Old 10-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Tracy
Human being with feelings

Default Varying Latency

I am getting different guitar latency apparently depending on track processing in other tracks. Is this normal?

Track 1 is my guitar input with an amp sim and a couple of other effects. Live latency is almost imperceptible. Awesome.

I create track 2, add a couple of effects (ReaPitch, ReaDelay) and Track 1 latency plummets to a very noticeable delay.

Muting rack 2 brings back imperceptible latency.

Is this to be expected? I would not expect extra processing on one channel to effect latency in a different channel.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
valy

Isn't it a "weakest link" situation? Latency compensation means that all tracks must be synced up at the master, so your latency is going to necessarily be equal to the track with the highest latency, right?
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
6xes
Banned

you would indeed get fluctuating latency... in the event the cpu-processor or cores are overloaded... this in turn accounts for the delay you hear.

Use control+alt+P opens up the performance monitor.. so you can see the affect that fx have
6xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xes View Post
you would indeed get fluctuating latency... in the event the cpu-processor or cores are overloaded... this in turn accounts for the delay you hear.

Use control+alt+P opens up the performance monitor.. so you can see the affect that fx have
Nope. Latency at given buffer size should be constant, overtaxing the CPU might give you glitchy intermittent audio, but not floating latency.

Like Valy says, OP is adding some plugin with adds PDC latency to the project(reapitch most likely), which will slow down the entire thing.

edit: I forgot about the solution - mess around with reapitch settings until PDC is low or zero (not sure if possible, I don't use it) or seek another faster pitch shifter plugin, like Pitchproof.

Last edited by zeekat; 10-19-2020 at 01:15 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
mschnell

You might want to take a look at the "Live" subforum here.

Plugins can impose latency. Same is compensated by Reaper in a media playback situation buy "PDC handling", but this can't be done in a Live situation.

Here you might be better with switching PDC off with for your plugins.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Tracy

Thanks all. Appreciate the advice. I am unfamiliar with PDC (Plug-in Delay Compensation?), the Performance Monitor and the Live subforum. I will dive into those.

Last edited by Tracy; 10-20-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
robemois

This might be a little off topic, but I was trying to get rid of the high latency that was introduced when I loaded the MPC 2 plugin into Reaper, that was made it impossible to play the pads properly. I fixed that by switching off anticipative fx for that track. That's in the right click menu of a track in the performance sub-menu (or maybe track properties).

Last edited by robemois; 12-07-2020 at 03:34 AM.
robemois is offline   Reply With Quote