Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: How do you feel about this sample path idea?
I would use this frequently! 4 80.00%
this would come in handy sometimes! 0 0%
meh, wouldn't use really ..... 0 0%
this is a waste of the developers time 0 0%
I don't understand ????? 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings

Default Can we get a relative path for custom sample libraries?

Could we get an option in the preferences for setting a sample library location?
I often use the same samples and impulses in lots of projects and move between computers, so this would save some space and hassle.

This could allow for easier file management and less issues with missing files. It could be beneficial for sharing track and fx templates (that include samples), impulse responses, ReaSamplOmatic5000, and media items.

AN EXAMPLE OF HOW THIS WOULD WORK:
Computer A has a sample library defined as "C:\USER\Documents\MYSAMPLES\ "
Computer B has a library defined as " D:\SAMPLES\ "

I've placed the same folder of drum samples called "Drums" in both locations
If i use a file from that folder called 808kick.wav on computer A, and later open the project on computer B, rather than Reapers replace a missing file dialogue saying:
The following file could not be found:
C:\USER\Documents\MYSAMPLES\Drums\808kick.wav

It would just automatically search for "\Drums\808kick.wav" STARTING from the location D:\SAMPLES\.

THANKS
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
mschnell

What do you think Reaper (or any DAW) can do about Sample Libraries ? Those are a pure issue of the plugin used.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
J Riley Hill

hmmm, no it's not meant to be a plugin issue. I guess I didn't explain it adequately. Thanks for your response, I feel like I'm not able to make this clear.

In my example I was trying to talk about placing a sample directly in the timeline as a media item. I often edit drums by placing files directly in the timeline like this guy is doing in this video:
https://youtu.be/LF4a-2lX51U

A number of DAWS feature a relative path to a sample library that is used for things such as loops and oneshot samples instead of an absolute path. In Ableton it's called the "Library", Studio One has something similar.

I move projects across different computers often.....The idea is you can save space and time by having a sample folder with a collection of samples you use all the time on all your computers. This way you don't have to copy them into every single project that uses them.

There is an added benefit because REAPER also has an integrated sampler, and an integrated convolution reverb. Both of these could benefit from a relative path to your sample collection.

Let me give another example:
I have a large sample collection that I keep on an external hard drive and bring to studios I work at, and I also have it copied to my laptop. It has tons of oneshot samples and loops, but it also has lots of Impulse responses.

If I make a reverb preset, FX chain or track template with ReaVerb that uses one of my own impulses, I can't use that preset on another computer without having to manually load the impulse response, or copy my impulse to the same location as the preset (more copying, more redundancy, more unnecessary time organizing samples). Having the ability to set a relative sample library path would fix this and make REAPER more complete as a production center IMO.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
mschnell

As the term "Sample Library" is already taken by information to be used by a sampler, you should call theses things someway else e.g. "audio snippets".

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
J Riley Hill

Good point, yes, maybe that or something like "User Media Library" would be a more applicable term
Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
ejanejarr

I can sympathize with this, since I'm going from laptop to desktop and back all the time and I think it's a good idea as long as it meant Reaper says 'ok, this clip comes from the library path, I'll look for it where the library is in this computer' and it's seamless and easy but I wouldn't sit waiting for it. In the meantime, I think you could do as well just by telling Reaper to copy all those sounds into your project folder before you shift computers. You can do that from the Project Bay window. Besides, once you finish a song, I think it's safer to have everything from it in one folder, for safekeeping.
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
heda

I suggest you to learn about symbolic links in your OS. This way you can have the same path on both systems.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
J Riley Hill

Hey, ejanejarr thanks for the suggestion. I do use the project bay all the time and that is a really good way to collect files I agree.

HeDa, thanks for the suggestion, I'm aware of symbolic links. The problem is I also switch between operating systems often. I'm not aware of a way I could use symbolic links in this case, because windows uses drive numbers and unix based operating systems like OSX and linux go from root.

Obviously this isn't a "problem" with REAPER it's just a feature that would be nice to have, so I wanted to see if anyone else would be interested.