Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default Listen to this mix and evaluate please...

I'm putting together 5 songs to master my first EP, this is one of them.

(That's the updated link, this is the last mix where I've already implemented the replies suggested by the posts below on this thread)

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...eview1/s-pM8mD

I really need critics.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by saresu.bass; 08-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
m5blackmond

Honestly, sounds really good. Instrumental-wise, you can hear everything easily. Maybe the vocals are just a tad too much in the front? I have no idea how to mix vocals though, so I wouldn't take that criticism too seriously.

Great work! I remember liking the last thing you posted as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
NowoTone

Just listening to your songs on Soundcloud. What can I say - really great, love the production, the instruments are well balanced and well spaced, very clear sound.

I haven't got access to my monitoring speakers or the very good phones, but everything seems well positioned in the sonic spectrum. The bass has a lot of bottom without being overpowering. Especially the acoustic guitars sound great.

In short, beautiful pop songs that beg to be listened to repeatedly
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
mostlyjustj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saresu.bass View Post
I really need critics.

Thank you in advance.
Haha, sorry you don't seem to be getting much in the way of criticism. I can't either. This is not my favourite style of music - but the sound is pretty damn good - both the recording quality and the mix. Everything sits pretty nicely, but if I could say one thing it's that the vocal part seems a bit overpowering for such a laidback song.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Sonic Vampire

as everyone else has said, music sounds good, just need that vocal to "sit" in the mix more
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Fex

Agreed. The vocal could probably be EQd better to take some of the bass end out. After that, the vocal could still sit back a bit in the mix. It can afford to get wetter, if you like. Just think of it as any other musical instrument, and mix it so that it serves the mix.

One philosophy of mixing has you start by mixing the voice and the snare drum. Then you fit everything else around them.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
The vocal could probably be EQd better to take some of the bass end out.
I'm sorry English isn't my first language... �� I'm trying to figure it out what this sentence means.
Does "Vocal taking some of the bass out" mean boasting the vocal bass frequencies and maybe hi-passing or cutting some low bass freq on bass? Would you clarify it a bit more please?

Thanks a lot!

Peace

Last edited by saresu.bass; 08-18-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
Fex

No. Hi-pass the vocal.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Giano
Banned

Marvelous ! You have a very special and unique style of singing, sounds awry sometimes, but itīs because of the fact that your kind of singing is new to my ears and also the portuguese language.
Well, if one listens to a flamenco singer it sounds strange,too or Hendrix and Dylon they could not sing at all, but it sounded very interesting, simply because it was authentic and unique.

So,keep it up ! :-)

How did you record the drums ?
Did you play everything by yourself ?
Whatīs your vocal mic ?

Last edited by Giano; 08-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
Giano
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry English isn't my first language... �� I'm trying to figure it out what this sentence means.
Does "Vocal taking some of the bass out" mean boasting the vocal bass frequencies and maybe hi-passing or cutting some low bass freq on bass? Would you clarify it a bit more please?

Thanks a lot!

Peace
No, do not boost the vocalīs bass frequencies, maybe a little attenuation concerning some verses !?
And also try to experiment with more reverb on vocals, try two reverbs (maybe a plate reverb) :
a reverb with about 90 ms predelay followed by a second one with about 8 ms pre-delay (take the same reverb plugin twice, just with two different pre-delay settings)!

Last edited by Giano; 08-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Giano
Banned

sorry, itīs just the other way round:
First a reverb with a short predelay followed by a reverb with a long pre-delay !
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post

How did you record the drums ?
Did you play everything by yourself ?
Whatīs your vocal mic ?

I programmed the drums with Addictive Drums. The rest I played all myself.
I recorded the vocals using a AKG c2000b on a Editor Keys vocal booth.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
Giano
Banned

I dig your tracks, I see, AKG 2000b, well, maybe a tube mic could even enhance your voice ?! Have you ever tried ?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #14
saresu.bass

How's the vocal now? Still too upfront? unbalanced?

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...rsion2/s-H7vSx

What I've done:

The vocal was already high passed around 150hz, this time I high passsed till around 240hz;

Sent to the a pair of reverb (1st short reverb, 2nd long reverb);

Also sent to a Delay...

and played with the Prefix phase alignment tool;
Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #15
Fex

Much better.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
NowoTone

Quote:
How's the vocal now? Still too upfront? unbalanced
Quote:
Much better.
And there you have it - musical differences
I'm not at my proper studio at the moment, so can't listen with the good stuff, but listening with my phones I have the following impressions:
  • the vocals seem unbalanced, I hear them louder on the right side
  • for some reason the vocal sound seems a little muddy and not clearly defined (I thought you had applied a lowpass, and was very surprised it was in fact a highpass ...
  • at 1'50" or so the backing vox was very cool upfront, now it sounds rather distant and again not clearly defined
  • The "Aahaas" at 2'04" are also more distant, but here it works for me

So all in all, I prefer the original version. Perhaps turn the reverbs down so that they are not noticable as such, but provide some aural glue.

