Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
ilr
Human being with feelings

Default "Comments" column in Track Manager (and TCP)

Please vote "YES" here:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4803

Request:

A column in the track manager that allows to leave comments for the individual tracks, i.e. what microphones were used or what is to be done with them...

Benefit:

Simple and clearly laid out comments per track. All visible at once.

Reason

Notes in the project settings are great for overall information, but not so much if we need specifics on a per track basis. Schwas notepad is a laborious workaround.

Bonus:

An option to show/hide/toggle these comments visible directly in the TCP.

Please vote "YES" here:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4803

Last edited by ilr; 05-11-2013 at 06:26 AM.
ilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
MichaJo

Not a bad idea to have such notes as a column in Track Manager.
Whereas i don't use it that much to get information about the tracks but to manage the tracks and it's features.
Secondly in the track manager itself there's no place to show your comments. You'd probably have to click and open a new window.

Have you seen the SWS notes option?
(Project notes, item notes, track notes, Marker/Region names, Marker/Region subtitles, Action help)

Michael
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
ilr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
Secondly in the track manager itself there's no place to show your comments. You'd probably have to click and open a new window.

Have you seen the SWS notes option?
(Project notes, item notes, track notes, Marker/Region names, Marker/Region subtitles, Action help)

Michael
Actually, I think the track manager is a good place to put the notes in, take a look at this:

I tried the SWS notes, but unless I did something wrong, it wasn't very intuitive. Opening a window and then changing the track selection to reveal the individual tracks notes? - Nah...
The good thing about the track manager way would be the instant overview we have over all comments - no extra windows involved.

Last edited by ilr; 05-12-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Vendetta V

Hey that doesnt even look like something was even changed there!!
And yet that'd be one hell of a useful feature to have! Guess implementing won't be too hard in terms of design, the space is available to begin with, no interference with any other feature either and plus it's just words to be added, no difficult algorithms needed!
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
ilr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
Hey that doesnt even look like something was even changed there!!
What do you mean? I didn't change anything in the gif, I just pointed out where the comments could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
And yet that'd be one hell of a useful feature to have! Guess implementing won't be too hard in terms of design, the space is available to begin with, no interference with any other feature either and plus it's just words to be added, no difficult algorithms needed!
While I have no idea about the technical aspects, these are my thoughts exactly!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
planetnine

I'm up for anything like this. The way I work, where a project can be spread over many sessions, or even years (not kidding here), note-keeping is very important to my workflow.

If I didn't keep notes between tracking on location and the various stages of review and mixing, synching, etc, I'd not have a clue what was going on. I could get a request for remixes, versions or copies of any of probably hundreds of recordings and I like to hit the ground running, so to speak.

The above would save me making notes in Notepad and saving them in the project folder -not very integral...

Edit: yes, I voted too...

>

Last edited by planetnine; 05-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.
planetnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
airon

Voted. It'll be a usefull addition for me as well.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilr View Post
I tried the SWS notes, but unless I did something wrong, it wasn't very intuitive. Opening a window and then changing the track selection to reveal the individual tracks notes? - Nah...
The good thing about the track manager way would be the instant overview we have over all comments - no extra windows involved.
Funny, this is how S&M notes were made in the very first place Well, in a new column "Notes" of the SWS TrackList, not the Track Manager.

FWIW, it turned out a single line sucked big time in real life, so we had to open the full thing in dialog box anyway, etc.
That's why S&M Notes follow track selection (nice when docked or when dispayed à la "Big clock" for ex).

EDIT: I understand this FR is for REAPER, but let me know if billions of people would like this column back, i.e. "the first line of S&M track notes [...]" in SWS TrackList: it would not cost much.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote