Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
randygo
Human being with feelings

Default ReaTune - Pitch to MIDI ?

Hey the ReaTune plugin looks interesting.

I wonder if this could this be used to used to generate MIDI from a simple audio melody line.

Cheers,

Randy
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Christophe
Immortal

As long as the audio input signal is monophonic, the MIDI generated should be usable. You can then chain a JS MIDI transpose plugin if you need to change the octaves of the generated notes.

-Christophe
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
randygo

Hey this is pretty cool! I just inserted this plugin and a synth to one of my vocal tracks and it seems to be following along fairly well.

However, what is the easiest way to mute the vocal so I can hear just the synth? They seem to be blended together in the track.

Cheers,

Randy
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randygo View Post
Hey this is pretty cool! I just inserted this plugin and a synth to one of my vocal tracks and it seems to be following along fairly well.

However, what is the easiest way to mute the vocal so I can hear just the synth? They seem to be blended together in the track.

Cheers,

Randy

after reatune and before the synth, insert a js/volume and crank it to -120db
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
malcolmj

According to this plugin my Rhodes is perfectly in tune. It must be buggy ...
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
politcat

unfriggin believable! i just now spent a half hour looking for a simple audio to midi converter to use on rhythm parts. i gave up and came here to check things when lo and behold...

many thx!!!
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
marce

It works better than lots of "audio to midi" things out there. With some enhancements can be a bomb.
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Bevoss

Very cool plugin! Great for quickly checking what a specific note in an arrangement is, seems pretty accurate to me.
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
Billoon

This is really cool....tracks pretty good. Dont need to buy a midi pickup for my guitar now, sweet.

It would be cool if we could set the minimum input volume that it will detect a note at.

Is it possible to record the midi output of ReaTune at the moment?
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post
This is really cool....tracks pretty good. Dont need to buy a midi pickup for my guitar now, sweet.

It would be cool if we could set the minimum input volume that it will detect a note at.

Yes you can record the midi output, or use it to play a virtual instrument.

Would be nice if this plugins evolves, to be able to convert the volume to any CC message.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billoon View Post
Yes, just select "output (MIDI)" as the record input of the track, this will, however, record to the same track, but you can also reoute the audio or the midi data from and/or to another track.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #12
Billoon

Ah, got it...ta.

Ive got ReaTune on one track and ReaSynth on another(set to recieve midi from the ReaTune track) so i can record the audio and the midi at the same time...or just disable the output of the audio track to play the synth on its own....wicked.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
bullshark

There's this weird delay thing going thought, making it difficult to play anything unless it's pad stuff with long decay and medium atack.

Is it the window size setting that add latency like that? I can't really test because if it's too short I get no sound at all and too long it act weird, has to be between 25 and 50 for it to work at all.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

were using it as a guitar tuner! (live on reaper radio of course )
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #15
Art Evans
Mortal

I'm listening to a recording of a sax solo being replayed via ReaTune on the LazySnake VSTi (and now a flute - I have an old CD of test instrumental tracks and sound FX) - and it's pretty remarkable. Having a compression/limiting vst before ReaTune can help if the original audio level varies a fair bit (maybe even build one in?). Now using the Saxi sampled sax VSTi doubling with the recorded sax - weird!

Loadsa fun!

Last edited by Art Evans; 01-07-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #16
DrJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
There's this weird delay thing going thought, making it difficult to play anything unless it's pad stuff with long decay and medium atack.

Is it the window size setting that add latency like that? I can't really test because if it's too short I get no sound at all and too long it act weird, has to be between 25 and 50 for it to work at all.
think it depends on what you're using to drive it, was just playin with it using my guitar and with a small window size (5-10ms) it could only track stuff on the bottom 3 strings. think this is because with lower fundamentals it needs more time to figure out what the pitch is, due to the longer wavelength or something... not really sure, maybe someone who knows about this stuff could get out a calculator and figure it out! just make me think how cool the human ear is, it's really quick at tracking

and yea window size will add to latency depending on the setting
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
scottieboy

I added ReaTune to the FX bin on an existing track I recorded with my guitar. Created a new track to receive my guitar track, and added ReaSynth to the FX bin. I've armed this new track to record MIDI. But when I start recording, it doesnt seem to be recording anything. I'm lost. How do I get the midi recorded to another track?
scottieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #18
Alistair S

Place Reatune, followed by the synth on the second track and route your first (guitar track) to it.

