Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Mr_Walkaway
Human being with feelings

Default Piano Keyboard Noise Filter on Microphone

Hello,
I'm attempting to do some live recordings from some twitch streams I do. However, my microphone for singing is about 18" above my keyboard, and it picks up all the thunking noise as my keys hit the keybed. Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to attempt to filter this out?
Thanks!
Mr_Walkaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
ivansc

One of the instrument-oriented reflection filters? Wont do away with it entirely if you are a black belt piano basher, like me, but it does help.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
clepsydrae

Putting the mic closer to your mouth (and lowering the gain to compensate) should help. That will also allow you to eq some low end out (due to the proximity effect of the mic) which might help a little with the thumping. But the distance from mouth to mic will be the main factor, as it will change the voice/piano ratio dramatically.

I assume you're already using a cardioid or hypercardioid mic, as opposed to an omni.

It it still doesn't work (though it bet it will) you could also try using a figure-8 mic pattern and pointing the "null" at the keyboard.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Mr_Walkaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Putting the mic closer to your mouth (and lowering the gain to compensate) should help. That will also allow you to eq some low end out (due to the proximity effect of the mic) which might help a little with the thumping. But the distance from mouth to mic will be the main factor, as it will change the voice/piano ratio dramatically.

I assume you're already using a cardioid or hypercardioid mic, as opposed to an omni.

It it still doesn't work (though it bet it will) you could also try using a figure-8 mic pattern and pointing the "null" at the keyboard.
I'm using a Behringer B-1, an LDC which *says* it's a cardioid, but I've so many problems with Behringer gear at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they put the wrong word on the box.

I'll try just eating the mic and lowering the gain, thanks!

@ivansc - I'm not clear which filters you're referring to, could you link to one to give an example?

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Walkaway View Post

@ivansc - I'm not clear which filters you're referring to, could you link to one to give an example?

Thanks!
Heres a really swanky expensive one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Halo...EAAOSwopRYmxqX

Or you can always use one of the inexpensive foam ones from people like Auralex. Hang on.....

Found this which is a complete kit but all you really need is the little foam gobo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Micro...YAAOSwqfNXlPNz
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
Fergler

If you're using cardioid, angle it so its back faces the keyboard.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Mr_Walkaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
If you're using cardioid, angle it so its back faces the keyboard.
Hi, it's a Behringer B-1 Condenser mic (cardiod), however, I can find nothing on their site that shows the proper direction for this. I know this is newb-level, but I'm not sure what direction it should face - any help on that? Here's a link to the mic:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1m
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Walkaway View Post
I know this is newb-level, but I'm not sure what direction it should face - any help on that? Here's a link to the mic:
We all had to learn at some point, too. :-) You can see the outline of a circular diaphragm inside the basket of the B1. This should be aligned so that you address the microphone from the side, as pictured here (you don't have to have a wind screen, I'm just using that pic to show orientation). Thus the "back" of the mic is on the opposite side.

I once had a friend spend a lot of money on a fancy mic to do home recording, and she was very disappointed in the results. We figured out that she was accidentally routing the built-in mic on her laptop into the DAW, which was sitting several feet away from her and her instrument and her fancy mic, and obviously sounded like crap.

So the moral: if you were singing into the end of the mic instead of the side, and it was pointing at the keys, that could explain what happened. :-) If not, maybe adjusting the angle will still help.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
vdubreeze

For the cost of the items to deal with it (Aston Halo, etc) which would help minimally at best you can get a controller keyboard that's quieter.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
Mr_Walkaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
We all had to learn at some point, too. :-) You can see the outline of a circular diaphragm inside the basket of the B1. This should be aligned so that you address the microphone from the side, as pictured here (you don't have to have a wind screen, I'm just using that pic to show orientation). Thus the "back" of the mic is on the opposite side.

I once had a friend spend a lot of money on a fancy mic to do home recording, and she was very disappointed in the results. We figured out that she was accidentally routing the built-in mic on her laptop into the DAW, which was sitting several feet away from her and her instrument and her fancy mic, and obviously sounded like crap.

So the moral: if you were singing into the end of the mic instead of the side, and it was pointing at the keys, that could explain what happened. :-) If not, maybe adjusting the angle will still help.
Thanks so much! I do have it pointed down a bit so that it's probably picking up more keyboard clacking than it should, I'll adjust it some and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
For the cost of the items to deal with it (Aston Halo, etc) which would help minimally at best you can get a controller keyboard that's quieter.
While you're not necessarily wrong, part of the reason I use the type of keyboard I use is for the quality hammer action. As a classically-trained pianist, I'm not very interested in the synth-style waterfall or semi-weighted actions on most controllers. And even the highest end keyboards with true hammer actions (such as the Nord Stage and the Korg SV-1, both of which I use) have some clunking in them - it's because the levers/hammers/whatever-mechanism-the-particular-brand-uses are actually moving inside to help simulate a traditional grand piano's hammer action. I'm just hoping to mitigate how much of this natural sound make it into my vocal mic.