obvious? or free market?

Yeah, the sologit to the left is me improvising, looking for hooks and all, see what I keep... early days... I wrote it when Twin Peaks was new and cool... actually, I wrote it in English, inspired by Rita Hayworth in Gilda... that song she sings, playing the guitar... master performance, iirc...
I don't get access to play it.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #57
Jorgen

Quote:
I don't get access to play it.
Hm, neither can I... get a 502, gateway time-out... must be my immense popularity... Soundcloud is really shaky, I think.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
mollvik

Quote:
Hm, neither can I... get a 502, gateway time-out... must be my immense popularity... Soundcloud is really shaky, I think.
Yupp! not the first time Soundcloud has gone in to the clouds...
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #59
mollvik

Quote:

Jörgen, I must say I get more and more impressed of your ability as an arranger and composer.
The intro is perfect.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 AM   #60
Jorgen

Quote:
Jörgen, I must say I get more and more impressed of your ability as an arranger and composer.
The intro is perfect.
Thanks, great, that's reassuring, I keep the intro. I like it.