Question regarding the guitars - are they miked or do you use VSTs? The sound is superb!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowoTone View Post
And there you have it - musical differences
I'm not at my proper studio at the moment, so can't listen with the good stuff, but listening with my phones I have the following impressions:
  • the vocals seem unbalanced, I hear them louder on the right side
  • for some reason the vocal sound seems a little muddy and not clearly defined (I thought you had applied a lowpass, and was very surprised it was in fact a highpass ...
  • at 1'50" or so the backing vox was very cool upfront, now it sounds rather distant and again not clearly defined
  • The "Aahaas" at 2'04" are also more distant, but here it works for me

So all in all, I prefer the original version. Perhaps turn the reverbs down so that they are not noticable as such, but provide some aural glue.

Question regarding the guitars - are they miked or do you use VSTs? The sound is superb!
I deeply appreciate ur time to listen and write all this. Thank you so much

Another version below... How about it now?

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...sion-3/s-v3GwP

Peace
Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
NowoTone

I like the voice much better than in the second attempt, it now has more presence!
Tiny room for improvement (in my view) - the backing vocals (e.g. at 1'55") could be a little more upfront, like in the first version.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 AM   #19
Giano
Banned

Quote:
How's the vocal now? Still too upfront? unbalanced?

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...rsion2/s-H7vSx

What I've done:

The vocal was already high passed around 150hz, this time I high passsed till around 240hz;

Sent to the a pair of reverb (1st short reverb, 2nd long reverb);

Also sent to a Delay...

and played with the Prefix phase alignment tool;
Yeah :-) Love it Great work !
What kind of reverb have you applied (Hardware? Software plugin ? Preset? (small hall, chamber, plate, ambience ?...?)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
polysoniq

Hi, nice instrumentation.I think you need to work on the vocal some more ,there are places where it gets buried by the music .I would try doubling the vocal and use compression with a high ratio say 10:1 and low threshold ,low enough to even out the dynamics in the second track.I would then combine and blend levels to taste in a vocal buss, psuedo parallel compression.Also for the style of music I thing that the vocal is too strident so I would try to make it more mellow/soothing with a medium plate reverb adjusted to be more wet than you have currently.I hear that you did some more work on the intonation of the vocal track as compared to the first version and it sounds much better try to work it until you cant hear are thing that sticks out .Again very nice work. Good luck.
polysoniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #21
Giano
Banned

[QUOTE=polysoniq;1393368]Hi, nice instrumentation.I think you need to work on the vocal some more ,there are places where it gets buried by the music .I would try doubling the vocal and use compression ...

I listened again and I agree with polysoniq, though itīs better than yr 1st version

Last edited by Giano; 08-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #22
saresu.bass

This is new version,

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/comece-epv4

I listened this mix in an ordinary small cd player and it sounded so horrible and muddy around the 220hz area so I cut some dbs from the piano and guitars, mainly the acoustic guitars.
I also put a high pass around 230hz after the reverb in the track that I glue all tracks.
I still hear this mix isn't as clean as I want though... but I'm afraid to weaken to much the 200hz area, I'm not confident yet about EQs, so I'll probably call the day for this.

As for the vocal getting buried in some parts, I tried to fix this by riding the faders in those silent parts rather than messing much with reverbs and stuff. Again I suck using reverbs.

Last edited by saresu.bass; 08-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #23
saresu.bass

Quote:
Yeah :-) Love it Great work !
What kind of reverb have you applied (Hardware? Software plugin ? Preset? (small hall, chamber, plate, ambience ?...?)
Variety Of Sound epicVerb, plate
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #24
polysoniq

It is better still ,now since you are using variety of sound plugs,try putting FerricTDS followed by Thrillseeker LA on the vocal buss followed by a limiter.I checked the mix with my sub engaged and I would high pass at 35-40 hertz to clean up the rumble.I have a B&W sub that goes down to 22 hertz and then some I can clearly hear the nuances of subbass material.If you are having the final mix mastered then leave the high pass low pass of the mix to the mastering engineer.You really should strap a compression chain across the vocal buss .If you like send me just the vocal stem and I will compress to taste to make it fit the music if you are happy for me to do that.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #25
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysoniq View Post
It is better still ,now since you are using variety of sound plugs,try putting FerricTDS followed by Thrillseeker LA on the vocal buss followed by a limiter.I checked the mix with my sub engaged and I would high pass at 35-40 hertz to clean up the rumble.I have a B&W sub that goes down to 22 hertz and then some I can clearly hear the nuances of subbass material.If you are having the final mix mastered then leave the high pass low pass of the mix to the mastering engineer.You really should strap a compression chain across the vocal buss .If you like send me just the vocal stem and I will compress to taste to make it fit the music if you are happy for me to do that.
Thanks a lot! That would be great! How do u want me to send it?

Btw, I'll master myself...
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #26
polysoniq

If you have a dropbox account or otherwise you could upload the file and give me a link to download .My email address is "polysoniq@gmail.com".Keep up the the good work !!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #27
saresu.bass

Quote:
try putting FerricTDS followed by Thrillseeker LA on the vocal buss followed by a limiter.
Version 5

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/comece-ep5/s-kishl

I put Ferric, Classic Tape preset, I couldnt tame the dynamics with only one thrillseeker (I spent the last hour trying to tame the dynamics with one Thrillseeker and tweaking the hell of automation, and it still sucks), so I put 2 Thrillseeker, same config but with each range knob lowered.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #28
polysoniq

OK ,now the tone of the vocal in the first verse sounds good however it is not consistent as the song progresses and I now hear a problem with plosives,ie k ,p,b t,g sounds are making the compressors work extremely hard in some places resulting in high gain reduction and increase in amplitude on those sounds.You have to set the attack of the compres
sion so as not to compress those transients on the vocal.Increase the attack time until the problem disappears .I would also not use 2 thrillseekers.one with a limiter should work , try reapers event horizon limiter to reduce the ceiling of the track 3 - 6 db then raise the volume in the mix.it also seems like you used the reverb as an insert which is getting compressed too much so try using it in a send return config.In the middle of the song when the music gains intensity you may have to increase the gain on the automation as the instruments overpower the vocal particularly at that spot there is also a change in the tonality of the vox maybe you voiced at different times ,days so I would split the vocal onto multiple channels and EQ /process the problem parts separately to match the parts tha sound ok.This way you can have customised compression settings for each problem spot in stead of trying to overcompress all of the vocals.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #29
polysoniq

Also another technique to use would be to split/chop up the vocals into phrases and words on the track and use the volume envelope on each segment to adjust the amplitude basically you want the visual representation of the waveforms to be roughly equal in height/amplitude before automation /compression.this way you can use the plugs more for color and then you would not hat the problem with the plosives.Give it a try.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #30
saresu.bass

Quote:
OK ,now the tone of the vocal in the first verse sounds good however it is not consistent as the song progresses and I now hear a problem with plosives,ie k ,p,b t,g sounds are making the compressors work extremely hard in some places resulting in high gain reduction and increase in amplitude on those sounds.You have to set the attack of the compres
sion so as not to compress those transients on the vocal.Increase the attack time until the problem disappears .I would also not use 2 thrillseekers.one with a limiter should work , try reapers event horizon limiter to reduce the ceiling of the track 3 - 6 db then raise the volume in the mix.it also seems like you used the reverb as an insert which is getting compressed too much so try using it in a send return config.In the middle of the song when the music gains intensity you may have to increase the gain on the automation as the instruments overpower the vocal particularly at that spot there is also a change in the tonality of the vox maybe you voiced at different times ,days so I would split the vocal onto multiple channels and EQ /process the problem parts separately to match the parts tha sound ok.This way you can have customised compression settings for each problem spot in stead of trying to overcompress all of the vocals.

Also another technique to use would be to split/chop up the vocals into phrases and words on the track and use the volume envelope on each segment to adjust the amplitude basically you want the visual representation of the waveforms to be roughly equal in height/amplitude before automation /compression.this way you can use the plugs more for color and then you would not hat the problem with the plosives.Give it a try.
Great information! I gonna try all that. Thank u so much! Seriously.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #31
polysoniq

Glad to help
Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #32
saresu.bass

Hi, How is it now?