Click the check box about sending CC events and you are set.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #19
scottieboy

I'm not sure what check box CC you are talking about? the one in the midi editor? if so, that box is checked.....

but anyway, I've done what you said, and the new track is recording, but i dont see any midi events in the track, its laying down a blank track. and when i play this new track back, it still just sounds like my guitar, not a synth sound....
Old 01-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #20
marce

Step by Step:

1-Add ReaTune to the FX of the audio track you want "convert" to midi.
2-Inside Reatune check "Send MIDI events when pitch changes"
3-Go to the "I/O Routing" of the Audio track. Route it to the track where you have your midi synth, under "SENDS": Route ONLY the MIDI data "All channels to All channels". In the Audio combo box route "None to Channel 1/2"
4-Go to the "I/O Routing" of the MIDI Track. Select the Audio track in your "RECEIVES" (if you did the previous step well, it is done automatically)
5-You are done.

Tip 1: If you want, you can select an specific midi channel instead of all them.

Tip 2: You can put GSNAP or any other AUTOTUNE in the fx sidechain before REATUNE, to make more easy for REATUNE to recognize the pitch of your audio.

luck!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #21
Art Evans
Mortal

Gsnap crashes Reaper instantly here.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #22
fluffy

GSnap is crashing Reaper here, as well. I used to work, however.
I bought a new computer recently, but I can't recall if it started crashing Reaper before of after the new machine. I think it started with the new machine.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Gsnap crashes Reaper instantly here.
GSnap crashes, got to check that...
... well works here (as before),though.

But the MIDI stuff in it doesn't work
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
alpoman

Justin did say more updates for tuner were coming - it is cool though - tweaked up, incredible!

andy
alpoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #25
scottieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Step by Step:

1-Add ReaTune to the FX of the audio track you want "convert" to midi.
2-Inside Reatune check "Send MIDI events when pitch changes"
3-Go to the "I/O Routing" of the Audio track. Route it to the track where you have your midi synth, under "SENDS": Route ONLY the MIDI data "All channels to All channels". In the Audio combo box route "None to Channel 1/2"
4-Go to the "I/O Routing" of the MIDI Track. Select the Audio track in your "RECEIVES" (if you did the previous step well, it is done automatically)
5-You are done.

Tip 1: If you want, you can select an specific midi channel instead of all them.

Tip 2: You can put GSNAP or any other AUTOTUNE in the fx sidechain before REATUNE, to make more easy for REATUNE to recognize the pitch of your audio.

luck!
Cool! Thanks! I got the new track to record the midi events, and i hear the synth sound.

One more silly question. Say I wanted a tuba, or flute, or sax, or whatever play these midi notes......how do I get that?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #26
DrJ

as Justin mentioned somewhere, compression will help, and to help with the tracking i would try pitchshifting the audio up an octave or two before Reatune and then after Reatune transposing the midi down the same amount...

haven't tried this yet tho, may try later if my sinusitus clears up

(actually it was Art who mentioned compression... sorry Art!)

Last edited by DrJ; 01-07-2007 at 06:53 PM.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #27
marce

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieboy View Post
Cool! Thanks! I got the new track to record the midi events, and i hear the synth sound.

One more silly question. Say I wanted a tuba, or flute, or sax, or whatever play these midi notes......how do I get that?

