Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
RLDuffy
Human being with feelings

Default Loading MIDI Note Names says "12 EDL header items are missing"

When I try to load MIDI Note Name txt files for EZDrummer kits, whether I use txts that I downloaded from the stash or created myself in Notepad or Notepad++, I usually get this error message:

EDL TXT import error
12 EDL header items are missing

Even if I can successfully load a file, the next day when I come back to the project, or try to load it again on a different project, I get the same message. Searching help files, this forum, YouTube, etc., has been unrevealing. Any idea what is going wrong here?
RLDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

That sounds like you're trying to open it via "open project", rather than the note-name loading action.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
RLDuffy

Thanks for your response, but that’s not it. I use File (or right-click) in piano roll to get to “Load note names from file…” & select the txt file. I get the “EDL TXT import” error message & the project closes. I assumed there was something wrong w/ the TXT file, because a few times I could load one successfully. Yet the next day, on a different project, the same TXT file would give me the error message as well. Pretty baffled. I’ve used files provided by others, & carefully creating them from scratch using Notepad or Notepad++.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #4
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem note names file into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)

And, hello and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

What OS is this?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Is it possible you're accidentally dragging the .txt file into the arrange window or into the MIDI editor, rather than choosing "open"? What you're describing is consistent with doing that.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
RLDuffy

Thanks all. I’ve made great use of those help files & videos. You can become very well-informed about the program before even purchasing it.

I’m using Windows 10 Pro. Following these steps, most any MIDI note name file I try to load fails tonight:

Create new project.
Create brief MIDI clip.
Double-click the MIDI clip to bring up Piano Roll
File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…
Select a file.
Project closes, & you see “12 EDL header items are missing”

I’ll add that in the instructions about creating MIDI note name txt files, it says to put a space between the note number & name, but I see a lot of these that have a TAB instead of a space. I’ve tried both ways, & they each work sometimes, & fail often. I’ve also created one after tediously renaming notes in piano roll, & met the same fate.

I’ve attached a txt file for the Modern kit in EZDrummer.

Thank you.

Last edited by RLDuffy; 07-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDuffy View Post
Thanks all. I’ve made great use of those help files & videos. You can become very well-informed about the program before even purchasing it.

I’m using Windows 10 Pro. Following these steps, most any MIDI note name file I try to load fails tonight:

Create new project.
Create brief MIDI clip.
Double-click the MIDI clip to bring up Piano Roll
File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…
Can you make a screenshot of the file browse window that appears at this point? Specifically, does it say "Open Project" or "Load MIDI note names from file:" ?

Quote:
Select a file.
Project closes, & you see “12 EDL header items are missing”
"Project closes" should be a giveaway here -- you're trying to load that txt file as a project rather than note names.

Quote:
I’ll add that in the instructions about creating MIDI note name txt files, it says to put a space between the note number & name, but I see a lot of these that have a TAB instead of a space. I’ve tried both ways, & they each work sometimes, & fail often. I’ve also created one after tediously renaming notes in piano roll, & met the same fate.
Tab or space -- either will work.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #9
RLDuffy

Thank you for sticking with me. I am definitely using “Load Note/CC Names from file.”

Tonight, if I load one that it shows as previously used, it will load the file names. If I instead browse to another txt file, even that very same file, it will fail.

I will attach a document w/ screenshots that tells the story.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:52 AM   #10
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDuffy View Post
I’ve attached a txt file for the Modern kit in EZDrummer.
I've just tried that .txt file. All OK here (v5.92, Windows 7)
>>> https://i.imgur.com/QRePzI1.png

And I can confirm that if I drag the .txt file into the Reaper Arranger I get the "12 EDL items missing" pop-up.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Perhaps Reaper should recognize if you're dragging a note names file onto a MIDI item and load it via drag&drop then, instead of trying to open it as a project?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #12
RLDuffy

Thanks for checking the file; I couldn’t see anything wrong with it either. So it’s helpful to know there’s no hidden problems with the txt file. I wish the program would give me a more helpful clue than “12 EDL header items are missing.”

I appreciate everyone’s help, & I guess it must seem like I’m trying to load this MIDI Note name text file as a project, but honestly I’m not, as shown in the screen capture document I attached.

From Piano Roll, I am using:
File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…| browse to txt file

exactly as directed in the manual & illustrated on numerous demo videos.

But I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. I’ll just consider it a mystery, since no one else seems to have this problem.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
EvilDragon

Why not post the txt file itself, too?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #14
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Why not post the txt file itself, too?
I got the text file from post #7, tried to follow the OPs instructions, no problems here (Win7 / v5.80), I know that doesn't help, IOW if OP has PC problem, bad ram/disc???
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
RLDuffy

Thanks to all who checked the txt file & confirmed there is no glitch with it. For now I’ve worked around the problem by manually changing the note names in Piano Roll for the 3 kits I need, then saving the MIDI note names. Since that puts them on the “previously used” list, & I can load from that list, I can move forward. I just won’t be able to download others’ txt files, or create one in Notepad myself. There are some things that remain mysteries; we’ll chalk it up to electron farts.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Can you install LICEcap ( https://www.ccockos.com/licecap ) and make a .gif of you slowly doing this process? I want to see exactly what happens. Specifically, after you select the .txt file, are you doubleclicking it, or clicking the "open" button?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #17
RLDuffy

Justin,

Thanks for your persistence. The issue of double-clicking the txt file vs click-then-open caught my attention, so I did some experiments. Unfortunately, no clear pattern, & more mystery.

I'm attaching 3 GIFs.

On MIDIFileNameDemoA.gif, you see me go to Piano Roll, File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…| browse to txt file, and DOUBLE-click it. I get the EDL message & the project closes.

On MIDIFileNameDemoB.gif, you see me go to Piano Roll, File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…| browse to txt file, SINGLE-click it, then click Open. It loads successfully.

On MIDIFileNameDemoC.gif, you see me go to Piano Roll, File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…| browse to txt file, SINGLE-click it, and I immediately get the EDL message. Again, a SINGLE LEFT CLICK, & it crashes.

I tried a total of 12 more experiments, but they all went like this—a SINGLE LEFT CLICK gives me the EDL message & closes the project.

So I got one successful load out of 15 tries. I’ll note that it doesn’t matter which of the TXT files I use. The one that was successful failed on multiple repeat tries. And some of the failures work successfully via the previously-used list. I rebooted the computer, & continued to get failures. I replaced my wireless mouse w/ a corded USB mouse, & still get failures.

The only thing that consistently works is Piano Roll, File | Note/CC Names | Load Note/CC Names from file…| and picking one from the previously-used txt files.

Again, appreciate your help. I’m gathering this is a problem not previously seen, so if I can do anything to help, let me know. But if we’ve reached a dead-end, I do have workarounds as previously mentioned.

RL Duffy

Old 06-30-2018, 07:17 AM   #18
DarkStar

Very odd.

As a temporary work-around, you could consider editing your reaper.ini file (!) and adding some "notenamerecent_" entries. Back up the .ini file first, of course.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #19
RLDuffy

Cool, didn't know about that. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #20
DarkStar

Me neither, until I looked at it yesterday.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Hmm a single click doing anything in the file browse dialog is very odd.

Do you have any custom explorer shell extensions installed? Any other system-level customization software? Your mouse cursor looks non-stock...

If you doubleclick a .txt file in Explorer, what happens?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #22
RLDuffy

No custom shell extensions. I use Directory Opus as my file manager, but I don’t have it set to replace Windows Explorer. In either Directory Opus or Windows Explorer, a single left click of a txt file merely selects it; a double-click opens it in Notepad. In most any program (e.g., MS Word), opening a file requires left click-open or a double-left click. I use the color scheme for my mouse pointer “Windows Inverted (large) (system scheme).”
Old 10-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #23
galley

Default I have the SAME issue!

I have been using midinotenames files in my orchestration templates for a long time. RECENTLY, I started experiencing this same problem. I will select a file & BOOM! the project crashes. I get the same "12 EDL Header Item Missing" error.
I have been using these same text files for at least 3 years without ever having a problem. I am thinking it is a Reaper upgrade issue.
I am using Storyteller OTR template which I purchased in July, but it was about the same time that Reaper came out with two upgrades within a short time of one another.
I am hoping someone can figure this out because it is a real hassle!
galley is offline   Reply With Quote