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/com...eview1/s-pM8mD
Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #33
Giano
Banned

I listened to the whole track and enjoyed it :-) I like what you did with your voice at 2:36.
This is a very good composition, all instruments sound good to my ears and the voice is pretty good now, even though I sometimes was not sure if the snare is good, maybe too predominat ? but I think itīs perfect, itīs just that one tries to find something to criticize !
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #34
Dafinga

I find the mix very pleasant as well. I'll instead comment on the actual music. I don't enjoy this kind of music - it really just sounds like a standard jam to me (even though the instruments are very well played) - but I do think the vocals limit the song. They are generally out of tune, especially when they are sung low. And I don't find they are sung with soul (though they are passable when they go high) - and this is perhaps why the Dylan - Hendrix comparison made above doesn't work. Anyway my two cents there!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #35
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafinga View Post
I find the mix very pleasant as well. I'll instead comment on the actual music. I don't enjoy this kind of music - it really just sounds like a standard jam to me (even though the instruments are very well played) - but I do think the vocals limit the song. They are generally out of tune, especially when they are sung low. And I don't find they are sung with soul (though they are passable when they go high) - and this is perhaps why the Dylan - Hendrix comparison made above doesn't work. Anyway my two cents there!
Hendrix with soul ? Well, Iīd rather say with a lot of drugs (dope, alcohol and/or pills !) He was not a very good singer and he knew that, but in some cases it sounded pretty interesting - Hendrix was a lot of hype and Show with burning guitar or pretending to masturbate with the guitar and with a lot of new fx and simply with a lot of loundness / noise, he was a mediocre guitar player, too, by the way - had lots of live recordings with awful playing AND now he is dead thanks to his drug consumption !
Or watch some interviews - the way he talked and moved (gestures), unfocued, awry and slow like being paralyzed or handicapped - his eyes were never clear and heīs brain, too, very sad character (the whole stupid sex, drugs and rock&roll thing!).
Dylon soul ? Well, itīs a matter how one defines "soul", he was/is authentic without any doubt - Marvin Gaye had soul !
The portuguese language often times sounds like this, a little out of tune
to ears that are not used to listen to this language, to me it sounds very interesting. Hendrix very often sang out of tune and even played out of time, well, Mitch Mitchell was way too good for him :-)

But thatīs just the way I see it, not saying I am right

Last edited by Giano; 08-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 PM   #36
Fex

Quote:
But thatīs just the way I see it, not saying I am right
Good, because....
Quote:
he was a mediocre guitar player, too, by the way
.... you're wrong. He was capable of poor performance when smashed out of his skull, as we all are. Otherwise, he was a superb guitarist. That's not just the way I see it, I'm saying I'm right.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #37
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafinga View Post
I do think the vocals limit the song.
I totally agree. I hate my vocals too, the most I can do is process and make them "passable" and get use to listen to my voice on my songs.
When I recorded them I couldn't find anyone to sing my songs so I had to do them all myself.
At least for the sake of reference for a future vocalist.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #38
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Good, because........ you're wrong. He was capable of poor performance when smashed out of his skull, as we all are. Otherwise, he was a superb guitarist. That's not just the way I see it, I'm saying I'm right.
You are right ? Well, maybe in YOUR world and in accordance with the boring Hendrix hype, Hendrix was just a short and sad Episode of a miserably failed... - he was simply a medicocre and loud and flaboyant guitarist and his biggest luck was to meet Mitchell - Hendrix without Mitchell would have been nothing - in his early recordings with e.g. Little Richard you can also hear a guitarist playing wrong notes and with a terrible rythm.
He was a mediocre guitarist and a destructive and depressive personality and a bad Idol for the youth - just like Jim Morrison and many others and the worst thing is young guitarists often times think they must behave like Hendrix drinkin lots of alcohol and smoking dope - Hendrix is a very sad example for the stupdity of Music business.

If you want to hear some superb guitarist better listen to John McLaughlin, George Benson, Paco de Lucia, Al di Meola, Frank Zappa, John Scofield, Sabicas.

Last edited by Giano; 08-28-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #39
Fex

Quote:
I totally agree. I hate my vocals too, the most I can do is process and make them "passable" and get use to listen to my voice on my songs.
I think the vocals could be improved with good pitch adjustment software.
(Ie, with Melodyne. Not with Autotune, which is crap.)

Last edited by Fex; 08-28-2014 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Inserted quote.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #40
Giano
Banned

Quote:
When I recorded them I couldn't find anyone to sing my songs so I had to do them all myself.
At least for the sake of reference for a future vocalist.
So you are imitating Hendrix by saying you do not like your voice?!, well, thatīs sad, because that guy is not a good idol.