What synth are you playing with?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #28
Art Evans
Mortal

Taking a guess at the answer required re the tuba flute or sax, you could try the free sfz VSTi soundfont player with a suitable soundfont that google might help you find. (For a sax, try the saxi VSTi, though. It's pretty convincing).
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #29
alpoman

Default window size

I noticed that the window size option works well with small numbers for higher pitches, and bigger numbers the lower the notes to be detected. So, in order to get the low notes to track, you need to set this to bigger numbers, but if you want low latency (2ms is my target), you can select "5", but then it only tracks the very upper notes on a guitar. I think the object for Justin is to get it to work on a large dynamic range at the lowest window size possible(latency) - this would enable a tight feel when doing a bass track with a guitar.
very interesting, I can't wait to see the advances on this one!
Nice job guys!
Andy
Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #30
Art Evans
Mortal

Small numbers also cause more jittering around from note to note if there is any vibrato on the original sound. Large numbers give more stability but rapid phrases may then not be tracked accurately.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #31
alpoman

yeah, this is a common thing with harmonziers, octavers, pitcharoosthingys - the delay to process a stable signal often just muds up on faster things. This may be where higher sample rates might give more accurate/faster results. It's like high speed camera footage of a bullet hitting an apple - more pictures are taken in smaller amount of time so the playback will be really in-focus, and smooth. Maybe this is the reason nobody can make a decent vst or dx harmonizer that works in "realtime" (5ms or lower) without having all the artifacts. - but Art, you are right in what you said though- lower numbers cause it to jump around a bit, while lower numbers (increased latency) gives more accurate pitches. People have been asking for a smart "vocal harmonizer" plug-in for years in many forums, maybe it just can't be done with current processors and sample rates - We need faster everything!

andy

Andy
Old 01-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
Christophe
Immortal

Here's the latest version of Reatune (put in your plugins/fx folder):

http://reaper.fm/files/reatune.dll

It has the following changelog:
+ ReaTune: added reference frequency adjustment
+ ReaTune: bigger tuner display and more colors for the cents display
+ ReaTune: slightly more accurate pitch detection
+ ReaTune: better graph display
+ ReaTune: configuration remembering

Automatic pitch correction and harmonizer modes coming soon!

-Christophe
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #33
alpoman

you guys are the best! can't wait!

andy
Old 01-08-2007, 01:50 AM   #34
Finnish

Hmmmmm, very interesting. Can I use this to convert drums tracks to MIDI, and then trigger some samples with those MIDI-notes?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #35
edgecrusher

@finnish

that's a great idea! +1!

btw: is it normal that the midi notes aren't displayed after recording? everything works fine here, i can record (and it really kicks ass!), but i can't edit the midi part, because it seems to be empty (although it's played back).

am i doing something wrong?

thanx
edge
edgecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #36
Art Evans
Mortal

Christophe, do you think it would be possible or useful to show the average detune of the notes being analysed as well as the instantaneous detune? So that one could get an idea whether on the whole the original instrument being tracked is generally sharp or flat compared with the reference pitch? You could split the blocks in the display in two horizonatally, the upper part then being the instantaneous intonation deviation, and the lower part the average.

(Currently testing with sax and flute solos "driving" the Suburban Guitarist/FreeAmpSE2.0 VSTi combo - now that works rather well as the nature of the guitar is appropriate to the situation).

Last edited by Art Evans; 01-08-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #37
scottieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
What synth are you playing with?

I dont know, the one that came with Reaper I guess. I'm very new to this stuff.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #38
yep

This feature is totally awesome Justin & Christophe. Thank you for kicking ass.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #39
scottieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Taking a guess at the answer required re the tuba flute or sax, you could try the free sfz VSTi soundfont player with a suitable soundfont that google might help you find. (For a sax, try the saxi VSTi, though. It's pretty convincing).
Hey thanks, i just saw this. I tested out the soundfont player you recommended, and after a little more research and some testing, I finally got a tuba soundfont to play my "reatuned" midi guitar track. So awesome! Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
winbe

Default GORGEOUS !

WOW !

I just saw this thread, plugged my guitar, Reatune, Cheeze Machine VSTi by Big Tick, preset 2 on "Cheese Lead" program, blue stereo delay and blue reverb and played some high notes (I set the Reatune to 5ms) with Tube Screamer + JCM900 (my favorite combination)...

Then I discovered the excellent JS-MIDI chordizer that I was not aware of, and added two notes (4 and 5, or 5 and 12), and I was in heaven !!

Thanks for giving us all this in the Reaper package. Each day I discover new possibilies, that will undoubtfully help my inspiration !
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote