Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
mykrobinson
Human being with feelings

Default Automation Envelopes - Bezier Curves Possible?

Is it possible to draw smooth bezier curves on automation envelopes? Just looking for ways to make much smoother automation edits.

Thanks
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
juliansader

Bézier is indeed one of the point shapes that can be used in automation envelopes. (Except in the tempo envelope, which can only use square and linear.)

I am not sure what you mean by "draw", but if you set the default envelope point shape to Bézier, you can freehand draw nice smooth envelopes using either REAPER's native mouse modifiers, or SWS's "Freehand draw envelope while snapping points" action.

BTW, the SWS action can be linked to a mouse modifier in the Envelope lane / Left click context: left-click once to start drawing, and release the mouse modifier keys to stop drawing.

(The Slow start/end point shape is also nicely smooth.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
mykrobinson

Might need a little more help with this one. I did find that if I create a start and end point, then use Alt+Left Mouse, I can adjust the curve between the two points. Is that essentially what you mean?

Perhaps I am stealing from the art community, but I suppose I am looking for something similar to how you draw curves in a vector editing app like Inkscape, Corel Draw, or Adobe Illustrator.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Lokasenna

After setting a point's shape to Bezier, you can Alt+Drag (by default) the curve itself to play with the curve's tension.

You can also (by default, I think) use Ctrl+Drag to freehand draw a bunch of points, then right-click the envelope and select "Reduce number of points" to smooth it out a bit.